• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey guys -
I'm having trouble with HH after repinning the oddball A3J3 double sided connector going to the solenoid board.
Can anyone please explain the Gottlieb pin out? I've looked in the manual schematics, but it's not exactly straightforward.

The listing from the Gottlieb service manual describes it a little better, but I can't tell which pins should be on which side of the connector.. Is one side of the connector 1 thru 25, and the other side A-Z ( more or less since four letters are missing, but three letters are capped with a bar over the top O_o )

And I've got empty pins in the connector as well. Can anyone describe this connector better?

Thanks!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Anyone?

#3 8 years ago

Yes, the way AMP connectors are normally numbered is by using numbers along one side (solder side or Component side) and the other side uses a lettering system where they leave out letters that look like numbers like the letter "I" and the Letter "O". When they hit Z, they start with lower case letters if the connector is that long ( X, Y, Z, a, b, c....). I am not exactly sure about the connector that Gottlieb used but there is usually a very small number/letter as part of the plastic on the back side of the connector where the wires enter. You will usually need good light and a magnifier to see them.

#4 8 years ago

On System 80, I believe crimp 1 is screened on the CPU board itself. Hope this helps.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the replies - does anyone know what the significance of 'overlined' characters are? i.e. D̅ ?

#6 8 years ago

These are Molex 4338 series connectors which are obsolete.

Characters with bars over them is the Molex representation of a lower case letter.
Data sheet can be found here:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Datasheets/Molex/SD-4338.pdf

Crimp contacts -- these use 08-03-0304, also obsolete. Can also use 08-03-0305 - which I just happened to have found a full reel of this week. Will be adding them to website when they arrive.

#7 8 years ago

Ed, what is the difference between the two bifurcon crimps? Reel instead of individual?

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Quoted from G-P-E:

Crimp contacts -- these use 08-03-0304, also obsolete. Can also use 08-03-0305 - which I just happened to have found a full reel of this week. Will be adding them to website when they arrive.

#8 8 years ago

Yep -- reel versus loose.
When they are made - they are all reeled. They have a de-reeling machine that they then run some of the reels through -- and charge extra for the privilege.
08-03-0304 = Loose piece.
08-03-0305 = Reel (5000 to a reel)

1 week later
#9 8 years ago

Argh!
Bad news ... and good news.

Bad news first.
My memory must be going bad. 08-03-0305 contacts are *not* the reel version of the 08-03-0304's as I mentioned earlier. 08-03-0305 is the reel version of 08-03-0306.

08-03-0303 = Reel version, 18-20AWG
08-03-0304 = loose piece, 18-20AWG
08-03-0305 = Reel version, 20-26AWG (Just bought 7000 of these and am selling in strips of ten).
08-03-0306 = loose piece, 20-26AWG

The good news -- they also had a full bag of 5000 x 08-03-0304's. Unfortunately, they were quite proud of them and priced them accordingly. But still got them.

Both

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-double-sided-a3j3-connector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.