(Topic ID: 54966)

Have EM prices gone up with the resurgence?

By practicalsteve

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Hugo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1523.JPG
    DSC04177.JPG
    DSC04174.JPG
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Hope this topic for EM's has not been beaten to death like it has for newer machines, but I was wondering if the prices for EM's has gone up with the resurgence. I just started saving for my third pin and I think I want it to be an EM. Now that I am looking I feel like prices have gone up, I never paid much attention before but now that I am it seems that way. Thoughts?

Also, any advice where I can start doing research and learn more about EM repair, want to have knowledge beforehand. I have Bear Kamaroff's repair book and plan on reading the EM stuff I skipped over long ago.

Titles I am most interested in so far: Night Rider, surf, 4 million BC, Wizard, eight ball.... what are some of your favorites, and what titles should I check out similar to those.

#3 10 years ago

It's the same as solid states, some have went up and some haven't. Just not on such a grand scale as so many of the solid states.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Danzig:

It's the same as solid states, some have went up and some haven't. Just not on such a grand scale as so many of the solid states.

Thanks, you have quite a few. What is your favorite and why?

#5 10 years ago

Can't ever go wrong with a Centigrade 37. Fireball is a good one you didn't mention. Mata Hari in EM form is pretty good too.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from robx46:

Can't ever go wrong with a Centigrade 37. Fireball is a good one you didn't mention. Mata Hari in EM form is pretty good too.

I have always wanted to play Centigrade 37, it has my favorite artwork on any EM but did not list it since I have never tried it.

I also have never tried fireball.

I had the SS version of Mata Hari for about a year. It was on loan so had to give it back. I have missed it so much that I think it in large part is prompting me to want an EM.

#7 10 years ago

I really enjoy the Gottlieb "300" which is same as Top Score. I like the theme, artwork, animated backbox, and you don't have to be a good player to keep the ball in play for a while. And of course the audio, simple chimes beats out digital audio clips for me on any pin, which is why I'm converting my Genie to mechanical chimes.

#8 10 years ago

Every market is different, but in our area, I would say the overall trend is up. 'A' titles have doubled in the last couple years. Blame it on the internet, or what ever your favorite scape goat, but un-shopped project games are selling for what I would have sold machines for after a full restoration just a few years ago. The games just discussed above are good examples of the price spike.

#9 10 years ago

I think so, especially the sought after ones like target alpha, c37. Same as the rest, unfortunately there are not as many sought after em's, I know true em buffs are always looking for games, but as far as pin collectors in general there are some titles that are hot

My favs, 4 million BC, Target Alpha

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Hope this topic for EM's has not been beaten to death like it has for newer machines, but I was wondering if the prices for EM's has gone up with the resurgence. I just started saving for my third pin and I think I want it to be an EM. Now that I am looking I feel like prices have gone up, I never paid much attention before but now that I am it seems that way. Thoughts?
    Also, any advice where I can start doing research and learn more about EM repair, want to have knowledge beforehand. I have Bear Kamaroff's repair book and plan on reading the EM stuff I skipped over long ago.
    Titles I am most interested in so far: Night Rider, surf, 4 million BC, Wizard, eight ball.... what are some of your favorites, and what titles should I check out similar to those.

You might find this info useful:
    http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

re: prices, my observation is that some 1970's titles have floated up a bit, while 50's and 60's have actually tapered off some, to coming down. "Asking" prices are certainly up; actual "selling" prices, maybe not so much. There are always exceptions though (in both directions). Top condition has been getting a premium, and certain titles have held their ground over the years. It's easier to trend on specific games though, rather than in general.

Another way to approach it is to decide what budget level to target, and then what games fit in that. EMs are an interesting segment though; if you know how to work on them and properly rebuild them, great bargains can be had. Otherwise, it's easy to get underwater on them in a hurry.

#11 10 years ago

In central PA I have been having a hard time selling EM's over the past year or so. Right now I have a pretty nice 300 fully shopped & 100% working I have not been able to sell for $550 and a Royal Guard with playfield planking but otherwise fully shopped & pretty nice I have been trying to sell for $550 for over 3 months with basically zero interest.

Every time I try to sell an EM or early SS these days they seem like a slow sell yet if I list a System 11 or newer machine they are normally gone in just a few days. So from my experience it seems like most buyers are looking for newer ramp machines in our area.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Danzig:

I really enjoy the Gottlieb "300" which is same as Top Score.

Quoted from Danzig:

simple chimes beats out digital audio clips for me on any pin,

I will check that title out, chimes are my favorite thing about EM's, that and the artwork.

I forgot about that section on clays site, I will make sure to read through it.

Quoted from too-many-pins:

Every time I try to sell an EM or early SS these days they seem like a slow sell yet if I list a System 11 or newer machine they are normally gone in just a few days.

Sorry you are having trouble selling, I see the same thing out here in CA, they sit around for quite a while but thats usually because someone wants a grand for some beat up hunk of junk with terrible planking and no GI working.

Also thank you stashyboy ands ovdfireman for your thoughts. Keep them coming people.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

My favs, 4 million BC, Target Alpha

+1 - love 4MBC and if I could find a nice local Target Alpha I'd be all over it. Another one I really like is Jet Spin / Super Spin. Most 70's era Gottlieb games are my favorites, and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

It's good to see EM's finding their way into more collections. They're completely different than the SS machines, and challenging in their own ways. Good luck in your search - I'm sure you'll find something.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I see the same thing out here in CA, they sit around for quite a while but thats usually because someone wants a grand for some beat up hunk of junk with terrible planking and no GI working.

Yep^
    Some people that sell on e-bay and cl have no clue and no interest in pinball ,but seem to think a 40-50 year old pin is like an endangered species.
    The no pinball repair experience seller thinks they can get a fortune for something that is a basket case ,you either get a person that will sell it at a good price after some negotiating or a hard liner that waits to sell it to some sucker.
    If the right seller is level headed and knows whats involved they will understand selling at a reasonable price.
    I think older Em s will stay low in $$$ because inexperienced people fear repairing them + the labor cost to fix them too,which is fine by me.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

You might find this info useful:
    http://www.pinrepair.com/em/
    re: prices, my observation is that some 1970's titles have floated up a bit, while 50's and 60's have actually tapered off some, to coming down. "Asking" prices are certainly up; actual "selling" prices, maybe not so much. There are always exceptions though (in both directions). Top condition has been getting a premium, and certain titles have held their ground over the years. It's easier to trend on specific games though, rather than in general.
    Another way to approach it is to decide what budget level to target, and then what games fit in that. EMs are an interesting segment though; if you know how to work on them and properly rebuild them, great bargains can be had. Otherwise, it's easy to get underwater on them in a hurry.

Been watching prices a while.

Agree that even the best 60's titles like Buckaroo seem to have peaked and demand has softened.

70's titles similar but there are hot titles that can command a premium and if one sells, then other people think their pin is worth as much!

There was a lovely Volley that the guy couldn't sell here on Pinside for around $500........ so, it is possible to pick up great games for bargain prices.

El Dorado is an obvious 70's pin that always commands a premium.

#16 10 years ago

Thanks Pin-it, shapeshifter, and u2sean. I still have a ways to go savings wise, but I hope to use the time to learn about repairing them.

#17 10 years ago

60's pins have tapered off considerably since like 1998-2002.
    70's single player Gottliebs have spiked with certain titles. Particularly El Dorado and Atlantis and now C37 since everyone and their mother on pinside wants a C37. Most of the other 70's titles can be had for sub grand to 500.
    I am actually enjoying the price bubble pop. Let 'em all buy 5k+ Sterns so I can have my EMs!

#18 10 years ago

Crazy thing with the older SS machines and most EM's is since you can buy most of them for $400 to $700 you can have a very nice collection of 10 to 15 machines for less than one "A" list machine will cost you. And I don't care who you are --- no one that plays pinball can tell me this is logical.

Yes MM, MB, SS, AFM. etc should be worth more money than other machines but I just don't see those titles as being worth 10 to 20 times as much as some of the good earlier machines.

At some point I see things leveling out a little but for now I am enjoying the fact that most System 11 and earlier SS machines and pretty much all EM's are still a great value compared to the "A" list stuff.

Like has been stated above - you guys fighting over those "A" list titles please keep it up so us other guys can keep getting great deals on earlier machines!

#19 10 years ago

I agree with too-many-pins.

