Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by blownfuse
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I posted a while back about a Gottlieb Haunted House that I was fixing for a friend. When I first started the machine was mostly functioning. Everything worked but a few pop bumpers - It desperately needed some rubbers and a bath. After cleaning it up it seemed that everytime I turned it on something else decided it may or may not work. Fast forward to the present and here is what I've got:

I installed a new Rottendog MPU, Driver Board, and Power Supply - I also installed a new connector harness from the Driver board to the MPU. Sadly when I turned it on almost everything was the same, if not worse. I'm now getting intermittent audio, missing credit display, and game resets. The upper and lower playfield are both inop with the exception of the drop target resets. This is the first System 80 I've worked on and I think I need a Dummies Guide to Gottlieb. I know I've got a wiring or grounding problem somewhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Mike V.

Anybody in the Delaware area that wants to swing by and take a look?

#2 10 years ago

Did you do the ground mods to EVERYTHING?

You can't really get started until you have done so.

Did you print out this?

http://arcadecontrols.com/files/Manuals/Black%20Hole%20-%20Haunted%20House%20Repair%20Guide.pdf

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did you do the ground mods to EVERYTHING?
You can't really get started until you have done so.
Did you print out this?
http://arcadecontrols.com/files/Manuals/Black%20Hole%20-%20Haunted%20House%20Repair%20Guide.pdf

+1

Another excellent guide here:
http://www.flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html

What amazes me is how many people disregard the mandatory ground updates. They only take an hour or so to do and don't require much more than a little wire and some basic soldering skills.
Do these before putting additional time and money into your game!

#4 10 years ago

With the new Rottendog MPU, Driver Board, and Power Supply do you still need to ground everything?

Just a newbie question...

Thanks.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from GoodManners:

With the new Rottendog MPU, Driver Board, and Power Supply do you still need to ground everything?
Just a newbie question...
Thanks.

Yes, the ground upgrades are ESSENTIAL.

When you have done those, next you check the condition of the Molex pins in the all the connectors. You need to understand that connectors have an insertion life of 25 insertions. That's it - twenty-five! Anything after that is a bonus.

So, replacing pins is a common occurrence in any repair shop or experienced home repair person.

The guides are there for a reason.

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com

#6 10 years ago

Yes. Primary reason is the Gottlieb, unlike Bally and Williams who used the shield inside the head as a common ground plane, decided to use the interconnect cables to provide ground to the logic.

So the ground needed for say solenoid circuits on the driver board,,, comes from the interconnect cable from the MPU. The MPU gets its ground through the cable to the power suppply. And to compound things most of these are simple fingers on modules and not trifurcon style power connections.... P/S->MPU->Driver is the path...

Soooooooooo,,, ANY impedance introduced in the ground path manifests itself in ground current the causes thing like solenoid drivers to be partially turned on constantly. Doing things like slow baking coils, transistors and oh yeah increasing the impedance of the ground connection which causes a run away environment....

Only real way to fix it, hard ground everything back to a common point with real wire.

FWIW, my HH is rock solid. I did all the ground fixes, replaced the big orange cap in the cab (you did that right??), modified the VUK and installed 2.5SB fuses in holder in front of all playfield reset coils.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-still-haunted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.