(Topic ID: 192095)

Haunted House - no current so won't start.

By mwelliott99

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7089 (resized).JPG
IMG_7090 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi I lifted the main playfield to work on the lower playfield and started a game (without ball). Without realising it, a switch was made and a minute later I noticed smoke from a coil on the main playfield. Switched it off and let it cool down but now when I try to play a game the Pascal board says 'Err 2' which apparently means 'no current is flooding through coil, although it is energised'. It says this for coil 9 which it the outhole (where the ball starts). When I go to test mode none of the coils fire and all say 'Err 2'. I've unsoldered coil 9 but the diode is good and the coil is good. I haven't tested the overheated coil or attached capacitor etc. I'm a total at this but it looks as though there is no current to the coil circuit?

When I checked further I discovered that one on the capacitors on the bottom of the cabinet had a loose wire which I reconnected but still no joy.

Any ideas? Could it have been the overheating coil? I attach photos of the overheated coil and the now reattached blue capacitor (think I wired it back correctly).

Matt

IMG_7090 (resized).JPGIMG_7090 (resized).JPG

IMG_7089 (resized).JPGIMG_7089 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

In that bank of fuses, your f4 fuse looks blown to shit. You wouldn't have current with a blown fuse.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks, you were bang on. I thought I'd checked everything - what an idiot!

So fixed this and things worked for 10 mins then there was a problem with the coil in the pic above. Again it blew the same fuse and the Pascal board shut the machine down. I'm a total novice but I unsoldered one end of the coil and checked it and the Ohm reading was 0.9 which according to the guide I've been reading means it's shorted or something. Is this right and I guess it have blown the same fuse again?

I tested the diode which read about 0.55 one way and no reading the other which I think means it's ok?

Finally I tested the capacitor and my meter gave a reading of 4.1. Not sure what it should be though?

Why did I take on such a complicated machine for my first project!!

Thanks

Matt

#4 6 years ago

0.9 ohms is too low. I'd order up a replacement coil. You'll need to determine what locked the coil on. I would start by locating the transistor that controls that coil and test it with your dmm. Pinkwiki or Clay's Guides for system 80 games should detail the testing procedures. I'll usually test a nearby transistor to compare readings if there's any uncertainty. Haunted House is an awesome game! By the time you have it all working properly, you'll likely have learned quite a bit. Good luck, and be sure to follow up with any further questions!

#5 6 years ago

Thanks, I think I know what locked it on - when I tipped the playfield right up the weight of the kicker (attached to this coil) closed the switch. I didn't notice (doing something on the lower playfield) and the smoke started. I've learnt that if I put the playfield up, press start to test the lower playfield I'd better separate that switch....or not press start!

Do you think the capacitor is ok with that reading?

#6 6 years ago

Hard to say, did you disconnect a leg from the cap before taking a reading? I'm not sure if they give accurate readings in circuit. If you want to play it safe, I'd recommend replacing the cap along with the coil. I'd still check the transistor associated with that coil just to be sure you're not at risk of burning up the new coil. Make sure to connect the wiring to the appropriate sides with respect to the band on the diode when you install the new coil (take pics before disconnecting any wiring). And just to be sure, when you replaced the fuse: you installed the correctly rated replacement, right? One last question: was this coil working fine up until it blew the fuse? Or is this a problem you've had since you acquired the game?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm only asking because you said this is your first game, so i want to be sure to cover all the basics first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-no-current-so-wont-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.