(Topic ID: 160650)

Have LCD displays killed red DMDs for you?

By Aurich

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 226 posts
  • 116 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Max_Badazz
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download_(resized).jpg
Capture_(resized).JPG
20160531_223906_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
640x960_(resized).jpg
prince_(resized).jpg
Ken-shoryu-ts.gif
2a4e7884f9b513cd90a3e5dd35cc384c9ecc901c4e3f4355efc64e9adb1ca89b_(resized).jpg
PastedGraphic-B_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
Capture_(resized).JPG
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Wow. You go girl.

I thought you said in the other thread you were going to let it go? That was only like 2 days ago.

How is typing this doing anything positive for pinball?

We have a saying here in NZ.. you may even have it there. It seems apt in this case. "Act your age, not your shoe size"

If you don't like what Aurich has to say, put him on ignore, and move on.

Thanks in advance.

rd

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

We have a saying here in NZ.. you may even have it there.

Well you are a notoriously relaxed dude RD.

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well you are a notoriously relaxed dude RD.

You gotta be. Live is faaaaarrrrrr too short to get into petty bickers on an Internet pinball forum. I come here because I like to play pinball machines.

For f**k sakes, we all have enough stress in our daily lives already without bringing poison to a pinball website.

Some people need to take a good look at themselves and make some good life decisions. How are you making your world a better place? How are you contributing to the things you love? If the answer is "I'm not" then time to turn it around.

IMO.

rd

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

We have a saying here in NZ.. you may even have it there. It seems apt in this case. "Act your age, not your shoe size"

We have the same saying here in the States, Prince put music to it.

prince_(resized).jpgprince_(resized).jpg

In Europe shoe sizes are different, so someone commonly would have a shoe size larger than their age...

640x960_(resized).jpg640x960_(resized).jpg

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Personally, I have no issue with a red DMD. I rarely watch it anyway, only to get information that is required for game play. A DMD conveys this information well.
I'd rather buy a Stern Pro with DMD for $4700 (usd) rather than a Stern Pro with fancy LCD screen for $5500.
rd

I agree.

I *do* like LCD screens and what they can bring to the table. I'm very impressed with how the LCD and the HD movie clips help immerse you in the Hobbit. But I'm only looking at it when the ball is stopped.

The LCD screen most certainly has not "killed red DMD's" for me. I absolutely love the Red DMD animations on my TWD. The artistic creativity that went into creating those dots is *very* impressive, and it is actually something that I will miss when the DMD goes away in future games.

So yeah, the answer to the question posed in the thread title: absolutely not.

#156 7 years ago

Not that I have really ANY idea about this, but I could see the temptation to get lazy when using movie clips as an eye-catching feature on an LCD.

I will admit that when real images are rendered into a red DMD, they look pretty abysmal (GOT, I love ya, but eww).

Dots are that well done (Metallica, Ghostbusters) add something special to the game. It is obvious that time was spent on each detail as opposed to slapping in footage from a flick. Also, any sort of "custom" footage that may be added to an LCD display may look odd. If you hire someone to sound like Bilbo, that's fine. If you hire someone who kinda looks like Bilbo, it may look slightly out of place.

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Who cares if TWD has a red DMD? It is quite simply one of the best machines ever made because of its code. Would it be "better" with a beautifully integrated colour HD display?? Sure it would! The fact that it doesn't have one though, doesn't make it a lesser pinball machine. I play TWD 30 to one over my shiny new Hobbit.

One thing that really makes the red DMD in TWD more than acceptable to me is that it isn't like GB or IM or other pins that try to take movie clips and convert them into dots that look like crap. TWD has some of the best custom dots in terms of creativity that I've ever seen. But I repeat myself.

#158 7 years ago

Agreed, the dots are amazing in TWD and MET.

It seems that we have 2 schools of thought clashing with each other:

"Every pin should have a Color LCD!"
"I should be able to buy a new pin for less than $5000!"

I agree that we're in a gray area once the price goes over $6500. But if Stern pushes the Pro past the $5k mark to update the display, Pro sales are going to suffer.

The beauty of ColorDMD is that you can ease in that cost later. Ask your wife to put it under the Christmas tree, or whatever.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

But if Stern pushes the Pro past the $5k mark to update the display, Pro sales are going to suffer.

