(Topic ID: 239476)

Haunted House resto - PLUS Multiball and speach!

By SunKing

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ludikris
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Black-Hole-Pinball-Machine9 (resized).jpg
AC4E28D6-E9E5-4716-97FD-41ACE9F1A5A2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7571 (resized).JPG
IMG_7537 (resized).JPG
IMG_7536 (resized).JPG
IMG_7531 (resized).JPG
IMG_7521 (resized).JPG
IMG_7518 (resized).JPG
IMG_7516 (resized).JPG
IMG_7515 (resized).JPG
IMG_7513 (resized).JPG
IMG_7508[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_7511[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_7499 (resized).JPG
IMG_7501 (resized).JPG
IMG_7493 (resized).JPG
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Good morning Pinsiders!

I've started this thread to document my Haunted House restoration, plus the process of modifying it for multi-ball and speech. I'm almost a month into the project now, and have taken a TON of pictures along the way - it's the only sure way to get everything back together correctly. So here's a few to get started... enjoy!
IMG_6470 (resized).JPGIMG_6470 (resized).JPGIMG_6471 (resized).JPGIMG_6471 (resized).JPGIMG_6472 (resized).JPGIMG_6472 (resized).JPGIMG_6473 (resized).JPGIMG_6473 (resized).JPGIMG_6475 (resized).JPGIMG_6475 (resized).JPG

I love seeing the history of these games! Knowing this one was right here in Houston, in the Fun-Time Amusement Center at the Gulfgate Mall - that's super cool~!~! (...to me at least. BTW both Fun Time and the Mall are long gone now)

#2 5 years ago

And the teardown begins. Overall the game is in pretty good condition despite being on route for several years back in the 80's. The underside of all three playfields looks great, and the backglass is near mint. There's the usual wear on the playfield, a couple broken plastics, and of course those terrible gouges on the cabinet.

IMG_6481 (resized).JPGIMG_6481 (resized).JPGIMG_6482 (resized).JPGIMG_6482 (resized).JPGIMG_6483 (resized).JPGIMG_6483 (resized).JPGIMG_6493 (resized).JPGIMG_6493 (resized).JPGIMG_6561 (resized).JPGIMG_6561 (resized).JPGIMG_6563 (resized).JPGIMG_6563 (resized).JPGIMG_6589 (resized).JPGIMG_6589 (resized).JPGIMG_6617 (resized).JPGIMG_6617 (resized).JPG
#3 5 years ago

These are the dreaded pop bumper driver boards located under the playfield. These are 'original' and have not been updated per Gottlieb's recommendation. As such, this will be my first attempt at PCB repair, as opposed to just buying new boards like I usually do. ..more on that later.
IMG_6624 (resized).JPGIMG_6624 (resized).JPG

This should shine up nicely.
IMG_6636 (resized).JPGIMG_6636 (resized).JPG

The upper playfield is on the bench.
IMG_6637 (resized).JPGIMG_6637 (resized).JPG

Metal parts going into the tumbler.
IMG_6809 (resized).JPGIMG_6809 (resized).JPG

#4 5 years ago

Following.

#5 5 years ago

PARTS NEEDED FOR MULTIBALL:

I need to find the following parts in order to begin the conversion to multi-ball. I'd be VERY thankful for any leads or help acquiring them.

1) Multi-ball trough from Gottlieb wide body game such as Mars, Volcano, Black Hole, Devil’s Dare, Spirit, etc.
2) A four relay bracket (from Gottlieb EM perhaps) is needed to replace the 3 relay bracket.

THANKS!!

#6 5 years ago

A few more pics for the lunch crowd.
IMG_6814 (resized).JPGIMG_6814 (resized).JPGIMG_6827 (resized).JPGIMG_6827 (resized).JPGIMG_6867 (resized).JPGIMG_6867 (resized).JPGIMG_6875 (resized).JPGIMG_6875 (resized).JPG

That 50 pin connector was hard to find, took some effort to re-pin, and was a BITCH to get re-seated on the board.

IMG_6877 (resized).JPGIMG_6877 (resized).JPG

Connectors, connectors, connectors!!

