Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hob.jpg
smg2.pdf (PDF preview)
smg.pdf (PDF preview)
image.jpg
image-367.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craz4pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 9 years ago

Oh good grief. The cat is out of the bag now. A Smaug edition of Hobbit? I'm glad I saved the picture locally first (and no, I won't share it to those now asking ... wait 10 hours, *smile) before they deleted the other thread. I guess Aurich really wasn't far off.

#34 9 years ago

Is there going to be a live video feed tonight? If so, where to find the link?

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

TH is not even shipping yet. How are TH preorder buyers going to feel about this?

I would say it's just like WOZ was with the 75th edition. They'll likely be given the chance to switch to this "other" edition (and likely for a discounted price at that .. or even free.) At least they're announcing it now before they start shipping.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

BZZZZT. Incorrect.

Can I guess again? lol.

The new reveal of the "Smaug" gold edition will actually be the "limited edition". After today the price on this LE rises to 9k. The regular edition will be 8k and is the artwork we've already seen?

And Beez ... I suspect you'll be very happy (happier than I was getting my ECLEWOZ just prior to them announcing the 75th edition) .... just wait 10 hours.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Store says $8k standard, $8.5k limited, $9k Smaug edition.

I'm sure this will obviously all be cleared up tonight .. but even after their explanation tonight I think I'll still find this strategy very confusing. Your middle tier game ... at 8.5K ... is the "limited" edition. And the high-end version of your game (Gold/Smaug) is 9K and apparently unlimited? Seems odd to me but I'm sure both versions will look cool.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

From the listed features the only difference is the artwork, trim and a gold colored Smaug toy.

Correct, that's what I saw. BUT ... even if folks can switch to the Gold Smaug edition for FREE ... I still find it confusing. Why does the Smaug edition appear unlimited, and the middle tier game (at 8500) IS limited? And why would this not be a little upsetting to everyone that even yet another edition of the game will be out there ... and likely hurting the resale value of these games even further.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No, there was a thread with a leak of JJP's official pic, that was deleted. I didn't bother saving the photo out of it, everyone will see it tonight.
It will become clear why Jack wasn't too happy with my mockups soon enough.

Although I think your red armor choice really popped much better! A "Fire Red Smaug" edition would have been cool.

The page noted an all gold Smaug figure in this new edition. We'll apparently see tonight ... but if Smaug is anywhere near as detailed as many of us are hoping ... I'm not sure why anyone would want an all Gold Smaug? Seems like that would just kill the detail in the figure.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I think everyone expected a Smaug version at one time or another.

I really didn't. If I was still on the JJP Google forum I would go find the post from Jack where he swore there would be no other special edition of Hobbit beyond the limited edition.

#109 9 years ago

Considering the JJP site clearly listed 3 different prices ($8000, $8500, and $9000) and 3 different models for Hobbit .... here seem to be the only (likely) possibilities:
1) The $8500 version is the "limited edition" that current pre-orders represent. The $9000 version is this new "Gold Smaug Edition" and current pre-orders will have the option to upgrade either for a reduced fee or possibly even for free
Note: It still remains to be revealed whether this new "Gold Smaug Edition" will be a "limited" edition or just a "special" unlimited edition.
2) The $9000 "Gold Smaug Edition" is now the "limited" edition and is what all current pre-orders will be getting. The $8500 version with the artwork already shown becomes a "special" edition with powder coating over the "standard" edition which will just be brushed chrome.

Option 1 seems the most likely since, IF JJP is close to selling out the LE's, what would be the point of raising (or listing) the price to $9K now (as noted in option 2).

All I know is ... if I was expecting to have a "Limited" edition of a game, I would think that edition would be the deluxe, high-end, and more expensive version (and fewest made too.) It seems crazy to me that JJP would once again introduce another new model above the "limited" edition model. Can't wait for how this gets spun tonight.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Sorry to hear, but thanks for clearing that up.

I'm pretty sure he's only saying there's zero chance that they'll start taking deposits tonight. I'd be surprised if they didn't mention Pat's game at all. I don't think they'll take any deposits on Pat's game ... just payments when they're ready to ship! At least I hope so.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

All due respect, but I don't think LE means that you can't have other LE models. THLE is one LE version, Smaug is another LE. Doesn't Stern do this also? AC/DC - back in black / let there be rock. Transforms had an autobots and decepticons LE versions if I recall.

Stern gives you the LE options all at once. They don't announce one LE, wait nearly 2 years, and then announce another. I thought JJP would have learned their lesson after Ruby Red and the numerous customers they upset but apparently not. Additionally, I know for a fact that Jack once stated on the Google forum something to the effect that there would be no other special editions of Hobbit (he wouldn't do it again.) He fooled me once (shame on him) ... thank goodness I didn't let him fool me twice.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Wow this is becoming a habit.
BZZZZZT WRONG!

