Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TomGWI
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    1127181319 (resized).jpg
    1127181319c (resized).jpg
    1127181319a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

and no V cut behind the drop targets.

I'm curious what are you gong to do in this case, or is the cutout not required?

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from kickthefog:

I'm curious what are you gong to do in this case, or is the cutout not required?

I haven't gotten to the point where I know just yet. Just glancing at things, it doesn't appear that the cutout is needed.

#103 5 years ago

More parts out of the tumbler.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #104 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I haven't gotten to the point where I know just yet. Just glancing at things, it doesn't appear that the cutout is needed.

That's a relief! I was a bit worried. I know if I had to somehow cut that out, I'd screw it up for sure.

May the wind continue to be at your back!

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Lots of wire guides. I’ll drill a 3/32” hole for these. My spacer guide is 3 paint stir sticks and a plastic ruler.
    [quoted image]

kicking it old school. I like that, bryan!
    I'm assuming that puts the center of the ball guide at the center of the ball in terms of relative height

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I'm assuming that puts the center of the ball guide at the center of the ball in terms of relative height

Yes, sir, it does. This isn't rocket science. Stir sticks and plastic ruler work just fine.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The new playfield has recessed holes for the 4 T-nuts and no V cut behind the drop targets. I wonder how many versions of these were made?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Looking at pics on ipdb and here

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa082114hh.html#73

it would appear that the V notch behind the upper do targets was not required.

#108 5 years ago

I LOVE the dimples. No predrilling needed.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

kicking it old school

He can't help but kick it old school,
    Following by the way. Wish my F-14 had those dimples!!!!!

#110 5 years ago

Time to deal with this mess.

#111 5 years ago

Looks like you are moving right along> wanna do mine next?

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

What ultrasonic cleaner are you using bryan_kelly ?
    I'm going to be doing a Black Hole playfield swap soon so will be watching this thread closely. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Interested in this, I am trying to figure out if I can swing the funds to buy the BH playfields myself.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

Looking at pics on ipdb and here
    http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa082114hh.html#73
    it would appear that the V notch behind the upper do targets was not required.

Turns out the lower playfield has a 5 target bank that has a switch mounted in the back, which requires the notch. The upper playfield has a 4 target bank with no switch.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from heni1977:

He can't help but kick it old school,
    Following by the way. Wish my F-14 had those dimples!!!!!

yeah, with bryan I think they just called it "school" and all of the kids were in a single room with one teacher for grades 1-12

#115 5 years ago

Bare wire stapled back in. I set the regulator at 75 psi. With higher settings, you stand the risk of cutting the wire. Don’t ask me how I know this. I said DON’T ASK!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #116 5 years ago

Needles to say, not all the dimples are perfect. Even though they’re close, you’re going to want to fine tune some to get perfect alignment of some of the parts.

#117 5 years ago

That’s it for the backside, minus the drop target bank. I won’t have the new targets until tomorrow.

There were a few dimples that didn't quite line up. They were close, but not quite. As always, make sure things line up before you use them.

#118 5 years ago

Last of the parts out of the tumblers.

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Bare wire stapled back in. I set the regulator at 75 psi. With higher settings, you stand the risk of cutting the wire. Don’t ask me how I know this. I said DON’T ASK!

Looks like it can mess up the clear on the other side too - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/124#post-4693717

#120 5 years ago

The apron is really nice. I used nothing but water to clean it. I think most anything else will effect the ink.

#121 5 years ago

I saw that. I've done a lot of stapling on the underside of playfields and have never had this happen. Lesson learned from someone else....only use enough pressure to set the staples. 75 psi works for me.

#122 5 years ago

Just curious, are you doing this for a guy named Craig?

#123 5 years ago

After the rubber is installed, I’ll adjust all the switches.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mombo-number-5:

Just curious, are you doing this for a guy named Craig?

Nope.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The apron is really nice. I used nothing but water to clean it. I think most anything else will effect the ink.

Does look great. I would add that 70s Gottlieb aprons can sometimes be prone to ink/graphics damage even with water. I always test a small area with just a q-tip before proceeding further. System 80 games may be more durable. Following your thread as these games use lots of Gottlieb parts common in the 70s. Great work. Thanks for documenting this for us.

#126 5 years ago

Main playfield is back in the rotisserie. All the wire guides were installed with the playfield on top of a solid workbench, not in the rotisserie.

#127 5 years ago

Small nail holes have been filled. Here’s how I then install the nails.

#128 5 years ago

Looking great!

I always give all those slotted screws back to the owner, and change everything over to slip-free Phillips head screws.

Makes the re-pop go 3x faster, and eliminates the chance of sliding out of the slot and damaging something valuable.

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Having never done a HH, I'll be taking a ton of pics.

Your pics are nicely lit (and focused), you should consider putting the 100 best tear down pics on the HH Pinside Shopout Galery:

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/haunted-house/gallery/shopout

#130 5 years ago

Something I wasn't clear on, are the guide posts holes already there or did you have to find the place and drill them yourself?

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Looking great!
    I always give all those slotted screws back to the owner, and change everything over to slip-free Phillips head screws.
    Makes the re-pop go 3x faster, and eliminates the chance of sliding out of the slot and damaging something valuable.

It would be a lot easier to use different hardware, but I don't work that way. I prefer to use the hardware that came with the game....cause that's what came with the game. I want the owner to open the game up and have it look just like it did from the factory.

Quoted from vid1900:

Your pics are nicely lit (and focused), you should consider putting the 100 best tear down pics on the HH Pinside Shopout Galery:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/haunted-house/gallery/shopout

I'll look into that when I'm all done.

Quoted from Zablon:

Something I wasn't clear on, are the guide posts holes already there or did you have to find the place and drill them yourself?

The holes are there. You'll want to drill them out just a tad, depending on the diameter of the guide.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It would be a lot easier to use different hardware, but I don't work that way. I prefer to use the hardware that came with the game....cause that's what came with the game. I want the owner to open the game up and have it look just like it did from the factory.

I hear ya.

I always figure that no one is going to think that my restored **sheet of glass** playfield is anything near original, so using better fasteners is just one more improvement.

(and unlike the playfield, screws are 100% reversible)

Carry on with the good work!

#133 5 years ago

Underside of the lower playfield complete.

#134 5 years ago

Topside complete.

#135 5 years ago

Well. That didn’t go well.

B167AC46-B7F3-4A53-BE21-AD53E8E42E8A (resized).jpegB167AC46-B7F3-4A53-BE21-AD53E8E42E8A (resized).jpeg
    #136 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Well. That didn’t go well.
    [quoted image]

whose product was that ?

#137 5 years ago

That’s it for the top for now.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

whose product was that ?

No idea who made it but it came from BAA. I'll contact Rick and have him send me another. I rarely ever have issues with his stuff, but when I have in the past, he always takes care of things.

#139 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Topside complete.
    [quoted image]

Looks awesome! Is the large light shield at the left end of drops cracked? Bummer if so...

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Looks awesome! Is the large light shield at the left end of drops cracked? Bummer if so...

It is. It's the only one cracked. At least it's on the lower playfield.

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

No idea who made it but it came from BAA. I'll contact Rick and have him send me another. I rarely ever have issues with his stuff, but when I have in the past, he always takes care of things.

looking through e-mails to see where this one came from ( I think it came from CPR ) :
    IMG_1814 (resized).jpgIMG_1814 (resized).jpg

#142 5 years ago

I recall reading a few posts months ago where others had the same problem with the spiderweb print lifting off when they removed the protective coating. It's possible that the whole run may be like that.

#143 5 years ago

I’ll be adding Mylar on the lower. Not sure how to configure it yet.

2E505FF8-6D28-43F1-A64F-98C324448992 (resized).jpeg2E505FF8-6D28-43F1-A64F-98C324448992 (resized).jpeg
    #144 5 years ago

On to the upper playfield.

#145 5 years ago

I can not lie. All the star posts are on and I have 2 longer ones I have no idea where they go. Of course I didn’t notice them when they were take off. I’ll find out where they go at some point. If anyone happens to know where these go, please let me know.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

I recall reading a few posts months ago where others had the same problem with the spiderweb print lifting off when they removed the protective coating. It's possible that the whole run may be like that.

Let's hope not. I've requested a new one and have asked them to remove the coating before sending. I'll see what happens.

#147 5 years ago

Targets are adjusted.

#148 5 years ago

Don’t forget the protective tubing on the pop bumper lamp leads.

#149 5 years ago

Target bank is rebuilt.

#150 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I can not lie. All the star posts are on and I have 2 longer ones I have no idea where they go. Of course I didn’t notice them when they were take off. I’ll find out where they go at some point. If anyone happens to know where these go, please let me know.
    [quoted image]

Happens to me all the time.

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-playfield-swap/page/3?hl=jeewiz13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.