40BADF05-370A-4CF9-903A-869AB9161A97 (resized).jpeg
0CC74C5D-BFBD-4551-B004-95510375A1FB (resized).jpeg
20E2D40E-DC0D-40B1-BFA3-35A5AFA6AD32 (resized).jpeg
2D44A099-A330-4031-A82F-313138613350 (resized).jpeg
F78436B5-010D-4098-AA79-9DA49692E95E (resized).jpeg
25ED4B57-8CAA-448C-B200-FBC600048466 (resized).jpeg
4AD69A75-3665-4588-B0A3-86415AAE590B (resized).jpeg
9AB6E0D5-5359-45FC-A7DB-80AA24D65F97 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davebart5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Gottlieb's Haunted House, a classic pinball machine that broke design barriers and hails from the glorious years of the early 80's where original themes ruled the day. The art is stunning, the music is charming, the field design is unprecedented, and this theme of a spooky old home with ghostly inhabitants will always have a place in our imaginations as kids and adults. It is timeless.

I call this game The Beautiful Beast because just like it's artistic subject, the old victorian house, this eye catching marvel stands out amongst the crowd, but beneath that facade is a wide, heavy machine with it's own set of quirks to deal with, lots of moving parts, can be a handful to maintain, and features unique twists/turns in it's design and gameplay.

Like those behemoth homes with an excessive amount of entries, doors, windows, hallways, stairs, levels, etc., the game consists of (3) playfields, (8) flippers, (4) flipper buttons, (4) pop bumpers, (9) drop targets, (11) spot targets, (2) kickback targets, (3) kickout holes, (2) VUK's, (2) drop holes to the basement, (2) hidden passages to the basement, (1) ramp, and (3) different songs that change by location. Very fitting portrayal of it's real life counterpart.

The designers at Gottlieb nailed the concept. The lightning bolts are striking as they flash behind that spooky 3D backglass depicting a wondrous old house full of headless bodies, floating skulls and spirits in a vibrant green and yellow stenciled cabinet. Add to that colorful PF art, the attic, the see-through window looking down into the basement where the ball is shot back at the player in reverse, and the eerie music of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor with two other spooky tracks that hit hard as you wander through the home. The single ball play feels like you're the only living soul making your way through the halls of this eerie abode.

All are welcome here, so make yourself at home. If you own the game, looking to buy, or just love the title, we encourage your input.

Let's keep this thread going to promote the mission of saving and playing this awesome one of a kind machine. Long live the HAUNTED HOUSE!

Haunted House (Gottlieb) (1982) Flyer - 1.jpgHaunted House (Gottlieb) (1982) Flyer - 1.jpg

1133f5.jpg1133f5.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Hell yeah, Konghusker! Project or plug & play?

#7 8 years ago

Same here Stretch. Bought mine in June, very dirty and neglected machine which sat in someone's basement for 27+ years. I got it all shiny and looking nice, now getting through the mechanical bugs and then she's ready to rock. I'm new to fixing pins, so going into it I knew it wouldn't be a quick turnaround for me. Patience is my savior right now.

Here is my thread documenting my restoration process. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bringing-a-haunted-house-back-to-life

Here is my game (lock down bar and glass off)...

Riverside Ave HH.jpgRiverside Ave HH.jpg

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

It's ready to go. Can't wait

Nice!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from arpman:

This is my first pin and project. One day, I will play....

Yes, one day we will play. Gearing up right now to put in a good work session on the HH tonight. Hoping to run through all connectors again with a closer eye, and I just bought a new DMM. Going to check everything with that one more time too. The one I was using didn't have audio continuity alert and was very very basic. I think I got it for free a long time ago at Ace Hardware or something.

I'm going in!!!!!!!!!

#15 8 years ago

Cleaned up nice! I love when they're found in neglected situations and then get raised from the dead. Makes it that much more special.

I'm in the market for an original backglass if anyone has an extra to sell. My original BG was bubbling a little, but not too bad. Then one night I had it off when I was fixing a 6 digit display a few weeks ago, and a freak accident with my dog and some blinds that came down had hit my glass putting a small ding in a noticeable area. 100% my fault to put the glass in a potentially compromised location, regardless if I only had it off for 2 minutes. Thats all it took for lightning to strike. LESSON LEARNED.

I then tried touching it up myself and that ended horribly. This is absolutely devastating to me because I was really loving that all parts from the game I rescued was able to be used and kept. Now, I have a near mint CPR repro I bought from someone, but it's just not the same. I want an original. It just makes it more special to me. I'm still mad at myself about it and I think I've gone through all phases of emotions when someone grieves a major loss... Never happening again.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

A household favorite.

Screenshot_2015-11-05-20-27-36.png

I like that!

#23 8 years ago

I started a separate thread about this, in hopes that it will reach enough people and maybe, just maybe, something comes from it.

But, I'm looking for a Gottlieb Haunted House that was purchased sometime in the late 90's (I believe) from a private seller's home in Catasauqua, PA (18032 zip). I know the last name/location of the owner that sold it and can verify that connection if any leads do come about. I'm pretty confident there aren't too many HH's sold in any one small town over the years, besides your major cities where several probably change hands over the course of a single year.

This game was in the collection (basement) of a childhood friend of mine in the early 90's, whose dad was into restoring hot rods, jukeboxes, pins, etc. I remember going over there to play it as a kid, and over the years kind of forgot about it as we grew up and moved on with our lives. One day last Spring I randomly thought of the game and became obsessed with learning everything about Haunted House. I asked my friend about it and he said his dad sold it years ago. Thats all I know. I eventually bought my own HH this past summer and the rest is history. Now, I'm hooked on pins, but thats a whole different story.

It would be amazing to have someone read this, and say "hey, I think i'm the one that bought that HH your talking about in [insert date]". Even if you (or they) aren't looking to sell, it would be awesome to know where that game went, and maybe one day when the time was right, I acquired it somehow for my collection.

Wouldn't that be an epic pin hunt if I actually found it? That would be "the one" that started it all.

#30 8 years ago

Can someone do me a huge favor, and at your next earliest convenience, please take a good photo of your prop-bar assembly. When I brought my game home for the first time, it was dirty all over and I stripped a lot of parts off for a deep cleaning. One of the pieces I didn't get a picture before taking it apart was the prop-bar nuts, screws, assembly in general.

Since putting it back together, my bar has been really loose, and basically falls down if I don't hold it up myself. If I recall correctly, these should be tight and need to be pushed down when not in use.

Thank you!

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

FWIW, mine has always flopped down without a playfield to hold it upright.

Ok, good to know, makes me feel better about mine. I still need a picture of someone's prop-bar parts, because I'm not confident I put the exact nuts and washers on that were originally there. I have the screw that was there, but for some reason I mixed up the washers/nuts/etc. Would love to get this back to normal.

Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

has anyone put led displays in? If so, how nice are they?

Personally, I like incandescents for this game and don't think I'll ever go to LEDs on it. That spooky victorian mansion vibe goes much better with the warm glow of the original bulbs. It reminds me of candle light, very fitting. But, let's say I got tired of changing bulbs one day and if I were to ever go with LEDs, I might opt for these (http://silverballmuseum.com/online-store) scroll down to see them. They're the closest thing to that vintage warm glow that I can find. Kind of expensive though.

#38 8 years ago

i meant led scoring displays!

Yeah, I see that now haha. Definitely just briefly glanced through your post and see that I missed the obvious word, displays.

#42 8 years ago

I need some help or advice regarding some final issues I'm trying to fix with my HH. I've spent a lot of time getting my HH project cleaned up and now just have this final hurdle to overcome to be officially finished and playing games.

FYI - I have a Pascal PI-80 installed in this game.

First, everything was working (lights, game boots up, sound, pops, flippers, kicking targets, VUK, bank resets, etc.) except for the main PF right side extra ball hole coil wouldn't fire to push the ball out of the hole. I replaced that coil and the transistor there, but haven't been able to see if that is fixed due to a current issue I will describe below.

Before I could see if that extra ball coil is now working, I was testing targets and pops by hitting them with a ball, and my kicking target #2 randomly fired rapidly if hit, then the pop bumper above it would randomly fire rapidly if target #2 was touched and on one of those rapid succession fires of the target #2 it locked on and I seen smoke come up from under there. Target #2's coil was unusually hot for a while after and eventually had to be replaced because the sleeve melted and wouldn't allow the plunger to lower. I've since replaced that coil.

Since then, none of the pops, kicking targets, upkickers, flippers, etc. will not work at all. But, Bank resets, free game knocker, coin door coil, etc. all seem to work.

I've checked all fuses (F1-F15) and nearly all coils test well for good resistance. No wires seem to be disconnected.

I did have a pin inside my A3-J4 connector that was loose and when pushed out of the connector, looked to be broken. Pictures of that below. I will replacing that pin tonight.

I ran the coil test on the pascal and here is what happened... Other coils not listed below do fire upon the test.

Coil 2: error 2

Coil 12: Nothing happens when I hit test, no error displayed and no physical coil activity

Coil 13 pnp: Nothing happens when I hit test, no error displayed and no physical coil activity

Coil 15 pnp: Nothing happens when I hit test, no error displayed and no physical coil activity

Coil 16 pnp: Nothing happens when I hit test, no error displayed and no physical coil activity

I did find this article with what seems to be a similar problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong here? http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.games.pinball/2009-01/msg15776.html

Also, I asked Pascal about the problem and he recommended I check the game over and tilt relays. The 24VDC coils power is fed thru them. But, I'm not really sure how to test those and currently researching how to review those parts.

Sorry, I'm a newbie, but totally in love with my HH despite this headache!!!!

Thank you to anyone who can help here.

image002.jpgimage002.jpg

image003.jpgimage003.jpgimage004.jpgimage004.jpg

#43 8 years ago

Also, in relation to my post above, despite the issue I'm having with power getting to those various coils, I am having a hard time re-pinning this connector A3-J4. I almost have to force the old pins out. The wire was able to be removed, but there seems to be some original piece of the original connector that won't budge from inside.

Can someone tell me how you remove the entire pin that is originally there? Does each slot have it's own pin, or are all the metal pins inside this connector interconnected somehow?

I also notice this new connector I bought from PBR (pictured below) is different than what is originally in the connector. The old setup has the insulated wire not stripped at all, and it's fed through the bottom of the pin that is split into two metal sides. Those sides grips the wire, rather than stripping it and sliding it up vertically toward the connector clip. Hope that makes sense.

Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 9.03.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-15 at 9.03.01 PM.png

#45 8 years ago

Sure do. Pictured below.

Great to hear I have the right pins to do the job. I'm having a hard time getting the original punch pin out of the housing. It's taking huge feats of strength to get it out, still not budging. I don't think it should be this hard, and because of that I'm probably doing it wrong.

Also, I know it's hard to say right now, because I may have something happening with my relays causing 24vdc to not get to the coils mentioned above, but with these pins in A3-J4 being loose or some pins setting back compared to others, could that cause the issues I'm having with no activity in pops, flippers, kickers, etc.? I notice on the Pascal board, my picture above, that this connector does in fact work with the Solenoids.

IMG_0096.JPGIMG_0096.JPG

#48 8 years ago

Thanks guys! No rush at all, and I'm going to buy the right one the minute it's posted. As you see, I'm still building my tool kit to work on my pins.

I'm still a little unsure on how to pop out those old punch pins that are in the connector. I'm literally using all of my strength to push it down through the bottom of the plastic housing and it won't budge at all. These come out one at a time, right?

Also, fingers crossed my solenoid issues are due to faulty pins in my connectors and everything comes back to life after a good re-pinning. I read over and over again that a lot of issues start in the connectors.

#50 8 years ago

Good to know. I'm gonna get another crack at them tonight. I was using a very thin allen wrench to get in there and push the tabs, but a small flat head might give me the leverage I need.

Thank you!

#54 8 years ago

Thanks Pinsonly - Thats a nice looking crimper.

#56 8 years ago

Damn those two look good together. I plan on getting my second pin soon, and really want something in the occult/paranormal theme (EATPM, TFTC, BSD) to accompany my HH, but every time I see a BH and HH together it makes me really want one of those next. There is actually a BH for sale sort of close to me, 100% working for around $1600.

Makes me pause every time.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I have been waiting to find hh as a must have next to bh. Love both of them. It's worth getting bh if you don't have one yet. I plan on doing LEDs to hh asap, as it made bh really shine with LEDs.

I know... I'm really debating it and might just pull the trigger on a BH, breaking my plan of getting one of the (3) eerie themes I mentioned above. I was just yearning for something with nice ramps and call outs, they're so satisfying! I have room right now for only one more game, and the BH definitely fits the budget more than a $2600-$3000+ game.

Oh and my next pin will be plug and play. This HH project is enough to handle right now. Next project will come in the future for me when I have a nice garage to work on them. Moving forward, if it's going into the game-room it should be ready to rock. I'm itching to play my HH.

#63 8 years ago

buy the BH. If you do it up right, you won't be disappointed. Anyone in pinball needs to go down the black hole road at least once. Mandatory.

I sent an email to the guy to see if it's still around. We'll see... I'm gonna sleep on it and think about if I really want to abandon the search for a Tales From The Crypt. I am a fan of System 80 games, and do see your point of owning the system 80 "brothers" of HH and BH as a right of passage. Plus, I'm getting used to my HH system 80 components and keeping my next game in that realm may help me wrap my head around everything some more.

I just want to check to see if the BH has little cosmetic damage and is mostly original. I'm a sucker for original parts.

#64 8 years ago

Hey guys, going back to the subject of the right crimpers to use for re-pinning the edge connectors. I've listed a few of the options below that I've come across or recommended to me. I'd like to get these either off Amazon (for speedy delivery) or Pinball Resource which is my normal shop for all things pinball.

Please let me know your thoughts if you can and I'll place the order tonight...

There is this tool off Amazon that looked good: http://www.amazon.com/HT-225D-Cycle-Ratchet-Crimping-interchangeable/dp/B007JLN93S/ref=sr_1_1

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 7.22.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-16 at 7.22.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-16 at 6.13.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-16 at 6.13.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-16 at 6.12.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-16 at 6.12.58 PM.png

#65 8 years ago

And if I do go through PBR for the crimper, I might as well grab a couple of other tools while I'm at it.

I'm looking to grab a light bulb changer pictured here. Has anyone used this tool and does it help?
Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 7.42.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-16 at 7.42.06 PM.png

Also, since I'm having trouble with the punch pins inside the connectors, maybe I should grab something for those too. Has anyone used any of these pin tools below? I don't mind calling Steve and just asking him either.
Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 7.41.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-16 at 7.41.57 PM.png

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Hey guys I am back to ask a HH question. I love my game but feel it would be cool to somehow modify or replace the sound board with added spooky sounds or even speech. Is this in anyway possible? Are their any aftermarket kits avail.? Would love to update this great game.
Thanks,
Rob

Check this out... Is this something that would interest you?

#75 8 years ago

buy the BH. If you do it up right, you won't be disappointed. Anyone in pinball needs to go down the black hole road at least once. Mandatory.

Well... After sleeping on it last night, I went ahead and put my deposit down for that Black Hole this afternoon! I wanted to continue the spooky paranormal pin theme as my next purchase, but there is arguably no better pin to accompany a Haunted House than it's older brother, the BH. These two are almost meant to be together.

I am feeling good that the BH is priced fair, and coming from a reputable/long running coin-op shop/retailer who is getting it bulletproofed and 100% working for me. The game has very little wear on cabinet or PF's, and all cosmetic parts are originals. I'll be picking it up in a week.

From what I understand, the ice is broken and now the obsession to buy more really ramps up once you get the 2nd game.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

LOL, collecting System 80 doesn't end with just a few, there are many more out there. I'll never quit.
Steve

Spirit is next! The Pinball Trifecta will be COMPLETE!!!! In my dreams... One day, I will have enough dollar bills to afford that beauty. Spirit is by far my Holy Grail pin.

Quoted from konghusker:

You'll love both. Bh and hh could be the best duo in all of pinball to have as a pair.

Agreed.

Quoted from gaspumprob:

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the BH! Now we will see a number 2 under games in your collection on your Avatar! Warning it only gets worse, next year you will be up to four of five possibly LOL
Rob

As soon as the game is in my home and plugged in, the avatar number will be changed. My fiance feels game number 3 or 4 is only a matter of time. I'm starting to save up for #3 now for when I hit the Allentown show this year...

Quoted from PNBLWZD:

They are both very fun games, congrats on adding BH to HH.
I think HH has better interaction between the 3 playfields, with the ball constantly moving up or down, but BH seems to play faster and meaner - plus BH has multiball of course.

I can't wait to put this theory to practice. Itching to play a game while my HH is still being resurrected from the dead. Soon they will both be ALIVE.

Quoted from Evilive69:

You beat me to BH. I had plans on visiting the guy about that machine this weekend.

I had a feeling it was being watched. I normally don't buy things that are this expensive and also come with a list of potential problems without seeing or playing with it first... But knowing what the Coin Op Doc stands for and his experience, I went with my gut and trusted it would be a stellar game being filtered through trusted hands...

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I'm lucky that I found all 3 before they became sought after.
Steve

Yeah... I'm late to the party.

#89 8 years ago

Question: My upper level post targets seem to have a hard time registering hits when contacted by the ball. During play, the ball will regularly hit the bank of targets, but will just bounce off and not register points or sound. When I test touch them with my fingers, it seems to works fine, points and sound are perfect. But during play the ball doesn't seem to do it right. It could be hitting the plastic piece above them, or the rubbers in between, but I feel the need to adjust them to be more frequently registered.

Anyone else here had to make this adjustment?

IMG_0130.JPGIMG_0130.JPG

#91 8 years ago

Thanks Steve. I'll try to use the card for cleaning and adjusting. Do you just use the card to swipe away any dirt back there on the switch, and then try to pull the switch parts closer together with one of those "L" tools?

Before I go and buy new ones, I'd like to try everything I can to get these actual targets to work better, since nearly 95% of my game is original parts. Trying my best to keep everything in tact like that.

#94 8 years ago

Perfect, thank you Steve!

Also, I posted this question in my other thread but it didn't get noticed.

When my trap door gets activated and opens, whether it be via the left side out-lane, or the gate, it makes a semi-noticeable humming noise like something is energized. Is this normal?

#96 8 years ago

Ok I'll take it apart for inspection and report back if I come across any issues.

I may do it in 2 weeks or so, since we'll have company over next weekend for my birthday and I want the BH and HH rocking. I'd hate to be in the middle of this project and rush to get it all wrapped up before hand.

Thanks again Steve.

1 week later
#99 8 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Do you other guys have to adjust the secret passage switch often? I cleaned it, and it normally works fine, but it seems to not register as much as it should. A fast shot goes through to quickly, and doesn't activate lower playfield. Any suggestions

When first shopping out my HH, I have cleaned the metal rails for the most part, but haven't taken apart the assembly of it all. I too have these fast shots miss the switch every once in a great while. I'd be interested in knowing what others have done to guarantee a hit.

#100 8 years ago

I am over 100 games into my HH with the Pascal PI-80 board and I literally have had zero issues with the board or not starting a game. Each and every time I power up or start a game, everything comes to live like it was 1982.

And, just yesterday, I dropped this beauty of a high score. Going to be hard to beat and I was so going for the 999,999 score to permanently be on display. It was a great game and I was able to secure 1 - 5 targets, slayed in the basement and did damage in the upstairs grabbing specials several times. After that, I got an extra ball on ball 2 around 700k and that set me up for success.

HH is so much fun and I'm getting good at knowing the shots and recognize the ball's behavior in this game.

IMG_0149.JPGIMG_0149.JPG

#102 8 years ago

I am pretty sure the pascal boards allow you to add a skill shot. I do know that you can add flashing effects when hitting targets and you can make specials and extra ball spots flash when active. In addition to this there is a huge list of audits to keep track of stats for your machine, lights/coils/switches/display tests galore, PB monitoring for locked on coils and a whole bunch of customizable ways you can run your HH.

I personally have my Pascal settings as close to the original boards behavior as possible. I'm an originalist at heart and only have the pascal because my original board had a little battery corrosion and I wanted the utmost reliability for years to come.

One day I will get my original boards fixed and put back in the game. But even then, I may still use the Pascal PI-80 because of how good it is.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: http://www.flippp.fr/pi80.php?lg=en

1 week later
#107 8 years ago

Hey Shacklersrevenge,

PM sent on that plastic piece. It's literally the last piece I need for my restore. Every other plastic piece of mine is in good original condition, minus a few dings and scratches that aren't noticeable. But my organ piece is broken in half and I just have the broken pieces on top of the reproduction plastic protector for that area holding it in place.

I'd be one appreciative fella if I were able to grab that from you.

Dave

#108 8 years ago

Hey guys - Turns out I was just a little late on that Secret Passage plastic and it sold before I reached shacklersrevenge. That guy is a great seller by the way. Anyways... I dreamed of finding that piece one day. If anyone ever has one for sale, in any condition, I'm a buyer. Even with scratches on it, it'll be better than the one I currently have (picture below).

Also, I'm still looking for an original backglass in good condition. I currently have a nice CPR HH glass in, great condition, but I'm a sucker for original stuff and would love to throw an original backglass back in.

My glass that came with the game was in fantastic condition, but a freak accident with our dog made a window blind fall down on it while I had it off for service and sitting on the couch. It put a nice ding in a very noticeable spot and I made it worse trying to touch it up. That day still breaks my heart. Lesson learned there is never ever put the glass in a place with even the slightest chance of something hitting it.

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 2.19.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-14 at 2.19.46 PM.png

#110 8 years ago

Yeah, I'm kinda sick to my stomach I missed it. It's literally the cherry to put on top of my completed project. But those are the breaks of the hobby I guess...

I would love one for now even if it was a scanned repro. But i'm not even sure how or where to go and have one made and make it look good.

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm really surprised just how much I love this game. I was worried about no multiball, but I really don't miss it in hh. I had planned on doing the MB/speech Mods, but I don't think it needs it. This game is really just fun and beautiful.

1.) I knew the game was gonna be fun going into buying one, but I am REALLY loving the gameplay, sounds and shots. It all just ties in so good together.

2.) I don't miss multi-ball either with this game, and I'm a believer in leaving it the way it was intended to be. Just a single soul (ball) roaming the bowels of an old haunted house racking up points. The speech sounds too robotic and the MB just isn't needed for this game to feel good. It's classic.

Also, with the speech, sitting HH next to a Black Hole I just wouldn't get the space theme out of my head if I heard both use the same sounds. I don't wanna go to space when I'm playing HH.

The only thing I wish HH designers did differently with this game, is add the metal swirl tunnel leading down into the basement like they have on BH. I feel this would save nearly all of the lower PFs from getting torn apart by that big drop down there. Other than that, perfection for an early 80's pin.

2 weeks later
#116 8 years ago
Quoted from arpman:

Anyone want to let me "hand scan" the rear of the backglass for my project?

Come over one night this week. Play some HH and BH and have a beer.

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from arpman:

I would love too - but your outside of my driving range of 50 miles, however that may change.
What do you think of the glass so far?

Your glass - looks amazing thus far. Very impressed at the work you're doing and the dedication to doing it yourself. Sorry I dropped out. Once I put my new CPR glass in I totally stopped worrying about it not being an original and just started enjoying the game and focusing on tweaking parts now that they're in full action.

If you change your mind on the drive It's always here for you to use. I live in the schwenksville, pa area despite my profile saying Allentown.

1 week later
#125 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Looks like the snow is melting enough ONE DAY before it ices and snows all over again, so I am going to try and move my HH in tonight.
Any leads on glass? Mine is scratched, Id really like a nice new piece. Any one know of a spot in Chicagoland? PBL only seems to have Williams widebody glass.

Nice man! Get it in and start playing. What better way to kick off the weekend, or ride out the next snow storm then putting time in on your HH. Hope someone can lead you in the right direction for new glass.

#126 8 years ago

So, with all the rumor talk of Stern creating a Ghostbusters pin in 2016, I definitely became interested in the idea. I really want to build a collection of paranormal/occult themed games, because I feel that theme is one of the best in the pinball world if you look at all the titles that have the 'monster' vibe.

I was searching google for any leaked images or information, and came across this youtube video of a simulated Ghostbusters table that Farsight Studios came up with for the Pinball Arcade back in 2014.

And guess which table is the main foundation for this game, the Haunted House.

Just thought I'd share for those who haven't seen this before. I think it's a nod of respect to the real Haunted House, because it's such an iconic game for this ghostly theme. Long the live the Haunted House!

Screen_Shot_2016-01-08_at_5.04.12_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-01-08_at_5.04.12_PM_(resized).png

1 week later
#141 8 years ago

So I had some friends over the other night to drink and play some rounds of HH, and one of them asked me why the order of the double bonus scoring lights above the 3 holes you encounter in the top left of the main PF are ordered wrong. I really didn't have an answer for him as to why they are like that, and it got me scratching my head why the designers would do this.

If you look at the picture below. The lights/labels above each hole do not match that hole's destination. Anyone else ever question this?

One would think it would be more intuitive to have the lights read from left to right: cellar / main floor / upstairs

IMG_0326_(resized).JPGIMG_0326_(resized).JPG

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

You could use an insert lamp instead of a GI so that it only comes on when a certain event happens.

Not to complain, because this is absolutely my favorite game of all time. This is just a 'what if' daydream and spark conversation. But it would have been amazing additions if Gottlieb did three extra things when producing this game...

1.) Added a lamp to come on or flash underneath the Secret Passage plastic area, say when there is double scoring in the basement. That area is too dark for how cool of a plastic and centerpiece it is.

2.) Added a ball guide leading down into the basement, like Black Hole does, and that would save 90% of our basement PFs

3.) Decal'd or painted the metal ramp leading to the attic to make it look like a real stair case

Other than that, this is 80's pinball perfection to me!

#150 8 years ago

Maybe off the arrow insert in front of the secret passage target? I dunno, I kinda want it lit all the time, that area is so dark and it drives me nuts.

I like this idea too. When the arrow is lit the plastic gets illuminated as well... And maybe flashes when double scoring or special is lit in the basement.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

If your still looking this e-pat auction ends in a few hours . . .

But beware, seller says the glass has no defects to the paint, but I clearly see a small hole in the screen print art just to the right of house and spirit woman in the doorway. I literally had this exact size hole in the same location, and due to the bright area it's in, it bothered the hell out of me. But I am picky when it comes to that.

That's all. If you have a glass that's flaking completely this is definitely a better option.

#156 8 years ago

Let's not disregard the "I heart Roger!" written in pink marker on the house too. I'm sure that can be easily wiped off, but I mean, really seller? You can't give it a wipe down before posting?

Screen_Shot_2016-01-21_at_6.43.01_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-01-21_at_6.43.01_PM_(resized).png

1 week later
#159 8 years ago
Quoted from arpman:

Anyone looking to buy?
chambersburg.craigslist.org link

I'm 90% certain this thing sold already. Seen it posted on several different classified spaces out there and heard it was sold. I could be wrong and definitely worth a shot sending a message if someone out there is dying to live in a Haunted House.

#160 8 years ago

ebay.com link: HAUNTED HOUSE Gottlieb Pinball Cushioned Flipper Armour Mod 4 sets

What do you guys think of these? I'm not one to do much modding and like my games looking original, I just think it's an interesting touch to add. Anyone out there have these on and like them?

s-l1600_(resized).jpgs-l1600_(resized).jpgs-l1600-1_(resized).jpgs-l1600-1_(resized).jpgs-l1600-2_(resized).jpgs-l1600-2_(resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#166 8 years ago

Can someone please help confirm something for me...

Does your HH backglass have (3) pieces of the plastic trim (left, right, top)? My game is pretty much all original and intact, but I only have two pieces that sit on the left/right side of my backglass. If there is supposed to be three, then one of them must have been lost somewhere along my game's lifetime.

FYI - I'm not including the actual metal lift trim that the backglass sits in when counting the number of trim to have.

Thanks!

1 week later
#173 8 years ago

Sorry for the delay in response here. Thank you everyone for shedding light on the trim. I'm going to hunt down a third if I can.

On another note, I have something else I'd love clarification on...

There is a clear post used on the very top of the main PF, see pic below. This post is located just above the exclamation point in Welcome! and attaches to the gate.

Do you guys have a standard 1" post there, or the taller 1-3/16" post? Pictures of both are below.

I ask because when I stripped my PF for a deep cleaning a while back, I swore the taller post went there to raise the gate. But after installing it, I noticed the plastic that sits above it rested on the top of the post, scratching the plastic and sort of looked unnatural the way I t sat on an angle. But when I put the shorter 1" post there, the gate sits lower and the ball could hit the top edge of the gate when being plunged. I'd hate to keep hitting the ball and creating dings that could eventually hurt my PF's.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#175 8 years ago

Did I not share my epic game I had a few weeks ago?

IMG_0017_(resized).JPG

That's a great score. I always tell folks that come over to play HH, do damage in the basement, get an extra ball, and anything can happen.

#181 8 years ago

Damn. I just checked PBR and they're out of stock right now. I bought one from them a few months ago, and hope they come back in. Always worries me to start seeing these unique parts dry up.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

There is a clear post used on the very top of the main PF, see pic below. This post is located just above the exclamation point in Welcome! and attaches to the gate.
Do you guys have a standard 1" post there, or the taller 1-3/16" post? Pictures of both are below.
I ask because when I stripped my PF for a deep cleaning a while back, I swore the taller post went there to raise the gate. But after installing it, I noticed the plastic that sits above it rested on the top of the post, scratching the plastic and sort of looked unnatural the way I t sat on an angle. But when I put the shorter 1" post there, the gate sits lower and the ball could hit the top edge of the gate when being plunged. I'd hate to keep hitting the ball and creating dings that could eventually hurt my PF's.
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

I just wanted to revisit this to see if anyone can take a peek at their PF and see if they have the 1" or 1-3/16" post attached to the gate above WELCOME!

I tried playing a few HH rounds tonight and noticed when my ball was plunged at full strength, now that I threw the smaller 1" there to test, it would smack the corner of the gate and didn't do that before.

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

Whilst reassembling my HH playfield, I found that I had two of these 1-3/16” posts with longer screws that I could not locate in the hundreds of photos taken before strip down. Just goes to show, you can never take enough pictures!
As you would know, the manual does not list these taller posts.
I think that the far top left plastic is deliberately cut back in the last inch from back lip, to allow for the plastic to bend upwards because of the higher post. I put a thin piece of sponge tape on the screw head to protect my new plastic set.
As far as googling research goes, apparently a second taller post should be installed where white arrow is.
Not sure if it is there to slightly slope the plastic in case of an air ball getting caught up on top, or for it to alleviate the nut pressure of the slitted plastic, covering the basement up kicker exit?

Quoted from Silver_Bullet:

OzPaul is 100% correct on the location of the two 1-3/16 posts; I just checked mine to be certain.

THANK YOU for confirming this for me. The bending of the plastic is what threw me off, as it seems so unnatural for it to do that, despite it being very clear they cut back that inch to account for the bending. Maybe it was an after thought and the lesser of two evils was to have the plastic bend, rather than the gate sit too low and smack the ball upon launching.

Also, great idea on adding a little foam piece on top of the screw to not scratch the plastic. I'm adding that to mine tonight!

1 week later
#189 8 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

Hello Guys,
I just got my first HH and is my first pin that I have ever owned. Always wanted to own a pin I have a feeling is not going to be my only one. Any suggestion for a new HH owner are welcome.

Hey Marmar! Welcome to the pinball community, as well as the HH Club. You'll really enjoy the hobby and will get sucked in real quick. The community is full of extremely helpful and nice folks.

You should probably just get ready for game #2 right now, cause it's gonna happen. The collecting of games and getting hyped up on the hunt is so contagious. I literally decided I was ready to get into pins almost a year ago, bought my HH in June 2015 and had zero plans of owning another. I just wanted to get to know HH as it is a childhood nostalgia title and told my lady that's all it was. Now I own a Black Hole that sits next to the HH and game #3 is coming any week now as I'm actively looking (TFTC or Devil's Dare). So... good luck!

HH was also my first pin too, a complete project I had to bring back to life and cut my teeth on (started a thread documenting the recovery project here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bringing-a-haunted-house-back-to-life) The experience of getting my hands dirty with an old game with as many flippers, PF's and other notorious problems was quite the reward once it was all said and done. It's also the favorite of the household no matter who's here. Granted I only own two games, HH always has someone on it when I throw a party.

Also, finding official parts for this game, I would definitely check out www.pbresource.com/hauntedhouse.html. And there are tons of amazing resources on the web for system 80 game repair. Hit me up if you ever have any questions or post them here. Someone will chime in with sound advice.

In regards to your question: I believe what you might have saw was a mod, but definitely send some shots of your game, or the game with the lights, if you'd like us to clarify.

Best of luck!

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from galaga50:

Hi all,
Whats the consensus on replacement MPU boards?
There's Pascal, Rottendog and Swemmer.
I need a new one, and am wondering what your thoughts/recommendations are.
Thanks

I currently own the Pascal PI-80 for my HH and it is 100% without a doubt the best investment I made for my game. My original boards had a few issues and a small amount of battery damage, but to get on with playing my game at the time, I decided to put the boards away to get fixed down the road and plug a Pascal in for now. I'm an originalist at heart so one day I might want them back in, but for now, the Pascal is kicking ass and there's a chance it may never come out.

According to my PI-80 analytics, I literally have over 1,050 games started or played and I am not joking when I say I have zero issues. I cannot report a time where the game acted funny or didn't boot, or had display issues or anything like that. The game powers up, starts games and reacts with a superb crisp quickness time after time after time. Only issues I've had were physical ones like a drop target breaking in half cause mine are all old, or having to adjust some switches. But the old system 80 board/ground problems just do not exist with the PI-80.

Not to mention the tests, diagnostics, customization of gameplay and more. I personally have my settings matching the original gameplay as much as possible, but having the options there is nice.

Hit me up if you have any questions or want to see it in action.

#194 8 years ago

Good timing. I was just about to post something here to start the discussion for LED options. I really want my game to be as original as possible, and if it were up to me I'd use incandescent because I like the warm glow. I think it fits this title real well, as if it's that spooky candle lighting.

But I ultimately want to preserve my game and the old bulbs hurt it over time and extended use.

So... What are the best LED's to have that vintage look, and be as close to old 47 bulbs as possible.

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from pindoc1:

BTW, did you ever find the original HH you were looking for? My game came from American Game Room, LLC in Fleetwood, PA.

Hey Pindoc1 - Are you referring to my search for the actual HH that was in my friend's basement growing up? If so, I haven't found it yet. But I am still interested in finding it and searching when I come across a PA based HH owner. I started a thread about it hoping it would gain some attention, but no leads have come in. It would be amazing to ever find that one.

#204 8 years ago
Quoted from pindoc1:

Yes, I was asking about your original game because mine came out of the Game Room store in PA and thought it might be possibly the one you are looking for. Any way to positively identify it?

I would LOVE to find that game. I have a message out to my buddy to ask his dad if he remembers anything about it, but I haven't heard back yet, so this reminds me to check back in. Thanks for resurrecting this hunt for me by asking about it. It started to slip my mind I was still needing that info on the game.

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Just joined the club. Mine with a n.o.s. new backglass, rebuilt power supply, new drop targets, plastics, rebuilt flippers, pops. Plays perfect. I thought Black Hole weighed a ton until I moved this beast.

12321263_10205627293069026_2551610214035781390_n_(resized).jpg12417575_10205627389671441_2656263186632166042_n_(resized).jpg

Sounds like a STUNNER. Congratulations and welcome to the club! Would love to see gameplay vids of your machine all rebuilt and punching that ball around like nobody's business.

I'm searching for a NOS backglass myself and can't wait for that to land in my arms. Just patiently waiting for the day.

On your HH and BH, do you have regular incandescent bulbs or LEDs? I'm in the process of making the decision if I want to switch from old bulbs to LEDs and for HH I really want something that looks as close to incandescent as possible, but for BH I might be willing to go with something different, like more blues and sharp whites.

#216 8 years ago

Leds in hh look great.

I know... I have to get on that train. It does look like fun customizing your game with eerie colors and accents. I'll eventually experiment with other colors, but I think to start, I'm going to go with retro style LEDs, like these here: http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc;jsessionid=179B7023E0C7D864654BC7180AACB60E.m1plqscsfapp02?productId=984&categoryId=150

Does anyone happen to know how many 44/47 bulbs are in the HH? Just curious as to how many LEDs I should order.

#218 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

No LEDs in Haunted House, just in Black Hole. I may add a few but not overdo it. I like the way it looks as the way I remember playing as a kid. The Black Hole just looked better with LEDs with the whole space theme of machine.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I want my HH to look classic, where the BH can get away with it due to it being space themed.

What type of LEDs are being used in your BH? In the link I shared above, under the retro style, they actually blues and crisp whites that still have a retro look.

1 week later
#234 8 years ago

Alrightttttt!.....I'm back in this thing. The guy who had the BH, well...he had a HH too that he sold me for $100012924502_10154025867733529_1273884734085156891_n_(resized).jpg

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Quoted from OzPaul:

Can I join the HH club?
I’ve been slowly working on my HH, touching up and clear coating all three playfields over the last twelve months.

That looks amazing. Nice work! I dream of doing that to my HH, maybe one day, with the help of an expert.. haha. Congrats and welcome.

#235 8 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

Hello Everyone,
As many of you have stated HH is a labor of love. I am having a problem I cannot figure out when the ball goes to the basement and when is time for the ball to come back to the main playfield the ball does not go up all the way and I noticed the score just keeps increasing on its own by a thousand without the ball in play. While the ball was trying to be sent up I noticed the smell of electrical burn. I checked the coil on the up kicker and it seems hot. Would like to know if anyone has any ideas or had this happened to any of you.
Thanks

It could be hitting the tube on the way up. It's hard to see, but make sure it has a clean shot up to the top. And your coil is getting super hot from the repeated attempts. There is a highly recommended mod to do and make your up-kicker reliable and use a PBDB to fire it.
Within this link is a nice run down of the VUK mod to do. http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=1821809

#236 8 years ago

Hey guys, I'm at PAPA for the first time, and I've seen pictures of this place before, but being here in person and seeing HH flying high amongst some of the greats in the rafters is AWESOME. I love that HH is represented like that among all of the other great titles to choose from all of pinball. Long live the Haunted House!

Also, the HH here at PAPA, kicked my ass, and I came in thinking I could give it a run for it's money. I guess I'm just so used to my machine at home, I suffered on this one. The main PF at PAPA is covered in full mylar and makes the ball super floaty. Strong flippers, but the mylar made the ball bounce airborne like crazy, and it was hard to control the way it would hit the simplest post and float all over the PF. Mine at home hugs the wood more and plays faster, and in essence, easier to control. It was quite the experience playing one in a whole different way. But nonetheless, I loved seeing it there.

3157510d96042281fe18cbe8f69890b92ba14241.jpeg_(resized).jpg3157510d96042281fe18cbe8f69890b92ba14241.jpeg_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#248 8 years ago

Hey Shacklers - I'm away from home for the night, but if someone doesn't respond to this by tomorrow late afternoon I'll get you a pic of mine.

Hopefully someone can chime in sooner if you're on a night shift shop session over there.

#251 8 years ago

Sorry for the delay here. I didn't get home as soon as I thought I would today. Here are some shots I was able to take of my wiring back there. I'm unable to move my main PF too far forward because of my low ceiling height, but I was able to stick a hand down there and grab some.

I hope these help. Let me know if you need more from different angles.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#252 8 years ago

Reached a new milestone last night on my HH and breached the million point mark. Stepped up for just one game and before I knew it, I had 400k on ball 1 with an extra ball waiting. That's when I knew topping my last high score of 960k's was possible.

On my final ball (3), I had around 920k and knew that all I had to do was plunge it and maneuver the ball into the basement hole to do the damage I need.

I didn't know what to expect when breaching the 999,999 mark, but since I have a pascal board it's able to compute and display the million. So for all that ever wanted to know, when you break a mill with a PI-80 board, it simply flashes the 1-mill and then shows the additional points behind it. So my score is 1,192,700.

Just curious, what happens when you breach 999,999 on the original boards? Does it automatically set back to 0?

1 week later
#257 7 years ago

marmar - It looks like that loose wire you have (purple/yellow/white) is different than mine. I have a blue/white wire coming off each lead of the switch for the trap door. But, based on your picture, the one wire goes from the switch to the middle lead of the coil, and that loose wire should get soldered to the right hand side of the coil leads as shown in the pictures soldered together with two other wires essentially making it 3 total on that far right coil lead.

You'll see in my photo below the two blue/white wires, one tying to the middle, and the other joining the two red/yellow/white wires on the right.

And on the picture showing the two blue/white wires soldered to the switch, the lead closest to the camera goes to the middle lead of the coil, and the farthest switch lead goes to the right hand side lead of the coil.

I hope my wording makes sense here and I'm hitting on the exact wires you're looking for...

IMG_0824_(resized).JPGIMG_0824_(resized).JPGIMG_0825_(resized).JPGIMG_0825_(resized).JPG

#259 7 years ago

This is amazing. My hat is off to you for owning this game from day one. I've always wondered what they went for back when they first were released.

Not to be rude and with all due respect, if you ever feel the urge to sell those PF's, please feel free to reach out to me, no matter how much time has passed. I dream of owning NOS HH PF's whether I eventually install them or not.

My HH, is one that I plucked from the depths of neglect out of a stranger's old dark basement and brought it back to life cleaning it piece by piece. Being that it's my first pin ever, and one that is my childhood favorite title, as of right now I feel that I will never sell my machine. I would rather upgrade it with NOS parts or PF's to keep it looking as good as possible, but keeping the bones of the original game I rescued as much as possible is important to me. My collection will never not have an HH. It's a special game.

Again, fantastic post!

#261 7 years ago

$2400! Wow. I'm shocked that's what new pins were going for in the 80s? I guess that makes sense since new pins these days go for $5k+.

You sir are very lucky. Great story.

3 weeks later
#268 7 years ago

Might have asked this before, but has any one installed new LED displays in their HH from this guy yet? Looks pretty nice...my player 4 display is still acting up, I may just replace them eventually with these. Thoughts?
http://www.bostonpinballcompany.com/displays.htm

I've only seen them on a Black Hole and it looked awesome. I think the same would be said if they were on an HH. One part of the BH setup I liked was that the new crisp lined numbers really fit the space theme, reminding me of what you would see on spacecraft control panels. Unless someone was specifically going for the original/retro look, I think in the end it would only be a positive upgrade for HH as well.

1 week later
#272 7 years ago

BEAUTIFUL game jmountjoy111! One day I will give my HH the royal treatment of a full teardown overhaul restoration.

I just got my HH a companion that matches the theme way better than Black Hole. Don't get me wrong, I loved the BH/HH combo, but there's nothing like having this theme stronger than ever with these two side by side! My Halloween parties are going to be KILLER.

But I will say, despite all the bells and whistles TFTC offers, I still have friends who come over and want to rock nothing but the classic feel and sounds of the HH.

Also, I never thought I'd do this, but I'm experimenting with LEDs now. I went warm retro LED everywhere I could for backbox/main PF GI and inserts to keep the original 80's flair of the game alive, but I went all green LED in the attic with one warm retro LED at the grandfather clock which throws a warm light on the drops and stand targets, and it also creates a shadow when ball is up there which looks cool. I'm flipping between warm retro or green for the Pop bumpers, can't decide yet.

Then, I went all blue LED in the basement which looks AWESOME. The ball down there almost glows and feels like you've entered a spooky subterranean space. Very happy with how that turned out.

I said from the gate with my HH, I'm staying as original as possible with old bulbs and parts to keep it true to '82 yadi-yadi-yada. Now, I've tasted the health benefits of using LED for the machine and all the fun in picking out the color schemes. I may never go back...

Long live the Haunted House!

FullSizeRender_(resized).jpgFullSizeRender_(resized).jpgFullSizeRender_2_(resized).jpgFullSizeRender_2_(resized).jpgIMG_0997_(resized).JPGIMG_0997_(resized).JPGIMG_0992_(resized).JPGIMG_0992_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#276 7 years ago
Quoted from marmar:

Dave -- The addition of TFTC brings the theme together. I just got the new Ghostbusters and have it next to my HH. I will post pictures soon. I went with the color changers for the Pop Bumpers on the main playfield and in the attic as well they look cool changing colors as you play. I have to say the blue in the basement look great where did you find the 313 Blue LEDs?

Dude, GB next to HH would look awesome as well. That's a new dream pin of mine added to the wish list.

I'm going to experiment with RGB color changers in the 3 pops on top, as well as the two illuminated posts at the top of the main PF to see how that looks. I'm thinking sometime next week I'll be throwing them in.

The blue in the basement looks even better in person and I notice my spiderweb is causing a crazy glare in the pic, and I am very happy with how it turned out. Actually, I still have the original 28v 313 bulbs with green condom rubbers on them that shine down on the basement PF. Everything else in the basement is a blue tower or dome LED. The green glow from those give a little contrast to the blue.

My buddy owns an LED company and so I'm just waiting on them to get the 28v LEDs in. I know I can grab them elsewhere, but I want to support his company and just going to wait. I'm not too concerned though. Those 28v bulbs don't really stay on long, nor do they flash during attract mode or touch any plastics to get too hot.

#277 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

In the meantime, I'm also looking at some cosmetic things also. I'm missing the right and top trim on the backglass. Looks like these aren't available from any of the usual suspects including PBR. Any suggestions? Are there any alternatives that someone has used?

I forgot to respond to this sooner... I would hit up Gatecrasher here on Pinside. He fabricates backglass lift channels and the trim to go on all sides of the backglass.

1 week later
#279 7 years ago

Here's a little tip that may spare some headaches for any new HH owners or someone who is replacing parts on their game for the first time. Where you see that bubble wrap sticking out is what I call "the hole."

When I was refurbishing my HH, I can't tell you how many screws, washers, bulbs, etc. I had slip out of my hands and roll down under the wooden plank you see there. Such a pain to get them out since you can't shine a light down there and can't reach a human hand back there to retrieve it. I had to concoct some sort of adhesive at the end of a stick and try to grab whatever rolled back there by feeling it out and luck.

One day I had enough and stuck bubble wrap in there so now everything is blocked at the entrance.

You'll thank me later.

2 months later
#288 7 years ago

I'm testing camera angles with my iPhone attached to a camera tripod to film some pinball action for fun. Racked up this 1 million point game on the first take and thought I'd share with the club. Managed to get the #1-5, and wanted to do it on one extra ball. Damn specials weren't wanting to drop and I started to aimlessly twiddle around the main PF a little too much in the end before dying. This game is a lot of fun.

Pictured below, I pretty much finalized my LED lighting package for the HH. Warm White LEDs throughout the backglass, main PF GI and inserts. The attic has a mix of warm white and green SMD for accent, and using blue 5SMD towers and 2SMD blue LEDs in the basement, along with green 28 volt LEDs from Cointaker to shine down on the basement and that looks great.

The only thing I'm still not 100% sold on is using 4SMD green LED for the pops. There's something about the original-like glow of using warm white in the pops that I miss and make the game feel right. I'll let the green pop experiment continue for a little longer.

IMG_1407 (resized).JPGIMG_1407 (resized).JPG

IMG_1309 (resized).jpgIMG_1309 (resized).jpg

#289 7 years ago

Hey guys, I have a question... When legitimately going for the public high score on a game like HH, what is the proper etiquette regarding extra balls?

Should you avoid getting more than one to have more legitimacy in the feat or if the game's rules gives chances for more than one extra ball throughout the entirety of the game, you take what you can get and its fair game to do the high in however many balls you can accomplish to secure. Thoughts?

I have a Pascal board all in one, and so I can alter the settings, but currently I have it set to you can win no more than one extra ball per ball, but you can light up the hole and shoot for another extra the very next ball. I believe that's the standard setting, right?

#292 7 years ago
Quoted from ullsokken:

The "secret passage" and the small candle beside it.
Anyone with some extras or better ones out there?

And the same for a flippp All-in-one combo board, downside and/or advantage?

The HH project I rescued had the same issue, broken secret passage and a little battery leakage. They're difficult to find, but I ended up spotting one on eBay months later. I do plan on refreshing all of my plastics with a new set sometime soon, and if I do, I'll give you a heads up first. If money isn't an issue, and HH is a keeper, I would suggest grabbing a fresh set from PBR. New plastics can really set the game off.

I went with the Pascal (flipp) PI-80 all in one board and I absolutely LOVE IT. The game is now rock solid reliable, never had a single issue starting up or playing and the extra menu options and settings are awesome. It was the best decision to make in my opinion.

The advantage with the PI-80 is that you can guarantee all the boards used to run the game are now updated in one shot, and you clear up any of the grounding issues the game originally had. The NI-Wumpf will still need to have those addressed if I'm not mistaken, and the components on the PI-80 are all socketed for easy exchange should you ever need to. Which I doubt you will. Pascal is reachable for help via email if something's not right and it's overall the best quality.

#294 7 years ago

I recently bought a lower PF from a fellow pinsider and it just arrived. It's in good condition overall, despite a few dimples from the ball drops and a very minor amount of wear.

Luckily, this was Mylar'd a long time ago just after the wear was starting to show, and preserved everything for the most part. I'll eventually get to swapping it out for mine, which has the actual circular wear to the wood marks.

I'm just not sure how I want to go about it. Should I personally peel the Mylar, touch up the paint and then clear coat? Should I send it off to an expert?

If it was main PF, I wouldn't mind spending extra and having some top notch guy like Kruzman work his magic, but it's such a hidden part of the game and a majority of it can't be seen.

I'm torn on what to do...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#307 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Just joined the club this past weekend!!! Had an HH before that was a train wreck, and now have a really nice example. Very psyched to get it in the horror pin line up. Decided to go with blue LED's in the cellar (thanks davebart).

Welcome Colson! That's a nice looking HH you have there. I can't wait to beat up on it and put something unreachable in the score displays...

#309 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Good luck with that......LOL. I'll be setting the high score this weekend, and I'll make sure it's something you can't get close to (unless you use 5 balls).

I'm a 3-ball assassin thank you. See you soon. Glad to finally have you join the club!

1 week later
#313 7 years ago

Hey Chitown,

I can definitely open mine up later today and take some shots for you. I think if you use the open no-dome SMD's, you should avoid the hot spots.

I'll also nudge ColsonD, who is now an HH owner, an LED fanatic and partner in Lights Out Pinball. He might have some good insight looking at his machine and seeing what would work best.

Stand by.

1 month later
#317 7 years ago

I've always wanted to grab one of these and finally found one on eBay for a fair(ish) price. Definitely cooler than your average pin flyer!

Most are two flat pages, front and back. So of course Haunted House has a flyer as big as this back in the day.

Any pin loaded with 3 PF levels, 8 flippers, 2 VUK'S, 2 transport tubes and 2 hidden trap doors trying to stretch the operational limits of the early 80's, should be featured in a 4 page flyer with a 3D front page cutout.

Like the game itself, this one's a keeper.

IMG_2097 (resized).JPGIMG_2097 (resized).JPG
IMG_2098 (resized).JPGIMG_2098 (resized).JPG
IMG_2099 (resized).JPGIMG_2099 (resized).JPG

#319 7 years ago

Hey, any one have a good fix for the VUK from the basement? I had a party this weekend and it was having a hell of a time getting back up. Took about 7 trys some times.

I hate it when all goes well most of the time, but when it's lights camera action and you have a party, things start acting up.

The first thing I would look at is the tube alignment and make sure the ball is not hitting the sides of the tube on its way up. Also look at the lower PF alignment and make sure it's sitting correctly. This could be adjusted one day, and then out of nowhere get un-aligned by people nudging the game or when you may have moved the bottom PF at some point.

A lot of people do the VUK mod to have it be fired by a pop bumper driver board. Here's a good post describing it.
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=1821809

I haven't done the mod yet to mine, one day I will for better reliability and it's easier on the machine to fire it that way. Mine works most of the time and well, but I do have the occasional snag when the tube gets out of alignment.

4 weeks later
#328 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

Trying to chase down an issue and hoping folks might be able to give guidance or take a picture next time someone has their upper flayfield flipped up.

Hey Jeff, sorry to say I don't have my upper PF off at this moment, but let's hope someone on here does soon and you can get this solved. If no one comes through in some time, I'll make it a point one night to yank mine off and take some shots.

In the meantime, I do happen to have some pics of when I had the upper off to replace my bank of drop targets. Whenever I do something big to the game, I take pics and document it in this thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bringing-a-haunted-house-back-to-life) and figured it be worth a shot to send these your way.

Perhaps you can zoom in and see what you need to in one of these photos.

IMG_0527 (resized).jpgIMG_0527 (resized).jpg

IMG_0528 (resized).jpgIMG_0528 (resized).jpg

#330 7 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

Does anyone have pictures or part numbers for the mechanism to lock the back glass? It was missing when I bought mine and I want to get one.

Did you try Steve young at PBR yet for this? Perhaps he knows off the top of his head.

If not, I can see if my actual lock device has any numbers on it.

#338 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I think it wouldbe too much work to convert it to multiball, not to mention that you would never be able to take it back to original once you modify it . I thought about just adding just the speech to mine, but in my opinion, the robotic sounding voice doesn't do it justice.

Agreed 10000% about the robotic voice not meshing here. Although I do applaud and appreciate anyone who puts time and energy into advancing this game for others. Just not my thing.

Quoted from 27dnast:

So who has installed the Pascal boards on this game to get multiball? I'm really curious how that's integrated into the game...
I'm assuming you can play the original single ball version of the game with that board installed?

I have the PI-80 running in my HH, as well as (4) Pascal pop bumper boards and I have to say it was a great investment. My game has never missed a beat and fires up with a quickness, and I'm confident it will for a very long time. His products are top notch.

With that said, around the time I purchased my boards, I do remember him telling me via email I needed to pick a version (single or multi) and that a multiball capable board will not work on a stock HH. If I wanted to upgrade later, I would just send my daughterboard in for a free update. He did say a newer version of the PI-80 was being released later that year (2015) and both will be available at the same time with no need to get an update.

For me, I just don't want to hack up my game to accomplish it. I wish there was a different way, and it would've been awesome if Gottlieb integrated this from the start, but I sort of like the lonely soul of a ball roaming the old Haunted House.

I also wish they incorporated a metal tube to lower the ball into the lower PF like they did on Black Hole. That would have saved so many PF's... But that's a conversation for another day.

IMG_2688 (resized).jpgIMG_2688 (resized).jpg
IMG_2693 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_2693 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_2692 (resized).jpgIMG_2692 (resized).jpg
IMG_2687 (resized).jpgIMG_2687 (resized).jpg
IMG_0997 (resized).JPGIMG_0997 (resized).JPG
IMG_1407 (resized).JPGIMG_1407 (resized).JPG

#339 7 years ago

Here are some videos showing examples of both the speech and multiball for those who never seen them.

SPEECH:

Multiball: although it's on a Haunted Hotel which has absolutely horrendous sounds, this gives you an idea what it would play like.

(skip to 1:10 for the start of MB)

3 weeks later
#351 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

All I really need is a pic of how your bridge rectifiers are wired in. Could someone please post a pic?

I'll try to get a good pic of mine sometime this evening and post it here.

#358 7 years ago
Quoted from bklossner:

I am attaching some photos of the bridge rectifier setup in my HH.
I hope this helps.

Thanks for grabbing this. I fell behind on it this weekend and was just about to pop the hood to take the shots.

And thanks again for all of your help and advice back when I was ressurecting my HH from the dead. The thing has always played great and it's gotten a lot of use.

2 weeks later
#360 7 years ago
Quoted from Doberbane:

My wife and I got each other a Haunted House for Valentines day, so here we are in the club! It's in pretty good shape

Congratulations and welcome to the club! That's a nice looking HH you have there. Your PF's look to be in amazing shape.

I just wanted to say welcome and I'll let someone else chime in on connecting the ground mod to your rottendog MPU, as I'm not familiar with that board myself and where to connect the ground.

4 weeks later
#374 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

This is the third Haunted House I've restored, and it's the nicest one by far!

Nice man! I love to hear these words in the same sentence - Haunted. House. Restored.

I love mine, but one day I want to upgrade to a restored version or give mine the royal treatment and have it professionally done. It's a keeper title for me.

Congrats and enjoy it!

#379 7 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Yup, that is what I tried before and on my machine the bulb sockets are so far down in the holes that the plastic lip on the bulb gets in the way so I can't push the bulb in down far enough to turn it.

Now this paints the picture as Yonizzell said as well. I've had the same issue and simply had to switch to a different LED type or different manufacturer to find ones that fit. If the base of the bulb is too fat to fit in the hole, there's nothing you'll be able to do to make it go down far enough to grab. But if it's due to the plastic dome on top of the LED, I would opt for a no-dome type of LED if you could.

When we hang sometime I'll bring my little box of LEDs and try different types out for you. But you may have this problem solved by that time, but either way I'm happy to help.

I'm all for incandescent because I love the original warm glow, but I "saw the light" eventually and switched to all LED. It really is so much better and you can trust it's healthier for the game and you wont have to worry about dying bulbs. Unless you want those incandescents in, trial and error until you find the right LEDs to fit will be your best bet. No sense settling for the old bulbs if you really don't want them in.

#380 7 years ago

Oh and Pennsylvania, represent! We've got a few of us on here.

#382 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

You can choose warm white LEDs and still keep somewhat of an original look to your machine- that's what are used on the main playfield of mine and it looks pretty good!

Yup, exactly what I did. Found retro looking warm white LED's and their perfect. The way I approach a game is this... cool vs warm. What is my base color? Cool or warm? I don't like mixing the two.

My HH, because of the nostalgia I have with it and the opportunity to keep it as original as possible parts wise, I opted for that game to have a warm LED base and then I sprinkled in areas of color LED's to accent certain features (attic, basement), but all other main PF GI and inserts are all warm using the same company and style for cohesiveness. I also think the warm tone matches candle light you'd expect to use or see in an old rickety haunted house too.

My TFTC, I went with a cool base for that and again sprinkled in color in key places for accent. I may switch that back to warm since that's my favorite color scheme for pins, due to that's how they were off the factory line, but for right now it's working well and the cool fits the eerie spooky vibe of the game.

2 weeks later
#396 7 years ago

Here's a pic I have of that area from when I was first pulling parts off to shop mine out.

Let me know if you want me to go pull my plastic off for a new shot from a different angle.

IMG_2480 copy (resized).jpgIMG_2480 copy (resized).jpg

1 week later
#403 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Here's a HH I just finished restoring. I have had three of them and this was the nicest one by far.

Very nice! The game looks phenomenal and every inch of it is nice and shiny. Your main PF looks flawless.

It's ready for marathon gaming sessions now. Great work man.

#406 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Hi HH owners,
Would anyone else like Playfield Protectors to make a protector for Haunted House? Please register your interest here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-would-like-to-see-a-playfield-protector-for-haunted-house#post-3731920

Voted yes. Thank you for pushing this initiative. I'll support anything that promotes the longevity and long term care for this unique machine. LONG LIVE THE HAUNTED HOUSE!

2 weeks later
#412 6 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

If you are talking about the #5 kicker then mine slams, sometimes right down the center drain

Same here. It's purposely placed there to be a bit of a gamble shot. All of those kicking targets should smack the ball back away from the target pretty forcefully after contact, but that damn #5 sometimes hits the hardest due to it's straight up the PF position.

#414 6 years ago
Quoted from Jinroh:

I don't own a HH but love it to death. Would love to have one someday. My uncle bought his from TNT Amusments in the early 90s and I played it every chance I got.
Love the PF (all 3 of them), the sound, everything about it is just phenomenal. Never gets old. It scared me as a kid, that one ghostly whine sound it makes creeps me out, but that's part of the charm.
I love seeing all your beautiful HHs. Brings a nostalgic tear to my eye. Just had to share my love for this game. <3

Your story here is almost exactly how my love for this game came about... Friend up the street growing up, his pops was into pins, hot rods and jukeboxes. He had a Volcano, HH and maybe one other title in their basement, but the one that stood out the most and left an impression on me was HH just as you described. One day just a few years ago, sitting on my couch, I remembered the game out of the blue, researched everything about it, found a forgotten one in a dank basement in Long Island, bought it, fixed it up, and now I'm hooked on everything pinball.