#160 7 years ago

I prefer my games to keep score via abacus. None of these fancy-schmancy light displays.

#161 7 years ago

I wouldn't say killed Red DMD
I also enjoy seven digit display games as well.

But if you ask which display is better, TBL is way ahead.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#162 7 years ago

For me, as a pinball enthusiast, fun trumps everything. I think LCD is the way to go unless it is done in such a way that it detracts from the fun. Or, to be blunt, if the artists, designers, and programmers can’t get their shit together and use the LCD in such a way that the player can appreciate and consume the content when playing, the LCD doesn’t do much for me as a player. If a key bit of information is two feet away from the playfield, near the top of 27 inch screen, amongst a ton of other graphics and animations all over the screen at the same time, while one or more balls are flying around on the playfield and you’re dealing with hand-eye coordination… that’s where I think the content doesn’t make the game more fun. Great for spectators though. In terms of fun, I have to give TBL a gold star for using a not-as-tall, wide LCD, well-integrated with in-game stop-and-go. The content is richer than a DMD, fun to look at, and easily parsed. Looks like a super fun game.

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I agree with you. This assertion is laughable. I haven't seen EBDs, Fathoms, or Whirlwinds going cheap lately, and they are a couple display technologies behind.

And what about the non-premium titles?

A C/B DMD title still sells for more than a C/B title SS.. heck they sell for more than most premium SS titles.

The same will happen for DMD titles.. an average LCD game will still probably sell for more than an average DMD title. This will be skewed by the # of HUO DMD titles where it will be slower for those prices to drop. We saw this for almost all the modern Stern titles... the more people spent on a game, the higher the 'floor' is for those titles. And why crappy Stern games from the early 2000s still usually demand more than a 90s DMD that is actually a better game.

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I thought you said in the other thread you were going to let it go? That was only like 2 days ago.
How is typing this doing anything positive for pinball?

Dave, I appreciate it, but I don't even know who you're talking to, my ignore list is longer than it used to be. Anyone who wants to be a crybaby about my posts because I have an opinion while working on a game can whine without me seeing it. Just let them look like fools, no need to give them attetion.

You're right though, constantly trying to make everything personal just lessens the hobby and Pinside. Grow up, who cares if I think red DMDs on new games look lame? Oh, poor Stern, better white knight up!

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

But if you ask which display is better, TBL is way ahead.

Damn, did you get yours? That's super hot. I love that size. Can't wait to play Rarehero's!

#165 7 years ago

I frame it as..

When I see BOP 2.0... it amazes me how much the new display brings to the game.
When I bought MET... there was no way I could not have a ColorDMD in it.. it brings so much compared to the stock display

When I play TBL.. the screen is meh to me...
When I play Hobbit... the screen isn't as big of a factor as much as the screen is different from a ColorDMD
When I play FT... the screen is insignifcant for me in terms of making me like the game or not. The backbox sure looks nicer than the non-LCD backbox FT that's for sure.

So where does that leave me? It seems color is key, but size? maybe not so much. Be innovative with the display, not just for prettier display.

Hobbit's display is so stunning.. but it hasn't really changed how I play yet.

Maybe it's like speakers... eventually you get into diminishing returns until people start using the speakers for new and different things.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I wouldn't say killed Red DMD
I also enjoy seven digit display games as well.

So then, why is it that you upgraded BOP to 2.0?

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

So then, why is it that you upgraded BOP to 2.0?

It certainly makes the game better...and it has nothing to do with the DMD (I mean that helps for sure). BOP is a horribly boring game in original form...2.0 adds a lot of good things.

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

WOZ LCD doesn't impress me much, it might actually be better to me in DMD form.

That is a funny thought - people modding their WOZs and THs with single-colour DMDs.

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I did let it go after Aurich cried in the Alien thread he felt it was unfair he and Heighway were being questioned on Pinside. I was sympathetic to his cause when I read that as I have already stated. Not two days later Aurich went right back to his old ways of bashing his competitors right here in this very thread. He inflected the same actions he begged Pinside to be left alone on.

This is totally unprofessional of the only industry person left posting on Pinside. Here in the states we call that hypocrisy.

Quoted from rotordave:

Many of us have asked what is Aurich's shoe size? Seriously. Why is he allowed to get away with things no one else is?

