(Topic ID: 335817)

Have a question about a Stern Replacement Playfield.

By Trekkie1978

12 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 months ago

I have a machine with a badly warped playfield. I got approved for a new unpopulated playfield from Stern.

When they ship out the replacement, will it already come with Mylar on it?

If not, how do I go about getting the correct Mylar for the machine?

With it being a spike machine, which side should I do first, top or bottom?

#2 12 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I have a machine with a badly warped playfield. I got approved for a new unpopulated playfield from Stern.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stern does not currently put mylar on its machines. The only exceptions to this that I've seen are small Mylar Squares placed at the drops. I have some in an Elvira that came off the line last month like this.

With that said, I personally put mylar down in the shooter lane.

Were I you, if I really wanted to mylar the playfield I... wouldn't. If you have a bare playfield and want to put down a protector look into a PET-G plastic playfield protector like these https://www.playfield-protectors.com/ Should not add any time to your install if you are doing a playfield swap anyways.

Good luck with this (and getting back in your own thread).

#3 12 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stern does not currently put mylar on its machines. The only exceptions to this that I've seen are small Mylar Squares placed at the drops. I have some in an Elvira that came off the line last month like this.
    With that said, I personally put mylar down in the shooter lane.
    Were I you, if I really wanted to mylar the playfield I... wouldn't. If you have a bare playfield and want to put down a protector look into a PET-G plastic playfield protector like these https://www.playfield-protectors.com/ Should not add any time to your install if you are doing a playfield swap anyways.
    Good luck with this (and getting back in your own thread).

Sorry, I meant in the pop bumper area or at the drops.

I always put Mylar in the shooter lane, then the cliffy on top of it.

#4 12 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Sorry, I meant in the pop bumper area or at the drops.

Don't remember seeing it there but will check. Not what you are asking, but the one CPR playfield did not have any mylar around the pops or at the drops.

#5 12 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just ask them.

They already sent you a new playfield, I doubt they'll give you much guff over asking for 75 cents worth of mylar.

#6 12 months ago

My machine is the new Avengers.

#7 12 months ago

When I received a replacement playfield - no mylar was installed in areas normally protected from the factory.

#8 12 months ago

Order what you need , titan has a good selection.

#9 12 months ago

Stern is sending the playfield with Mylar installed on it.

#10 12 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Stern is sending the playfield with Mylar installed on it.

That’s really cool of them. That playfield must have been pretty warped for them to actually approve the replacement!

#11 12 months ago

What game is it for @trekkie1978? Do you have to send the original back?

#12 12 months ago

Hard to believe, but I recently had a ball get stuck in the inlane on a GZ-premium due to the tiny height of the Mylar installed near the drop! The ball was on the playfield going SOOOO slow, and it fell into the inlane and just sat there until I nudged it a hint. Weird. I am not saying to skip mylar, but don't go overboard with it.

#13 12 months ago

Mylar on my Iron Maiden has bubbled in a few places and causes occasional ball hang-ups.

#14 12 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

What game is it for Trekkie1978? Do you have to send the original back?

Avengers infinity quest.

I get to keep it. One of my friends wants to hang the old one up on his wall.

As far as I am concerned, it’s all his.

#15 12 months ago

Used to be a badly warped PF in a new game would get you a fully populated replacement. Why should you do all that work as a result of a defect in their material?

Good luck. And yes, the new PF should already have any necessary mylar applied

#16 12 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

That’s really cool of them. That playfield must have been pretty warped for them to actually approve the replacement!

Um they typically send fully populated playfields in these cases.

I’d be pissed.

#17 12 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’d be pissed.

So they should set up the line and do another AIQ run?
    I doubt they just keep spare populated PFs of games that aren’t in production lying around.

#18 12 months ago
    Quoted from DNO:

So they should set up the line and do another AIQ run?
    I doubt they just keep spare populated PFs of games that aren’t in production lying around.

Yeah. That’s fair. Didn’t consider that part.

Was this something you noticed right after getting the game? If so, then a fully populated playfield should be the expectation.

#19 12 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’d be pissed.

It’s fine. I’m looking forward to doing my first swap.

I had to wait 8 months for a new ramp, game was unplayable. When I put the ramp on, I noticed the balls went straight to the outside. I put the straight edge on it and it was warped.

My GOT LE did the same thing. I knew immediately it was warped once I got to really play it.

#20 12 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Avengers infinity quest.
    I get to keep it. One of my friends wants to hang the old one up on his wall.
    As far as I am concerned, it’s all his.

That will make a pretty sweet wall hanger... I'm on the lookout for used playfields, have another project where I work with a local luthier to turn them into sweet guitars, we haven't made one with a modern playfield before and AIQ would make an awesome one! We don't pay much but if your friend changes his mind and doesn't want it and you want to make a couple of bucks off of it I'd love to get my hands on it!

This EK is the latest one: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoTOQUIjqi8/

#21 12 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

That will make a pretty sweet wall hanger... I'm on the lookout for used playfields, have another project where I work with a local luthier to turn them into sweet guitars, we haven't made one with a modern playfield before and AIQ would make an awesome one! We don't pay much but if your friend changes his mind and doesn't want it and you want to make a couple of bucks off of it I'd love to get my hands on it!

I’ll definitely keep you in mind if he changes his mind.

I can’t charge for something like that. You would just have to pay for shipping.

#22 12 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

That’s awesome! I actually picked up a Munsters pro PF so I could use the center area for the same thing.

#23 12 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’ll definitely keep you in mind if he changes his mind.
    I can’t charge for something like that. You would just have to pay for shipping.

