image_(resized).jpeg
LesTrat_(resized).jpg
DSC02275_(resized).JPG
DSC02284_(resized).JPG
DSC02280_(resized).JPG
DSC02273_(resized).JPG
30246318_(resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 524 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
#1 7 years ago

Hey guys

I am posting this because I have a chance to get my grail machine back, it is a Gottlieb Rocky I restored about 8 years ago, only problem, I do not have the money, and I am trying everything I can think of to get there. I started a Go Fund Me page, now I honestly am embarrassed to be doing this, but this machine means the world to me, the full story is on the page, years ago to help my family, I sold off my entire collection of Rocky Items, as hard as I tried, I finally had to let go of the Rocky machine, I still remember loading it into the car when it was picked up, horrible memory for me.. I am lucky that I sold it to one of my best friends, and he has offered to let me buy it back, so I am selling everything and anything I can to raise the money, I even have some parts listed in the market place asking that payment be sent to the go fund me page.

As most of you know, I cannot work at this time, due to my quadruple bypass, diabetes, diabetic retinopathy, and the damage it caused to my legs and feet, I have been trying for a year to get disability, I have a lawyer, but now it is going to court next year.

Some of you will notice I sold off a bunch of pinball machines in the past month, well long story short, I had a deal with my wife's aunt, where she bought the machines, I did all the work, and we both paid for parts, but the idea was they stay here, she decided on me that she had too much money into them, and wanted her money back, so the games sold every penny went to her, And when I was very close to getting all her money back, she decided to take 5 of the machines instead of me selling them, so she has 8K into them, and has Stern Batman, T3, Star Wars Trilogy, Lethal Weapon 3, and Flintstones.. Needless to say, I ended up on the losing side of this big time, when it started I was working, I had about 8800 bucks in bulbs, parts, boards, glass, etc into those machines, so I actually after the sales of the games have more money into them than she does.. Lesson learned! Not to mention she took 5 powered subwoofers, one for each game. I only mention this in case anyone was wondering why I just sold the games and now am trying this.

I know there are more important and better causes out there, and I can understand if someone reads this and says "No way in hell would I donate to this" I just ask that you please not bash me for trying.

I do have a bunch of boards for sale at lower prices than I could find online, I have a bunch of Ebay auctions going as well, under SCasce3477, if your interested in anything on EBay, send me a PM, and I just ask that the payment go to the go fund me page to keep it active. I also have a beautiful Sony XBR-65HX929 LED tv with full array lighting, smart tv, still in mint condition and I am including a Sony 3D blu ray player as well, all you need is the glasses for 3D, it is a 1080P set, and has a beautiful picture, I bought it brand new, and there is not a scratch on it, works 100% it would have to be picked up, but I am letting it go for 650 bucks, and I am less than an hour from Pintastic. I have talked to a few members in the basement forum, and they suggested I just post it in the regular forums, and see what happens, and after talking with them both, they promised not to attack this post, as they understand the full story, and what this game means to me, it is VERY sentimental, and it would bring a lot of joy into my life to have it back.

Please do not bash me too hard on this, it is just one of those things, where I feel if I don't try everything and anything I can think of, It might happen. To my friends who suggested I post it in the regular forum, thank you for your understanding and support. If this is something you do not agree with, I understand, but again, I just ask that you please not bash me for trying, I am selling whatever I can to try to make this happen. Please check out my marketplace ad with boards and a few parts listed there.

https://www.gofundme.com/bringthechamphome

Thank you
Steve
Balboarules
CARGPB#37

#2 7 years ago

Honest question: Why not have your friend hold on to it for however long period of time it takes for you to save $4000 and buy it?

#3 7 years ago

Pretty bad situation for poor Steve-o...

All I know is that even in his bad financial situation, he still found it in his heart to donate $20 to get Lloyd to Pintastic when I did my fundraiser. So I'm returning the favor in the hopes that he gets his machine back, and I urge others with the means to do the same.

If you don't believe he's in dire financial straits, just look at the TV and Blu-ray package that he's practically giving away at $650.

I hope others chip in, and I wish you the best of luck, Steve. Hope to meet you soon.

#4 7 years ago

Don't buy anything you can't afford. Simple

#5 7 years ago

Edit- Help is on the way!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Honest question: Why not have your friend hold on to it for however long period of time it takes for you to save $4000 and buy it?

He is holding it, and I am trying to sell everything I can to raise the money, please note the items I have listed for sale in the market place, on EBay, etc. This is just a case where it means that much to me, I am trying everything possible, maybe this raises nothing, but if I don't try, I don't know, this is more sentimental to me than I can express in words, please read the story I posted on the fund me page, maybe it will help you guys understand.

#7 7 years ago

Thank you for the support Boob, I appreciate it.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think every pinsider should do a kickstarter for machines they want.

Shit, if it works I'll do kickstarters for machines I don't want.

#9 7 years ago

Edit- joke wasn't really funny.

#10 7 years ago

It is a machine he previously owned and restored, right? Let's not give him a hard time...

Sale pending on your TAF? Should be enough, no?

#11 7 years ago

Thank you for the donation Boob, really really appreciate it. I also listed a Sony TV and Blu Ray player, I am less than an hour from Pintastic, it would have to be picked up, but selling it for 650 bucks for both pieces. Research XBR-65HX929 sony, the reviews are stellar, and the tv is in mint condition, I bought it brand new.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

It is a machine he previously owned and restored, right? Let's not give him a hard time...

Thank you HighVoltage, yes it is one I previously owned and restored, and had to sell for my family. TAF and other machines I sold are not mine, I did all the work and put money and labor and driving all over the place to get, but the money all goes back to my wife's aunt, I do not see a dime of any of that. I so wish I did! Boob knows the whole story on that mess.

#13 7 years ago

If you can't raise enough you could always do a cash advance on your credit card.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you can't raise enough you could always do a cash advance on your credit card.

That's how i buy all of mine.. Is this a bad idea?

#15 7 years ago

My student loan gofundme is next. Down to $7400 from $38000

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from eraserhead:

That's how i buy all of mine.. is this a bad idea?

Not at all! Sometimes if you don't have the cash and an opportunity arises, the bank will gladly help.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not at all! Sometimes if you don't have the cash and an opportunity arises, the bank will gladly help.

Perhaps i should put some of those courtesy checks to use, then.... I've been saving them for a "well deserved vacation" (at least that's what the issuing bank recommended i use them for).

It's always comforting to know financial institutions are looking out for my best interest(s).

#18 7 years ago

Why would one of your " best friends" not give you the machine back and let you pay in installments.
Considering the circumstances and how much this means to you.

I would for my friends.

#19 7 years ago

I do feel this is a worthy cause and just tried to donate but they don't take paypal where I have a few bucks lingering in an account.

Sorry.

#20 7 years ago

Click this and read the OP again.

#21 7 years ago

I do not have any credit cards, And once I raise a decent amount towards it though sales, and possibly some donations, I am going to ask him if we can do that.

#22 7 years ago

Donation mailed. Hope Rocky comes home.

LTG : )

#23 7 years ago

Lloyd, thank you so much, and Boob, and O-Din, I am going to try to take those donations and see if I can make my own donation showing your names..

For those who truly understand, thank you so much for the kind words and support, It is more than a machine to me, if you read my story on the go fund me page, you will understand more..

O-din and I have exchanged a few emails, and he is a fantastic guy, same with Boob, and LLoyd.

I am very touched by the support, I knew there were going to be some posts attacking me, and I get why they are happening, but if you knew the full story, I think you might understand better.

Thank you everyone, God Bless you all!

#24 7 years ago

Donation sent directly to Steve via paypal.

Hope that helps!

#25 7 years ago

I have watched this scene over a thousand times for motivation every day. I even have a small poster with this quote on the wall.

#26 7 years ago

O-Din, thank you from the bottom of my heart! I appreciate it more than I can put into words!

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

O-Din, thank you from the bottom of my heart! I appreciate it more than I can put into words!

No problem. If I took the time to read entire posts instead of skimming them, I sometimes wouldn't be putting my foot in my mouth.

Having health issues makes even the simplest things in life difficult. Believe me, I know.

If this will in any way help you feel better about your situation right now, then everybody that can should chip in.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No problem. If I took the time to read entire posts instead of skimming them, I sometimes wouldn't be putting my foot in my mouth.
Having health issues makes even the simplest things in life difficult. Believe me, I know.
If this will in any way help you feel better about your situation right now, then everybody that can should chip in.

Quite an amazing turnaround from your first post, Odie...I knew there was a reason I loved you (besides the cigar-chomping dog!).

#29 7 years ago

Unless you have had major health issues, it may be hard to understand what Steve is going thru right now.

The simple pleasure of seeing and having a machine that means so much to him and put so much work into is more than just another pinball acquisition.

For Steve it may be the best medicine of all.

#30 7 years ago

I am not ashamed to say that the day it comes back, I am going to cry. O-din nailed it, this is not just another pinball acquisition, this game coming back to me will bring so much joy back into my life, to get something back I thought was gone forever, I put so much love into this game because of what the theme meant to me, it goes back to when I was 9 years old.

#31 7 years ago

Oh, and if you cannot use the go fund me for any reason, I was able to transfer O-din's generous donation over to the site, so paypal can work as well. And please check out my stuff for sale, Good boards and stuff, and if you like Blu ray movies, I have over 200 listed on EBay under SCasce3477, and still have that Sony TV and blu ray player, and live less than an hour from Pintastic!

#32 7 years ago

Very cool you are acknowledging O-din, but GoFundMe charges administration expenses (6%?) so may be better to just thank him here.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

this game coming back to me will bring so much joy back into my life,

I understand.

Years back at the height of everything going wrong, an attempted break in of my business broke a window and my Goose neon sign was broken. It took a long time, but the Goose going back up meant to me things were going to get better.

I can't wait for Rocky's triumphant return !

LTG : )

#34 7 years ago

That makes 2 of us Lloyd. Boy will that be a special post!

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Tribonian:

Very cool you are acknowledging O-din, but GoFundMe charges administration expenses (6%?) so may be better to just thank him here.

Oh, did not know that one... well too late now, that is a shame, I thought it would be great for those interested to see the progress.

Thank you for the info.

#36 7 years ago

I just want to say that the two people that thumbed the OP down are horrible human beings. I said it during my fund drive for Lloyd, and I'll say it again: If you have no interest in participating, simply move on. What the hell are you doing in this thread, anyway?

People doing that in my thread nearly sunk the drive, and it was because of a few generous donors who gave BIG that the fund wound up being successful. Go away and let the guy have his fund drive.

#37 7 years ago

Thanks Boob.

#38 7 years ago

Thank you D Macy for the generous donation! Guys, I sincerely appreciate all the donations, and the support. I know there will be people against this, it was expected, but there is so much more good that bad here, and I thank you all so much!

#39 7 years ago

I blew my knee out when I was 17. Want to get an mmr. Please donate PayPal to [email protected]

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Oh it's more than pending...it's happening this Sunday.

Thank you, Steve, for being patient with me and honoring your word to sell me your TAF. I promise I'll take wonderful care of it as it will be in a humidity free, no natural sunlight, fully finished basement.

I wish my money for TAF would go to his Rocky, but as I understand it, it goes straight to his wife's aunt. Sucks, it's a bad situation, and I wish there was a way I could stipulate the money would go to Steve. That would never fly though as I had to swat away at least 3 other buyers to get this particular game.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just want to say that the two people that thumbed the OP down are horrible human beings. I said it during my fund drive for Lloyd, and I'll say it again: If you have no interest in participating, simply move on. What the hell are you doing in this thread, anyway?
People doing that in my thread nearly sunk the drive, and it was because of a few generous donors who gave BIG that the fund wound up being successful. Go away and let the guy have his fund drive.

Quoted from Msch:

I blew my knee out when I was 17. Want to get an mmr. Please donate PayPal to [email protected]

Add this guy to my list.

#42 7 years ago

Another board has sold, it won't show up on go fund me, this will be cash at Pintastic.

#43 7 years ago

I would seriously consider taking the money and paying for bills that are likely coming instead of a pinball machine. If money is that tight a machine is the last thing you need right now. I understand the go fund me to help pay medical bills, mission trips, etc, but asking someone to pay for a toy? I just do not think it is wise for the giver or the receiver.

#44 7 years ago

Glasairpilot. I agree with you 110 percent. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. If times are that tough you should be putting money aside to pay your every day bills and saving money in case something comes up. If you have a wife and or kids then you should be taking care of them first. It's hard to believe that this machine has taken priority in your life over everything else. Sounds like you have gone threw a lot and that is unfortunate. Take care of life before worrying about getting a pinball and having others pay for it.

#45 7 years ago

no harm in trying, in my opinion. i hope he succeeds.

i don't really see the point of posting here criticizing him, though. if you're not interested in helping, don't donate. it's not like you're expressing stuff he hasn't thought or been told already.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

no harm in trying, in my opinion. i hope he succeeds.
i don't really see the point of posting here criticizing him, though. if you're not interested in helping, don't donate. it's not like you're expressing stuff he hasn't thought or been told already. it's condescending.

You know...you and I disagree on a lot (we come from opposite sides of the political spectrum, which I think probably fuels a lot of it).

But I don't care about that, because today, I love you.

#47 7 years ago

This is really pissing me off now. There are people in this world that can't afford to eat and dying of starvation and medical issues and this guy wants money to buy a pinball. Does anyone not see a problem with this?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from dsmith:

This is really pissing me off now. There are people in this world that can't afford to eat and dying of starvation and medical issues and this guy wants money to buy a pinball. Does anyone not see a problem with this?

Man there are people dying out there and you are sitting around posting on a messageboard?? I'm outraged!

#49 7 years ago

I'm not asking anyone for money

#50 7 years ago

If pinside is a place where members should be treated equally, then we should all be able to start a thread requesting donations for reasons important to us. And if we were to all do this, what would pinside become?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

There are 524 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-a-chance-to-get-my-grail-back?hl=jake35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.