Okay ... so I'm wrong, JJP will not say anything about Pat's game. I'm not sure why that is something for you to be proud to say that I'm wrong about, but okay.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Whatever tonight brings....it will decide what my first NIB is. Star Trek Premium or Hobbit.
A lot of you will say "Duh! Hobbit!" and that's fine....as long as it knocks my socks off.

Can't you just about buy a used (but mint) STLE for the price of a NIB ST Premium? You just have your heart set on a NIB?

I think there is little chance Hobbit won't prove to be a great game (and certainly better than ST.)

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Alex, you must have been a fireman in a previous life, because you are constantly putting out fires here!

And Luci.
We musn't forget Luci.

Luci edition was not a limited edition game and was basically priced the same as the other Premium. That being said, I think Stern coming out with new editions (vault edition or otherwise) after the initial launch of the game is also incredibly idiotic. All they are doing is encouraging folks to not buy NIB and instead just sit back and wait a few years to see what all versions really do come out. It comes back to the whole resale factor/argument too. I certainly don't need my games to go up in value ... I just don't want to have to take a 30% (or so) hit right off the bat. It's ridiculous especially considering the significant price increases we've seen in the industry. Both Stern and JJP are shooting themselves in the foot (IMHO) but just can't get themselves to see past today.

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Stern bringing out Vault Editions is hardly idiotic. It's good business sense.

I'm one of the ones who isn't just saying he's not buying NIB again ... I'm actually not. You don't think there are many folks who felt burned by Luci coming out or by JJP announcing the Ruby Red 75th edition? The impact may not be obvious or have fully occured yet, but it will. I obviously still need some folks to volunteer putting up their money for NIB so I can buy the game in a year or so for 30-35% discount. So please .. be excited .. Hobbit will be a great game .. and buy it! <- Not sarcasm.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

However this plays out, I think those that pre-ordered should be able to opt for the higher end (possibly Smaug) model at no cost.
If not, that'd be a real shame for JJP to pull this kind of BS a second time.

If it is free to you (quite possibly) ... then they are certainly treating you a lot nicer than they treated the folks who waited even longer for their ECLE WOZ's (and supported them from day 1 despite never seeing any game from them.) There was no "free" option to switch to the 75th Edition and many of us didn't have the option period (since our ECLE was already delivered when the 75th Edition was announced.)

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

You pre-ordered a $7k plus pin from a startup company that had never built one before? Without having seen images of it or a flipping whitewood, etc??

Yes, yes I did (except I paid $7500 nearly 2 years in advance.) I was sold on Jack's speeches and charisma. But then reality sunk in ... many delays, unrealistic ship dates (that many of us felt were flat out lies in hindsight), features not delivered on, game elements that were disappointing, and the biggest slap in the face ... the newer LE, with additional toys, the 75th Ruby Red Edition.

Not a good experience at all. Many chalked it up to ... hey, it's their first game, it was a one-time thing with Warner Bros. celebrating the 75th anniversary and their special catalog, blah blah blah. Oh yeah? Well let's see what JJP announces with Hobbit in an hour.

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Perhaps I am in the minority here, but I never buy an LE because it is purported to be "limited." I buy it because of its particular feature set. I couldn't care less how many of them are made or how many other versions are eventually produced. Dollar for dollar, the original WOZ-ECLE was a much better deal than the 75th. I wouldn't have wanted to spend the extra $$$ for red trim, etc. On the other hand, I strongly preferred the STLE backglass and trim, so I was willing to pay the extra $1.5k (or whatever it was at the time). The whole LE thing is an illusion and a distraction.

So it's safe to assume you are absolutely NOT a pre-order on Hobbit at this point since you've never been told what the features of the LE are, correct? I'm in the same boat. Except ... I also feel the need to wait another 2-3 years before I feel more comfortable that they won't announce any more new versions for me to consider (and likely by then, I'm happy to buy used.)

#158 9 years ago

Oh oh ... HObbit making it's way into the hall!

Hob.jpgHob.jpg

#161 9 years ago

Edit: <Scratch this>

#163 9 years ago

I think it's a very good sign for JJP that they seem to be the most anticipated announcement of the day ...

#164 9 years ago

lol ... there it is!! Whatever game you want! Jack just announced it!

P.S - No I'm not bothered, lol.

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

He insulted you because you gave up your position on Hobbit and could've had a Smaug edition for the same price.

Oh, who gives a crap about price. Interest on $7500 over 2 years?? Evens out no problem.

I'm more bothered that he is pulling the SAME BS EVEN YET AGAIN (SURPRISE, ANOTHER LE), LIED ABOUT NOT HAVING ANY OTHER EDITION BEYOND THE LE, AND NOW WANTS TO TAKE CARE OF FOLKS IN ON #2 AND NOT WOZ. UGH.

But oh well ... it's about what I expected at this point.

