• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-02-15_21.29.05.jpg
Slammod.png
#1 12 years ago

Hi everyone, I picked up a Gottlieb Haunted House and I am having trouble getting it to a point where I can access the Self Test. It was working that far before, but not now. I have no idea what happened. Anyway, I have gone through the process and I have everything fine with Power supply and the CPU boots and the displays come on and are strobing or kind of pulsing, but when I power down and add J5 to the CPU board I get nothing different from before J5 was connected. As I recall, I should get a 5 second delay and then the displays should come on. (J5 is coin door and slam switch). There is no battery corrosian on the cpu board and a remote battery has been installed. My original problem was the left side flippers on the main (middle) playfield were not working and possibly lower level problems, but I haven't got to that point yet, backwards in fact with the no longer able to get into attract mode problem. Oh, also, I thought that it would be a Slam Tilt switch on the Coin door, but the boards in this game (CPU, Power Supply and Driver Board) all have Flippers.com stickers with an Order number And the Slam Tilt "Defeat" mod has been done and is labelled as such. Boards look beautiful.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Dave

#2 12 years ago

If the displays are strobing the slam switch mod must not be functioning correctly. I would go back and look at the mpu and try this slam switch mod. I bet he pin will boot then. As far as he flippers not working on one side check the tilt relay and the Q relay.\

Straight from pinwiki
6.1 Game Displays 000000 On Power Up and It's Not The Slam Switch

If you power the game on and all of the displays immediately display all zeros without strobing the problem is usually with the slam switch. However, if the slam switch modification has been done or the slam switch is working properly there is a problem with the switch matrix.

I had this problem on my Haunted House machine. I finally found that chip Z15 (7432) was bad.

I was fixing a kicker solenoid on the playfield, the playfield was still in the machine and fully in the upright position. While I was soldering the wire to the new solenoid I did not adequately protect the components below from a solder drip. Well, I did have a solder drip that landed right on a pop bumper driver board connector and shorted the connector. The short caused more than just this problem but for this narrative we will restrict to the slam/switch matrix problem.

Reading in other materials I recognized the problem as the slam switch issue. I used a logic probe to test other components and found the CPU board working, mostly as it should except for acting like the machine was slam tilted. There was little written about the problem outside of the slam switch. I decided to check the matrix by doing a diode check on all of the diodes in the switch matrix. When I did this, I found that many of the diodes were testing bad. These were being tested with the board removed from the machine.

Having replacement diodes in my parts drawer I decided that these must have gone bad during the short. I began unsoldering a few of the diodes. Once disconnected from the circuit board I remeasured the removed diodes and found the correct values on my meter, they were not bad. I then noticed that the bad diodes were all in the same row on the switch matrix. They all traced back to the Z15 chip. I replaced the Z15 7432 and the problem was resolved.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

#3 12 years ago

slam mod

Slammod.pngSlammod.png

#4 12 years ago

If the displays are strobing the slam switch mod must not be functioning correctly. I would go back and look at the mpu and try this slam switch mod. I bet he pin will boot then. As far as he flippers not working on one side check the tilt relay and the Q relay.\
Straight from pinwiki
6.1 Game Displays 000000 On Power Up and It's Not The Slam Switch
If you power the game on and all of the displays immediately display all zeros without strobing the problem is usually with the slam switch. However, if the slam switch modification has been done or the slam switch is working properly there is a problem with the switch matrix.
I had this problem on my Haunted House machine. I finally found that chip Z15 (7432) was bad.
I was fixing a kicker solenoid on the playfield, the playfield was still in the machine and fully in the upright position. While I was soldering the wire to the new solenoid I did not adequately protect the components below from a solder drip. Well, I did have a solder drip that landed right on a pop bumper driver board connector and shorted the connector. The short caused more than just this problem but for this narrative we will restrict to the slam/switch matrix problem.
Reading in other materials I recognized the problem as the slam switch issue. I used a logic probe to test other components and found the CPU board working, mostly as it should except for acting like the machine was slam tilted. There was little written about the problem outside of the slam switch. I decided to check the matrix by doing a diode check on all of the diodes in the switch matrix. When I did this, I found that many of the diodes were testing bad. These were being tested with the board removed from the machine.
Having replacement diodes in my parts drawer I decided that these must have gone bad during the short. I began unsoldering a few of the diodes. Once disconnected from the circuit board I remeasured the removed diodes and found the correct values on my meter, they were not bad. I then noticed that the bad diodes were all in the same row on the switch matrix. They all traced back to the Z15 chip. I replaced the Z15 7432 and the problem was resolved.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

Hmmmm, this is interesting, I've never heard this before. I will look into this for sure. My Slam Tilt mod looks like this pic, and I get continuity between the resistor and the cap.

2012-02-15_21.29.05.jpg2012-02-15_21.29.05.jpg

#5 12 years ago

Yeah i did the same on my Black Hole with the original mpu. It didnt work to well. Try the other one.

#6 12 years ago

Hmmm, Manual says switch diodes are 1N270, can I use a 1N4004 if I need them? I have those in stock... Coil diodes as well, will the 1N4004's work?

Looks like the Coil ones are 1N4004's.

Thanks, Dave

#7 12 years ago

So it turns out the problem was a Switch Matrix issue that was resolved with the replacement of Z14 on the CPU board. The Slam Tilt Switch had been disabled on the board before, so it didn't make any
sense to me. Before it died, I had noted a series of switch errors which led to Z14, with guidance from a knowledgeable source (Thank You Shane300zx). Now, on to the rest of the game!!

Thanks for the help! DaveB

#8 12 years ago

Awesome. I know a little bit about the system80's having owning a black hole and the knowledge of wealth on here,thanks to PinMike and all the others. They really are nice games when you do the correct mods and can give years of trouble free gameplay. This is actually a great place to be and to interact with other pinners. Not lke some of the other sites that when you ask a question after joining no one helps you because you just joined. So thanks again and welcome to the forms!

#9 12 years ago

Cool, glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting back what it was. So many tech threads don't get the solution posted to them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.