Before getting too far into the restoration, I wanted to make sure the game booted and worked (for the most part). Step #1 for me on almost any restoration is to re-pin all the connectors. It's a bit tedious, but for some whacky reason I find it somewhat relaxing in a Zen sort of way. Not pictured is the big 50 pin, dual sided connector it took a while to track down.

#7 5 years ago

When reading up on Haunted House, one thing stood out - you need to make sure the pop bumper driver boards have been updated as recommended by Gottlieb. I checked, and of course, mine aren't. Since they are readily available, pretty cheap, and not very complicated - I took the opportunity to use this as my first attempt at PCB repair. Well...I did try once before...but we won't talk about that.

This time was much better. It helps to have the right tools, and enough experience not to totally screw it up.
IMG_6878 (resized).JPGIMG_6878 (resized).JPGIMG_6901 (resized).JPGIMG_6901 (resized).JPG

Updated board re-installed. ...and yeah, I'll probably end up replacing/re-pinning those IDC connectors as well.

IMG_7190 (resized).JPGIMG_7190 (resized).JPG

#8 5 years ago

As I'm checking all the coils, I find one that's locked up, and a bit toasty. That fuse next to it was blown as well.
IMG_6889 (resized).JPGIMG_6889 (resized).JPGIMG_6896 (resized).JPGIMG_6896 (resized).JPGIMG_6900 (resized).JPGIMG_6900 (resized).JPG

#9 5 years ago

Let's start today with some clean parts! Well - they're not perfect, but it's a good start. I usually give everything another good cleaning before re-populating the playfield.

And just to step back a bit - my plan is to eventually modify this game to include multi-ball and speech. However, I'm taking a measured approach, as I'd hate to devote all this time into a project just to find out there's some other underlying issues. So here's the plan.

1) Initial evaluation of game and documentation of parts needed. COMPLETED
2) Install the new PI-80 board from https://www.flippp.fr/pi80.php. I *highly* recommend these boards - not only for the reliability, but also for the ability to run 'stock' or 'enhanced' with added features. In my case, I'll be adding multi-ball and speech eventually. COMPLETED
3) Re-pin all connectors. COMPLETED
4) Double check all coils, etc (there's a TON of them on Haunted House). COMPLETED
5) Update the pop bumper driver boards as recommended by Gottlieb. COMPLETED
5) Ensure the game boots, and most everything works - flippers, pops, switches, sounds, displays, etc. COMPLETED

Once I knew I had a game that would run, I felt comfortable completely stripping all three playfields for cleaning, touchup and clear-coat. This is where I am in the process now. I've cleaned all the playfields (pictures pending), and will continue to clean/service parts like the drops, pops and flippers while working on the touchups and clear. I'm debating how best to do the touchups, and will most likely invest in an airbrush, as the blown out artwork is more than I feel comfortable doing free-hand.

6) Complete playfield touch-ups and clearcoat.

7) At this point I could (a) work on the changes necessary for multi-ball or (b) re-assemble the game - get it working 100% and THEN go back and do the multi-ball changes. While it may take longer, and I'll be repeating some steps, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the game running 100% before attempting the multi-ball conversion. Worse case, at least I will get to play a few games on it before I screw it up trying to do the multi-ball thing.

...and now some pics...
IMG_6880 (resized).JPGIMG_6880 (resized).JPGIMG_6883 (resized).JPGIMG_6883 (resized).JPGIMG_6885 (resized).JPGIMG_6885 (resized).JPG

#10 5 years ago

The traces lift very easily on the pop bumper driver boards so be careful in de-soldering and re-soldering.

#11 5 years ago

Thanks Ken. Yeah, I'd read about that, and tried to be super careful. When I was done, I also tested continuity with the DMM before re-installing. Thankfully, everything turned out ok - and the pops tested successfully.

...and here's a few more pics...

A super mini rotisserie!
IMG_7067 (resized).JPGIMG_7067 (resized).JPG

Upper playfield before cleaning
IMG_7070 (resized).JPGIMG_7070 (resized).JPG

...and after cleaning with Formula 409 all purpose cleaner and Magic Eraser.
IMG_7077 (resized).JPGIMG_7077 (resized).JPG

#12 5 years ago

And here is the bottom playfield before....