Quoted from rotordave:

I have answered that question before and it is a matter of Pinside record. I'll not be redundant here and I'll not block him. Speaking of footwear, how about putting the shoe on the other foot and you guys blocking me..... No? Then don't suggest I need to to do it.

Any further discussion is off topic and I suggest you contact me privately if you wish to continue. In the meantime I will continue to call out bullshit when I see it whether it be the golden boy or someone else.

Have a day.

#170 7 years ago

i played a few different games at a recent expo and got to experience all sorts of color displays and DMDs. Full Throttle, Wizard of Oz, The Hobbit, The Big Lebowski

At the end of the day, I think i preferred how they did it with the The Big Lebowski, still the traditional size more or less, and still feels like dots a bit, just higher resolution. Full Throttle didnt really need to have the display mirrored on the middle of the table, and I felt like i was playing a Redemption machine when i played The Hobbit or Wizard of Oz, not to say they are bad games, I loved them and would love to have them in my collection, but i feel its just not necessary for me to enjoy the actual game. I'm banging a steel ball around on a wooden table. you could replace a lot of these games displays with score reels or alphanumeric scores and i'd be content. Just dont change the light shows or the sounds/music on me.

#171 7 years ago

LCD and other video displays have killed pinball for me.

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

TWD has some of the best custom dots in terms of creativity that I've ever seen. But I repeat myself.

Yep and ST is right up there as well. I think LCD has its place but like everything else in pinball certain themes really lend themselves to this upgrade, I love the dots on many B/W games and wouldn't want movie clips, just like the system 11's and that display which works perfectly for those pins, I wouldn't want DMD's, Aliens is the first theme for me that I'm excited to see an LCD in use, TH LCD and clips are quite amazing and it will be interesting to see how JJP uses it with an original theme.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

TH LCD and clips are quite amazing and it will be interesting to see how JJP uses it with an original theme.

Yeah and that's a big deal...does it sort of lock you in to only making liceisened themes? Well Stern is going to do that no matter what, but then the themes actually matter more it seems; although some people would already say that.

My fear from the very beginning was to me a bad LCD is worse than a bad DMD. I owned Met pro, HATE Metallica, love the game. It didn't matter my dislike as they animated them which made it more acceptable to me. Now if that was an LCD, would they have done the same thing? Or is it clips from Metallcia concerts and videos that would really horrify me.
EDIT: I always think of the little vids running on the WWE LE...if that was a full screen it would be very very bad.

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

This is totally unprofessional of the only industry person left posting on Pinside.

Quick, let's drive him away!

#175 7 years ago

They are all just tools and its all about implementation. Dots can be lazy, mind-blowingly enhancing or somewhere in the spectrum of in-between. I do see alot more potential for bad LCD than dots...in that the worst dots I see are when clips are just digitized en masse and that potential exists in LCD without any hurdles. I think my only beef with Stern is the Red color, which is super easily changed so its a 100% non-issue. The screens are just delivery methods regardless of format - what creators do with them and how they integrate and expand gameplay is what matters.

#176 7 years ago

LCD displays haven't killed DMDs for me when I play. However, having an LCD display certainly enhances the gaming experience. When I play pinball alone it doesn't seem as big a deal as when I play in a group. I enjoy watching the display (DMD or LCD) when someone else is playing as it improves the experience. As much as I like to play pinball - I prefer to play while having a few cold-ones with a group of friends and in those situations the larger screen helps with making the gameplay more interactive. This is an evolutionary step-forward but it comes at an increased cost - software development. If executed poorly can detract from the experience (not really any different then bad sound, poor voice-overs, poor layout, poorly integrated toys, poor rules, etc. - just one more variable).

I like games that are mode/objective based and I could care less about actual scores. For me it is like a quest (to get to the wizard mode) so for me an LCD improves the journey. For folks that care about competing and scoring I can see how an LCD isn't as enhancing.

I'll keep on flippin as long as the balls are made from steel but as soon as they start using carbon-fiber balls well that's just not pinball. {sarcasm}

#177 7 years ago

Not all dots are the same - good dots can make a huge difference. WMS got pretty good at dots near the end compared to the start - compare, say, Party Zone to Medieval Madness. Or, compare Capcom (arguably the best ever) to Sega, or even many Sterns.

I'd say the 3D rendering Stern is doing is actually worse - Ghostbusters has a bunch of it and it looks terrible because it lacks the definition that black lining adds in the hand-drawn stuff.

So, it's not even as simple as the display hardware but how it is used.

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

ignore list...crybaby...whine...fools...Grow up

Um, OK.

Quoted from Aurich:

Damn, did you get yours? That's super hot. I love that size.

No homo.

I'll just wrap up with this:

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/3/19/Tech-Before-Its-Time-30-Years-Ago-Buick-Put-The-First-Touchscreen-In-A-Car-7732598/

#179 7 years ago

Something nobody here has mentioned yet is the volatility of the LCD market.

Stern builds more pins than anyone else, by several orders of magnitude. For their red display, all they need is a PCB, some FETS, shift registers and red modules that are super common.

Now look at LCD. That technology changes in the blink of an eye. You can't rely on anything to stay the same over the course of one title, let alone the 7-8 years your board set may last.

When ColorDMDs aren't on sale, do you think it's because Randy doesn't want money? Look at WOZ even during its life they had to change to a bigger LCD and software scale the image to fit the old bezel.

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Something nobody here has mentioned yet is the volatility of the LCD market.

Hey, I alluded to it!

You're really dead on with it though of course. A hot selling pinball these days is what? 3000 units maybe? We don't really know, but that's probably close. You can connect the dots to see that ACDC was under 8000, and that's the best selling DMD Stern of all time. With game prices going up and multiple manufacturers in the market we may never see that many sold ever again.

Those numbers don't really mean shit to someone selling LCD screens. So you're caught between ordering thousands and thousands up front, or hoping your supplier is still around with the same spec screens next year as you order them by the hundreds instead.

Quoted from jwilson:

I'd say the 3D rendering Stern is doing is actually worse - Ghostbusters has a bunch of it and it looks terrible because it lacks the definition that black lining adds in the hand-drawn stuff.
So, it's not even as simple as the display hardware but how it is used.

Agreed, nothing wrong with 3D rendering, but save it for the high rez screens. The dots on Metallica and TWD are levels above anything else Stern is doing because they don't have that, and instead have some really finely crafted pixel art. It's not easy to work with 16 shades of red and 128x32 pixels and have it look good. I obviously prefer the ColorDMD version when available, but you need good base dots to have good color dots.

I would even go so far as to say Metallica has my favorite dots of all time, any era, any company.

Quoted from zeddex:

They are all just tools and its all about implementation. Dots can be lazy, mind-blowingly enhancing or somewhere in the spectrum of in-between. I do see alot more potential for bad LCD than dots...

This is a great point too. Bad dots at worst tend to be a little muddy, overly simple, or just uninspired. But bad high rez content can be a real turnoff if it's cheesy and ugly. Our expectations go up with the color and resolution.

#181 7 years ago

The displays are nice in any shape or form. For me it comes down to this: I'm playing pinball not watching tv so could care less.

#182 7 years ago

Killed no, do I think they are nice, damn right.

I think the lcd is nicer of course and adds possibilities like in woz with muti sectional displays showing different mode progressions. However, I like the mechanical aspect of pinball the most and would rather see the extra development costs put into playfield components (or left in my pocket) rather that something I glance at infrequently.

Future developments may make me think differently, Im excited to see what you guys have in store for aliens. Actually I was wondering, on FT the screen on the pf and the backglass are basically the same, is this going to be the case on alien?

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

The displays are nice in any shape or form. For me it comes down to this: I'm playing pinball not watching tv so could care less.

I see this sentiment a lot. Maybe I just pay attention to the DMD more that you do, but I feel like I see all the animations in the games I play, and enjoy seeing them too.

Could be this is why I'm not a great player.

But it's funny, every time I install a ColorDMD in a game for the first time, you'd think I'd really suck as I keep trying to watch it, but instead I have great games.

#184 7 years ago

Sure it does look nice in color but when im spending big $$$$ in the land of OZ, its all about the playfield for me

#185 7 years ago

Call me crazy, but I think I prefer the dots to a full-blown color lcd. The LCDs just seem out of place, not just from a retro/nostalgia perspective. It seems like it defeats the purpose of pinball as a physical game experience, well for me at least.

I like the look/idea of limited coloration, but it is a little too much otherwise with full blown video. I think the LCD makes TBL look cheap. You have this beautiful game with this cheap ass LCD display above it, trying to steal its thunder. I know I said I prefer the smaller screen, but the more I think about it, the more JJP seems like the right idea if ur gonna do it.

