• Latest reply 10 years ago by HPR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hh.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Let me start out by saying that I'm a Williams guy and have had lots of the WPC and System 9/11 games and enjoy playing and fixing. When asked by a friend of mine if we could get the Haunted House that's been stored in the garage all cleaned up and working I foolishly said yes - After all, how hard can it be? That's now been months ago and I'm about to throw in the towel. Let's start with the good news: The pin boots up and all score displays work. Before I started replacing bulbs, cleaning, and putting on new rubber everything worked but the drop target reset on the upper playfield and the VUK to the playfield. Fast forward to now and it seems like everytime I turn it on it has different problem. Here's a list of whats working and whats not working.

Working - All Switches!!, 4 Main Flippers, Trough Kicker to Plunger, Cellar Kickout, The kickbacks at 1,2 and 5 on main playfield, Main playfield Pop Bumpers, slings, All game sounds, Basement kickout, Displays, and the fuses are good

Not Working - Both Drop Target Resets on Upper and Basement, VUK from Main to Upper Playfield, Upper Playfield Pop Bumpers, Both Upper and Lower Flippers, VUK from Basement to Main, and Kickout for the extra ball on Main (Again these all worked prior except the Upper Drop Target Reset) - The VUK to Upper Playfield didn't, then it decided to work, and now it's decided to stop working)

In a nutshell - Everything works on the main playfield except the VUK to the Upper and Extra Ball Kickback. Nothing works on the upper playfield except lights and switches, nothing works in the basement except lights, switches, and the kickback at Special

At 1 point when starting a game the Drop Target reset on the basement would fire continually instead of the trough kicker. I've cleaned all the edge connectors to the boards, all the pins appear to be in good shape. It's had some CPU work done prior and the work looks clean. I don't have a complete manual for it and I can't find a good troubleshooting guide. Everything I read discusses switch problems, bad displays, and game resets. I don't have any if these issues.

I know I'm ranting here, but if anyone has a Gottlieb System 80 For Dummies book, I sure could use it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike V.
Milford, DE

#2 10 years ago

I have a repair guide. PM me your email addy..

'BlackHole+HauntedHouse-RepairGuide'

#3 10 years ago

I can use some details too.. look what I have to fix:

hh.jpghh.jpg

#4 10 years ago

Anyone who wants the guide just PM me your email addy please.

#5 10 years ago

Wow, that does not look fun. I'm restoring my HH right now as well, so let me know if you need pictures of anything. I'm going to be replacing all of the connectors soon.

#6 10 years ago

#7 10 years ago

Guess I'm no longer allowed to post .pdf ?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Wow, that does not look fun. I'm restoring my HH right now as well, so let me know if you need pictures of anything. I'm going to be replacing all of the connectors soon.

Any close-up pictures of A1-J6 I can use, just to cross-reference the wire colors/position with the schematics and other data to make sure when I rebuild that connector, I'm doing it right, would be most appreciated. You can e-mail them to mike at pinballhelp period com.

#10 10 years ago

Pick up clay's this old pinball DVDs that deal with sys 80 games, very informative. Also talk with blownfuse here on pinside. He is a sys 80 master.

#11 10 years ago

Have you considered getting a new ni-wumpf MPU board? Maybe a new driver board as well, or rottendog PSU. Knowing you have good boards sure eliminates a lot of troubleshooting because you know they are good. My HH had a ni-wumpf & rottendog, & over 4 years never had any issues with it that weren't a simple fix.
Not super cheap to get new boards but at least you know they will be good for many many years. For an old sys80, methinks this is well worth the investment considering the issues some people seem have after 30+ years. At least start with the ni-wumpf.
At that point any issues are often just gonna be related to bad connectors, maybe diodes, stuff easier to deal with.

#12 10 years ago

There's a lot of connectors with cheap cables assembly. They always fails on machine 30 years old.
I suggest strongly that you take a small screwdriver and push back each cable on that connectors back in the bottom where they supposed to touch the pins (v shape pins).
I resolve temporarely most 95% of the problems that way. For reliability it is better to change with new connectors with crimp pins style. Edge connectors usually are not a big problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-driving-me-mad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.