IMG_7100 (resized).JPGIMG_7100 (resized).JPG

IMG_7119 (resized).JPGIMG_7119 (resized).JPG

...and after cleaning. There was a big piece of mylar over the wear spots that when removed, took up even more paint around the 'drop zones'. And it's always touch and go when working with Magic Eraser - you get to the point where you almost have to make a decision between removing ball swirls, and removing paint.
IMG_7118 (resized).JPGIMG_7118 (resized).JPG

#13 5 years ago

After getting the upper and lower playfields cleaned, it's time to move onto the main playfield. Man, there are 14+ coils on the main playfield. It's PACKED under there.

IMG_7167 (resized).JPGIMG_7167 (resized).JPGIMG_7168 (resized).JPGIMG_7168 (resized).JPGIMG_7174 (resized).JPGIMG_7174 (resized).JPG
#14 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

...and after cleaning with WD40 and Magic Eraser.

I've never heard of using WD40 to clean the playfield. What is the benefit of using that vs methods in the playfield restoration thread?

#15 5 years ago

FORMULA 409 !! ...not WD40 - I'm an idiot. Thanks for catching that - would hate to see someone spray WD40 all over their playfield. Jeez - I'll need to go back and edit that.

I used FORMULA 409 !!

I just wanted a decent all purpose cleaner to knock of most of the 'easy' dirt before moving on to the Magic Eraser.

#16 5 years ago

I wasn't aware of the pop bumper updates I don't think. Guess I need to check mine.

#18 5 years ago

Main playfield before....
IMG_7243 (resized).JPGIMG_7243 (resized).JPGIMG_7244 (resized).JPGIMG_7244 (resized).JPGIMG_7245 (resized).JPGIMG_7245 (resized).JPGIMG_7256 (resized).JPGIMG_7256 (resized).JPGIMG_7257 (resized).JPGIMG_7257 (resized).JPG

...and after cleaning.
IMG_7261 (resized).JPGIMG_7261 (resized).JPGIMG_7262 (resized).JPGIMG_7262 (resized).JPGIMG_7267 (resized).JPGIMG_7267 (resized).JPGIMG_7269 (resized).JPGIMG_7269 (resized).JPGIMG_7272 (resized).JPGIMG_7272 (resized).JPG

#19 5 years ago

They do make reproduction playfields for HH.

#20 5 years ago

Ahhh, but that would take all the fun out of it.

So this gets us caught up to where I am now. Over the next few weeks I'm going to clear/touchup the playfields, then reassemble and play for a while before starting to work on the multiball.

#21 5 years ago

An original "Time-Out" Haunted House.....that's so cool. Are you going to keep that sticker on there? Good luck with your resto.

#22 5 years ago

Was just about to ask if you were going to get the Marco's or try to touch it up yourself. I thought about the speech/multi ball mod, but I really don't like the robotic speech with this table. I kind of wish someone would develop a daughter board with updated speech options, but guessing that would be pretty pricey.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Are you going to keep that sticker on there?

Of course! ...and the tax stamps too.

#24 5 years ago

Now that all three playfields have been cleaned, I spent time this weekend starting the touch-ups. First, I laid down a protective coat of clear to lock in the remaining paint. Then, I decided to try the water slide decal route. There's another HH resto thread that posted some images of the worst wear spots - and when printed look like they may work pretty well.

IMG_7286 (resized).JPGIMG_7286 (resized).JPGIMG_7287 (resized).JPGIMG_7287 (resized).JPG

However, I found out that unless you slide them onto a surface that is as white as the paper underneath, they aren't going to work. So do I feel confident that they will look good enough to trust painting the white? ..no... not yet. So I reverted back to my old school 'touch up by hand technique'. Getting the green paint to match was nearly impossible....so I did the best I could. I started on the lower playfield - figuring it's easier to hide stuff that doesn't look perfect down there. I'm reasonably pleased with the results....though I may go back and try to touch up more if needed. Here's the lower playfield as it stands now (pending final coats of clear).

