Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RandyW
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello everyone, I am working on very much a disaster case of a Haunted House. To preface this, I have lots of experience working on pins, but VERY little working on Gottlieb systems. So I need some guidance.

I have a Haunted house that when I got to it, it was missing the MPU, SDB and the power board. And the A1/A3 harness was melted. So, for starters, I ordered and installed new Rottendog power supply, MPU and Driver Board. I also got the A1/A3 rebuild kit and rebuilt that as well.

Voltages seem to check out on the power board.
12 VDC = 14.01
5VDC = 5.04
60 VAC = 64.4
8VDC = 8.56

None of the LEDs on either the MPU or SDB come on. The machine will light up the GI and will run thru attract mode sounds when left on. This is all it does. No displays, best I can tell the MPU is not booting at all.

I also went through and ohm'd out all the coils and cut out two that were burnt up, prior to hooking up the boards.

I am at a loss currently and could use your guidance.

Thanks
Randy

#2 4 years ago

I'm honestly starting to wonder if I have an issue with the new Rottendog MPU. I have had that twice before in the past, where a RD MPU came DOA.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I'm honestly starting to wonder if I have an issue with the new Rottendog MPU. I have had that twice before in the past, where a RD MPU came DOA.

Is there test points on the MPU where you can check voltage? is the CPU IC getting 5v and ground on pins 1 and 40? (I think those are the 2 pins, working from memory)

#4 4 years ago

Grab a Pascal PI-80 and never look back. Both his System 1 (PI-X4) and System 80 all in one boards are rock solid and are my go to for early Gottlieb's like this one. It will set you back close to $400 but well worth it and not much more than doing it piece meal with other boards and it gets rid of some of the frequent places for problems, their board to board edge connectors.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Is there test points on the MPU where you can check voltage? is the CPU IC getting 5v and ground on pins 1 and 40? (I think those are the 2 pins, working from memory)

I will double check that when I go back to their house. However, if memory serves me correct, I was NOT seeing voltage on the test points on the board.

As for buying different boards, that isn't really an option on this one, but I will remember it for any future cases where I need a new Gottlieb MPU. I have not had good experiences with Rotten Dog over all.

#6 4 years ago

Disconnect all display connectors. Sometimes you have to isolate it to one board. Gottlieb's can be a PITA, but easy at the same time. Sure Pascals board is nice, but I have had RD boards in many if my Gottliebs, no problems.

#7 4 years ago

I am going to head back out there to check deeper into the issue in a few days hopefully. I will report back on my findings.

Unfortunately.. as fate would have it, they are as far away as I ever travel for repairs.. So I can't just drop in any time.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Grab a Pascal PI-80 and never look back.

^^This^^

I'm using Pascal on both Genie and HH. I've had bad luck with Rottendog. Tried it with my Black Knight, and never got it to work properly.

#9 4 years ago

I sure wish I had known that before I ordered a full set of RD boards for it. But... on the next one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-no-boot-new-rd-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.