Wow! That would be amazing! Appreciate the consideration.

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

That’s awesome! I actually picked up a Munsters pro PF so I could use the center area for the same thing.

Not to derail this thread, but I'd love to see a picture of it, that's another great pf! Next guitar I make for myself will be from a c37 playfield... finding one of those however has been elusive.

#24 12 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

Not to derail this thread, but I'd love to see a picture of it, that's another great pf! Next guitar I make for myself will be from a c37 playfield... finding one of those however has been elusive.

I have 1 simple rule for any thread I post....there's no such thing as derailment.

#25 12 months ago

What I'm looking forward to doing the swap, is being able to bullet proof the game as I go. For instance, when I first get a game, I add as many washers as I can where it looks like a metal guide could dig into the playfield. With a completely empty playfield....they'll be going everywhere.

#26 12 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What I'm looking forward to doing the swap, is being able to bullet proof the game as I go. For instance, when I first get a game, I add as many washers as I can where it looks like a metal guide could dig into the playfield. With a completely empty playfield....they'll be going everywhere.

I was the third owner of AIQ when I had it and getting plunge to work right and the CM ramp dialled in was still needed. This game plays amazing when everything is setup right... getting to do that all during a swap would be one daunting task. Is it a premium or a pro? I'd have to think the pro would be easier.

#27 12 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

I was the third owner of AIQ when I had it and getting plunge to work right and the CM ramp dialled in was still needed. This game plays amazing when everything is setup right... getting to do that all during a swap would be one daunting task. Is it a premium or a pro? I'd have to think the pro would be easier.

LE.

#28 12 months ago

Well you've got your work cut out for you then My playfield swap experiences are limited to 80's games, I wish you well!

#29 12 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

Well you've got your work cut out for you then My playfield swap experiences are limited to 80's games, I wish you well!

Over the summer, I took apart a Star Trek Next Generation. I did a partial restore on the top of the playfield. And with the game being a Spike game, I'd imagine the underside shouldn't be that hard to pull off.

My plan on the underside, is do one node board at a time. I'll put marked blue tape everywhere, so I know where everything gets plugged in. Then top side of playfield, I'll start in the back and work my way down to the arch.

I'll take as many pics as possible and post them on here.

#30 12 months ago

Take pictures! Every angle, every part. Don't even look at each picture, just take a bunch of them. You will find a part or a screw or a spacer just not making sense and you will treasure having the BEFORE pictures handy. No kidding, I would guess maybe 100 pictures would be needed for the top and bottom of a playfield BEFORE capture. Take Lots!!

#31 12 months ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

... No kidding, I would guess maybe 100 pictures would be needed for the top and bottom....!

Double it!

#32 12 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

And with the game being a Spike game, I'd imagine the underside shouldn't be that hard to pull off.

One part at a time doesn’t really seem to happen, be prepared to have everything off both playfields at the same time. When they are bare is when you can do the wire ball guides that are hammered into the PF, install and remove the fin shank screws from the pops, and messing with the basic playfield side rails and such.
    Doing a top side shop job and doing a playfield swap are 2 different animals.
    Good luck though, patience will get you through it, and it’s great when you’re done!

2 months later
    #33 9 months ago

Last question. Is there any parts I should order for doing the playfield swap?

I’m going to order a bunch of t nuts, I figured it would be better to use new ones instead of reusing the old ones.

I already have washers which will be put under all the guide posts.

#34 9 months ago

New rubbers seem like low hanging fruit, might as well update them when you're doing a full swap. New t-nuts are a good call... though on past swaps I've used the old ones if the teeth still bite and don't look gnarled, still can't hurt to put fresh ones in. The game is too new and LED'd so you don't need to proactively swap lights.

I'm trying to think of other high wear parts but the game just can't have that many plays it to warrant looking at flippers or pop's.

I also can't think of any areas where you may drop a piece of mylar during the swap because it's easier to get to. Beyond the ball dropping into the in lanes does it land anywhere else repetitively? It's been a while since I played an AIQ, I guess it does off the plunge but that is more of a skip than a drop. Maybe take a good close look at your existing playfield for areas that look a little more worn than others?

If you're adding Cliffy's, now is the time for sure, way easier on a bare playfield. Thinking of other mods that you may want to deal with now, there was a machined Doctor Stranger spinner people liked when I owned one, that's gotta be easier to deal with now.

#35 9 months ago
    Quoted from roar:

New rubbers seem like low hanging fruit, might as well update them when you're doing a full swap. New t-nuts are a good call... though on past swaps I've used the old ones if the teeth still bite and don't look gnarled, still can't hurt to put fresh ones in. The game is too new and LED'd so you don't need to proactively swap lights.
    I'm trying to think of other high wear parts but the game just can't have that many plays it to warrant looking at flippers or pop's.
    I also can't think of any areas where you may drop a piece of mylar during the swap because it's easier to get to. Beyond the ball dropping into the inlands does it land anywhere else repetitively? It's been a while since I played an AIQ, I guess it does off the plunge but that is more of a skip than a drop. Maybe take a good close look at your existing playfield for areas that look a little more worn than others?
    If you're adding Cliffy's, now is the time for sure, way easier on a bare playfield.

The game has maybe 200 plays on it. I’d really be shocked if it had that many. With the old playfield warped, it just wasn’t any fun to play.

I already have cliffy’s installed, so I’ll be transferring them over.

The playfield will have the mylar already installed from Stern.

The rubbers on the game are all Titans. I’ll just move them over.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-a-question-about-a-stern-replacement-playfield- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.