I'd much rather have a room of EM's than one AFM. All pins get boring at some point, since I play every day, pretty much. Plus, you can get them for $200-$900, so they are easy to pick up.

Right now, I have Dealer's Choice and Big Hit and I'm looking for more!

#20 10 years ago

i bought my doodle bug for 175 and its already up and running with little effort. I cannot wait to buy another EM.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from dementedwarlok:

i bought my doodle bug for 175 and its already up and running with little effort. I cannot wait to buy another EM.

I like hearing that! Scoring a good deal and getting it up and running, nice!

Quoted from too-many-pins:

At some point I see things leveling out a little but for now I am enjoying the fact that most System 11 and earlier SS machines and pretty much all EM's are still a great value compared to the "A" list stuff.

Thats why I have sys 11 pins myself. Taxi and F-14 both which cost less together than some "B" titles out there.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Danzig:

simple chimes beats out digital audio clips for me on any pin,

I must agree with you on that one. Especially when you hit the spinners on games like Grand Prix. When I played my first solid state game back in the day, I felt gipped.

#23 10 years ago

here is my 175 doodle bug it also came with alot of orginal paperwork!

DSC04174.JPGDSC04174.JPG DSC04177.JPGDSC04177.JPG

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When I played my first solid state game back in the day, I felt gipped.

Especially right when they changed over, I played a black pyramid and was so annoyed by the sound I did not finish my game. Could not help but think that if it had chimes I would have liked it a whole lot more.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from dementedwarlok:

here is my 175 doodle bug it also came with alot of orginal paperwork!

Nice! Wish I could find an EM that cheap.

#26 10 years ago

you can there is a guy that has a spanish eyes and space mission for 200 each.both turn on but dont start he is here on pinside but located in northern chicago. translites are shot but easily found. if I can get rid of the 2 SS 70's pins I have I am thinking of the space mission.

#27 10 years ago

I just wish that Space Mission was within a 2 hour radius of Dallas. Well if it was the CL vultures would of picked it up already. I swear I just need to get 4-5k, get a one way ticket too the midwest, rent a Uhaul and bring everything back with me.

#28 10 years ago

Quoted from Rat_Tomago:I swear I just need to get 4-5k, get a one way ticket too the midwest, rent a Uhaul and bring everything back with me.

No don't do that, I'm sure something will turn up.
    Alex

#29 10 years ago

Pinballs are very slim pickings here in DFW area. CL is vulture city when it comes too Pinballs. Something is a good deal or sub 500 dollars and the machine is gone within minutes. I don't have the patience to deal with the CL craziness. I have been tempted to have relatives in Ohio and California check on some EMs listed on CL before.

#30 10 years ago

Dan,
    look at Austin and Waco CL. Theres at least 3 EM under 500.
    austin.craigslist.org link
    austin.craigslist.org link
    killeen.craigslist.org link

Also i have 2 for Sale at the special Pinside price
    CCM High Flyer Shopped cleaned having issues resetting currently 225.00
    Williams Jubilee Shopped playfield touched and cleared fun player 300.00

--Jeff

#31 10 years ago

Prices tend to bounce around almost at will with prices for 'player' type games being a bit more then a few years ago, however what I see (or don't see) is the amount of games that are on the market. Wasn't too long ago when you would find 2-3 EMs listed a week Perhaps folks are holding onto Games with a let's wait and see attitude ?

#32 10 years ago

Well, I bought a Spanish Eyes a couple of years ago in good condition..backglass 9.5, cabinet 8.5, playfield 9 for $600.00. It came with one bell and one chime bar. I replaced the chime bar with another bell and replaced the knocker with a 6" gong bell. Then I totally rebuilt the pops switches and all and replaced all of the lamp sockets and totally rebuilt the flippers. Total in the pin is about $800.00 and priceless fun in rebuilding the machine. Its every bit as much fun to play as any other pin I've owned(one reason being the pop bumper located by the flippers)especially compared to the ramp/dmd pins. EMs can provide lots of fun with little outlay compared to most of the newer games.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from PapaJohn:

Well, I bought a Spanish Eyes a couple of years ago in good condition..backglass 9.5, cabinet 8.5, playfield 9 for $600.00. It came with one bell and one chime bar. I replaced the chime bar with another bell and replaced the knocker with a 6" gong bell. Then I totally rebuilt the pops switches and all and replaced all of the lamp sockets and totally rebuilt the flippers. Total in the pin is about $800.00 and priceless fun in rebuilding the machine. Its every bit as much fun to play as any other pin I've owned(one reason being the pop bumper located by the flippers)especially compared to the ramp/dmd pins. EMs can provide lots of fun with little outlay compared to most of the newer games.

