(Topic ID: 314725)

Have any of you bought new windows? This quote seems crazy!

By mcluvin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

window.pdf (PDF preview)
    epanel (resized).PNG
    win4 (resized).PNG
    win3 (resized).PNG
    win2 (resized).PNG
    win1 (resized).PNG
    3EB15E07-4580-483F-A35F-8753F8AB3547 (resized).jpeg
    winquote (resized).PNG
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Trying to help my kid with some repairs on her new home. This is Northern Virginia near DC so I know not the cheapest area for anything. The inspector said the windows should be replaced and they got their first quote (attached) for 6 windows and 2 sliding glass doors installed for nearly $15K. I'm kinda out of my element with windows, but based on my research these aren't even considered a nicer brand or type. I'm planning on getting more quotes, but any advice is appreciated...

Thanks for any input!

winquote (resized).PNGwinquote (resized).PNG
    #2 1 year ago

Yeah, get more quotes.

#3 1 year ago

In my experience that seems a little high. From what I've seen labor and materials in my area is about 1K per unit. The one difference that may be driving the cost is the size of the windows, it looks like several of them are very large windows that also increases the cost dramatically. I would suggest another bid to ensure that it's in the ball park.

#4 1 year ago

Just hold off a little I'm told the window bubble will burst any day now!

That's the prevailing logic over at Winside anyway.

#5 1 year ago

ALWAYS get 3-5 bids on every project you do. ALWAYS
    And if they ask, be honest and tell them you are getting 3-5 bids, they’ll give you a more competitive bid.

#6 1 year ago

You said "6 windows and 2 sliding doors" but the quote only seems to be for 5 hung windows and 1 sliding window. You might want to double check that.

#7 1 year ago

I had 10 pella windows installed last summer. 2 were odd shaped and all were Lifestyle series. It was about $23k and took 3 days to install everything. Very happy with everything.

$15 for vinyl seems a bit high. Would try and get some additional quotes for sure.

#8 1 year ago

So this might help. Cost of this window my son just put in my house was 1700. 300 for trim and caulk. This was cost from him no mark up. He installed for free. The case of caulk went up $50 a few days later. Inflation is on everything

3EB15E07-4580-483F-A35F-8753F8AB3547 (resized).jpeg3EB15E07-4580-483F-A35F-8753F8AB3547 (resized).jpeg
    #9 1 year ago

A touch high, but not dramatically skewed given today's market. You're in the busy season, and labor is more constrained. As others suggest, get a few more quotes. But not Pella. That will be twice this.

#10 1 year ago

Pinside might not be the best barometer for whats considered crazy.

#11 1 year ago

Are they documented HOU? Perhaps "restored" or LE windows?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

You said "6 windows and 2 sliding doors" but the quote only seems to be for 5 hung windows and 1 sliding window. You might want to double check that.

I haven't been in the house yet. I thought that last line item was 2 sliding glass doors but maybe my misinterpretation.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting more quotes. The inspection report looked pretty thorough, but I'm hoping the windows aren't that bad and have possibly just not been maintained. It also mentioned something about having the ductwork cleaned and I've always understood that ductwork cleaning was generally a scam. Maybe some of this stuff is to just fluff up the inspection report?

#13 1 year ago

Damn, glad I don't need any new windows, knock on wood. I would say those prices are crazy, but everything is crazy.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I haven't been in the house yet. I thought that last line item was 2 sliding glass doors but maybe my misinterpretation.
    Yeah, I'm definitely getting more quotes. The inspection report looked pretty thorough, but I'm hoping the windows aren't that bad and have possibly just not been maintained. It also mentioned something about having the ductwork cleaned and I've always understood that ductwork cleaning was generally a scam. Maybe some of this stuff is to just fluff up the inspection report?

Clean the ducts!
    And get another window quote

#15 1 year ago

From what I've heard windows are dealing with the same supply chain nonsense as everything else. I've heard of brand new homes sitting there unable to be finished because the windows are so back ordered.

Quoted from hlpatterson:

From what I've seen labor and materials in my area is about 1K per unit.

That's my experience too, but this was at least 6 years ago. I feel like our sense for what this stuff costs right now is about as relevant as quoting 6 year old pin prices ...

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

So do you know what's up w/the original windows? How did your kid come to the conclusion (home inspector?) they need replaced vs. repair? How old are they?

#17 1 year ago

Construction is plagued with the same supply chain and labor bullshit as everything else.

I wouldn't do anything re-mod wise that isn't emergency for now (and probably a few years)

#18 1 year ago

Window and door prices can be crazy. Does the city or neighborhood have codes are specific regulations on which windows can be used?

That quote looks average. One of the windows in that quote is 107”. actually 3 windows in one. And another is two windows in one.

“Field labor” is probably only thing that is negotiable in the quote.

You’ll probably get a lot of quotes that are similar price. Cheaper isn’t usually the best choice. Find out who backs their work and is well established in the local area. Will they come back in three years when something is wrong with a window?

And you probably will be waiting 6-12 months to get them installed.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

So do you know what's up w/the original windows? How did your kid come to the conclusion (home inspector?) they need replaced vs. repair? How old are they?

Here's what I have from the report. Not much detail other than specific windows losing their seal and some moisture intrusion at the base of the patio doors.

win1 (resized).PNGwin1 (resized).PNGwin3 (resized).PNGwin3 (resized).PNGwin2 (resized).PNGwin2 (resized).PNGwin4 (resized).PNGwin4 (resized).PNG

#20 1 year ago

You can expect 500-1000 per window for replacements… 1200+ for the big name andersen pella etc. 700-800 was the middle a few years sgo before price spikes. Only huge discount places like window nation will be below that. We used ‘windows on Washington’

Your quote has huge multiple windows. That is roughly 10 single windows. So 4xxx is not that expensive.

Doors suck and you automatically talk in multiples of thousands.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

It also mentioned something about having the ductwork cleaned and I've always understood that ductwork cleaning was generally a scam.

Absolutely not a scam. My son moved into a townhome a few years ago and the previous owner had a small dog.

To see what was removed from the ducts was disgusting!

#22 1 year ago

depending on your state and her income, there are weatherizing programs that might help. But that might be just a california thing with PG&E funding it. If the home has aluminum frames, you might want to get vinyl inserts. We had home depot do a duplex we had before we sold it.

The labor seems really high. But if they are busting out the old frames and repairing the damage to the exterior, then it might justify that. For a 2 homes we did, we just bought the inserts from home depot and had them delivered. We have access to friends who do construction so our install costs were far less.

#23 1 year ago

So what is included in the labor?

If it were a simple install for new construction, where all openings are ready for the new windows and there’s no demolition nor rebuilding of facade or interior walls, then your labor quote is insanely high.

If it’s a white glove removal, replacement and wall restoration, inside and out, it may even be cheap, depending on your walls and material.

#24 1 year ago

In 2005 I did 14 vinyl windows and 2 patio slider doors for $9,000 total, materials and installation. Over the years, it seemed like a rough estimate of $400 per window and $1500 for a slider door (installed) was a good guideline. Of course it varies by the sizes and the work that needs to be done. Of course I would expect that things have gone up for this recently, but this seems hugely more expensive, especially the labor. Maybe that's the way things are these days, but I have done a fair amount of reno work since the pandemic and the prices haven't seemed exorbitant. The biggest issue has been availability of materials. The second biggest issue has been availability of the crews since the demand is so high and also it is difficult for them to keep people on board with the way people change jobs these days. But a professional and reputable contractor will work with you and get the job done at a fair price in my experience. It just might take a long time these days.

It was a decent amount of work to replace the original 60s wood double-hungs with the vinyl ones. Also I can say that this turned out to be a good project, obviously a lot of years have gone by and everything is still in excellent condition. I don't think the windows I bought were anything special.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

So what is included in the labor?
    If it were a simple install for new construction, where all openings are ready for the new windows and there’s no demolition nor rebuilding of facade or interior walls, then your labor quote is insanely high.
    If it’s a white glove removal, replacement and wall restoration, inside and out, it may even be cheap, depending on your walls and material.

replacement windows are done inside the existing frame... no touching of the walls, surrounds, etc.

#26 1 year ago

Now you know why everyone slams the door in the face of window salesman; they ain't cheap

#27 1 year ago

It seems average to me.
    We replaced the windows in our building in NJ and went with Marvin. We opted for their sliding door and wanted the window trim to match the door so the choice was simpler.
    The installation price was $1,100 for each Double Hung and around $3,000 for the sliding which utilized an existing rough opening with minimum modifications.

In a world where pinball machines regularly change hands for 10K, these numbers didn’t seem absurd.

#28 1 year ago

What flynnibus said. We are mixing and matching things here. Your quote is for window unit replacement, but the report is talking about replacing panes and seals, which is vastly cheaper. Verify what really needs to be done and go from there. It could be that you can replace panes in some and have to do full replacements on others.

As other said, you can get cheaper window units around here from places like Window World or Thompson Creek. If cost is a concern, you can look at buying them from Home Depot on a credit account. We had roughly 35 K of Anderson Windows that i got 24 months same as cash. Install was a few hundred bucks a window to install and case from I remember.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

What flynnibus said. We are mixing and matching things here. Your quote is for window unit replacement, but the report is talking about replacing panes and seals, which is vastly cheaper. Verify what really needs to be done and go from there. It could be that you can replace panes in some and have to do full replacements on others...

