Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

playboard sw (resized).jpg
sol 2 (resized).jpg
Sw matrix (resized).jpg
sol 2_ (resized).jpg
mpu_sol 2 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Just purchased this partially operating HH yesterday. I have one issue left, the up kicker that kicks the ball up to the left side of the upper playfield. The ball enters the hole and make what I believe is the correct sound and nothing.

MPU - Ni-Wumpf Ltd. System 80 Rev. K 2017
Driver Board - Rotten Dog Amusements System 80 GDB080-1

I ran a solenoid test and solenoid #2, Up Kicker fires as it should.
I ran a switch test and it shows Sw 54 at the Up Kicker. Sw 54 is the Right Outside Rollover! I actuated the Right Outside Rollover and Sw 45, Up Kicker is shown.

I assumed if while in game play I would actuate the Right Outside Rollover the Up Kicker solenoid would fire. It did not, but I believe correct sound for the Right Outside Rollover did.
When the ball enters the receiving hole of the Up Kicker I believe is the correct sound is played, but again the Up Kicker solenoid did not fire.

I checked the switch matrix to what is in the game and the wires check out.

I'm uncertain how this data is getting mixed up. I would be grateful for some understanding to this problem. Thanks much, Tom

Sw matrix (resized).jpgSw matrix (resized).jpg

mpu_sol 2 (resized).jpgmpu_sol 2 (resized).jpgsol 2_ (resized).jpgsol 2_ (resized).jpgsol 2 (resized).jpgsol 2 (resized).jpgplayboard sw (resized).jpgplayboard sw (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

I checked the switch matrix to what is in the game and the wires check out....
I'm uncertain how this data is getting mixed up.

What was your methodology? The switch matrix is connected directly to the MPU, so the most likely cause is something wrong in the wiring circuit.

Did you verify wire colors at the switches and stop there? Or did you physically trace out the wires all the way back to the A1-J6 MPU connector? Alternatively, did you electrically trace out the wires... in other words, did you verify electrical continuity of the circuit back to A1-J6 using your DMM?

With game powered off and A1-J6 disconnected:

• Put your DMM in resistance mode and touch the two leads across pins 6 and 14 on A1-J6 connector. Then actuate switch 54 (Right Outside Rollover). If circuit is good you will see your meter read zero ohms when you close this switch; and infinity (open) otherwise.

• Put your DMM in resistance mode and touch the two leads across pins 5 and 15 on A1-J6 connector. Then actuate switch 45 (Up Kicker). If circuit is good you will see your meter read zero ohms when you close this switch; and infinity (open) otherwise.

All that being said, these are only the INPUTS for the MPU. These are not directly firing solenoids.

First verify the above two input circuits to rule out bad incoming data as the cause of the confusion.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Or did you physically trace out the wires all the way back to the A1-J6 MPU connector?

Thank you for your response. Yes and I took readings.

Up Kicker A1J6, Reading between 5 - 15, with Sw. 45 closed, 7.8 KΩ.
Up Kicker, wire 655, Sw 45 to A1J6.15, .05Ω
Up Kicker, wire 055, Sw 45 to Diode.01Ω, through diode 7.8KΩ, to A1J6.5, .3Ω
Seems normal to me.

Right Outside Rollover A1J6, Reading between 6 - 14, with Sw. 54 closed, 7.8 KΩ.
Right Outside Rollover, wire 644, Sw 54 to A1J6.15, .3Ω
Right Outside Rollover, wire 055, Sw 54 to Diode.01Ω, through diode 6.4KΩ, to A1J6.5, .2Ω

I look forward to know the next steps. Thank you ,Tom

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

Up Kicker A1J6, Reading between 5 - 15, with Sw. 45 closed, 7.8 KΩ.

Without going through the rest of it, that's not right.

From pin 5 to 15, with switch 45 closed, you should be reading close to 0 ohms. My fault for not pointing out the diodes... swap the polarity of the leads and read across pins 5 to 15 again.

EDIT:

Quoted from tcw16505:

Right Outside Rollover, wire 055, Sw 54 to Diode.01Ω, through diode 6.4KΩ, to A1J6.5, .2Ω

This should be A1-J6, pin 6, not pin 5.

Otherwise, your continuity readings don't have any obvious red flags. I would still swap leads and read across pins 5 to 15 and across pins 6 to 14 to see if you read continuity through whole circuit when each switch is closed. Alternatively, to be absolutely sure and not worry about the DMM lead polarity, clip a little test jumper wire across the corresponding diode when taking the continuity readings.

You could also test the diodes without removal since they are wired against open circuits on the one side.

Just to clarify problem description... when you're doing the switch test, you close switch 54 and the display reads "45"? Then when you close switch 45, the display reads "54"?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Just to clarify problem description... when you're doing the switch test, you close switch 54 and the display reads "45"? Then when you close switch 45, the display reads "54"?

Quoted from tcw16505:

the up kicker [solenoid #2] that kicks the ball up to the left side of the upper playfield. The ball enters the hole and make what I believe is the correct sound and nothing.

Quoted from tcw16505:

I ran a solenoid test and solenoid #2, Up Kicker fires as it should.

Quoted from tcw16505:

I ran a switch test and it shows Sw 54 at the Up Kicker. Sw 54 is the Right Outside Rollover!

Quoted from tcw16505:

I actuated the Right Outside Rollover and Sw 45, Up Kicker is shown.

As suggested:

Quoted from sparky672:

clip a little test jumper wire across the corresponding diode

and found continuity 2.3Ω from pin 5 to 15 with Sw. 45 closed.

I found continuity 4.7Ω from pin 6 to 14 with Sw. 54 closed.

Re-ran Sw Test and saw the same results: 54 was displayed for Up Kicker and 45 for the Right Outside Rollover.

So is this more likely a board level issue? Would I need to see if the correct signal is leaving the Control board using like a logic probe (I have one).

Thanks again, Tom

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

So is this more likely a board level issue? Would I need to see if the correct signal is leaving the Control board using like a logic probe (I have one).

From Ni-Wumpf
"Tom,
Gottlieb produced two hardware versions for the up-kicker. Go to the Setup menu, and toward the end, you will see an option to toggle between these two options."

It ended up being LA MP UPH ICH. That was clear as mud. Anyway that took care of it like it never even happened. - Tom

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

...Gottlieb produced two hardware versions for the up-kicker. Go to the Setup menu, and toward the end, you will see an option to toggle between these two options."

So Ni-Wumpf has an MPU option that swaps switch 45 and 54 in their software side of the matrix? Ok, glad you got that figured out.

I wonder if they have that documented anyplace?

EDIT:

I looked at the Ni-Wumpf manual. Page 10:

<Game Options> Here begins a list of game specific option settings – these will correspond to the game manual itself for settings regarding DIP switches 20, 31, and 32 on the original Gottlieb CPU.

But in the Haunted House manual, these are the 3 referenced DIP switches:

20 - Novelty mode
31 - "Must Remain OFF"
32 - Background Tone

If there are some other special settings in this section, Ni-Wumpf should have it better documented - no excuse.

1 week later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-up-kicker-right-outside-rollover- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.