5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by TomGWI
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 167 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    1127181319 (resized).jpg
    1127181319c (resized).jpg
    1127181319a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 5 months ago

I am about to embark on one. I've always wanted to use the word embark.

Seeing as the Mirco playfields are relatively new, I'm not sure if anyone has done one yet. If you have, anything out of the ordinary you ran into? Anything I should know?

#2 5 months ago

Now this is gonna be fun. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

#3 5 months ago

Thats an absolute beast of a game Bryan... GOOD LUCK!

#4 5 months ago

Honestly as far as playfields go on SS games this one doesn't seem too bad.. I've had most of my main of torn apart working on it at some point and it is pretty straight forward.... Not easy by any means.. But easier than others I've messed with.

Can you post pictures of your current plainfield for comparison? I'm still going back and forth on doing this or not

#5 5 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Honestly as far as playfields go on SS games this one doesn't seem too bad.. I've had most of my main of torn apart working on it at some point and it is pretty straight forward.... Not easy by any means.. But easier than others I've messed with.
    Can you post pictures of your current plainfield for comparison? I'm still going back and forth on doing this or not

I wasn't really planning on documenting this, but I could share some of what goes on....as it goes on.

#6 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I wasn't really planning on documenting this, but I could share some of what goes on....as it goes on.

Yes do it. Will be following.

#7 5 months ago

Please document...especially pain points.

#8 5 months ago

Nothing earth shattering yet. Lower playfield stripped. Having never done a HH, I'll be taking a ton of pics.

IMG_3745 (resized).jpgIMG_3753 (resized).jpgIMG_3771 (resized).jpgIMG_3775 (resized).jpgIMG_3776 (resized).jpgIMG_3779 (resized).jpg
    #9 5 months ago

That original playfield really doesn't look that bad at all.

#10 5 months ago

Following this one! Someone is getting ready to get one of the nicest HH ever.

#11 5 months ago

I did one about 5 years ago. Pulled all 3 playfield out and sent them off for touch ups and auto clearcoat. The upper and basement playfields were a breeze. The main was a bit more work but nothing too much. Worst part is all the screws are a slot head. Did the pop bumper update, ground mod, and the upkicker kit. Boards went out to John Robertson at flippers to go over for any issues. Turned out very nice.

#12 5 months ago
    Quoted from generalgman:

I did one about 5 years ago. Pulled all 3 playfield out and sent them off for touch ups and auto clearcoat. The upper and basement playfields were a breeze. The main was a bit more work but nothing too much. Worst part is all the screws are a slot head. Did the pop bumper update, ground mod, and the upkicker kit. Boards went out to John Robertson at flippers to go over for any issues. Turned out very nice.

Have you got info on the pop update and up kicker kit? The ground mods were already done. I'm new to this era game.

#13 5 months ago

Favorited. Looking forward to learning about this era of game

#14 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Have you got info on the pop update and up kicker kit? The ground mods were already done. I'm new to this era game.

I will go through my notes and let you know.

#15 5 months ago

I'd be interested in this as well . . .

Quoted from generalgman:

I will go through my notes and let you know.

#16 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Nothing earth shattering yet. Lower playfield stripped. Having never done a HH, I'll be taking a ton of pics.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not on a rotisserie

#17 5 months ago

It'll be interesting to see, whether or not ball drops to the cellar will crack or damage the clear over some time. I've been tempted to grab the new trio, but I think I would want to either mylar or protector the cellar, as it takes a beating at those ball drops.

Following the swap.

#18 5 months ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

That original playfield really doesn't look that bad at all.

It’s got issues.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #19 5 months ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Not on a rotisserie

LMAO! Touche', asshole.

#20 5 months ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

It'll be interesting to see, whether or not ball drops to the cellar will crack or damage the clear over some time. I've been tempted to grab the new trio, but I think I would want to either mylar or protector the cellar, as it takes a beating at those ball drops.
    Following the swap.

Mirco did a beautiful job on these playfields. At least as far as artwork and clear. I'll find out later how the dimples work out.

#21 5 months ago

On a rotisserie.

IMG_3854 (resized).jpg
    #22 5 months ago

70 pics taken during the teardown of the main playfield. All taken throughout the process.

I've taken no notes yet. Everything I need to know is in the pics.

IMG_3786 (resized).jpgIMG_3787 (resized).jpgIMG_3812 (resized).jpgIMG_3813 (resized).jpgIMG_3852 (resized).jpgIMG_3853 (resized).jpg
    #23 5 months ago

I've removed most of the assemblies from the underside. Before I did that, I took pics of the wire colors and locations. I also took detailed pics of anything I think I'll need to know later.

The most important thing to remember when stripping a playfield...if you find yourself saying you don't need a pic because you'll remember it later, take the pic. You will NOT remember it later.

94 pics taken so far.

IMG_3807 (resized).jpgIMG_3808 (resized).jpgIMG_3810 (resized).jpgIMG_3821 (resized).jpgIMG_3826 (resized).jpgIMG_3831 (resized).jpg
    #24 5 months ago

The original playfields actually look pretty decent, any chance you'll be selling them? The mirco playfield looks beautiful too, though. This thread is serious eye-candy and will likely ignite my search for an HH in earnest.

Modifications for the pop bumper driver boards, adding caps to slingshot coils (on the main playfield only), tips for the ball lifter assy, and more are all here in the BHHHC guide:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Black-Hole%20and%20Haunted-House%20Repair%20Guide.pdf

Thanks for documenting your process here!

