Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TomGWI
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    1127181319 (resized).jpg
    1127181319c (resized).jpg
    1127181319a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 5 years ago

My mixture will get darker than this and also start to smell nasty, depending on what gets cleaned.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #52 5 years ago

The plastics have all been cleaned with Purple power and a paint brush. I have no idea if these are original or not. They’re nice enough all I have to do is flame a few of them and they’ll look brand new.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I don't think I've ever played this game, so where do I know to add mylar protection? I guess I'll just look for the beat to shit spots on the old playfields.

The most important spot is where the ball drops on the far left, it will drop there most often as I think 2 places land pretty near each other onto the lower pf. Each game will drop the 4 places slightly different so you will need to see where yours drop. You can also get cliffy's if you don't already have them for the kickout hole and the middle drop down target hole. Now that I think about it, it's interesting they didn't put a gate on the kickup hole - but the ball does go down there quite a bit, so I recommend the cliffy.

Another place that seems to wear is the very top of the main pf coming out of the gate near the left corner to the left of welcome where that 'bumper' is that the ball will bounce off of.

Mine doesn't show any wear at all on the top kicker pf area...but someone suggested protecting that area too.

Your pop targets for a home use pin is probably fine w/o any mylar. In many cases putting mylar around those ends up causing issues down the road, but that is up to you.

As for the plastics, if they are original, they printing should be on the bottom of the plastic. The older replications were printed on the top of the plastic. I'm not sure if anyone has made any newer ones that are more like the originals or not.

#54 5 years ago

Next up is to remove all the coils from their assemblies. Then I reinstall most everything loosely. This is how things will go through the ultrasonic. This game is pretty clean. This should be all this stuff needs.

I was going to rebuild the flippers but these parts look really nice. I’ll see how things turn out.

504DE6A5-7FA6-4DCC-8C78-8841BABE4FEF (resized).jpeg504DE6A5-7FA6-4DCC-8C78-8841BABE4FEF (resized).jpeg8B978D20-B0CB-4D41-9536-C31BAB474F2A (resized).jpeg8B978D20-B0CB-4D41-9536-C31BAB474F2A (resized).jpeg
    #55 5 years ago

A buddy of mine provides the honey for this stuff. It’s really good!

#56 5 years ago

More pics showing where coils go and their oriantation.

#57 5 years ago

No matter how clean things look, this will always happen.

#58 5 years ago

All this is ready for the ultrasonic tomorrow morning.

#59 5 years ago

I’ll prewash some of the really dirty parts.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#60 5 years ago

I’ve got a friend who hooks me up with this stuff too.

#61 5 years ago

That's going to be a gorgeous HH .

Here an idea you maybe could steal, or you buy a set of me ready to assemble ...
    IMG_5190 (resized).JPGIMG_5190 (resized).JPGIMG_5194 (resized).JPGIMG_5194 (resized).JPGIMG_5197 (resized).JPGIMG_5197 (resized).JPGIMG_5876 (resized).JPGIMG_5876 (resized).JPGIMG_5881 (resized).JPGIMG_5881 (resized).JPG

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from thierryv:

That's going to be a gorgeous HH .
    Here an idea you maybe could steal, or you buy my a set of me ready to assemble ...
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks but my goal is to simply make this game as nice or nicer than when it left the factory. No glowing mods are needed.

#63 5 years ago

Mods, mods, mods. Inside the cab now? Enough!

#64 5 years ago

What ultrasonic cleaner are you using Bryan_Kelly ?

I'm going to be doing a Black Hole playfield swap soon so will be watching this thread closely. Thanks for sharing your experience!

#65 5 years ago

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the next size larger. It'd be easier to fit harnesses in.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    #66 5 years ago

I assume the new playfields are pre dimpled on the back side ?

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from thierryv:

I assume the new playfields are pre dimpled on the back side ?

Yes they are.

#68 5 years ago

With most of the cleaning done, the fun begins. Since new coil wrappers aren’t available, I’ll clean the old ones by hand depending on whether they’re original or paper.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #69 5 years ago

More parts.

#70 5 years ago

Drop target banks cleaned. Waiting for new targets.

#71 5 years ago

I should have mentioned, all coil sleeves are replaced.

