(Topic ID: 140202)

Haunted House no solenoids firing

By maestro

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Working in a Gottlieb Haunted House. One of the flipper coils got hot. Replaced the flipper coil. Now none of the flippers are working. Some of the saucer hole coils aren't firing. I checked all the fuses under the palyfield and they are good. I'm not too familiar with the Gottlieb Sys 80's. What else should I check? Also the plug inside the cabinet is not getting juice. Not sure if this is new or not.

#2 8 years ago

Check your main fuse to make sure power is present inside the cabinet. Then follow the power in and out of the power supply. You should find something amiss by then.

#3 8 years ago

I forgot to mention that up until now the ground mods were not done. It is grounded now. When put into test mode 17, solenoid test, solenoid 2 is the only one that does not fire. All lights work on the playfield.

I pulled all the fuses and they all tested fine. It will probably me a few days before I can look at it again. Which fuse is the "main fuse"? This is the first system 80 I've worked on. Should I be checking transistors on the driver board? Q57 and Q58?

Before this the game was playing fine. One of the flippers was getting weak so another tech replaced the flipper coil. After a while the flipper got weak again. Then no flippers or pops work. When we checked the flippers again we found two of them had plungers hanging up in the coil sleeves. The coil sleeves were stuck inside the coils. Obviously the coils are getting hot. EOS switches are adjusted properly.

What should I be hunting?

#4 8 years ago

If anything is working the main fuse is good. I suspected it was blown when you said the plug inside the cabinet (service outlet?) wasn't getting juice.

I can't D/L a manual so I'm not sure about the trannys. Do they drive solenoid 2?

I agree your coils are overheating. However, I think the flippers will have a different cause than other playfield solenoids. You should have been blowing fuses with several coils locked on. Get the ones fixed that have melted sleeves, then power on for NO MORE THAN 3 SECONDS at a time. Listen and look for solenoids that activate with the ON switch. Check the ones that melted their sleeves first. Give the coils 1 MINUTE to cool if you find one locking on at power up. Disconnect the signal wire from that coil and repeat test until no coils activate at power up. Then pick one and start troubleshooting. If NO solenoids fire at power up you are ahead of the game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-no-solenoids-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.