Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4B23D746-4EE6-4199-AF95-BFE5AB8F9D7D (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Tough situation on this one.

Bought a HH from a meticulous seller, everything worked. Disconnected the cables in the backbox, and brought it home.

Put it all back together, game fires right up and I’m playing. Second ball, I get it in the middle kicker on the top left of the game, and the ball doesn’t come out of the hole, the score displays go blank and the flashing lights stop. All I’m left with is an illuminated GI and and backglass. Sound is still working, flippers and solenoids dead.

Turn it off, turn it back on. Nothing. No display, no attract, no solenoids cycling. Just GI, Backglass and attract mode sound.

Two days of turning on and off and nothing I’ve done can get the game to boot up.

Fixes so far:
-Ground wires to boards already done
-Slam switch in door is closed
-Slam switch on PF is open
-Ball Slam Switch is open
-Gulf Pinball power board pulled and cleaned contacts
-Swemmer MPU board pulled and cleaned contacts
-Rottendog Driver board pulled and cleaned contacts
-Disconnected and reconnected all J molex cables. Added some Deoxit to ensure connection. Continuity exists in the cables
-Voltage at Displays read 60v
-Voltage at Power board reads exactly what’s needed
-Voltage at MPU reads 5v
-Voltage at Driver board reads 5v
-Fuses checked and DMM tested. All solid.

If there is a short, would that prevent a boot up? I don’t see anything around the kicker where it all started, but I’m not sure how to test for a short with a DMM.

I’ve ordered new pins to repin the cables but I can’t help but feel that the connections aren’t the issue here.

Any advice on where to go from here would be great. I’ve spent the last two days reading everything I can on Sys80 issues and none really describe this problem.

Thanks so much in advance.

4B23D746-4EE6-4199-AF95-BFE5AB8F9D7D (resized).jpeg4B23D746-4EE6-4199-AF95-BFE5AB8F9D7D (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

Personally, I would start with repinning J1 and J3 power supply connectors and use new molex .156 pins/housings.

Also, I seem many people having issues with Swemmer MPU boards. Might be good to test in another Gottlieb system 80 game to verify it is working.

#3 1 year ago

Has the capacitor in the bottom of the cabinet been replaced? If it’s orange, it hasn’t. I’d also check the 4 bridge rectifiers for wires that may have come off, if that’s good then also check the voltage on them.

#4 1 year ago

Orange cap was changed. Will check the rectifiers.

#5 1 year ago

Update
Repinned J1 and J2 as well as A10-J5 because I found a wire out of one of the connectors. The game lights up as before but still no rom boot. The Backglass flashes like normal, the attract mode sound plays and the GI field is on. No game lights are on.

The power board is a Gulf Pinball Sys 80 MA-114
The MPU is a Swemmer 8T
Driver board is a Rottendog
Sound board is original Gottlieb.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Also, I seem many people having issues with Swemmer MPU boards. Might be good to test in another Gottlieb system 80 game to verify it is working.

#7 1 year ago

I don’t have the option to test another board, and if there’s something going on that could possibly fry another board, I’m not going to take that chance.

#8 1 year ago

I have yet to see any other board cause the MPU to fail.

ChrisHibler would be happy to test/repair it for you, I believe.

#9 1 year ago

It is probable that one of the 6532s has been damaged.
This can happen in games like Haunted House when the "fish paper" that isolates the coil mechanisms from the switches becomes misplaced. Coil voltage is shorted to the switch matrix. This damages some of the ICs at Z11-Z15. Sometimes the damage extends back to U4.

The behavior you describe matches a non-booting MPU due to failed 6532.

You can try swapping U4 with U5 to see if behavior changes. This will not cause additional damage.

With power off, examine the coin drop switches for proper fish paper.
Examine all kicking targets for proper fish paper, especially the one just up the center under the attic level playfield.

You must uncover the issue. Otherwise, new parts installed will be damaged again.

I can test the parts and the MPU as a whole if you'd like to send it to me.

As noted, Swemmer MPUs can sometimes be problematic.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-gottlieb-sys80-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.