I love Spanish Eyes, my cousins had that in their game room so it holds a special place in my heart.

There is a garage sale about an hour from me with a Night Rider they are asking 300$ for, no pics sounds like it does not work. I am still saving but if I had the cash would go check it out.

Been reading the EM pin repair guide in chunks, too much to try and go through all in one shot. Very informative.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from PapaJohn:

I agree. this doodle bug ha no lanes to drain the ball to the flippers. behind the flipper is empty space. put it on 3 ball play and challenge myself. someone did put posts behind the flippers but I was quick to remove them.

#35 10 years ago

I think the woodrails and classic 60's wedgeheads are still down at least 33% from 15 years ago when they peaked. Premium titles that used to go for $1400 you'd be lucky to get $1000 for now. I have a Subway I've been try to sell for $750 but not much luck. This title used to regularly go for almost $1K. But then some 70's titles have skyrocketed like Centigrade 37. I could probably triple my money if I wanted to sell it. So I guess it boils down to what is hot, who is collecting and has the money, and what they used to play as a kid. Just ask a jukebox collector what is hot and you'll find out what I mean. Not much market for 78's anymore or even 45's.

#36 10 years ago

So you paid 100 dollars for that C37? I will take it off your hands for 300 dollars.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from PapaJohn:

gong bell thats awsome!

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from thumperbumper:

I think the woodrails and classic 60's wedgeheads are still down at least 33% from 15 years ago when they peaked. Premium titles that used to go for $1400 you'd be lucky to get $1000 for now. I have a Subway I've been try to sell for $750 but not much luck. This title used to regularly go for almost $1K. But then some 70's titles have skyrocketed like Centigrade 37. I could probably triple my money if I wanted to sell it. So I guess it boils down to what is hot, who is collecting and has the money, and what they used to play as a kid. Just ask a jukebox collector what is hot and you'll find out what I mean. Not much market for 78's anymore or even 45's.

Hey Tim is that you?

I agree on the 60s stuff. I still like 'em. For 70s stuff it's funny over the years to see some titles get really hot in a short period of time. A good game can get glorified to great status.
    Alex

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

A good game can get glorified to great status.

Alex, I agree. And some games become legendary. A long time ago. DSCN1523.JPGDSCN1523.JPG

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Pinballs are very slim pickings here in DFW area. CL is vulture city when it comes too Pinballs. Something is a good deal or sub 500 dollars and the machine is gone within minutes. I don't have the patience to deal with the CL craziness. I have been tempted to have relatives in Ohio and California check on some EMs listed on CL before.

Frax just listed a Card Trix project for $500 in Dallas. Neat AAB Wedge Head. I believe Tom Taylor said it was his favorite in the Pinball Compendium. Tastes are subjective but it must be pretty good as he has every wedge head and a ton of others.

Just trying to keep you out of my area with cash and a truck.
    Alex

#41 10 years ago

I know Frax personally and I have played the machine. It is a good machine but not something I am looking for in my collection. The pins I want are currently listed in my want list. Also saying something and doing something are two different things. I don't have the money to buy pinballs right now so you wouldn't see me in your back yard any time soon.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

you wouldn't see me in your back yard any time soon.

I know. I often say the same thing. Man, if I had a cube van and a bunch of money. It's just fun to think about.
    Alex

#43 10 years ago

Prices on some of the mentioned "high demand" EM's have gone up a bit, it seems.

Sadly, most EM's will always be $500 or less, that will never change. Quite honestly, most EM's are VERY similar and collectors tend to hold back the big $ for those EM's that scream out "I'm unique and different and fun and worth more." With SS pins, that is true but to a much lesser extent. Let me elaborate...

This is just my opinion but it seems to me, there are about 20-40 great, unique EM machines that command a higher than average price (let's say average=$500). There are around ~3000 different EM titles ever made.