LONG LIVE THE HAUNTED HOUSE!!!!!

1 week later
#419 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Now on this HH. I skimmed manual but need some help. Am I looking for a pre driver trans and then the Trans on the board? Any help (and updated part numbers) I would appreciate.
Thx Mike

Hey Mike, let me pull out my manual, as it's an updated spiral bound one from PBR. Hit me up if you haven't figured this out yet and I can dig into the book for you.

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from mwelliott99:

Can you tell me what LEDs I should order and how many I need? Also what are #455 blinkers in the top box and how do you do this? I've seen HH led packs but they are very expensive (over $200) and I don't know whether they have the right LEDs so want to select manually.
I did the LEDs on my Roadshow but think the colour is a bit harsh. On an older game like HH I think it's really important to use warmer lights so all help appreciated!
Thanks. Matt

Hey Matt, welcome to the club! You said you have the Flipp board, and I'm assuming you mean the Pascal PI-80. If so, you're in great hands, as I too have the all-in-one running and I couldn't be happier with the consistent bulletproof performance.

Regarding LEDs, it's a bit of a personal touch, and everyone will be different, but I would avoid going with the expensive kits and order what you need yourself. It's more fun that way.

Personally, I like to go either warm white or cool white as my base canvas for any game, I never mix the two. Then sprinkle in a little accent of color somewhere if you like, or keep it all white for the original look. For me, I added a touch of green to my attic and blue for my creepy basement.

Everything you'll order for this game will be the bayonet bulbs. There are no wedge type bulbs used on this game.

I chose warm white as my color base because this game screams a vintage warm glow look to me. But that's just my personal thought. I would peruse the various sites (comet, cointaker, Lights Out, etc) and grab the amount you need for each bulb type. My good buddy runs Lights Out and so I would suggest supporting them but really any of them will have good stuff.

Starting with inserts under the PF. Count up how many you'll need by looking at the PF itself and decide if you want to color match any of them. I went with vintage warm white LED's for all of mine and didn't color match on this game. There may be a few inserts where you'll want to buy the flex head bulbs that bend so you get a good shine in the hard to reach spots.

From there, look at your PF General Illumination and tally up what you'll need. Based on what you said about liking the warm vintage look any of the companies above will offer a warm white bulb that mimics the old ones. Maybe go 2SMD dome warm white for your PF GI. But again, the more SMD the brighter it is. Sometimes the 4SMD no dome bulbs can be blinding if they happen to be in view of the player. Generally the main level PF and basement PF GI lights aren't seen by the player, but the attic bulbs under the plastics are and they can be too bright to the eyes.

I find that behind the backglass, using the 4SMD no dome warm white bulbs work the best to distribute the light properly, as the dome types can sometimes leave a circle or ring in the art and that's just how they project the light through the dome.

You'll need (3) 455 LED blinker bulbs for the and backglass and you can find those in warm white.

You'll need (8) 313 LED bulbs for the lights that illuminate down onto the basement, and they make those in warm white or colored as well. I went with green for those and it looks sharp glowing down on my blue GI in the basement.

Other than that, it's all standard #44/47 LED replacement bulbs all throughout the game, and have fun making this a personal touch by you. I recently had green in my pop bumpers to match my green attic and then just switched them back to warm. It's fun to play with the look.

Let us know if you have any questions, or if I happened to miss anything here.

IMG_1308 (resized).JPGIMG_1308 (resized).JPGIMG_1313 (resized).JPGIMG_1313 (resized).JPGIMG_1314 (resized).JPGIMG_1314 (resized).JPGIMG_1298 (resized).JPGIMG_1298 (resized).JPGIMG_1295 (resized).JPGIMG_1295 (resized).JPG

3 months later
#455 6 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Ugh my haunted house just took a big fat dump on me tonight. Turned her on and the displays were all out and the sound is also out. This damn thing is killing me! I have a brand new pascal board. Also middle playfield locks out at times and it thinks the ball is in the cellar when it is not! Replaced all diodes related to the cellar switches with absolutely no changes. Also all brand new bridge rectifiers replaced a week ago.? Bang head against wall repeat!!!!

Hang in there brother... We'll get it figured out. Mine happened to do nearly the same thing. My displays are out all of a sudden, and I've been noticing my sound kicking out and making odd noises before kicking out. Something is definitely up. And I too have the Pascal Board.

Let's chat!

#456 6 years ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

Hi there, just joined pinside and just picked up a Haunted House. On the right side of the cabinet the is a little metal plaque riveted to the side that says Prop No. 33595. Anyone have any ideas what it is from? Anyway lots of work to do on this pin so I'm sure I'll have questions. Thanks

Nice man! Welcome to the club. Despite some regular issues that pop up, and this being a wide and heavy SOB, it's a great game that attracts house guests of all ages. It's a classic.

My guess for your game is that it may have been used in a large scale haunted house attraction that required them to inventory their decor, maybe a traveling carnival, or even a movie. I believe a Haunted House was featured in the movie The Toy (1982) starring Richard Pryor. I attached two photos showing the game in the background of the kid's game room from the film. Do some digging!

MV5BMzg3YjM4NGMtMDg5Yi00YmVlLTlmZWYtYzMyYjFhODEzNzBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,962_AL_ (resized).jpgMV5BMzg3YjM4NGMtMDg5Yi00YmVlLTlmZWYtYzMyYjFhODEzNzBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,962_AL_ (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

11 months later
#563 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Hello, You sound like you were having the same issue I recently started having. Everything was working fine, then all the sudden most of the solenoids don't work. The bank resets, free game knocker, coin door coil, ball kicker (starting of game) and a few others do, but flippers/upkickers/some drop targets (mostly the bottom field) no longer work.
I've read through this but not seeing what you found to resolve it?
Thanks!

Sorry man, I must've forgot to update it here. I had a side thread regarding my HH's revitalization and finished the story there.

At that time, it was several issues plaguing my game. First was the A3-J4 connector needed to be re-pinned. My Q Relay was closed stuck and I cleaned the contacts for the switches in the bank of relays. The fuse for the pop bumper in the lower PF needed to be reseated, and one of my Pascal pop bumper boards was a dud. Pascal sent me a replacement and all is well.

#565 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Thanks, well that scares me
Seems 3 of my machines all decided to have issues about the same time and I've never had to really do much electrical work on them in the past. Talk about a crash course.

Have no fear. It can seem overwhelming to have a pile of problems, especially on multiple machines. Pinside is a treasure trove of resources and you'll get everything settled down just in time for the next wave of headaches. Fun!

1 week later
#568 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Seems that for my issue, just reseating the CPU/Driver connection resolved the issue for the moment! Guess I need to take a look at the connectors. At least it was nothing serious.

Yes, with system 80 titles, the first thing that comes to mind with most problems is connectors, connectors, connectors... From there, I look at the relays and so on.

Glad you got it sorted out! Now go roll that thing and get to 999,999!

#569 5 years ago
Quoted from mwelliott99:

#HauntedHouse Think I've got a problem with a relay. My HH starts ok and plays until the ball drops to the lower play field. Sometimes when it's back on the main play field it doesn't reactivate the main play field solenoids etc and the basement remains lit/active. Sometimes it's ok but when the ball drains and then is pushed out to the plunger the game immediately goes into basement mode again. The only way to reset is to turn off/back on. I can't work out which relay/switch is at fault (game has a Pascal board).
Fuse F10 blew recently for no apparent reason but this may be unrelated.
Any ideas?
Matt

Let me mull this over for a bit. If you suspect anything has gone wrong with the Pascal, I would reach out to him via email and just see if by chance this issue you're having is related to the board. You never know. He may have seen it before or have some insight. Due to the board's quality it could be unrelated, but it's worth a shot. I feel as if something with the relays don't seem right.

#571 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Hah. As I was researching this I found that mine has never had the ground updates, and it still has the old orange caps so I have a bit of work to do. The #2 bat kicker goes into rapid fire

Yes, I would replace the orange cap and do the ground mods if you’re running original boards and that could or should iron out some wrinkles.

I also want to say my #2 bat target also did the rapid fire when I was first fixing up my game, but I can’t recall how exactly I fixed that since it’s been a few years. I’ll try to remind myself.

1 month later
#596 5 years ago

300 lbs would be my best guess.

4 months later
#649 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Having some problems with my sound, it goes in and out. Most of the time it just stops working completely.. Any thoughts? Thanks!

This happened to me and it ended up being a connector on the sound board. Have you replaced those connectors yet?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davebart5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-club-the-beautiful-beast-all-welcome?tu=davebart5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.