Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TomGWI
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    1127181319 (resized).jpg
    1127181319c (resized).jpg
    1127181319a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Stupid question. What do you line up the flipper bats to? I like this except the lower left one.
    [quoted image]

that lower left flipper looks a little low. I would adjust it to line up with the ball guide using something straight

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

that lower left flipper looks a little low. I would adjust it to line up with the ball guide using something straight

Having worked on mostly W/B games over the years, that's how I've always done it. Doing that here, seems odd. If you do that to the left one, the right also has to be the same. You also have to raise the upper left one to somewhat line up with the lower. That makes them all appear too high.

I ended up splitting the difference, which is what the game had originally, after looking at my teardown pics. If the owner doesn't like it, I can certainly adjust them.

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I heard back from BAA on the Spider Web plastic. They want a pic. Stupid of me not to send one initially. I honestly didn't send one on purpose. I wanted to see if they trusted what I said about the quality. They obviously didn't.

They got back to me last night and said they've not had this issue before. They said they'd try and find a good one.

#204 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Having worked on mostly W/B games over the years, that's how I've always done it. Doing that here, seems odd. If you do that to the left one, the right also has to be the same. You also have to raise the upper left one to somewhat line up with the lower. That makes them all appear too high.
    I ended up splitting the difference, which is what the game had originally, after looking at my teardown pics. If the owner doesn't like it, I can certainly adjust them.

All the pics I've seen show the upper left parallel with the guide, and then line the bottom left to match the angle of the upper left. Then match the lower right to the lower left. The upper right, always seems to do it's own thing - angled more down.

#205 5 years ago

Got everything hooked up and all seems to be working fine...except I blow F15. That's for main outhole, top hole and lower playfield hole and the 4 target bank.

I'll do some isolating when Gramma gets home. For now, Gramps is watching a 3 year old grandson who isn't feeling well.

#206 5 years ago

I new it! SOB... I want my game back, that's my fbombing game (lol, add long rant here)!!! Yep, he traded me a very nice regular TAF and I kicked in 200 bucks and did the chasing. He had a TAF gold at the time and didn't need 2, I think he said you had reconditioned it also. He invited me to a pin party at his place but I couldn't make it. He had a murders row of WPC games. My name is Tim, Scandia Pinball when we met it was very brief. Your friend is a great guy, with a very nice wife that likes pinball (some guys get everything). I even put an add on CL once asking him to sell me that back. Long scratch on the left side, otherwise the cabinet was pretty good. It has a repop PBDB for the VUK now I see. We didn't have them back in the old days we had to add a cap across a couple pins to keep a regular one from going off to much. I used to screw the old relay system somewhere near there in case somebody looses there mind and wanted to put it back original. After your done I wonder what it would be worth, say it was yours and you put it up for sale, what would you ask? Don't answer that if ya' don't want to. Would really like to see it again when your done. Tell Mr. Simpson, maybe he will throw another party.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mombo-number-5:

I new it! SOB... I want my game back, that's my fbombing game (lol, add long rant here)!!! Yep, he traded me a very nice regular TAF and I kicked in 200 bucks and did the chasing. He had a TAF gold at the time and didn't need 2, I think he said you had reconditioned it also. He invited me to a pin party at his place but I couldn't make it. He had a murders row of WPC games. My name is Tim, Scandia Pinball when we met it was very brief. Your friend is a great guy, with a very nice wife that likes pinball (some guys get everything). I even put an add on CL once asking him to sell me that back. Long scratch on the left side, otherwise the cabinet was pretty good. It has a repop PBDB for the VUK now I see. We didn't have them back in the old days we had to add a cap across a couple pins to keep a regular one from going off to much. I used to screw the old relay system somewhere near there in case somebody looses there mind and wanted to put it back original. After your done I wonder what it would be worth, say it was yours and you put it up for sale, what would you ask? Don't answer that if ya' don't want to. Would really like to see it again when your done. Tell Mr. Simpson, maybe he will throw another party.

Long scratch on the left side...this would be the one! I have no idea what something like this is worth. I don't deal enough with this era game. I will say, I highly doubt Ross would sell it. He has the most diversified collection of all my friends, and most are in incredible condition. And this one just got a little nicer.