#168 9 years ago

Lol, oh give me a break boob. Jesus. Just disgraceful. Hobbit will be a super fun game. A great game even. But the way they're doing biz ... so sad IMO.

#169 9 years ago

Great ... now they're laughing themselves at WOZ and joking that "Thank God the LED system is not like WOZ".

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

For those of us not following the live feed, are you upset that those who pre-ordered Hobbit LE can switch to the Smaug edition free of charge but that there's not a discounted Smaug edition for WOZLE purchasers? Or is there something else going on with the pricing?

I concede I'm likely in a minority due to me supporting JJP early on enough to be frustrated by delays and other announcements ... AND not quite getting in at $6500 (but rather at $7500.)

That being said ... Jack stated on the Google forum he would not do this again. And he DID. He said there would not be another version of beyond the one LE, and now there is. Perhaps that is my issue alone that I find JJP to continue to be deceitful. Additionally ... I don't understand ... even if you can move "sideways" and upgrade to the gold Smaug edition for free .. how does it not bother you that there will be more than just the 1500 LE versions ... there will now be X number of Gold Smaug Limited editions as well (part of the announcement was that the Gold Smaug LE will be limited to the number of games that sell by Dec. 31). I would be ticked off either way at the increased number of LE's AND having to chose between one or the other. Just crazy ... but maybe that's just me as usual.

And yes, why was the option to "move sideways" to the 75th Ruby Red edition never given to ECLE WOZ pre-orders who waited even longer for their games and supported a new company before they every even showed they could build a game at all??

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

He said he learned from his mistakes and wants to make good with the hobbit. It's cool. And it is okay that they improved the lighting system - WOZ was their first pin and they had to learn from it. It is likely they will carry on improvements to the 3rd game as well from things done 'wrong' in the hobbit.

It's "cool" for folks who could spend money on the first TWO games! Or heck, even the second game alone. Not so cool for those who risked a lot on game #1 alone. Just more frustration.

You really don't have any hesitation about drinking their Kook-aid?

And seriously ... all the build-up to this like there were going to be several great surprises?!? How many Hobbit pre-orders were overwhelmed by the number of surpirses revealed tonight?

The most exciting announcement of the night went to Dutch Pinball and if you pre-order TBL by Sunday you get a free upgrade to all chrome trim (in addition to the rug.)

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am disappointed about a few things.
1) the lack of Smaug integration with the playfield. JJP seems to hate that as well. The angle of Smuag is a bit funny from the players perspective. Overall sculpt is pretty good - I feel he should have teeth though.
2) The Bag End book isn't doing it for me at all.
Overall I think the pin is worth keeping my order. Some may bail, some may come aboard. What I am most interested in:
1) The LCD movie assets (those look cool so far)
2) The music and call outs
3) The amazing game play modes

I think you're good on #3. I don't think the rules will disappoint at all. I would be more concerned about #1 and #2. There were really not very many movie clips in WOZ (maybe .. maybe a dozen, and most were short/edited). The music? Not the original songs and some of the classics were completely missing. Hopefully Hobbit is different.

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

the music and call outs are nuts, I guess you missed the sound portion of the talks. This will undoubtedly kill anything we have heard before. Also the movie assets were discussed in length and there will be more footage and clips than can shake a stick at. The book I agree has to go. Smaug to me is good and I want to see how it all comes together, screen toy and sound. Looks like there is gonna be Craz y interaction and player decision making as is.

If you're happy then that is all that matters!! I never even considered the "book" that folks seem disappointed with. I really assumed that was an LCD toy there. If you like Smaug then great! But .. I'm not even remotely impressed or thinking "wow". A head alone for Smaug? Mediocre detail? Where is the interaction? How is this pin beyond anything else we've seen prior? I just feel like .. it's not. But, I will admit I expect to get one some day (for much less) in the 6k-7k range (used.) But I'm not concerned if I don't find one.

#179 9 years ago

Hmm. 3 thumbs down total for my last 3 posts. All from Jack himself though (and 4 of 5 thumbs down on my last 4 posts.) I respect disagreement .. but only when you have a counter point (which is rare lately on here.)

JJP has overcome many difficulties to get where they are today. Some respect is certainly deserved. I honestly think they've proven to be a real pinball manufacturer (against Stern's standards, lol), but I'm personally disappointed at the direction pinball is heading. Unsustainable pricing ... lack of innovation ... and lack of transparency. I've watched passionately online for the past 8 hours and it was a real eye opener.

Edit: Excuse me, I was thumbs downed 9 out of my last 9 posts by Jack. I don't think he agrees with my thinking, lol. Fair enough.

To be fair ... JJP will quite possibly still have plenty of excited buyers and go on to be very successful. It's possibly just me who became the bitter customer.

#196 9 years ago

lol. He "may" have been a little over optimistic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 91.00
$ 5.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 16.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craz4pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-a-great-expo-jjp?tu=craz4pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.