• Latest reply 9 years ago by bklossner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi everyone,

My "Haunted House" table is sick again.

This time it seems more important.

After turning it on, the GI cycles like it normally does but, after 10-seconds, when the machine normally boots up, it freezes. No display, cycling of the lights... nothing. The only thing that remains on are the GI lights.

I have a Ni-Wumpf CPU and Ni-Wumpf driver board installed along with a RottenDog PSU.

The cables/connectors look fine. All of the fuses are in tact. Everything looks beautiful but... still... nothing.

Argh!

-Bob

#2 9 years ago

Update:

So the system's turning on.

The lights look good and the displays are working fine.

But the start button and "self-test" buttons are not responding.

Hmm... probably a problem at the very end of those wires?

#3 9 years ago

Hi Bob, I would be able to help you if you had the original Rockwell boards in your game. I know nothing about Ni-Wumph or Rottendog boards, sorry. All I can say is that it sounds like a switch issue, maybe through a connector?

System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#4 9 years ago

Place the game in switch test. Does the start button register? On a stock MPU, start will cause the current test to restart. I don't know what it does on a NI, but it should either register or restart the test.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#5 9 years ago

Yeah, I think it's probably a connector issue. I learned that my wife was playing it on Friday night and was being a little rough with the cabinet.

Something might have been jostled loose, probably some connectors.

Bleh.

Something for me to work on this afternoon.

To be continued.....

#6 9 years ago

Update:

The game's up and running now. Thanks for the advice about the connectors.

I re-pinned a good deal of the connectors for the wires running from the coin box to the CPU.

Also, I put the stock CPU back in to test.

"WHAM!" Lights up, no freezing, game runs. Very happy.

Then put the Ni-Wumpf CPU back in and saw an extra flash on the "boot-up" led, meaning I need to flash the CPU with a new program of the game. Just went to MonoPrice and ordered a COM serial cable. So I guess the problem was two-fold.

If that doesn't work it looks like I'll be contacting Ace from Ni-Wumpf about repairs.

Keep those spare boards handy boys and girls! You never know when you'll need them.

I'm definitely re-installing the tilt mechanism when I get home tonight so there won't be any banging on this machine.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside