6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by TomGWI
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 167 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    1127181319 (resized).jpg
    1127181319c (resized).jpg
    1127181319a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 6 months ago

Mylar on the upper playfield is pretty easy to figure out.

image (resized).jpg
    #152 6 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I can not lie. All the star posts are on and I have 2 longer ones I have no idea where they go. Of course I didn’t notice them when they were take off. I’ll find out where they go at some point. If anyone happens to know where these go, please let me know.
    [quoted image]

Here is a map to all the posts:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only/page/28#post-3882494

#153 6 months ago

Upper playfield is done. These plastics aren’t perfect but they’re damn nice. I’ll be talking to the owner tonight and see if he wants to splurge on a new set.

image (resized).jpg

#155 6 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Thanks, but that's Black Hole, not Haunted House.

LOL, never drink drive and post....

#156 6 months ago

Thanks for documenting this Bryan!
    I'm a playfield swap rookie and watching a "seasoned pro" (no offense... ) easily march through one is very satisfying.

Do you ever swap out original leaf switches with Cherry switches? I know you've already said you like to keep things original. Just curious.

#157 6 months ago

Bottom of the main is next.

image (resized).jpg
    #158 6 months ago
    Quoted from cletus:

Thanks for documenting this Bryan!
    I'm a playfield swap rookie and watching a "seasoned pro" (no offense... ) easily march through one is very satisfying.
    Do you ever swap out original leaf switches with Cherry switches? I know you've already said you like to keep things original. Just curious.

I've never done a game of this era and the leaf switches are in such good condition, I'll be leaving things just like they are.

#160 6 months ago

I notice you have a washer on top of some star posts and not others, was the game originally like this? What's the reason for the washer on top of some of the posts?

#161 6 months ago

Very interesting reading and following your swap, thank you for taking the time to document the process. It’s like watching a home renovation show and everything is done in less than an hour lol.

#162 6 months ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

I notice you have a washer on top of some star posts and not others, was the game originally like this? What's the reason for the washer on top of some of the posts?

I honestly don't know how it's supposed to be. The way you see it is the way it came to me. I liked the look so I kept it.

#163 6 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I can not lie. All the star posts are on and I have 2 longer ones I have no idea where they go. Of course I didn’t notice them when they were take off. I’ll find out where they go at some point. If anyone happens to know where these go, please let me know.
    [quoted image]

I don't see any of those taller (1-3/16") posts listed in the manual for any of the playfields.

#164 6 months ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

I don't see any of those taller (1-3/16") posts listed in the manual for any of the playfields.

Well then, maybe my ass has been saved.

#165 6 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

[quoted image]

Taller posts go where there is a plastic lane guide on top with a bulb and a switch underneath.

Jim

PS Don't forget to inspect the EOS switch blades which get contacted by the flipper pawl. Since the pawl has a point, it wears there. You can just purchase this individual blade from PBR, if need be.

#166 6 months ago

Harness is installed. I’ve got a few switches that won’t get installed until the coil mechs are mounted.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #167 6 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Well then, maybe my ass has been saved.

Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Taller posts go where there is a plastic lane guide on top with a bulb and a switch underneath.
    Jim
    PS Don't forget to inspect the EOS switch blades which get contacted by the flipper pawl. Since the pawl has a point, it wears there. You can just purchase this individual blade from PBR, if need be.

Are you referring to the ghost ones? They are white, not clear. I looked and I cannot find any taller posts. They are all the stubby ones - except for the 2 white ghosts (with the lights).

#168 6 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Are you referring to the ghost ones? They are white, not clear. I looked and I cannot find any taller posts. They are all the stubby ones - except for the 2 white ghosts (with the lights).

I'm not referring to anything specific on Haunted House. My statement was just a general rule of thumb for all Gottlieb games. Manual does not show any tall posts, as someone had already mentioned.

One last thing is that Gottlieb used playfield posts as standoffs for the wiring harness in rare occasions.

The only place that I could remotely think of where the tall post would go is next to the scoop on the main PF that goes to the cellar. The plastic that goes over the scoop is split, and taller posts would put less stress on this plastic. Not certain if this is correct or not - just spit balling.

Jim

#169 6 months ago

Then it’s a simple matter of mounting each mech, soldering the wires and neatening things up.

image (resized).jpg
    #170 6 months ago

Flippers done.

image (resized).jpg
    #171 6 months ago

That’s it for today. I’ll come back tomorrow morning and go over everything. There’s bound to be something I forgot.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #172 6 months ago

Forgot the documentation.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #173 6 months ago

The two taller posts are discussed here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-club-the-beautiful-beast-all-welcome/page/4#post-3014233

One to take pressure of the plastic and the other to raise the gate rubbing the ball guide near the 'Welcome' exit.

My CPR webb cover had the same issue. I guessing all stock had this issue if you leave the protective film on for to long

I ending up just cleaning the original.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-club-the-beautiful-beast-all-welcome/page/10#post-4150926

#174 6 months ago

Pop bumper driver board modifications are mandatory
    Keep up the nice work !!!

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Pop_bumper_problems

#175 6 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

There’s bound to be something I forgot.

Wonder if this happens a lot

#176 6 months ago
    Quoted from OzPaul:

My CPR webb cover had the same issue. I guessing all stock had this issue if you leave the protective film on for too long

that sounds about right. I purchased a set of the BoP faces and they all had issues with the protective paper as well. even though its supposed to be a "low tack", it sticks to everything

3M's blue painters tape will do the same thing if its left on something long enough

#177 6 months ago

You know you want to straighten F-10.
    Just do it.
    Beautiful work.

#178 6 months ago

Looking beautiful. I'd try to talk the owner into going LEDs. They work great on system 80 games with no mods needed. No ghosting or flicker at all using the cheapest LED bulbs. Went cool white on my Black Hole and it just looks great. Also will protect those brand new playfields from unnecessary heat.

#179 6 months ago

I think it would look better on a space theme than this theme. Don't ruin a great look.

The 'unnecessary heat' is FUD for home use games that are probably on less than 24 hours a month.

#180 6 months ago
    Quoted from treborlicec:

Looking beautiful. I'd try to talk the owner into going LEDs. They work great on system 80 games with no mods needed. No ghosting or flicker at all using the cheapest LED bulbs. Went cool white on my Black Hole and it just looks great. Also will protect those brand new playfields from unnecessary heat.

HH looks way better with incandescent or incandescent looking LED, ESPECIALLY in the GI. The colors are red, yellow, orange...how can you go any other way?

#181 6 months ago

I'm simply suggesting LEDs. Not that he uses cool white in HH.

#182 6 months ago
    Quoted from treborlicec:

I'm simply suggesting LEDs. Not that he uses cool white in HH.

You can suggest things and still be wrong.

#183 5 months ago

I heard back from BAA on the Spider Web plastic. They want a pic. Stupid of me not to send one initially. I honestly didn't send one on purpose. I wanted to see if they trusted what I said about the quality. They obviously didn't.

#184 5 months ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

You know you want to straighten F-10.
    Just do it.
    Beautiful work.

Happy, asshole?

image (resized).jpg
    #185 5 months ago
    Quoted from thierryv:

Pop bumper driver board modifications are mandatory
    Keep up the nice work !!!
    http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Pop_bumper_problems

Checking the boards, the mods have been done.

#186 5 months ago
    Quoted from OzPaul:

The two taller posts are discussed here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-club-the-beautiful-beast-all-welcome/page/4#post-3014233
    One to take pressure of the plastic and the other to raise the gate rubbing the ball guide near the 'Welcome' exit.
    My CPR webb cover had the same issue. I guessing all stock had this issue if you leave the protective film on for to long
    I ending up just cleaning the original.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-club-the-beautiful-beast-all-welcome/page/10#post-4150926

After taking a closer look at my pics, this is exactly where they were.

Thanks!

#187 5 months ago

I would have straightened it too, looks much better. And now you can go on living life

#188 5 months ago

Time for lower playfield Mylar. The owner and I decided to make the piece as cemetrical as possible to cover the 4 drop spots. I tried to cut it on artwork lines so it isn’t as obvious.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #189 5 months ago

Stupid question. What do you line up the flipper bats to? I like this except the lower left one.

image (resized).jpg
    #190 5 months ago

Main playfield is in.

image (resized).jpg
    #191 5 months ago

Here are how mine are set

1127181319 (resized).jpg1127181319c (resized).jpg1127181319a (resized).jpg
    #192 5 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Here are how mine are set[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think you're closer than me. It seems most pics I've looked at, the lower ones aren't quite lined up with the wire bars behind them. They're up a tad, like yours.

#193 5 months ago

You sound like my wife.

#194 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The owner and I decided to make the piece as cemetrical as possible

Symmetrical + cemetery = cemetrical

That’s a genius portmanteau my friend!

#195 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think you're closer than me. It seems most pics I've looked at, the lower ones aren't quite lined up with the wire bars behind them. They're up a tad, like yours.

I roll a ball down it and adjust till it seems right. I realize that’s probably not helpful.

#196 5 months ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Symmetrical + cemetery = cemetrical
    That’s a genius portmanteau my friend!

Yeah, I knew that did t look right. Asshole!!

#197 5 months ago

Hi Bryan, I met you a while back at Big Al's. I wonder if this is one of the three I had at one time. I always did the VUK modification, and the (before) touch up on the lower PF looks very familiar. Is this game ever going to be somewhere a local yokal could see it, and maybe play just one game on it? I am a big HH fan. I still want to get one of those and do the Pascal Janin multi-ball speech thing. They are few and far between these days. A guy Lloyd knows says he has 3 in storage but they are packed in so no one can get them out without 3 or 4 guys and all afternoon to do it. I don't have the wheels anymore for something like that. Great pics!

#198 5 months ago

I thought about doing the multiball mod but honestly I cannot stand the robotic voice on this machine. I think they need to do an upgrade to it using some theme specific vocals. I'm sure it would be possible with external additions - but probably pricey.

#199 5 months ago

Main playfield fired up. I’ll test all switches before I plug in the lower and install the upper.

image (resized).jpg
    #200 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mombo-number-5:

Hi Bryan, I met you a while back at Big Al's. I wonder if this is one of the three I had at one time. I always did the VUK modification, and the (before) touch up on the lower PF looks very familiar. Is this game ever going to be somewhere a local yokal could see it, and maybe play just one game on it? I am a big HH fan. I still want to get one of those and do the Pascal Janin multi-ball speech thing. They are few and far between these days. A guy Lloyd knows says he has 3 in storage but they are packed in so no one can get them out without 3 or 4 guys and all afternoon to do it. I don't have the wheels anymore for something like that. Great pics!

A name might help me remember. I'm sure you didn't introduce yourself as Mombo-number-5. My buddy told me where he bought this from, but I forget. I do remember it involved a trade for a TAF.

If the first name of the guy Lloyd knows is Greg, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. That's a shame. It sounds like something my buddy would do once he gets the game back.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 30.40
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MONSTERFISH MODS
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside