Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Boltronix
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Upon connecting the 30vdc power to the sound board the 1 amp sb fuse blows on the bottom cabinet. Sound was fine. When i adjusted THE volume pot on bottom cabinet i saw the 1 amp sb fuse cook. I have; replaced all sound board caps, measured ohm's on speakers and pot and all that seems well. I am thinking the output amp on the sound board is bad. I believe that is all the 30vdc is used for? Any comments advice are appreciated as I proceed troubleshooting.

#2 6 years ago

Hi,

Yes the 30 VDC is only used for the amplifier (LM379S).
All others voltages +/- 12vdc are for D/A converters (1408) and pre-amp. (LM741).
The A7 board (speech/sound power supply board) produce the regulated +/- 12 volts for converters, and the +30 volts for the amplifier.

The sound board had receive later some modifications:
On september, 1981, the "On-target newsletter" announce an improvement to provide higher volume level for sound/speech. They remove and replace some discrete components around the LM379S. Nothing very important here (they also improve the stability for the speech generator - but not installed on HH).
But, on july/aug. 1983, as the LM379S was no more produced, Gottlieb replace it by a TDA2002, mounted on a piggy-back. Of course, as the TDA2002 doesn't support the 30 VDC, they also made some modifications on the A7 power board. Only the "high-voltage" section was changed, to reduce the 30 VDC to 18 VDC to be compliant with the TDA2002 specifications.

Finding a LM379S today is very difficult. When the amp is dead, we use solutions based on LM1875 or something similar.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from noflip95:

Hi,
Yes the 30 VDC is only used for the amplifier (LM379S).
All others voltages +/- 12vdc are for D/A converters (1408) and pre-amp. (LM741).
The A7 board (speech/sound power supply board) produce the regulated +/- 12 volts for converters, and the +30 volts for the amplifier.
The sound board had receive later some modifications:
On september, 1981, the "On-target newsletter" announce an improvement to provide higher volume level for sound/speech. They remove and replace some discrete components around the LM379S. Nothing very important here (they also improve the stability for the speech generator - but not installed on HH).
But, on july/aug. 1983, as the LM379S was no more produced, Gottlieb replace it by a TDA2002, mounted on a piggy-back. Of course, as the TDA2002 doesn't support the 30 VDC, they also made some modifications on the A7 power board. Only the "high-voltage" section was changed, to reduce the 30 VDC to 18 VDC to be compliant with the TDA2002 specifications.
Finding a LM379S today is very difficult. When the amp is dead, we use solutions based on LM1875 or something similar.

Impressive knowledge! I know who to contact if my HH ever has issues

#4 6 years ago

Note that the replacement of the rare LM379S has already been discussed here.
An there is a wiki (from @chrishibler) for replacing by a LM1875 :
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Replacing_the_Obsolete_LM379S_Amplifier_with_a_Modern_Amplifier

I know a guy in France that has some LM379S in stock (about 15€ here). But to my mind, the LM1875 is better and more modern.

#5 6 years ago

Homepin made a nice board that took out all the hassle.

Not in stock anymore

https://rocklandpinball.com/product/gottlieb-audio-amp-lm379/

#6 6 years ago

Great input, Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
3,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gettysburg, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Johnston, IA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-sound-board-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.