That's sort of why I asked for more info. If it's just the window itself (seals, i.e. not the frame) then that might be cheaper or some of the repairs could be DIY (caulking, weather stripping).

While the patio door might need replaced in the end, The seal on the bottom should be replaceable and/or the sill plate needs some silicon. Looking at the carpet pulled back at the patio door, I don't see any obvious water stains on the underside of the carpet (not disputing the inspector tho, but maybe an old water stain?). Easy test is to take a hose and spray the door and look for water intrusion.

Not trying to talk you (or your kid) out of replacing, just that I'd dig into the issues a little more deeply.

Do the windows/patio door have interior muttons? Patio door looks like they are interior.

#30 1 year ago

Windows have gone up a lot in prices, probably doubled in the last 18 months. We ordered some windows about 4 months ago and are still waiting for them. I do think you should get more bids.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

As other said, you can get cheaper window units around here from places like Window World or Thompson Creek. If cost is a concern, you can look at buying them from Home Depot on a credit account. We had roughly 35 K of Anderson Windows that i got 24 months same as cash. Install was a few hundred bucks a window to install and case from I remember.

Even tho thomson creek is local they aint cheap :/

The big window nation/ window world discount types are the low cost options. TC was up there with Andersen windows when we got quoted!

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Even tho thomson creek is local they aint cheap :/
    The big window nation/ window world discount types are the low cost options. TC was up there with Andersen windows when we got quoted!

Anderson Renewal?

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I don't see any obvious water stains on the underside of the carpet (not disputing the inspector tho, but maybe an old water stain?).

Yeah, the carpet is new and recently installed by the previous owners. That bothers me because they put carpet over it like that.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Not trying to talk you (or your kid) out of replacing, just that I'd dig into the issues a little more deeply.

I'm heading up there tomorrow with all my tools to see what everything really looks like. They don't actually move in for a couple of months. The townhome is ~25 years old. There's lots of little things that need fixing. I'm hoping the original R22 AC works. They bought knowing it was near EOL though.

Can any of you tell what kind of electric panel this is? I can't make it out. I don't think it is a Square D??

epanel (resized).PNGepanel (resized).PNG

#35 1 year ago

tl;dr Skip the windows. Buy a high quality patio door and fix the rot. Window prices are inflated at the moment.

Quoted from mcluvin:

Yeah, the carpet is new and recently installed by the previous owners. That bothers me because they put carpet over it like that.

I'm heading up there tomorrow with all my tools to see what everything really looks like. They don't actually move in for a couple of months. The townhome is ~25 years old. There's lots of little things that need fixing. I'm hoping the original R22 AC works. They bought knowing it was near EOL though.
    Can any of you tell what kind of electric panel this is? I can't make it out. I don't think it is a Square D??
    [quoted image]

R22 is vastly superior to modern refrigerants, in my opinion. Some armchair guys will give you a dumb spiel about efficiency. I keep the old R12 and R22 systems running in my place because to get the same level of cooling with modern units you have to “oversize” them for your house. So stupid!

As for Windows, replacements are the dumbest thing out there. You put a smaller window into the existing frames and it looks atrocious from the outside just to save some time and maybe $50 a window. Replacements are also inferior in regards to moisture barrier and insulation values due to the nature of the block frame install.

New construction/nail fin windows are great. Looks better and have a better seal for moisture and insulation by nature of the install. Don’t go with some bullshit fly-by-night company. I deal with so many customers coming in with 5yr or 10yr old windows that are busted and they need parts that no longer exist and can’t be ordered.

Get a reliable brand name, Pella is the current top of the line according to Consumer Reports and the passed all the tests with superior performance.

United is also a great company out of New Jersey that I’ve had excellent results with.

Anderson is at the top but slightly below Pella.

Current window prices are very high. Patio doors went up about double from January to March. Regularly ordered a particular model that was $1200 for the past 4 years, and last month it now quotes at $2400. Lead times on patio doors are also 100+ days out for most name brands.
    DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON A PATIO DOOR. I have seen cheap garbage rot out with water intrusion destroying the floor, frame and subfloor in whatever room they are in.

You will strongly regret putting in builder grade garbage when you have to partially rebuild the room trying to find where the rot ends.

Lead times are about 4 months out right now, so what companies are doing is charging extremely high prices and offering you quick turn around. In reality you are paying double or triple without even knowing it to get your order in 1/3rd the wait time.

#36 1 year ago

We got three quotes for our windows in 2020 and had them installed in spring of 2021. I got quotes from three vendors (Champion, Window World, and a local construction company). 15 or so windows, all double hung. Grids on the half of them that face the road.. Vinyl wrapped on the inside to match the original/existing stained wood trim, and painted black exterior because that's the aesthetic my wife wanted.

Window World came in very low and also spent the least amount of time actually looking at our existing windows or asking questions. Red flag.

Champion knew coming into this that I was getting quotes from several vendors, but still tried the in-home sales presentation, "commit to buy tonight for the best price" high pressure sales tactic, which really pissed me off. When he found out we weren't going to commit it was like he took off a mask and the friendly salesman shtick went right out the door. Red flag. I'll never even consider Champion again, and I make a point to steer others away from them as well.

The local construction contractor spent the most time looking at the job, measuring windows, asking questions, and talking through options with us. They were honest about our choices and the impact they would have on price, and were up front about them probably not being the lowest bid. That honesty and thoroughness outweighed their price being the highest, and that's who we went with. The crew that did the install was courteous, detailed, and efficient. Ended up costing us $21k for ~15 windows but I don't regret the decision at all. The brand is Provia, for reference. Very happy with them.

I think the moral of my anecdote is choose a contractor who stands behind their work and their crew, not a sales guy who outsources installation to whatever crew happens to be available for the job. Don't fall for the gimmicky sales tactics (them insisting that both you and your spouse should be home so you can't use the "need to discuss with my wife" excuse, them offering you a limited time deal even though they know you're waiting on other quotes, etc).

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

[quoted image]

Hard to tell but looks like Siemens/ITE or GE.

Definitely not Square D.

#38 1 year ago

Not that you need more opinions on this but i'd say it's close. We are doing 7 windows and one of those being an extremely large
    picture/ stairwell window and we were quoted 12k and a 5 month wait time due to supply issues. Also don't forget usually siding has to be replaced around windows and sometimes they can use existing trim and sometimes they can't.

#39 1 year ago

Now for a real answer from me. In my experience home inspectors (my step dad has a home inspection business) other than noting the type of window they'll only flag if the window is cracked or can't be opened. Evidence of moisture will also be called out. Those windows look old, but don't appear to need immediate change. The door is probably the same unless that is recent damage. If she has the money though she won't regret it.

A couple people mentioned Window World. I did my last house with Window World and was very happy with the results. Thier vinyl windows were so much nicer than my old aluminum windows. I did upgrade to energy star because there was a federal tax credit at the time. Even Window World has increased their prices.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

replacement windows are done inside the existing frame... no touching of the walls, surrounds, etc.

My neighbor had their windows replaced as in: out with the 60 year old single pane aluminum windows, replaced with modern insulates glass fiberglass frame windows and that required careful deconstruction of the brick siding around the windows, removal of drywall, removal of all old window components, installation of the new fiberglass frames, waterproofing, rebuilding of the brick siding around the windows and new drywall.

So I don’t think this is necessarily a 5 minute unclip, re-hang job for $5000 like you imply.

#41 1 year ago

Get a pic of the shooter lane!

I have a large multi frame paella window. I’ve relaxed a few and they were quite expensive. So much depends on the size and style.

#42 1 year ago

I did 5 yrs ago with Renewal by Anderson. It wasn’t pretty back then when they put in 10 windows. It included a foyer window and a smaller closet window. Think it ran me $13k at the time.

#43 1 year ago

Seems like the "new normal" price. I was quoted 24,000 for a deck railing...just the railing and it is not the modern wire railing...just wood and it is a small back deck.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:Seems like the "new normal" price. I was quoted 24,000 for a deck railing...just the railing and it is not the modern wire railing...just wood and it is a small back deck.

I take it the wood was plated with gold and encrusted with diamonds???

#45 1 year ago

That's a lot more expensive than a few tubes of caulk.

#46 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone for their input. I know it's a pinball forum, but it's also a very active and very knowledgeable community. This is all great input, well except for Levi I do appreciate it!

#47 1 year ago

Fuuuuck. I am waiting for a quote to come back on 16 windows. It's even being done through family....not even wanting to see what it comes back as.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Seems like the "new normal" price. I was quoted 24,000 for a deck railing...just the railing and it is not the modern wire railing...just wood and it is a small back deck.

First things first,throw out the contractors name who gave you that ridiculous quote !
    Next go to YouTube, and find a how to video on building a deck rail .

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Figure out what materials you need.Take your list to Mill Outlet in Tacoma.Buy a load of Yellow Cedar.I have done a dozen or so decks and Mill Outlet is where the pros go.Same price as the crap at Box stores but 10 times the quality.Save yourself 21K.

#50 1 year ago

I just spent 15k on a sliding door and 10 windows. Two of those are doubles (6' wide), one triple (9' wide) and one quadruple (12' wide). I paid for them in November. On average I spend about 1000 per window for Anderson 400 series.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-any-of-you-bought-new-windows-this-quote-seems-crazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.