Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by futurepinhead
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wally.jpg
Postal Inspection Service.png
popcorn-startrek.gif
37012709.jpg
redneck_mentor.jpg
Pac_Man_Ass_Tattoo.jpg

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 6 years ago

So about 2 months ago, I sent a money order to someone who had a Big Game pf listed on Mr. Pinball. He confirmed within days of me sending it that he received the payment and promised that it would be sent out the next Monday. That Monday came and went. We have been in semi regular email contact, but I have yet to receive the pf, and usually get a barrage of horrible news from the guy's personal life that he uses as excuses for why he hasn't shipped my pf along with a reassurance that he'll try to get it shipped out the next week.

This has put a really bad taste in my mouth about sending a money order for anything in the future. Why wouldn't a seller accept PayPal, especially if I agree to pay a premium to cover fees, unless they don't want the buyer to have any recourse? Had he accepted the payment through PayPal, I could have lodged a complaint and probably reversed the charges through my CC company. But what can I do since I've sent a money order?

The cost was low, so I took the risk. I understand that people can have bad things happen in their life, but is that a reason to screw someone over?

So I feel like I've either been scammed, or the guy just can't prioritize fulfilling his end of the deal.

Any advice on how to handle this? Short of sharing the seller's info (as he seems to have numerous things listed for sale) so others can avoid him, I don't know what I can do. What's a reasonable amount of time to wait before doing that?

Thanks,
Jim

Edit: Since we're now at 3 months since the seller confirmed receipt of my payment with no action on his part, I'm trying to get him blacklisted anywhere I can. Here's his info as it is displayed on Mr. Pinball. I'm not posting this information so that Pinsiders can harass him (please don't since nothing good will come of it), but merely so they can avoid purchasing anything from him.

Vince Dooley
vdooley2@yahoo.com
2160 Athens Hwy.
Jefferson, GA. 30549

Post edited by winteriscoming : Updated with Seller Info

#2 6 years ago

road trip....

#3 6 years ago

Call him if you have his number. The seller is wrong...he knows this, so don't point it out. Ask if he can take the playfield to a UPS Store. The UPS store will pack and ship the playfield. Offer to pay the packing. I am assuming the guy is too lazy to pack the playfield, as it is a pain in the neck. Nice thing is the UPS store can call you for your CC number and you can reasonably suspect that the thing will actually be shipped.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Tom

#4 6 years ago

I think two months is more than enough time to ship something out that the seller claims to have in hand. To me this is unreasonable and may warrant posting a warning to fellow pinheads.

#5 6 years ago

It always sucks to have to deal with this sort of thing. I would confront him in an e-mail, saying that you see he's listing other items for sale, and he needs to come through on your deal now. Give him a two-day window to ship it and provide you with a tracking number. If he doesn't get it shipped out, post in one of his sale threads.

#6 6 years ago

If he has a lot of things for sale let him know you will spill the beans if he does not get your playfield out. If he cant do that than it is your responsibility to alert others of his doings. Internet fraud is a felony. That mite get him moving.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

What's a reasonable amount of time to wait

IMO you've already waited at least 6 weeks too long.

#8 6 years ago

Yeah, just tell him to drop it at any UPS Store and let them pack/ship for you.

Once the PF is in your hands, make sure you post full details here and on RGP so no one else has to deal with mr flaky.

#9 6 years ago

2 months is way more than enough time for someone to ship something out. I don't know how I would handle this.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I would confront him in an e-mail, saying that you see he's listing other items for sale, and he needs to come through on your deal now.

In the seller's defense, he just has a large listing on Mr. Pinball, that included the Big Game PF, that was submitted in April. It's not like I've seen him actively posting other items.

#11 6 years ago

Where is he. Perhaps you could get a fellow pinsider to go over and pick it up for you?

#12 6 years ago

In the seller's defense

I'll stop you right there...

Once I receive a buyers money for ANYTHING, it then becomes my chief concern and top priority to deliver on my end of the deal. Period.

Anything beyond that is an unsuccessful transaction in my books.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

Call him if you have his number. The seller is wrong...he knows this, so don't point it out. Ask if he can take the playfield to a UPS Store. The UPS store will pack and ship the playfield. Offer to pay the packing. I am assuming the guy is too lazy to pack the playfield, as it is a pain in the neck. Nice thing is the UPS store can call you for your CC number and you can reasonably suspect that the thing will actually be shipped.
Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Tom

I do want the PF, but the original cost was supposed to include shipping. I'd be letting the guy off the hook if I'm willing to pay additional for shipping.

#14 6 years ago

I do want the PF, but the original cost was supposed to include shipping. I'd be letting the guy off the hook if I'm willing to pay additional for shipping.

I agree with you 100 percent. Keep in mind that the original price was supposed to include a playfield being packed and shipped by the following Monday. That never happened. In my opinion, it is never going to happen unless you take either the high road and offer to pay the packing, or you take the low road and try to publicly humiliate him into shipping it to you.

I'd try the high road first, only because I think you would have a better chance of success. But you can go in whatever direction you feel right with.

To answer your posted question: Yes, to date you have been scammed

Best regards,

Tom

#15 6 years ago

I like the idea of a fellow pinsider getting it for you. When I bought my MM sight unseen out of N.Y., I had a couple of other pinsiders check it out for me. That was very helpful.

If I saw a post for help in the Knoxville area I would do it in a heartbeat.

#16 6 years ago

Wow, 2 month is too long!! If you pay for packing again, he may still not send it, since he hasn't been a man of his word yet.

#17 6 years ago

As long as he is not in Uganda, proba my one of us can pick it up for you. Let us know where it is located.

#19 6 years ago

With sending anything remotely like this.... sometimes you win... sometimes you lose. Sure, paypal is a safe bet; but, sometimes you just really need "the part" and you have to roll the dice. If you're not prepared to lose the money... you should never have sent the money order.

I've "won" more times than I've lost... but I've been screwed by some pretty public people here and on RGP who just got "too busy" to send something out. And most of it has been on the small stuff, too. It's actually kinda funny. Regardless though, it's evened out. Most people are honest... but you do find some in the hobby that are just idiots. The best you can do is warn other people away from them on the forums so they don't get screwed too. And the whole personal problems stuff is all crap. If you sell something... you need to make time to ship it... the dog dies... the wife dies... you can find 15 minutes to get out to the Post Office or drop their check back in the mail and return their money.

In any case, sometimes if you send a money order over 60 miles away.... you just might get screwed. There is nothing to do. Get over it and move on....

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from kismetnumber1:

In any case, sometimes if you send a money order over 60 miles away.... you just might get screwed. There is nothing to do. Get over it and move on....

no... op let us know where he lives. someone might be able to get it for you. don't "get over it"

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

I'll stop you right there...
Once I receive a buyers money for ANYTHING, it then becomes my chief concern and top priority to deliver on my end of the deal. Period.
Anything beyond that is an unsuccessful transaction in my books.

This is pretty much DEAD ON. You HAVE to do business this way....cash in hand for this guy should be PF out the door the next day straight to you. Barring any medical emergencies this guy may have had...this is 100% ridiculous. 2 months??? You are patient sir!! And you shouldn't have to deal out one more cent in this sale....he owes you more than just that PF now.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from vex:

no... op let us know where he lives. someone might be able to get it for you. don't "get over it"

I've sent kind of a last ditch effort email to the seller indicating that we've passed the 2 month mark from when he confirmed that the payment was received. We'll see what excuse he has next.

He's located in Jefferson, Ga. 30549.

