DSC00955.JPG
DSC00954.JPG
spacer.jpg
Top Ball Gate.jpg
ballgate hangup.jpg
ballgate.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hi there!

I've 99.9% finished restoring my Haunted House. It's gorgeous (if I do say so myself) and I'm very proud of it. I did give it a bit more of an incline as I like a bit faster play, but I think it's causing me a bit of an issue.

When you first shoot the ball, it pushes up a little wireframe gate and enters the main playfield. However it seems that the gate does not span the width of the lane completely. If the ball doesn't get shot with enough oomph by the player, it hits the bottom of the gate and gets stuck. the only way I can get it out is if I physically stand on the left side of the machine (as viewed from the front) and tilt it on the 2 legs that are on the right of the machine.

I'm thinking that I could create a new gate that spans the width of the lane, it probably would not be too hard, but I'm wondering if someone else has seen this type of thing before?

Attached is a picture.

ballgate.JPGballgate.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Where does the ball hang up?

Steve

#3 10 years ago

Hi Steve,

See the below picture, I circled where the ball just lay against. It seems that the bend in the gate really should be closer to the large metal rail (the one that's screwed into the playfield, the screw is visible).

I don't think it's the wrong part, I bought replacements from PBR and when I disassembled, I verified what came out originally.

ballgate hangup.jpgballgate hangup.jpg
#4 10 years ago

Just as I posted requesting a pic, you put up one. I had to change my post. LOL. It looks like a Gottlieb gate but I'm not sure it's the correct gate. The 1987 parts catalog shows a wire form gate, part # A-20272. The upstairs wire form gate is part # A-27299. Since they have different part #'s, is it possible that you've mixed them up during your restoration?

Steve

#5 10 years ago

haha - You were editing yours while I was editing mine to show the hangup. Too funny!

#6 10 years ago

Just added to my previous post.

Steve

#7 10 years ago

Hmmm, I don't think so as the attic (upstairs) is a perfect fit. The main playfield ball gate (the one in question) is too wide for the upstairs playfield.

Typically the ball travels along the cylindrical rail (which is visible in the left hand side of my picture) but I suppose since I tilted the machine more, it just lacks the force to stay traveling on that rail and falls down, and collides and gets stuck.

I originally had the gate reversed, and 99% of the time it never got out of the gate since it would be traveling against the upper rail and slam into the side of the gate. Reversing the gate fixed that.

I still think the gate should be as wide as the lane

#8 10 years ago

Well, if all else fails, I posted the correct part # for the gate and you could try ordering another from TPR.

Steve

#9 10 years ago

I just found a picture pre-restore as I was taking the playfield apart. Yeah it's the right one. You can really see it great here - looks like it would definitely hit, so I do have the right part.

Outside of making a custom gate, I don't think there's a great solution.

Top Ball Gate.jpgTop Ball Gate.jpg
#10 10 years ago

I had that exact same issue....and I fixed it by adding a little tiny spacer (or washer?) on the wire to keep the gate in place. I have no idea where to get them though, I really need a couple more....I found this one in the cabinet.

spacer.jpgspacer.jpg

#11 10 years ago

The 2 gate positions are different in both of your pics. On your last pic, the part of the wireform that bends down is on the top. Your first pic of the gate has the part that bends down at the bottom. I'd look at your original wireform and see if something is different from the new one. Perhaps Steve Young at TPR sent you the wrong wireform. The area that bends down looks like it's positioned different between the 2 pics (down and away vs. down).

Steve

#12 10 years ago

Actually what's really interesting is that my gate is installed backwards from what Sharon posted (though both have the wireframe in the right direction; otherwise the ball could never get out).

In hers, the longer portion of the gate (with the 2 holes for mounts) is mounted against the cylindrical guide. In mine the opposite (even on my pre-restore)

OK, and where it gets strange is that when I put the new gate in, I put it in *backwards* from my original pic - i.e. it was like Sharon's. The reason I reversed it was that the ball when shooting travels against the cylindrical rail and smacks right into the side and can't exit.

Sharon, I don't see how on yours, when you shoot the ball, it doesn't slam right into the side of the gate!

(+ I think it's hysterical that I've come this far and everything is working great, but I'm thwarted by a silly gate... hah!)

#13 10 years ago

Heh, I can't say for sure that my gate is installed the right way either....it was actually bent at the arms so that it would clear when I got it, and I straightened it out.

Do you mean that on mine it looks like the gate wouldn't clear the metal rail? I did have to bend it away from the rail just a little. Now, it goes right through the gate, bounces back and hits the closed gate. Before my adjustments and the washer thingy, the gate would either stay open too long and the ball would bounce back into the shooter lane, or the gate would get stuck and the ball would never exit.

Here's a short video of mine... http://bit.ly/1c21S4a It's an MP4, I know Chrome can't view it. I can change the format if you need.

#14 10 years ago

Here is a picture I took of mine during my teardown. There were no problems with the ball getting stuck there.

DSC00954.JPGDSC00954.JPG
DSC00955.JPGDSC00955.JPG

#15 10 years ago

Wait... I just noticed that in my picture, the wire gate is on the opposite way that yours is. See how that hook is on the other side? Our brackets are installed the same though. Maybe try switching the gate around?

#16 10 years ago

That's interesting, radium- the flat metal guide on yours looks like it was installed slightly further back (based on the dirt lines!) on mine it's but up against the edge of the playfield where the attic cutout is.

#17 10 years ago

I think that's not sitting dirt, that's ground-in filth where the ball traveled. I had to sand a lot of that out.

I found another shot that might be helpful.

DSC00780.JPGDSC00780.JPG
#18 10 years ago

Yep yours is the same as mine. I just don't quite get how it's not banging into that side (near the knight's head, under the WELCOME) for anyone.

#19 10 years ago

Looking at Radium's last picture, it looks like his bracket is also bent some to allow the wire to hang out of the way.

#20 10 years ago

Well, it's not the wire it's hitting - it's the bracket itself.

#21 10 years ago

Hm. Could taller posts help? I see the manual doesn't indicate what post goes behind the rail, but mine is taller than 1". It's also not connected to the arch rod post, but a different one right next to it. There's a nut on top of the siamese post on the other side. Not that these are the right ones, by any means - my game is pretty hacktastic, so they could be wrong. Heh. They are likely wrong.

Or am I completely misunderstanding, and it's hitting a part of the bracket where it doesn't matter what height it would be?

I think this must be a fairly common thing, as my bracket was bent at both arms quite a bit, and that seemed to keep it out of the way.

post-688.jpgpost-688.jpg
post2-734.jpgpost2-734.jpg

#22 10 years ago

It seems that mine is installed right, at least based on a lot of pictures I've seen from others. I think it's just that mine is at more of a tilt, increasing the chance the ball will fall back before it gets out the gate.

I'm going to just make myself a custom slightly wider gate

Thank you everyone - it's really helpful everyone posting up pictures, I appreciate it a lot... great community here at pinside!

#23 10 years ago

Let me know how the custom gate works, I might need to do the same

#24 10 years ago

I have this same problem. A weak plunge results in the ball hanging up on the gate, but the pitch prevents the ball from rolling back into the shooter lane. Happens a lot_. Would be interested to hear how you resolve it.

#25 10 years ago

The issue is when the ball isn't shot up fast enough... there is a speed where it can turn the corner but not enough to stay on the outside rail...that's when it gets hung up. I fixed it by replacing the shooter with a new one which shoots the ball faster. I could find no other way to properly move or modify the gate, but it drastically reduced the odds of hangup.

#26 10 years ago

Hi all,

Here's what I'm doing so far. This is the new gate I'm making (wider new one in the foreground, older in the back). I still need to do the wire, but that's for tomorrow.

New Ball Shooter Gate.JPGNew Ball Shooter Gate.JPG
#27 10 years ago

That looks very nice! Can I help test it out???

#28 10 years ago

Mayyyyybeee....

#29 10 years ago

That looks really good so far!

#30 10 years ago

Unfortunately that was too long, by about 5mm... I had to shorten it up. Here's the final product in phases. I used a paperclip to test the wireform just so I could make sure I had it bent right (wanted to make sure the gate would prevent the ball from going backwards.) In that 2nd picture, the new one is in the front (bottom of the picture) and the original one from the machine is in the back. The middle one is the one I made that was too long.

Final result works great!

New Shooter Gate - metal layed out comparing with old and previous.jpgNew Shooter Gate - metal layed out comparing with old and previous.jpg
New Shooter Gate - formed and comparing with old and previous.JPGNew Shooter Gate - formed and comparing with old and previous.JPG
New Shooter Gate - paperclip test wireform.JPGNew Shooter Gate - paperclip test wireform.JPG
New Shooter Gate - real wireform.JPGNew Shooter Gate - real wireform.JPG
New Shooter Gate - installed and working.JPGNew Shooter Gate - installed and working.JPG

#31 10 years ago

Amazing! And it looks really nice too! Can I buy one from you?

