• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9269_(resized).JPG
IMG_9270_(resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

Ok, So I replaced the power supply board and the CPU board on my HH last week. The game is now working great accept for the fact that when you start a game the hammer will not activate to put the ball in the shooting lane. I can put in there by hand play around everything is fine and when it drains it realizes that ball has ended but will not shoot the ball over to start the next ball. I have replaced the coil as well and that did nothing. Please let me know of any suggestions.

#2 5 years ago

Sounds like a transistor problem. You might have a bad transistor on the driver board. If you haven't already, take a trip over to pinwiki for some info regarding the driver board transistors. You'll need a multimeter to test them.

Alternatively, it could be as simple as a bad connection or ground somewhere as well. Although since your post suggests that everything works as it should (excluding the ball return), I don't think it could be that. Still, this generation of Gottlieb games are notorious for poor connectors and even poorer grounds.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Driver_Board

#3 5 years ago

Does switch #67 show as closed when the ball is sitting in the outhole during test 18? If no, turn off the game and adjust the switch. Check the corresponding switch diode (1N270) Run test 18 again. If yes, then

Does the #9 coil fire in solenoid test 17? If yes, inspect connections (A1J4-T) if the coil still doesn't work during game play. If no, look at the driver transistor Q59 as the cause.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#5 5 years ago

i should add that there was one ground wire that was soldered to the original cpu board and i was advised that it wouldn't be needed on this new board, i still have it and its the only piece that didn't carry over. could this be the issue

IMG_9270_(resized).JPG

IMG_9269_(resized).JPG

#6 5 years ago

Gotta love it. The new era of pinball aficionado. Yeah.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from swanng:

Gotta love it. The new era of pinball aficionado. Yeah.

I have no idea what Im doing I rely on the advice of people via text and on this forum. Its not easy

#8 5 years ago

Well, after looking at your pics, my earlier post should still apply but not if the problem is actually in the aftermarket CPU board. Does the test portion work the same way on Ni-Wumpf? It also looks like I need to start out asking if the boards are original or aftermarket from now on. I usually only troubleshoot original System 80 boards, though aftermarket boards do the same thing as the originals, they are totally different animals.

All I can suggest at this time is to re-pin your CPU board connector for switch matrix (A1J6) since you had to replace the original CPU board. If the old board was replaced because of alkaline damage, it might have also gotten into that connector.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside