• Latest reply 32 days ago by sparky672
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3648 (resized).JPG
IMG_3647 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider naf_llabnip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago

So I had my newer (to me) Haunted House (#hauntedhouse) just sitting in the "on" position for much of the day, has the Pascal PI-80 board, had a few issues but worked them out (biggest being a bad transistor on the board), machine has been 100% reliable for a few weeks, and SUDDENLY all of the displays went out; I wasn't even playing or touching the machine. I tried reconnecting everything, checked the F3 fuse, tried unplugging everything another 5 times, tried it again the next day, no luck, but did find lots of helpful hints on the forums (including this thread).

Ultimately I was able to determine that the AC power coming into the board (A2J1) at 60V was good. The Pascal board consolidates the power board (A2) and other boards into one, so that made the troubleshooting a little different than some of the older materials I found. But testing the A2J3 output from the board kept giving me basically no voltage readings at all (and I'm fairly stupid using a DMM, I used two different ones including an automatic one, made sure I had ground correct, set to DC in the right range, etc, and NOTHING, nada, not a volt). Lo and behold I saw the word "FUSE" written on the board, and it had a line pointing to a round thingy (yes my lack of technical expertise shows!), and sure enough I popped that right out and learned that was a tiny little fuse, which I don't think shows up on any schematics since it was not part of the original board design. Tested continuity, and I was thrilled to see NO continuity, meaning my issues seem to be caused by the little "sub-mini" sized .125A fuse. Further reading showed that the boards shipped with an extra one of these, but since I was not the original owner I did not get the extra fuse with the board. So I found one on eBay for a few bucks, and next week should be up and running.

So long story long, IF your displays suddenly go out AND if you have the Pascal PI-80 board and you leave your machine running all day (and in an upstairs area that was in the high 80s, so after a few hours things heated up I'm sure inside the machine), it is very likely just a simple little fuse ON the actual board (see photo - look for the word "FUSE", follow the line to the upper right, and that black round thing sitting on top of the white thing is the fuse and pops right off). Hope this helps someone down the road. Happy Haunted Housing!

IMG_3647 (resized).JPGIMG_3647 (resized).JPGIMG_3648 (resized).JPGIMG_3648 (resized).JPG
#11 2 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

I thought Pascal was using slow TR5 1/10 amp fuses as seen here:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=179
But your description says otherwise.
Just so we can see what fuse is there, can you include a good picture of the markings on the top of the fuse?

V1.2 and older Pascal PI80 uses the fuse you linked to (which is fast 100ma), V1.3 uses fast 125ma. Info is on Pascal website where you order spare parts. Worked like a charm, man what a relief to see the displays back!

2 months later
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Dude thanks for this. I just had the same issue with no displays working. I also have the Pascal board in mine and noticed the displays were not working a few hours before I was having a little pinball party. I found your post and found the extra fuses that came with the board that the prior two owners of the game were awesome enough to save and give to me with all the documentation and I was able to replace this fuse and get it up and running. I was able to have all my pins up and running that night thanks to you. I never would of figured this out on my own as I was trying to troubleshoot using the manual and not thinking about the game having different board sets in it. BTW the pascal board apparently comes with 4 extra fuses. Makes you wonder if this is a common issue for the fuse to die? This is the first time it happened to me in the year or so I owned the game and my games are normally on most of saturday and sunday. Thanks again.

Oh fantastic, I hoped my post could help someone, yeah it seems the issue must be fairly common since there are extra fuses included. I haven't had any hiccups since my post, but good to know if they go out again that there is a quick fix to get back up and running! Anyway, glad your party guests didn't have to miss out on HH

3 weeks later
#16 2 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Well I blew another fuse after having the game on for a about maybe 5 hours. I popped another one in and so far it made it all day sunday with no issues and I had it on and off throughout the week for about maybe 2 or 3 more hours so I am not sure if there is something going on or if that replacement fuse was faulty. Seems it always happens in attract mode so this may be a difficult one to figure out as that fuse appears to protect multiple circuits

Dang that sucks, I have not left mine in for longer than a couple of hours since my fuse blew either. Makes me wonder if the board could use a slightly stronger fuse? I know they slightly increased the size as they revised the board. I normally would never even consider that as a potential fix, but in this case perhaps they were too conservative with that part of the design.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider naf_llabnip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-displays-not-working?tu=naf_llabnip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.