#72 5 years ago

While I like spending someone else’s money, I like saving it too. All the flipper parts look fine and will be reused.

#73 5 years ago

The last of 8 flippers rebuilt. Who makes a fucking game with 8 fucking flippers????

#74 5 years ago

Here's pictures of my restore I did back in 2013. Complete teardown and playfield restore on all three playfields.

This was the main playfield before clearcoat. I repainted all the orange/yellow diamonds, all the neon green... lots of work, but fun.

IMG_3073 (resized).JPGIMG_3073 (resized).JPG

Here's the inside of my cab...

IMG_3154 (resized).JPGIMG_3154 (resized).JPG

And here it is going back together...

IMG_3225 (resized).JPGIMG_3225 (resized).JPG

Thought I had better pictures somewhere. Oh well. Have fun!

(Wow cell phone cameras have come a long way since 2013... these were from my old iPhone 3)

#75 5 years ago

Last of the coil mechs. Not sure why the one is bent but I guess I’ll find out when things go back together.

#76 5 years ago

Appreciate the time documenting. I love the Honey Badger beer so good... LOL!

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Mods, mods, mods. Inside the cab now? Enough!

And on the back of my HH

IMG_5205 (resized).JPGIMG_5205 (resized).JPG
    #78 5 years ago

Can you put a NSFW tab on this? Its really doing it for me today...

#79 5 years ago

Meh, I’m quitting, no more pinball restoration, don’t cry fo me, for I am already dead.-Bk

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Meh, I’m quitting, no more pinball restoration, don’t cry fo me, for I am already dead.-Bk

This isn't a restoration, asshole! It's a simple playfield swap. Don't you have holes to dig somewhere?

#81 5 years ago

I’m only doing a playfield swap but I don’t mind cleaning up some of the cabinet parts.

#82 5 years ago

For adhesive removal, this stuff works great. Brass brushes are also your friends.

#83 5 years ago

Much nicer.

#84 5 years ago

Next I’ll regrain with 120 grit (only where and if needed) 220, 320 and finally red pad.

#85 5 years ago

I like it.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

70 pics taken during the teardown of the main playfield. All taken throughout the process.
    I've taken no notes yet. Everything I need to know is in the pics.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

yes, a picture tells a thousand words. however, the longer it takes you to get back to where you were, the more likely you are to forget. taking video during the disassembly process and providing "color commentary" is your best bet

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Upper playfield parts and lower playfield parts.
    [quoted image]

the last time that I added parts immediately after adding the flitz, I found sections of the parts covered with a wet coating of walnut shells. I now find it best to add the flitz in, run the tumbler for a couple of minutes and then add the parts

#88 5 years ago

I already forgot where these go. Doesn’t matter. I’ll make them look pretty.

#89 5 years ago

More shine.

#90 5 years ago

I use this quite frequently. It’s a great cleaner for anything metal.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

yes, a picture tells a thousand words. however, the longer it takes you to get back to where you were, the more likely you are to forget. taking video during the disassembly process and providing "color commentary" is your best bet

Yeah, video ain't gonna happen.

Quoted from j_m_:

the last time that I added parts immediately after adding the flitz, I found sections of the parts covered with a wet coating of walnut shells. I now find it best to add the flitz in, run the tumbler for a couple of minutes and then add the parts

True and I normally do just that with most parts. Never had an issue with smaller parts.

#92 5 years ago

I paid no attention to the fact that 10 T-nuts are smaller than the rest. Blowing up one of my pics on the computer, it shows the 10 go around the window.

#93 5 years ago

Barnwood Builders for the win!

#94 5 years ago

T-nuts installed. I enlarged the existing holes to 3/16”.

#95 5 years ago

Lots of wire guides. I’ll drill a 3/32” hole for these. My spacer guide is 3 paint stir sticks and a plastic ruler.

#96 5 years ago

The new playfield has recessed holes for the 4 T-nuts and no V cut behind the drop targets. I wonder how many versions of these were made?

#97 5 years ago

Wire guides and Hairbanger!

#98 5 years ago

Lower playfield harness is cleaned, rinsed and blown dry. Light sockets look brand new.

#99 5 years ago

Upper playfield harness is done too.

#100 5 years ago

And lastly the main playfield harness.

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-playfield-swap/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.