IMG_7291 (resized).JPGIMG_7291 (resized).JPGIMG_7292 (resized).JPGIMG_7292 (resized).JPG

#25 5 years ago

Upper playfield before....
IMG_7077 (resized).JPGIMG_7077 (resized).JPG

...and after paint touchups. The lighting is different between these pics - top is sunshine while bottom isn't.
IMG_7298 (resized).JPGIMG_7298 (resized).JPG

#26 5 years ago

Looking good. The carpet in the last pic looks especially good.

#27 5 years ago

I did multiball and speech on my hh and did an article on Pinball News

#28 5 years ago

Thanks Edward. Hey poibug - do you have a link to that article? I'f be really interested to see it.

#29 5 years ago

Following

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Thanks Edward. Hey poibug - do you have a link to that article? I'f be really interested to see it.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/hauntedhouse/

#31 5 years ago

Great article! Poibug, you are pretty brave to have attempted that mod - pretty much on the fly and without any firm documentation. THANK YOU for working with them (and many thanks to the guys at Flipp as well).

So I was cleaning the pops, and realized I hadn't labeled a couple of them. Can you tell which of the un-labeled pops goes on the upper vs lower playfield? ….it was pretty easy to figure out.

IMG_7300 (resized).JPGIMG_7300 (resized).JPG
#32 5 years ago

I've finished the 1st pass of touchups on the main playfield. I'm ok with the results, but not especially proud. Here's what happened - I tried to touch up those areas blown out by the pop bumpers, but wasn't having much success. I decided - what the hell - just glue down those waterslide decals (without sliding them off). It looked ok, but created a raised spot that, when cleared/sanded removes the ink and exposes the paper. I'll have to go back and try to touch that up on another pass. Sometimes you have to take a few steps forward, a step back, etc...

Here's some pics of just the playfield touchups before they were cleared/sanded.

IMG_7274 (resized).JPGIMG_7274 (resized).JPGIMG_7308 (resized).JPGIMG_7308 (resized).JPGIMG_7280 (resized).JPGIMG_7280 (resized).JPGIMG_7323 (resized).JPGIMG_7323 (resized).JPGIMG_7270 (resized).JPGIMG_7270 (resized).JPGIMG_7317 (resized).JPGIMG_7317 (resized).JPG
#33 5 years ago

After the first round of touchups, I laid down a thick coat of clear on all three playfields, let it dry, and then began sanding. For me, this is where you have to be careful, as it's easy to sand right through the paint. Of course, the goal is to have a playfield that is smooth as glass - so you do sometimes have to sacrifice some art to level things out. Like those decals - they are too raised. This is why I usually have a second round of touchups once everything is reasonably flat.

I suspect that I'll end up laying down and sanding three to four more coats of clear before I finally apply the final one.

IMG_7348 (resized).JPGIMG_7348 (resized).JPGIMG_7350 (resized).JPGIMG_7350 (resized).JPGIMG_7349 (resized).JPGIMG_7349 (resized).JPG
#34 5 years ago

Man... This is really looking amazing. Good job so far. Can't wait to see more. Really, really inspiring me... One thing I didn't know was about the pop bumper boards... I have a Sinbad... And I guess those too might need the fix... I looked at it... Seems a bit complicated for me to do... As I just learned how to solder a month ago and still don't have that much experience. I'm hoping the guy who put the replacement board in my Sinbad will have done this fix. So I'll give them a look-see and see what is what.
Thanks for the info. And again really cool progress so far. Can't wait to read more.

#35 5 years ago

Brad! I want to come over and play this when you are done. Or come over and help you! Great job man.

#36 5 years ago

Nice work. HH is one of the coolest looking pins of all time.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Man... This is really looking amazing. Good job so far. Can't wait to see more. Really, really inspiring me... One thing I didn't know was about the pop bumper boards... I have a Sinbad... And I guess those too might need the fix... I looked at it... Seems a bit complicated for me to do... As I just learned how to solder a month ago and still don't have that much experience. I'm hoping the guy who put the replacement board in my Sinbad will have done this fix. So I'll give them a look-see and see what is what.
Thanks for the info. And again really cool progress so far. Can't wait to read more.

Sinbad doesn't use the pop bumper boards, therefore no modification necessary for them.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Sinbad doesn't use the pop bumper boards, therefore no modification necessary for them.

Sweet. I couldn't recall if I saw them when I opened up my playfield the last time, but then again I wasn't looking for them. So thank you. That is a load off...

Going forward if I'm purchasing an older game that would have these... What is the likely hood that this fix would have been applied.
Was it quite common? Or is it something that most people neglected to do?
Just curious.
As I think most pinheads would love a HH in their collection eventually as its just such a looker and unique pinball layout.

#39 5 years ago

Hi. Very good work so far. I have a doubt... how are you going to do the multiball? Are you changing the plunger to automatic?

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from blackphoenixpt:

how are you going to do the multiball?

First, it requires the new PI-80 board from Pascal found here: https://www.flippp.fr/index.php

Then, you have several hardware changes to make like adding a multi-ball capable ball trough, adding additional relays, coils and switches.

Here's a link to the PDF outlining the changes: https://www.flippp.fr/media/pdf/HAUNTED_HOUSE_MULTIBALL%20v1.0g%20ENG.pdf

#41 5 years ago

Sanding....and more sanding. You can really see the low spots now. I am going to try and fill those with clear using a dropper (pipette).

IMG_7357 (resized).JPGIMG_7357 (resized).JPGIMG_7358 (resized).JPGIMG_7358 (resized).JPGIMG_7361 (resized).JPGIMG_7361 (resized).JPGIMG_7362 (resized).JPGIMG_7362 (resized).JPGIMG_7366 (resized).JPGIMG_7366 (resized).JPG
#42 5 years ago

...and damn - applying those decals the way I did was a stupid mistake. No doubt it's going to be more work now than it would have been if I just would've had the patience to touch up correctly the first time. Thankfully most of it will be hidden by the pop bumper anyway... and f*ck it, worse case scenario is I totally screw it up and end up spending $1,000 for the repo playfields...

...nahhh - I can do it!

IMG_7365 (resized).JPGIMG_7365 (resized).JPG
#43 5 years ago

I've filled all the low spots with clear, let that dry, and then laid down another coat. Once dried, this should sand completely flat, or at least show the last spots that need attention. That picture with the reflection of the rug encourages me to keep going.
IMG_7369 (resized).JPGIMG_7369 (resized).JPGIMG_7371 (resized).JPGIMG_7371 (resized).JPGIMG_7375 (resized).JPGIMG_7375 (resized).JPGIMG_7380 (resized).JPGIMG_7380 (resized).JPGIMG_7382 (resized).JPGIMG_7382 (resized).JPG

#44 5 years ago

ALLRIGHT! I'm calling it DONE on the two smaller playfields. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

IMG_7409 (resized).JPGIMG_7409 (resized).JPGIMG_7411 (resized).JPGIMG_7411 (resized).JPG
#45 5 years ago

Here's a before / after comparison.

IMG_7100 (resized).JPGIMG_7100 (resized).JPGIMG_7408 (resized).JPGIMG_7408 (resized).JPGIMG_7069 (resized).JPGIMG_7069 (resized).JPGIMG_7415 (resized).JPGIMG_7415 (resized).JPG
#46 5 years ago

Awesome work! This has been a fun project to follow so far, I look forward to seeing more.

#47 5 years ago

I'm ready to be done with touchup/clear. Eventually you get the point of diminishing returns. It's far from perfect, but for me it's good enough not to spend over a grand for the new playfields. UP NEXT - the rebuild (and mechanical refurb).
IMG_7422 (resized).JPGIMG_7422 (resized).JPGIMG_7426 (resized).JPGIMG_7426 (resized).JPGIMG_7428 (resized).JPGIMG_7428 (resized).JPGIMG_7431 (resized).JPGIMG_7431 (resized).JPGIMG_7433 (resized).JPGIMG_7433 (resized).JPG

#48 5 years ago

Wow! This is beautiful!

I have had 3 haunted houses...this makes me want to get it again!

#49 5 years ago

Before / after...

IMG_7242 (resized).JPGIMG_7242 (resized).JPGIMG_7433 (resized).JPGIMG_7433 (resized).JPG
#50 5 years ago

IMG_7270 (resized).JPGIMG_7270 (resized).JPGIMG_7445 (resized).JPGIMG_7445 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-resto-plus-multiball-and-speach?hl=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.