(Topic ID: 314725)

Have any of you bought new windows? This quote seems crazy!

By mcluvin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

window.pdf (PDF preview)
    epanel (resized).PNG
    win4 (resized).PNG
    win3 (resized).PNG
    win2 (resized).PNG
    win1 (resized).PNG
    3EB15E07-4580-483F-A35F-8753F8AB3547 (resized).jpeg
    winquote (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Trying to help my kid with some repairs on her new home. This is Northern Virginia near DC so I know not the cheapest area for anything. The inspector said the windows should be replaced and they got their first quote (attached) for 6 windows and 2 sliding glass doors installed for nearly $15K. I'm kinda out of my element with windows, but based on my research these aren't even considered a nicer brand or type. I'm planning on getting more quotes, but any advice is appreciated...

Thanks for any input!

winquote (resized).PNGwinquote (resized).PNG
    #12 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

You said "6 windows and 2 sliding doors" but the quote only seems to be for 5 hung windows and 1 sliding window. You might want to double check that.

I haven't been in the house yet. I thought that last line item was 2 sliding glass doors but maybe my misinterpretation.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting more quotes. The inspection report looked pretty thorough, but I'm hoping the windows aren't that bad and have possibly just not been maintained. It also mentioned something about having the ductwork cleaned and I've always understood that ductwork cleaning was generally a scam. Maybe some of this stuff is to just fluff up the inspection report?

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

So do you know what's up w/the original windows? How did your kid come to the conclusion (home inspector?) they need replaced vs. repair? How old are they?

Here's what I have from the report. Not much detail other than specific windows losing their seal and some moisture intrusion at the base of the patio doors.

win1 (resized).PNGwin1 (resized).PNGwin3 (resized).PNGwin3 (resized).PNGwin2 (resized).PNGwin2 (resized).PNGwin4 (resized).PNGwin4 (resized).PNG

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I don't see any obvious water stains on the underside of the carpet (not disputing the inspector tho, but maybe an old water stain?).

Yeah, the carpet is new and recently installed by the previous owners. That bothers me because they put carpet over it like that.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Not trying to talk you (or your kid) out of replacing, just that I'd dig into the issues a little more deeply.

I'm heading up there tomorrow with all my tools to see what everything really looks like. They don't actually move in for a couple of months. The townhome is ~25 years old. There's lots of little things that need fixing. I'm hoping the original R22 AC works. They bought knowing it was near EOL though.

Can any of you tell what kind of electric panel this is? I can't make it out. I don't think it is a Square D??

epanel (resized).PNGepanel (resized).PNG

#46 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone for their input. I know it's a pinball forum, but it's also a very active and very knowledgeable community. This is all great input, well except for Levi I do appreciate it!

2 weeks later
    #54 1 year ago

The windows and SGDs are awful. They don’t leak, but that’s the only good thing I can say. Getting Provia Aspect everything for ~$15K. The same quote will be $17K starting 6/1.

On a positive note the AC and furnace still work great. Just don’t ask what the ducts look like…

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-any-of-you-bought-new-windows-this-quote-seems-crazy?tu=mcluvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.