With SS pins, there seem to be about 100-200 good/great playing SS machines that command a higher price than the average (let's say average=$1000)... compared to ~1200 different SS titles ever made.

So the real question is;

If a collector has $2000 to spend on pinball and they have these choices, will they buy:
    -two average SS machines?
    -one nice SS machine?
    -4 average EMs?
    -2 nice EMs?

This tends to be answered differently in every circumstance but, if there is a new collector that is in his 30's and wants to play games from his youth, obviously he is more often going to go with the SS machines. In turn, there will be less demand for the EM machines and less supply for the SS machines, making the OVERALL price for an average SS increase over time and for an EM to stay the same or go down over time.

#44 10 years ago

Lets face it the people that were buying 1950's and 1960's Gottliebs are 55 and over with most of them being past 65. Those people played them in their youth and seeked out these machines out and had $$$$$. Those people have since retired, died or they just bought up all the titles that they needed to complete their collection.

People that collect 70's pins are mostly in their 40's and 50's. Most of these people have either owned or played every EM imaginable and only want a handful of machines or they paid 1500-2500 to own those elusive machines. Also these same collectors moved on to different tastes like DMDs because they can now afford the big toys at 5-10k each and don't have the room for the cheaper EMs that they feel are antiquated. One of my pinball friends said it best. EMs are like Elvis Presley or Frank Sinatra. DMDs are like that fresh new band that everyone wants to hear.

The demand has gone down for three reasons. People get the machine they want ending the demand. The generation interested in the pin for high amounts of money has sadly died of old age or they already bought up all the EMs they would ever want to own.

#45 10 years ago

Demand is low but so is supply for the popular games in great condition.

Maybe one day in the next 20 years people may start collecting the great EM's again? Or maybe not. Who knows. I do know I can't get the titles I want!!

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Lets face it the people that were buying 1950's and 1960's Gottliebs are 55 and over with most of them being past 65. Those people played them in their youth and seeked out these machines out and had $$$$$. Those people have since retired, died or they just bought up all the titles that they needed to complete their collection.

People that collect 70's pins are mostly in their 40's and 50's. Most of these people have either owned or played every EM imaginable and only want a handful of machines or they paid 1500-2500 to own those elusive machines. Also these same collectors moved on to different tastes like DMDs because they can now afford the big toys at 5-10k each and don't have the room for the cheaper EMs that they feel are antiquated. One of my pinball friends said it best. EMs are like Elvis Presley or Frank Sinatra. DMDs are like that fresh new band that everyone wants to hear.

The demand has gone down for three reasons. People get the machine they want ending the demand. The generation interested in the pin for high amounts of money has sadly died of old age or they already bought up all the EMs they would ever want to own.

I think this is very observant, nicely put.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

or they paid 1500-2500 to own those elusive machines.

If only it was that easy.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Hey Tim is that you?
    I agree on the 60s stuff. I still like 'em. For 70s stuff it's funny over the years to see some titles get really hot in a short period of time. A good game can get glorified to great status.
    Alex

Yes it is. Maybe it's just I'm in the middle of nowhere! I know of only 2 pinball machines on location in all of Vernon County. I have more in my basement than anywhere on this side of Wisconsin. I have three DMD games now to complement my EM's and they seem to get played much more often. But any mention of selling the C37 or Deluxe ShortStop brings howls from the kids (now 17 and 15). So I'll always keep several for old times sake. I picked up a Melody from Al last fall and just love it. It looks real cool next to the Ice Show. I grew up in the 70's but there were always a slew of 60's games to play on location still. To me they are just more challenging and of course the artwork is just better looking. Tim

#49 10 years ago

They haven't spiked with the current/recent resurgence, but they absolutely had a resurgence of their own; it was just about 15-20 years ago. Used to be the EM games went for $100-200 at local auctions. Around the early-mid 90s, though, they started averaging more like $500-600. Prices roughly quadrupled in the course of about a year, at least locally.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If only it was that easy.

1500-2500 was just a round number. I have paid 3000-4200 for EM titles in the past but that was during the late 90's high price times before the bubble popped and these were also Herb Silvers "Fabulous Fantasies" examples.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-em-prices-gone-up-with-the-resurgence and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.