• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Jediturtle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi guys,
I picked up my Haunted House this weekend. Woohoo! It has a dead 60v (display) section in the power supply that I poked around at a little before giving up and ordering a replacement that I am waiting for. The other problem is that the main level flippers are dead. The seller told me that it is because of the 60v power issue, but the more research that I do, I don't think that the flippers are related to that voltage section at all. I hope I am wrong and the new power supply solves both problems, but I'm not so sure.

What seems really weird to me is that both the upper playfield and basement playfield flippers work correctly when they should. I would think if the flipper voltage is gone it would affect all of them? Am I most likely looking at a connector issue? I've only glanced at the schematics so far (which are still a little overwhelming), but any ideas as to what to check first would be appreciated.

Thanks much!
Chris

#2 10 years ago

From what I remember, there are switch relays under the playfield that control voltage to the flippers on the lower and middle playfield. When the ball is on the middle or upper playfield, will hitting the flipper buttons always give power to the flippers or lower pf? If so, that is where your problem is, as the only time those lower pf flippers should have power is when the ball drops to the cellar.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

From what I remember, there are switch relays under the playfield that control voltage to the flippers on the lower and middle playfield. When the ball is on the middle or upper playfield, will hitting the flipper buttons always give power to the flippers or lower pf? If so, that is where your problem is, as the only time those lower pf flippers should have power is when the ball drops to the cellar.

Both the upper and lower playfield flippers use the 2nd flipper buttons. If the ball is on the main or upper level, the 2nd flipper buttons control the upper flippers only. If the ball is in the basement, the 2nd flipper buttons control the basement flippers only. I thought this was correct, but I guess I am not sure. The main flipper buttons, which would normally control the mail level flippers, do nothing.

Are you saying that the 2nd flipper buttons should not do anything if the ball is on the middle playfield? Or is it correct for them to control the upper playfield flippers all the time that the ball is not in the basement?

Thanks for the help!

#4 10 years ago

That's right, I forgot that the attic and cellar flippers were on the same button and not the middle and lower. However, on the one I used to have, if the ball was on the lower pf, all flipper power would be killed except for the lower pf. So hitting the middle pf flippers would not activate the middle flippers if the ball was in the cellar. So the switch relay under the pf may still be where your issue is at.

If I have time later today, I'll see if I can find a schematic sheet online to refresh my memory on how everything was set up and see which relays control what.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

That's right, I forgot that the attic and cellar flippers were on the same button and not the middle and lower. However, on the one I used to have, if the ball was on the lower pf, all flipper power would be killed except for the lower pf. So hitting the middle pf flippers would not activate the middle flippers if the ball was in the cellar. So the switch relay under the pf may still be where your issue is at.
If I have time later today, I'll see if I can find a schematic sheet online to refresh my memory on how everything was set up and see which relays control what.

Ahh...interesting. I will definitely check into that. I'm guessing the main flippers are on a completely different circuit from the upper/lower, so it would make sense to still be a relay issue even if the uppers switch correctly. Thanks much!

#6 10 years ago

I forgot that ipdb had to pull those Gottlieb manuals a while back, so I won't be able to help out too much. I do remember that there are two or three switch relays grouped next to each other in the back right of the middle pf's underside which had to do with the power switching. I want to say it's the "U" relay that is responsible for the power switching between the middle and lower pf's. If you have the schematics and can find where those relays are located on them, documentation of what each switch is supposed to do is pretty clear.

#8 10 years ago

Yeah the display voltage from the power supply board. 60V 42V 8.2V etc have nothing to do with the flipper power.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks guys. I didn't get a chance to dig into the flipper issue last night, but at least now I'm pretty confident that it has nothing to do with the power supply issue. Hopefully it will be something simple with the relays. Hopefully I'll get to dig in tonight.

Thanks for the link to the manual vid!

#10 10 years ago

The U relay is the one you want to look at and make sure working freely. May be hung up. Check for broken wires as well.

#11 10 years ago

It's ALIVE! Dug deeper last night and discovered that not only the flippers, but all of the uncontrolled solenoids on the main playfield were dead. Voltage was happy at the bridge rectifier, but not making it to the solenoids. Followed the wire and sure enough, it was broken off at one of the relays (the T I think...it wasn't the U as I checked that one first).

My basement ceiling is too low to be able to flip the playfield all the way up, so it was quite a contortion challenge finding it and especially soldering it back on, but I got it eventually! Once that was stuck in place, everything fired up as it should. Woohoo!

Now just to wait for my power supply to show up to get the displays working and it will be 100%! It could use a good cleaning too, but I don't see that happening until after MGC now...

Thanks much for the help guys...I appreciate it!
Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-dead-main-level-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.