#25 5 months ago
    Quoted from frunch:

The original playfields actually look pretty decent, any chance you'll be selling them? The mirco playfield looks beautiful too, though. This thread is serious eye-candy and will likely ignite my search for an HH in earnest.
    Modifications for the pop bumper driver boards, adding caps to slingshot coils (on the main playfield only), tips for the ball lifter assy, and more are all here in the BHHHC guide:
    http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Black-Hole%20and%20Haunted-House%20Repair%20Guide.pdf
    Thanks for documenting your process here!

Thanks for the info! The game owner is a good friend. I don't know why he'd want to keep the playfields but I can check with him.

#26 5 months ago

You are doing a really good job here Bryan! Let me know if you find any issues. I have checked all holes twice but sometimes I do still miss something.

For the lower playfield protection question I would definitely suggest mylar spots at the drop area. Maybe that is too weak and we need to do a full playfield protector for the lower playfield. If there is any cracking or chipping in that area with mylar I would replace the playfield for free and add a protector. But with the new coats I have improved shortly I'm optimistic that it will only dimple...

Let me know your thoughts....

Regards,
    Mirco

#27 5 months ago

Make sure you protect that top playfield scoop area. The “staircase” graphic can take a beating. Same with pops on main level. Awesome job so far!

#28 5 months ago

I don't think I've ever played this game, so where do I know to add mylar protection? I guess I'll just look for the beat to shit spots on the old playfields.

#29 5 months ago
    Quoted from Highclasspinball:

You are doing a really good job here Bryan! Let me know if you find any issues. I have checked all holes twice but sometimes I do still miss something.
    For the lower playfield protection question I would definitely suggest mylar spots at the drop area. Maybe that is too weak and we need to do a full playfield protector for the lower playfield. If there is any cracking or chipping in that area with mylar I would replace the playfield for free and add a protector. But with the new coats I have improved shortly I'm optimistic that it will only dimple...
    Let me know your thoughts....
    Regards,
    Mirco

Like I said earlier, Mirco, the art and clear is beautiful on these. I'll note any issues when reinstalling parts. And yes, I understand a few off when you're dealing with hundreds of them.

#30 5 months ago

Upper playfield stripped. Now I'll take inventory of everything I'll need and go shopping at PBR.

I LOVE shopping for pinball parts, especially when I'm spending someone else's money.

BTW, that's 120 pics so far.

IMG_3859 (resized).jpgIMG_3864 (resized).jpgIMG_3875 (resized).jpgIMG_3880 (resized).jpg

#31 5 months ago

Everything is organized as to which playfield the parts came off of. Needless to say, the playfields won’t go anywhere until I’m done with the swaps. Too many reference points will be needed.

#32 5 months ago

Got some harnesses too.

image (resized).jpg
    #33 5 months ago

I plan on doing a restore on mine when the time comes. One of the biggest concerns I have is in regards to where the ball drops on the lower playfield. I'm worried about the ball pounding the same spot and blowing out the clear.

#34 5 months ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

I plan on doing a restore on mine when the time comes. One of the biggest concerns I have is in regards to where the ball drops on the lower playfield. I'm worried about the ball pounding the same spot and blowing out the clear.

I'm not sure if they would just sell you the one for the lower playfield, but one of these PET-G protectors would eliminate any worry about damage ...

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/eYAsZ_MigkuTeZ00izcbRQ?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=Haunted%20House%20%7C%201982

#35 5 months ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

I'll be putting down Mylar on the drop zones for sure. Seeing as this is going to be home use and in a collection of better than 40 games, I'm not too worried about a ton of play.

#36 5 months ago

Time to clean a few things. First I fill the ultrasonic with hot tap water. Then I’ll mix in about 1/4 Purple power. Then I’ll run it through a 20 minute cycle to heat things up.

AEA84C25-FACF-4A27-AF1E-EF321F7C6EA9 (resized).jpegF9BEE0CC-C9F0-40EF-85CB-4676426FA469 (resized).jpegA45D7EDF-8D44-468E-AEDA-7F160AE5D776 (resized).jpegAAE69F8A-BA0C-410E-8CA8-1FF368E6C5D7 (resized).jpeg
    #37 5 months ago

First is all the smaller metal from the main playfield. I’ll run this for 10 minutes.

image (resized).jpg
    #38 5 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'll be putting down Mylar on the drop zones for sure. Seeing as this is going to be home use and in a collection of better than 40 games, I'm not too worried about a ton of play.

good point. my game wouldn't be getting hammered.

#39 5 months ago

Then parts get rinsed well and dried with compressed air.

#40 5 months ago

As the ultrasonic runs, it will actually get hotter than what you set it for. If I run a number of batches in a row, it will top out at 70.

image (resized).jpg
    #41 5 months ago

Let’s see what happens with the flipper bats.

image (resized).jpg
    #42 5 months ago

Even after 10 minutes, many parts still need a little scrubbing to remove everything.

image (resized).jpg
    #43 5 months ago

A little scrubbing with a grey Scotchbrite pad and the rest of the gunk is gone.

image (resized).jpg
    #44 5 months ago

Next up, tumbling. I’ve got a couple smaller Berry’s I use. Walnut shells and Flitz is what I use.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #45 5 months ago

That’s about the amount of Flitz I’ll use to start. I’ll add about half that amount in every batch from here on.

image (resized).jpg
    #46 5 months ago

Upper playfield parts and lower playfield parts.

image (resized).jpg
    #47 5 months ago

Very clean and organized working surfaces/spaces - enjoying this thread

#48 5 months ago

Thanks to Chris Hutchins recommendation, the Thumler takes care of the larger pieces.

#49 5 months ago

It’s easier with some parts to take 30 seconds to buff them than deal with tumbling.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #50 5 months ago

Harnesses that fit will also go through the ultrasonic. I should also mention, anything metal gets immediately rinsed and dried with compressed air when it comes out.

image (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 9.10
    $ 129.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 34.99
    Cleaner
    Pinball Pro
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside