Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ChrisG78
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I did this Haunted House a while back but figured i would post the link to the restore pics if anyone would like to see them.
Didn't have any other options with this playfield since they wont be made.
Pics here https://www.flickr.com/photos/67565915@N06/sets/72157635391130581/

#2 5 years ago

very nice

#3 5 years ago

Water slide technique? HH is a PIA to do and costs a fortune if you need a professional to do it.

#4 5 years ago

Amazing, you practically repainted the whole field. compliments

#5 5 years ago

No water slides all hand painted.

#6 5 years ago

Hand painted? You've got skills!

#7 5 years ago

And a lot of time!

#8 5 years ago

Looks awesome! I keep going back and forth at the dead dining party, that one dead man was almost totaly gone!

What did they use on this machine? A ball with spikes?

I have been wanting to try buy a medium worn PF to try fix.
Do you use acrylic paint? And what do you coat with?

#10 5 years ago

I use acrylic paints ,I like to use spray max 2k.
It dries hard and is a 2 part clear.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from theseadoomaster:

I use acrylic paints ,I like to use spray max 2k.
It dries hard and is a 2 part clear.

standard artist acrylic tubes of pain?

anything special/specific about the paint? like matte, gloss, rating (1,2,3...), brand, etc...?
appreciate any advice.

cheers

#12 5 years ago

Impressive, what you started with is even more worn than my HH.

1 week later
#13 5 years ago

I use the bottles you get for about a buck each.
They dry flat but when you clear they look nice,and being acrylic the clear doesn't affect them.

#14 5 years ago

I can see that you put a lot of time in to it, which is what it takes. Now that you are familiar with the time and process, would you care to share with the folks how many hours it took without the clearcoat. It may explain why people that do the work properly, don't take restoration work any more because the customers don't realize how many hours are involved. I wouldn't believe how many hours it takes to do a good job if I had never done it before.
If I did all 3 pf's that were in the condition yours were in, I think it would take me about 200 hours including prep, matching colors, repairs, but not the clear. That's a whole other job. good work! cheers, ron

#15 5 years ago

Wow! Excellent work man.

Ron--You are spot on about the time required.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I can see that you put a lot of time in to it, which is what it takes. Now that you are familiar with the time and process, would you care to share with the folks how many hours it took without the clearcoat. It may explain why people that do the work properly, don't take restoration work any more because the customers don't realize how many hours are involved. I wouldn't believe how many hours it takes to do a good job if I had never done it before.
If I did all 3 pf's that were in the condition yours were in, I think it would take me about 200 hours including prep, matching colors, repairs, but not the clear. That's a whole other job. good work! cheers, ron

absolutely. People don't realize how much the smallest touchup, really involves. Hell, I didn't even realize it when i started doing it. Turned out to be 3X's longer than I would have ever expected. For a set of those 3, to do the work he did, it would have cost 1700-2k to even attempt it.

1 week later
#17 5 years ago

The upper PF didn't need very much but he other two are a different story.
The main PF was on my rotisserie for a couple weeks(working a few hours here and there)
All in all i would guess 20-30 hours for all three without clearcoat.
The checkerboard pattern on the main PF and the rock shapes on the lower PF were the worst(time consumer)
They didn't turn out perfect but considdering the condition i started with i was very happy with the result.

#19 5 years ago

Impressive, thanks for restoring another HH, some of my favorite artwork.

#20 5 years ago

wow! are you a surgeon in your day job? you must have great eyesight, and steady hands, for me to do 3 average HH pf so that you coundnt tell it was touched up, (basically like new) I bet it woulkd take me more than 150 hours.
great job, HH and BH play so awesome when cleared. BH can be fast without the clear, buy HH really benefits from the smooth surface. cheers, ron

#21 5 years ago

Looks great. I got a question for ya. I was hoping maybe you can help cause seems like nobody knows. On the lower basement.... There's a pop up board... With a 6 pin connector. Actually 5 pin. Cause 1 is not used.. There's a 3 rd pin wire that's red..... On mine anyway. That runs from that board to the wire harness than connects to another plug.... Anyway. Mine is disconnected from the harness and isn't connected. Only from the board it's connected... The other end I need to know where it goes. I have pictures on my page of what I am talking about. Is there anyway you could help me on this??? Thanks. Dave Ps. That wire runs the pop up for the ball

#22 5 years ago

Can you provide a write up on your experience? I have a HH that I want to restore, but have been very shy about it. I dont want to do something I cant undo. Your experience would be very useful to others.

#23 5 years ago

Wow.

I'm happy to sort out mechanicals, electricals and board repairs all day long and what I don't know I can learn, but the ability to do artwork like that is something you either have or you don't. Sure, with art you can improve technique etc but if you're missing that "art gene" then it ain't happening. Sure ain't happening whenever I've tried, that's for sure.

Stunning piece of work, well done!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Peterbilt313:

Looks great. I got a question for ya. I was hoping maybe you can help cause seems like nobody knows. On the lower basement.... There's a pop up board... With a 6 pin connector. Actually 5 pin. Cause 1 is not used.. There's a 3 rd pin wire that's red..... On mine anyway. That runs from that board to the wire harness than connects to another plug.... Anyway. Mine is disconnected from the harness and isn't connected. Only from the board it's connected... The other end I need to know where it goes. I have pictures on my page of what I am talking about. Is there anyway you could help me on this??? Thanks. Dave Ps. That wire runs the pop up for the ball

Sorry I don't have the machine anymore for reference.

Quoted from Snux:

Wow.
I'm happy to sort out mechanicals, electricals and board repairs all day long and what I don't know I can learn, but the ability to do artwork like that is something you either have or you don't. Sure, with art you can improve technique etc but if you're missing that "art gene" then it ain't happening. Sure ain't happening whenever I've tried, that's for sure.
Stunning piece of work, well done!

As far as Art goes I'm definitely not an artist but I did spend countless hours in middle school drawing ,something I haven't done in 25 years or so.

#25 5 years ago

If it wasn't for the fact that it takes so long to do these, I would consider doing a few of these for other people.
Now I understand why some of these Playfield restorers charge so much.

#26 5 years ago

Looks fantastic, you should be proud.

1 month later
#27 5 years ago

I tried that spray max and had very bad results I think room temp was too cold not sure took a ton of wet sanding to make it look decent. I still have a can left was expensive so hate to waste it but also hate to get into a bad situation again. Any pointers on how you sprayed your play field like I said I believe my room temp got too low but not sure. I took all the steps shown on pinball repair site for prep but just wanted to know any tricks specifically for this product.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Indianapolis, IN
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 50.00
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
€ 8.40
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
$ 229.99
$ 159.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 79.00
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside