• Latest reply 2 years ago by OzPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

872882DB-E0A8-47B3-A2D2-83E512C4C5E0 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hello, I am working on my Haunted House. I have several new parts installed including all new pop bumper boards, mpu, and power supply board. My pop bumpers keep getting locked on and popping the fuse. I have installed all new pop bumper boards and replaced the diodes on the coils but it is still causing the same issues. Are there transistors for the pop bumpers on the driver board as well or are they only fired by their individual pop bumper boards?

#2 2 years ago

Are they ALL locking on? By themselves? Or only when they are scored?

The pop board itself is supposed to handle the firing of the pulse to the pop bumper coil when the bumper's switch closes.

#3 2 years ago

Check that your bumper spoon (trigger) switches are adjusted properly. Switches normally open, closing only when ball contacts bumper skirt.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Check that your bumper spoon (trigger) switches are adjusted properly. Switches normally open, closing only when ball contacts bumper skirt.

The spoons switches are good I checked those

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

The pop board itself is supposed to handle the firing of the pulse to the pop bumper coil when the bumper's switch closes.

They are all locking on by themselves as soon as a game starts

#6 2 years ago

Original post: There is a Gottlieb service bulletin to add 4.7K pull up resistors to the PBDB circuit.
Have you done this?

Oops. The service bulletin I mentioned is for the under playfield transistors and not the PBDB. My mistake. Ignore that advice.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#7 2 years ago

==There is a Gottlieb service bulletin to add 4.7K pull up resistors to the PBDB circuit.
Have you done this?==

He put in all new pop boards. Maybe they aren't getting 5v, or there's a bad ground connection to the pop boards?

#8 2 years ago

Are they new reproduction boards? Or are they rebuilt/tested original boards?

The coils can lock on if the +5 volts is not getting to the pop bumper driver boards. If your boards are reproductions, does the +5 volts LED on it light up?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

==There is a Gottlieb service bulletin to add 4.7K pull up resistors to the PBDB circuit.
Have you done this?==
He put in all new pop boards. Maybe they aren't getting 5v, or there's a bad ground connection to the pop boards?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Are they new reproduction boards? Or are they rebuilt/tested original boards?
The coils can lock on if the +5 volts is not getting to the pop bumper driver boards. If your boards are reproductions, does the +5 volts LED on it light up?

some of the pins on the connector do give out 5v but the 5v led isn’t coming on

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Smbel92:

some of the pins on the connector do give out 5v but the 5v led isn’t coming on

Measure +5v using the ground wire in the PBDB connector. If you get no reading, but 5v is good if you use another ground, the ground wire is the likely problem then. Ground mods done? Without looking at the wiring diagram the PBDB ground return probably terminates on the ground block in the cabinet.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Measure +5v using the ground wire in the PBDB connector. If you get no reading, but 5v is good if you use another ground, the ground wire is the likely problem then. Ground mods done? Without looking at the wiring diagram the PBDB ground return probably terminates on the ground block in the cabinet.

So I measured and they are getting 5v at the PBDB connector but the 5v light isn’t coming on
This is the case with all 4 pbdb

My buddy has a black hole that I tested the PBDB on and the 5v led came on when it was plugged into his machine.

#13 2 years ago

The +5v and ground for the pop bumper boards come from connector A1J6 on the Haunted House cpu board.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

The +5v and ground for the pop bumper boards come from connector A1J6 on the Haunted House cpu board.

I reseated A1J6 and now I have 5v leds on all PBDB
Thank you!

#15 2 years ago

So my issue now is I have two of my pop bumpers (lower play field and lower left) locking on and blowing fuses. the only one acting correct is upper playfield.

For the pop bumpers, are there transistors on the driver board as well as the PBDBs or are they powered only from the PBDB.

#16 2 years ago

I wrote an article on pinwiki for adding LEDs to the popbumper boards to show proper voltages/missing voltages. Might be worth a shot for diagnosing the issue.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Pop_Bumper_Driver_Board_LED

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Smbel92:

So my issue now is I have two of my pop bumpers (lower play field and lower left) locking on and blowing fuses. the only one acting correct is upper playfield.
For the pop bumpers, are there transistors on the driver board as well as the PBDBs or are they powered only from the PBDB.

They are only powered by the PBDBs, no transistors on the driver board involved.
Here’s the schematics

872882DB-E0A8-47B3-A2D2-83E512C4C5E0 (resized).jpeg872882DB-E0A8-47B3-A2D2-83E512C4C5E0 (resized).jpeg

#18 2 years ago

Check both the DC ground and the ground bus.

#20 2 years ago

Quoted from frenchmarky:

Here's including the two pops on the bottom playfield, try reseating the connectors down there too.[quoted image]

Aren’t these the schematics for the Black Hole?

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Mach1:

Aren’t these the schematics for the Black Hole?

oops, deleted.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Mach1:

I took voltages using the ground and the ground buss and the PBDB that is working is reading the same voltage as the PBDBs that are locking on and blowing fuses.

#23 2 years ago

I’m going to try swapping diodes and see what that does

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Smbel92:

I’m going to try swapping diodes and see what that does

Changing the diode did nothing
I still only have one pop bumper that works
The rest blow fuses as soon as they try to fire.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

So they are not all locking on as soon as the game boots they are blowing fuses when scored and not firing at all

One of the pop bumpers functions as it should

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Smbel92:

So they are not all locking on as soon as the game boots they are blowing fuses when scored and not firing at all
One of the pop bumpers functions as it should

Swap the pop bumper boards. Does the problem travel? Did you try a new coil?

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Swap the pop bumper boards. Does the problem travel? Did you try a new coil?

I swapped the boards and the problem does not travel with the board. Tried a new coil and it’s not a faulty coil

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Smbel92:

I swapped the boards and the problem does not travel with the board I also tried a new coil and it’s not the coil

#29 2 years ago

Weird one. It was my understanding that everything that operates the pop bumper is on that board. You’re certain it’s wired properly?

#30 2 years ago

I had a similar issue with my Haunted House.
I borrowed a couple of (working fine) Homepin reproduction pop bumper boards from my System 80 Volcano machine, when getting Haunted House up and running.
Same thing as you, when switching on, pop bumpers would lock on. I quickly switched off.
I repaired and modified the original pop bumper boards, put them back in and all good now.
Put the Homepin ones back in Volcano and no problem either. Really weird

Do you still have the original pop bumper boards?

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Smbel92:

I took voltages using the ground and the ground buss and the PBDB that is working is reading the same voltage as the PBDBs that are locking on and blowing fuses.

Check connectivity on the wires, buss each wire from the pop bumper board to where it leads.
There is a point where all the DC ground are joined together on the main playfield.

Since the problem is still there when you change the board the problem is not at the board but in the wires or pop bumper switch.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

I borrowed a couple of (working fine) Homepin reproduction pop bumper boards from my System 80 Volcano machine, when getting Haunted House up and running.
Same thing as you, when switching on, pop bumpers would lock on. I quickly switched off.
I repaired and modified the original pop bumper boards, put them back in and all good now.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"13f1f3d9831166f06fd24734ccb44741d128ec7d-1632836489-1800"};
//]]>

I’ll dig them out yea I think I still have them. That sure is weird but I’ll try them out

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"6f860cb961ed2e94bb61cf370cea8ad02d620058-1632855032-1800"};
//]]>

Solved

This was the issue
I put the old PBDB in and it’s working just fine, no more blown fuses.
For some reason the swemmer electronics PBDB don’t work on haunted house but the do work on black hole. Thank you for your help

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Smbel92:

For some reason the swemmer electronics PBDB don’t work on haunted house but the do work on black hole.

Odd. I can't see how this could be.
The circuit and wiring is identical.
Not doubting your results, but surely odd.
--

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Odd. I can't see how this could be.
The circuit and wiring is identical.
Not doubting your results, but surely odd.
--

I was doing plenty of this trying to figure it out at the time. Odd thing is, I had a couple of the rottendog ones and they work fine in Haunted House.

Only reason I bought Homepin ones is because my Volcano had all pop boards missing and like I said, they work fine in Volcano.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-pop-bumper-problems-not-pop-bumper-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.