Let's start today with some clean parts! Well - they're not perfect, but it's a good start. I usually give everything another good cleaning before re-populating the playfield.
And just to step back a bit - my plan is to eventually modify this game to include multi-ball and speech. However, I'm taking a measured approach, as I'd hate to devote all this time into a project just to find out there's some other underlying issues. So here's the plan.
1) Initial evaluation of game and documentation of parts needed. COMPLETED
2) Install the new PI-80 board from https://www.flippp.fr/pi80.php. I *highly* recommend these boards - not only for the reliability, but also for the ability to run 'stock' or 'enhanced' with added features. In my case, I'll be adding multi-ball and speech eventually. COMPLETED
3) Re-pin all connectors. COMPLETED
4) Double check all coils, etc (there's a TON of them on Haunted House). COMPLETED
5) Update the pop bumper driver boards as recommended by Gottlieb. COMPLETED
5) Ensure the game boots, and most everything works - flippers, pops, switches, sounds, displays, etc. COMPLETED
Once I knew I had a game that would run, I felt comfortable completely stripping all three playfields for cleaning, touchup and clear-coat. This is where I am in the process now. I've cleaned all the playfields (pictures pending), and will continue to clean/service parts like the drops, pops and flippers while working on the touchups and clear. I'm debating how best to do the touchups, and will most likely invest in an airbrush, as the blown out artwork is more than I feel comfortable doing free-hand.
6) Complete playfield touch-ups and clearcoat.
7) At this point I could (a) work on the changes necessary for multi-ball or (b) re-assemble the game - get it working 100% and THEN go back and do the multi-ball changes. While it may take longer, and I'll be repeating some steps, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the game running 100% before attempting the multi-ball conversion. Worse case, at least I will get to play a few games on it before I screw it up trying to do the multi-ball thing.
...and now some pics...
IMG_6880 (resized).JPGIMG_6883 (resized).JPGIMG_6885 (resized).JPG