#208 5 years ago

This seems to be my issue. Reversed the leads on the outhole kicker. DOH!!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #209 5 years ago

I was lucky and ran into a friend at the gym who confirmed that the diode probably shorted when I reversed the leads. New diode, hooked back up and I should be good to go.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #210 5 years ago

What a beast. I'm almost positive this pin weighs more than TZ & STTNG. Maybe heaviest pin ever besides Hercules.

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

What a beast. I'm almost positive this pin weighs more than TZ & STTNG. Maybe heaviest pin ever besides Hercules.

It's good news, bad news. Bad news is, it's f'ing heavy! Good news is, because of that, we removed the head to transport it. The head and cabinet separate are pretty easy to move individually.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I was lucky and ran into a friend at the gym who confirmed that the diode probably shorted when I reversed the leads. New diode, hooked back up and I should be good to go.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Well, I'm making headway. The fuse no longer blows. However, when I activate the outhole switch, the kicker does not operate, but the two target bank reset coils do. The target bank reset coils are normal as they reset when the ball drains.

Now to figure out the kicker coil. Fried transistor by chance? I need to look into the diagnostics on this type game. Sadly, I know nothing.

#213 5 years ago

Ross ay'? Thought it was Craig. Doesn't change things, I still want my GD game back! One I had went to Denver the other is somewhere in Idaho I think. Seriously, please tell him I would sure like to see it again someday. And, yeah, Greg has them. He said he bought them all at auction in Chicago. How bad could they be? Just curious, was the HH still working when you got it in to restore?

#214 5 years ago

Just curious, was the HH still working when you got it in to restore?

Not sure, although Ross said it worked fine. We had to remove the head to move it to my place and I didn't hook everything back to play test before tear down, like I normally do.

FWIW, this is not a full restoration. Just a playfield swap. So the long scratch on the left side is still there.

#215 5 years ago

Looks like I fried the kicker transistor. The coil locks on when I turn power on. I've got a friend with a stash of electronic parts. I'll check and see if he has a replacement.

In the meantime, I'll disconnect the coil and make sure everything else is good.

#216 5 years ago

Not in my contract but I cut new clear windows for the score cards.

#217 5 years ago

Did you use the original window or a repro? How well does it fit with the repro pf?

#218 5 years ago

I hate that about system 80's. I do the driver board update on pinwiki. That eliminates the thunk/thwack you hear when you turn the game on, leaving me breathing easier. I'd be glad to do it for him if he wants to pay the post both ways. Quick turn around on something like that.

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Did you use the original window or a repro? How well does it fit with the repro pf?

The original was pretty bad. I used a repro that Ross had but I'm not sure where it came from. It fit perfectly.

#220 5 years ago

I hate that about system 80's. I do the driver board update on pinwiki. That eliminates the thunk/thwack you hear when you turn the game on, leaving me breathing easier. I'd be glad to do it for him if he wants to pay the post both ways. Quick turn around on something like that.

I'm not sure what the update involves and whether it's been done or not. I get no thwacks when I turn the game on...except for the outhole coil. Seems all I need to do is replace the driver for that and I should be good.

#221 5 years ago

I suppose he might have a new RD CPU or driver board. Either eliminate the dreaded thwack, but cost more than 60 cents.

#222 5 years ago

Update on the spider web plastic. It appears I received one of a new batch from BAA. Turns out they're all bad. I'll try the one from PBR.

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Not sure, although Ross said it worked fine. We had to remove the head to move it to my place and I didn't hook everything back to play test before tear down, like I normally do.
    FWIW, this is not a full restoration. Just a playfield swap. So the long scratch on the left side is still there.

I got it with the long scratch, tell me the dopes moving it didn't know they were scratching it when that happened. I remember it not looking like a vandalism thing. Ross was just starting to add different era games to his line up at that time. Last time I saw him he was buying a Centaur from Gary Southward and asked me which EM Big Al had at the time would be best to buy. I think Al had a Rack -a- ball or something I recommended, whatever it was had backbox animation. I wish I would have been selling my KoD at the time, it was a cherry one and would have been great in his collection. I like the early speech on the system 80's that have that, it's hilarious. But I'm also the guy who doesn't rebuild William's chime units in the em's, the trashy cowbell clanking sound is funny. I started to follow this post late, I see your swapping playfields. That is going to make this game outstanding. The backglass was 100% when I had it. Everything else worked great, but I didn't do the grounding mods back then.

#224 5 years ago

Transistor changed and everything seems to work like a charm. I still need to play a few more test games.

Last thing I need to do is ream the holes in the window just a tad. Some of the screws don’t sit quite flush enough.

#225 5 years ago

I’ll test each one with a plastic ruler.

#226 5 years ago

That should be it. I’ll double check things in the morning but I think I’m done.

For now, I’ve got an emergency Foot order that needs to go out.

#227 5 years ago

Thanks for documenting this, it has been a very enjoyable thread to follow. Your work is excellent, and the new playfield looks fantastic. Well done!

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Thanks for documenting this, it has been a very enjoyable thread to follow. Your work is excellent, and the new playfield looks fantastic. Well done!

Thank you!

I was very happy with Mirco's playfields. I LOVE the dimples on the topside. They're more like small craters. Because of the size, very little predrilling is needed and their location was spot on. I don't think I had an issue with any of them. That's a good thing because they would be tough to adjust because of their size.

The dimples on the bottom side are more like what you would expect...a small dimple. I'd say 99% of them were there and the ones missing, were simple to figure out. Only a handful had to be adjusted. The sling switches weren't quite square with the sling rubbers and there were a few for the various coil mechs that had to be moved slightly. Nothing earth shattering and all were easily done.

I'm used to doing WPC playfield swaps. This took about as much time. There's less on the playfield...there just happens to be 3 of them with this game.

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'm used to doing WPC playfield swaps. This took about as much time. There's less on the playfield...there just happens to be 3 of them with this game.

This game looks like such a beast, but after you tore it apart you made it look somewhat easy. You are a Master of restoration Bryan!

#230 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

A name might help me remember. I'm sure you didn't introduce yourself as Mombo-number-5. My buddy told me where he bought this from, but I forget. I do remember it involved a trade for a TAF.
    If the first name of the guy Lloyd knows is Greg, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. That's a shame. It sounds like something my buddy would do once he gets the game back.

That’s the same Greg that has been looking for T2 parts for me for 3 years in the warehouse

#231 5 years ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

That’s the same Greg that has been looking for T2 parts for me for 3 years in the warehouse

He related to me that his health was not good enough to go through his storage places/warehouse at this time. He would only be there to watch and price anything I wanted. He was not very optimistic about getting well enough to take care of this ever. Sorry to say it certainly sounds like a lot of pinball machines and parts will not see the light of day for quite some time.

#232 5 years ago

I too am tearing into one of these for a customer and I instinctively ordered the spider plastic from PBR and it was perfect.

#233 5 years ago

He related to me that his health was not good enough to go through his storage places/warehouse at this time. He would only be there to watch and price anything I wanted. He was not very optimistic about getting well enough to take care of this ever. Sorry to say it certainly sounds like a lot of pinball machines and parts will not see the light of day for quite some time.

That’s a shame

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Thank you!
    I was very happy with Mirco's playfields. I LOVE the dimples on the topside. They're more like small craters. Because of the size, very little predrilling is needed and their location was spot on. I don't think I had an issue with any of them. That's a good thing because they would be tough to adjust because of their size.
    The dimples on the bottom side are more like what you would expect...a small dimple. I'd say 99% of them were there and the ones missing, were simple to figure out. Only a handful had to be adjusted. The sling switches weren't quite square with the sling rubbers and there were a few for the various coil mechs that had to be moved slightly. Nothing earth shattering and all were easily done.

I did my first Mirco swap on BSD and it was great. Playfield was perfect, dimples and holes were perfect. Made the swap a breeze compared to others I have done.
    Thanks for posting the work Bryan.

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-playfield-swap/page/5?hl=mombo-number-5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.