#186 7 years ago

What's missing here

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#187 7 years ago

The GI is out on AFM.

#188 7 years ago

white LED's in the backboxes, would be my guess. If you ran out and had to use color in a pinch, while your LED order arrives in the mail, that's one thing. But both games? I would have just waited for my order to show up.

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

What's missing here

Some cool 70s/80s games?

rd

#190 7 years ago

For me, ColorDMD makes any monochrome display look really old these days. LCD even more so.
Hard to believe we're celebrating the regular DMD's 25th "birthday" in pinball history.
Time to step up. Good to know Stern is on it and the new display is hopefully to be revealed soon.

#191 7 years ago

I have so far not put color DMD in my games as I really never look at the DMD. It does not seem to add a lot of value to your game and so I think it is really for those watching you play. I am really fine with the dots; but with that now said, I will probably go with color DMD when ALL of my games have that option available to them... (it would drive me nuts to have all of the games in color except for 2)

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

What's missing here

A Pinbot

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

LCD and other video displays have killed pinball for me.

Okay, but why? That doesn't do a lot to contribute to the discussion. As someone who tends to learn by playing with another person and watching each other to see what's best, I like having info clear and easily available on the screen. If, as a spectator, I can't easily tell what's going on or how many points it's worth, than either you're not using your display well, or you've got enough going on that you need an upgraded display.

The more information a machine is trying to convey, the more tech you should have on your display. A scrolling reel only needs to display the score because there's nothing you need to know...the value of every shot and target is on the playfield. WoZ has so many modes and features, most of which can be stacked, that it NEEDS all of its display. Someone mentioned that it would be better with DMD...seriously? Not a chance. That machine could never get the necessary info across on anything less than it has

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from Tilerh17:

Okay, but why?

O-din is joking. He collects mostly EM's.

Quoted from Tilerh17:

WoZ has so many modes and features, most of which can be stacked, that it NEEDS all of its display.

I don't know if WOZ "needs" all of its display but I think it enhances the game for both the player and anyone watching. The only times I need to look at the display in WOZ is to see how many Winkie guards are left, which Haunted mode I started and the HOADC status. These items could probably be handled by changing insert colors as indicators, if there wasn't the big display. This is good thing to me because it's seldom necessary to lift my eyes from the playfield to play the game.

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

I have so far not put color DMD in my games as I really never look at the DMD. It does not seem to add a lot of value to your game and so I think it is really for those watching you play. I am really fine with the dots; but with that now said, I will probably go with color DMD when ALL of my games have that option available to them... (it would drive me nuts to have all of the games in color except for 2)

Get ready.

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

Good to know Stern is on it and the new display is hopefully to be revealed soon.

We've been hearing this for the past three years.

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well, we were hearing about KISS for four years before it finally happened so I'd say we are on the right track.

#198 7 years ago

Since Randy is dropping hints the collection he was referring to has these games:

Transformers (Premium/LE)
Iron Man
Pirates of the Caribbean
Attack from Mars
Spider-Man
Cactus Canyon
Monster Bash
Medieval Madness
TRON: Legacy (Pro)

#199 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

They did put out PR saying it was coming on the next game, and then Jody walked that back and said this year instead.

Statement from the company seems a lot more solid than unsubstantiated rumors. And there was that leaked photo of an LCD prototype from the Stern factory that Stern asked Robin to take down.

People will bitch if they don't do it, but let's be honest, as much as there is finally legit competition for Stern no one else is supplying the volume they are. People will keep buying. Heighway, JJP, Spooky, DP, are any of them equipped to suddenly absorb Stern's customer base? No way. Maybe eventually, but not right now for sure.

At a certain point though Stern have to think they run the risk of actually getting passed if they don't upgrade like everyone else making games, so I'd believe they're doing it.

I'm a customer again if they do. I personally, as a buyer and player, hope they do it.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

At a certain point though Stern have to think they run the risk of actually getting passed if they don't upgrade like everyone else making games, so I'd believe they're doing it.

Stern probably thinks "hey, we are selling more Ghostbusters than anything we've ever sold before, so why change anything?"

rd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 49.95
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-lcd-displays-killed-red-dmds-for-you/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.