#32 10 years ago

Sharon: If I were to make another I'd just give it to you. I wouldn't even know what to ask for it. That said, I initially dry sanded the aluminum for the 1st one (the one that was too long) and wore a blister in my finger (I wet-sanded the 2nd one), and I'm currently out of wire (I pulled the piece for the gate from my workshop rafters, who says being a scavenger isn't worth it).

So... it may be a while before I decide to make another

#33 10 years ago

Heh, good job scavenging! If you happen to come across materials to make another, I'll send something along for the blisters....

You really did a nice job on it. HEY that means your HH is all done, right?

#34 10 years ago

The only thing that is left is the fact that the battery backup for the scores isn't working. I made another tech post about it, this one is a little more baffling to me. That won't prevent playing it though!

I bought 2 really sweet laughing skulls at Target, I want to make them a topper. When you press a button on them, they actually open their mouths and move them up and down and laugh and the eyes light up. I want to power them from the game (instead of batteries), have their laugh come out of the game's speakers, and have the game trigger them. I was thinking I could wire switches from the game into their trigger - maybe the "special" on the lower playfield... something that doesn't happen all the time. Or maybe if the trap door is open... or maybe the "secrete passage" target on the main playfield... so many choices

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from TVisitor:

The only thing that is left is the fact that the battery backup for the scores isn't working. I made another tech post about it, this one is a little more baffling to me. That won't prevent playing it though!
I bought 2 really sweet laughing skulls at Target, I want to make them a topper. When you press a button on them, they actually open their mouths and move them up and down and laugh and the eyes light up. I want to power them from the game (instead of batteries), have their laugh come out of the game's speakers, and have the game trigger them. I was thinking I could wire switches from the game into their trigger - maybe the "special" on the lower playfield... something that doesn't happen all the time. Or maybe if the trap door is open... or maybe the "secrete passage" target on the main playfield... so many choices

Oh, that sounds really neat! Pics if you do it! All I did was get that little bag of smaller skulls and stick them various places around the playfield with command strips. Oh, and I found an old Haunted House board game (from the 70s?) and mounted that on the top. It looks amazingly like the one on the backglass.

You said you did a full restore on yours....I just finally got almost all of mine working except for lining up the @$&#$ tube from the basement to the main playfield. No matter how I angle it, the ball seems to hit the sides. Or I can't get it angled enough, or straight enough or something. How do you get that lined up?

#36 10 years ago

Luck?

Actually when I took the game apart, I used an Xacto knife to scratch into the plastic the orientation of the tubes as they appear on their respective collars/mounts. So when I put it back together it was identical. When I put the playfields back in, and dropped the ball down into the lower - it popped back out just fine. I didn't have to actually do anything special.

BTW, I assume we can private message here on pinside? Drop me a message - I can tell you how to find me on Facebook if you're on it. I have a ton of pictures of the restore if you'd like to see them.

#37 10 years ago

Heh. I was afraid of that The bracket that holds mine to the playfield underneath was broken, so I didn't really have any references. Every time I lifted the pf, I had to reorient it. And I've got a new bracket now, but I'm still having a heckuva time getting it to line up and not mash the plastics.

#38 10 years ago

Have you adjusted the bracket on the lower playfield that sits around the kicker hole? Maybe it's too far fwd? (I marked those screws too before I took it off - yep, I'm totally paranoid...)

#39 10 years ago

That's a great idea about the topper. I think I'll go look around at Halloween stuff tomorrow... perfect time of the year.

Also I'm reassembling my HH this weekend after a total restore. Did you take a lot of teardown pictures? I'm worried I didn't take enough and it would be awesome if someone else has a set. I put together the upper playfield and I ran into a lot of "what size screw goes here!?".

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from TVisitor:

Have you adjusted the bracket on the lower playfield that sits around the kicker hole? Maybe it's too far fwd? (I marked those screws too before I took it off - yep, I'm totally paranoid...)

The screw holes for the bracket on mine are stripped, it doesn't really hold anything in place right now. I'll have to get some wood filler into there soon

#41 10 years ago

Here's the topper thingy I made; it's a board game from the 70s I believe. No lights or anything on it yet, but the house looks remarkably like the one on the backglass, so I'm happy.Topper.jpgTopper.jpg

#42 10 years ago

Hey, can someone send me a pic of the underside of the main playfield tube attachment? I finally got everything fixed that my "help" broke recently, but I can't get the tube to line up. Maybe it's not attached right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-houseball-getting-caught-on-ball-gate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.