But honestly, getting a third party involved would really make me feel like I'm putting someone out. We're not talking about a high dollar value here. The agreed price including shipping was $100 for an unpopulated PF that's maybe rated a 6 to replace my unusable PF that deserves a 0 rating. I don't really want to have to put more money into getting it, but on the other hand I'd have to start all over trying to find another PF and would have to pay more than it might cost to have someone else pick this one up and ship it to me. I'm definitely not going to offer to give the seller additional money.

If anyone local to the seller is willing, I would definitely appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
Jim

#23 6 years ago

Maybe just the ask the guy for your money back if he can't get the thing done in two months.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from nasco62:

Maybe just the ask the guy for your money back if he can't get the thing done in two months.

I've suggested to him that if he can't get this shipped out, I'd like a refund, but haven't gotten a response back...

#25 6 years ago

He took your money and nothing to show for 2 months no ripped off. I sell mini models I will collect money up fort but I can assure you you'll get your item if you paid it takes me awhile to build them sometimes I have issues, but seriously this guys had 2 months to ship it takes 1 day to do it he's not building the damn thing I think your being taken.

#26 6 years ago

This guy is a major pos.

#27 6 years ago

You have been scammed. Money order is usually a sure sign followed by abnormal delays. If he does sell other items, I'd post his info or inform Mr. Pinball so that others don't get scammed either.

#28 6 years ago

Never do money order or transfer work through PayPal if he can't set up s paypal then he doesn't want the money that bad your better covered through that. To late now hope it works out and you didnt pay alot

#29 6 years ago

You remind me of my self when I sent money to a guy in china for some stuff, and paid extra to ship by DHL , never heard from him again.

I only send money order to dealers or reputable members here, others must be paypal or no deal.

I hope you get your pf, I know how it feels

#30 6 years ago

Send Daina an email and have him blacklisted so others don't get ripped off.

Call or write the postmaster general or go down to the P.O with your receipt by using a money order he has committed mail fraud.
Sometimes making the other party aware that you're intent on pursuing a mail fraud claim perks them up and motivates them. Email the seller suggesting that they have their documentation well-prepared and their ducks in a row--just as you do. Offer the opportunity to make things right. If they don't take it, follow up.

#31 6 years ago

Yes.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Send Daina an email and have him blacklisted so others don't get ripped off.
Call or write the postmaster general or go down to the P.O with your receipt by using a money order he has committed mail fraud.
Sometimes making the other party aware that you're intent on pursuing a mail fraud claim perks them up and motivates them. Email the seller suggesting that they have their documentation well-prepared and their ducks in a row--just as you do. Offer the opportunity to make things right. If they don't take it, follow up.

^^ This. ^^

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

mail fraud claim perks them up and motivates them.

Getting the law involved motivates degenerates that you are dealing with.

#34 6 years ago

US Postal money orders are a very safe method of payment. The Postal Inspector will investigate any fraud committed. They take it very seriously. Whenever I buy or sell stuff over the phone I always call for USPS money order because it is safest for both parties. Paypal favors the buyer unless you "gift" the money.

#35 6 years ago

You could call the local police in his area. That'll light a fire under his a**

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

US Postal money orders are a very safe method of payment. The Postal Inspector will investigate any fraud committed. They take it very seriously. Whenever I buy or sell stuff over the phone I always call for USPS money order because it is safest for both parties. Paypal favors the buyer unless you "gift" the money.

^^^^ yes they do! That would be a very good thing for you to do.

#37 6 years ago

You've been scammed IMHO. Maybe the seller didn't intend it that way starting out, but he's gotten your money and spent it already.... it doesn't matter that you bought a non-minty PF.
Have one of the local pinsiders pick it up. It doesn't have to come off as a mob hit. Just a 'Hey, I'm here to pick up my pals playfield'.
Heck, if you know people in your area, I'll bet that somebody will be willing to pass it along at Expo.. or whatever. At this point, you have ZERO to loose.

#38 6 years ago

Maybe a Pinsider here could meet the guy @ a bank or etc to pick up the PF?

Edit: dude above me was on the same track, great minds think alike

#39 6 years ago

He's located in Jefferson, Ga. 30549.

Looks like Jefferson, GA is just outside of Atlanta on I-85 North. There are a bunch of Atlanta pinball people on here, most of whom would be closer than me, so maybe you can get a volunteer?

#40 6 years ago

Pinballwiz is correct.....

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

Looks like Jefferson, GA is just outside of Atlanta on I-85 North. There are a bunch of Atlanta pinball people on here, most of whom would be closer than me, so maybe you can get a volunteer?

I just looked it up to... I thought I would be driving right by it tomorrow but that's Jeffersonville and not Jefferson. Doh!

#42 6 years ago

PM sent. I'll see if me or one of my buddies can help.

#43 6 years ago

I see some very good advice here. Thanks to all who have contributed so far. We'll see how this plays out.

I'm going to give the guy a couple of days to respond to my latest email before threatening a mail fraud claim and blacklisting him wherever I can.

Thanks,
Jim

#44 6 years ago

I had this happen once on a Mr Pinball listing... I sent payment immediately and for the next two months received promises, excuses, health issues, friend troubles, etc. I did a little due diligence before sending off my $100, but after a couple months there are no excuses left, and I as hard as I tried to be nice, I had to resort to strong words, for it was either laziness or a scam and I had to know. I did eventually get it, so perhaps some of the excuses were legit.

This is exactly what makes me wary about buying an entire pinball machine. Sending $5000 to some stranger in hopes that he ships something to you that resembles the description. I've turned down several great games due to this lack of confidence, but in general the community is small and success rate seems high, especially if locals are willing to help out.

#45 6 years ago

I see some very good advice here. Thanks to all who have contributed so far. We'll see how this plays out.
I'm going to give the guy a couple of days to respond to my latest email before threatening a mail fraud claim and blacklisting him wherever I can.
Thanks,
Jim

Your way to nice. You have waited to long already.

#46 6 years ago

Time to Hammer his a** if he doesn't come through!

#47 6 years ago

Do you have a picture or copy of the money order? Or receipt from the USPS that you sent it to the seller? Emails, phone records, etc.?

Send him a certified letter with signature requirement (so you know he received it) in the mail requesting that he either send you the item or fully refund you within 10 business days. Include all your emails and evidence. You can choose to state in this letter or the next one that if you don't receive either you will take him to court. Maybe that will rattle him. If not, take him to court. Depending on the jurisdiction you may have to serve him in his home county but this is over mail so you'd have to look into that. You'd also have to see if its worth taking to court depending on the dollar amount.

Good luck in your efforts. It's a shame when people do this type of stuff.

#48 6 years ago

That's precisely what he's hoping you would say.

#49 6 years ago

I'm in Atlanta. Jefferson is way north but Ga pinsiders will help.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcadegarage:

Do you have a picture or copy of the money order? Or receipt from the USPS that you sent it to the seller? Emails, phone records, etc.?
Send him a certified letter with signature requirement (so you know he received it) in the mail requesting that he either send you the item or fully refund you within 10 business days. Include all your emails and evidence. You can choose to state in this letter or the next one that if you don't receive either you will take him to court. Maybe that will rattle him. If not, take him to court. Depending on the jurisdiction you may have to serve him in his home county but this is over mail so you'd have to look into that. You'd also have to see if its worth taking to court depending on the dollar amount.
Good luck in your efforts. It's a shame when people do this type of stuff.

I definitely still have my half of the money order, and we've only communicated through email, including the agreed-upon price and the various timelines he's given, so I have all of that still.

We're talking about $100 dollars though, so if I have to take this guy to small claims court, even if he had to pay all the court fees, I'd be out more than $100 worth of my time and I'm supposing unless I was able to summon him to IN, then I'd have to travel to GA. But imagine how much of a hassle it would be for the seller... maybe it would be more worth his time if he would just ship it...

Thanks,
Jim

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 7.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wood Dale, IL
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside