40BADF05-370A-4CF9-903A-869AB9161A97 (resized).jpeg
0CC74C5D-BFBD-4551-B004-95510375A1FB (resized).jpeg
20E2D40E-DC0D-40B1-BFA3-35A5AFA6AD32 (resized).jpeg
2D44A099-A330-4031-A82F-313138613350 (resized).jpeg
F78436B5-010D-4098-AA79-9DA49692E95E (resized).jpeg
25ED4B57-8CAA-448C-B200-FBC600048466 (resized).jpeg
4AD69A75-3665-4588-B0A3-86415AAE590B (resized).jpeg
9AB6E0D5-5359-45FC-A7DB-80AA24D65F97 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#562 5 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

I need some help or advice regarding some final issues I'm trying to fix with my HH. I've spent a lot of time getting my HH project cleaned up and now just have this final hurdle to overcome to be officially finished and playing games.
FYI - I have a Pascal PI-80 installed in this game.
First, everything was working (lights, game boots up, sound, pops, flippers, kicking targets, VUK, bank resets, etc.) except for the main PF right side extra ball hole coil wouldn't fire to push the ball out of the hole. I replaced that coil and the transistor there, but haven't been able to see if that is fixed due to a current issue I will describe below.
Before I could see if that extra ball coil is now working, I was testing targets and pops by hitting them with a ball, and my kicking target #2 randomly fired rapidly if hit, then the pop bumper above it would randomly fire rapidly if target #2 was touched and on one of those rapid succession fires of the target #2 it locked on and I seen smoke come up from under there. Target #2's coil was unusually hot for a while after and eventually had to be replaced because the sleeve melted and wouldn't allow the plunger to lower. I've since replaced that coil.
Since then, none of the pops, kicking targets, upkickers, flippers, etc. will not work at all. But, Bank resets, free game knocker, coin door coil, etc. all seem to work.
I've checked all fuses (F1-F15) and nearly all coils test well for good resistance. No wires seem to be disconnected.
I did have a pin inside my A3-J4 connector that was loose and when pushed out of the connector, looked to be broken. Pictures of that below. I will replacing that pin tonight.
I ran the coil test on the pascal and here is what happened... Other coils not listed below do fire upon the test.
Coil 2: error 2
Coil 12: Nothing happens when I hit test, no error displayed and no physical coil activity
Coil 13 pnp: Nothing happens when I hit test, no error displayed and no physical coil activity
Coil 15 pnp: Nothing happens when I hit test, no error displayed and no physical coil activity
Coil 16 pnp: Nothing happens when I hit test, no error displayed and no physical coil activity
I did find this article with what seems to be a similar problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong here? http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.games.pinball/2009-01/msg15776.html
Also, I asked Pascal about the problem and he recommended I check the game over and tilt relays. The 24VDC coils power is fed thru them. But, I'm not really sure how to test those and currently researching how to review those parts.
Sorry, I'm a newbie, but totally in love with my HH despite this headache!!!!
Thank you to anyone who can help here.

Hello, You sound like you were having the same issue I recently started having. Everything was working fine, then all the sudden most of the solenoids don't work. The bank resets, free game knocker, coin door coil, ball kicker (starting of game) and a few others do, but flippers/upkickers/some drop targets (mostly the bottom field) no longer work.

I've read through this but not seeing what you found to resolve it?

Thanks!

#564 5 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Sorry man, I must've forgot to update it here. I had a side thread regarding my HH's revitalization and finished the story there.
At that time, it was several issues plaguing my game. First was the A3-J4 connector needed to be re-pinned. My Q Relay was closed stuck and I cleaned the contacts for the switches in the bank of relays. The fuse for the pop bumper in the lower PF needed to be reseated, and one of my Pascal pop bumper boards was a dud. Pascal sent me a replacement and all is well.

Thanks, well that scares me

Seems 3 of my machines all decided to have issues about the same time and I've never had to really do much electrical work on them in the past. Talk about a crash course.

1 week later
#567 5 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Have no fear. It can seem overwhelming to have a pile of problems, especially on multiple machines. Pinside is a treasure trove of resources and you'll get everything settled down just in time for the next wave of headaches. Fun!

Seems that for my issue, just reseating the CPU/Driver connection resolved the issue for the moment! Guess I need to take a look at the connectors. At least it was nothing serious.

#570 5 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Yes, with system 80 titles, the first thing that comes to mind with most problems is connectors, connectors, connectors... From there, I look at the relays and so on.
Glad you got it sorted out! Now go roll that thing and get to 999,999!

Hah. As I was researching this I found that mine has never had the ground updates, and it still has the old orange caps so I have a bit of work to do. I'm also going to put an NVRAM in it while I'm at it (it still has that black box battery that appears to be working, but no leakage).

I have a couple minor issues that I need to look into though. The #2 bat kicker goes into rapid fire mode (even though the leaf switch isn't touching) and gets stuck on. And the gate spring/leaf switch for the trap door activator seems to need some adjustment as it doesn't always activate, and I think I made it worse when I tried to adjust it.

Otherwise, this machine is in great condition and I've had it for well over 15 years.

#572 5 years ago

Disregard what was here. I took another look because the outputs were pretty confusing considering it was working. Apparently the place I was doing my DMM ground lead wasn't a good spot. When I changed to the actual grounding area the voltages were right on, 5v was a bit high so i dialed it in. I realized I had a cap I could put in as a test to replace the big orange one but I don't see any difference in how it acts. When you first turn it on and start a game there is like a 20-30 second delay before 'most' of the solenoids will fire. The ball kickout fires, the main playfield kickout at the top of the playfield (in between the drop hole and the upkicker) fires, but nothing else will. Then after some time, there is this little click under the playfield (toward the back) and then everything works. It sounds similar to the click to switch to the lower playfield and back (like maybe a relay?). If I turn the machine off and back on again you can hear it click almost immediately after starting a game.

I had already taken out all the boards and cleaned the contacts except the MPU and PS. The connections on everything actually look really good though.

EDIT UPDATE: The delay issue seems to be the same relay/switch(?) that flips between main/bottom playfields in attract mode. I'm assuming every has that loud 'click' when it switches back and forth? This is the sound I'm hearing when the game finally kicks in at the same spot under the playfield, but I can't figure out where it is. In the manual I don't see anything there. Is that sound just coils charging? It's like when you hit start, the game doesn't realize it should be activating the playfield, and then it just eventually does. Is there any kind of switch that the ball should be hitting when you launch it?

2 weeks later
#574 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I had a chance to play someone else's Haunted House again last night (was the first one I had played before getting mine) I and definitely noticed differences in the way it plays compares to mine. Not all in a good way and I think that is why I at first I wasn't a huge fan of the game. The main issue was the drop from the secret passage into the cellar. Every drop went right into the center and immediately drained. Mine doesn't do that. What is the best way to adjust that? I also noticed the regular sound was off and was distorted. From repairing another sound board I found that can be caused by the precision adjustable resistor near the bottom edge of the board improperly adjusted closer to the extreme and causes clipping/distortion of the audio. I'm going to see if that will help fix the issue on the other machine I played last night. Would also like to help him get it dialed in so it will have the great game play it should.
Any insight on adjusting the secret passage drop would be appreciated.

I have one that drops in a manner that it immediately goes left and drains. One thing that helps prevent it is to trigger the flipper prior to it landing. I can't see a way to adjust the ramps as they seem to be welded in place. Do all of them hit in bad spots or just one? You could attempt to move the entire contraption.

#575 5 years ago

Does anyone have a good method for leveling the window? I got new rubbers, but the window doesn't stay flat, it will be level at the screws, then high or low in between. It seems like there should be padding along the entire outside, or some sort of rubber grommet flap thing on top of the window/playfield seam. I would have thought after all these years someone has come up with some sort of mod or improvement for how this works.

#582 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Are you using rubber or the foam discs in between the window and pf, with the screw going in the middle?

Yes.. Original window.. Not warped.. I replaced the foam pads with one's from PBR and its still an issue.. It's not really bad.. But it is certainly not level all the way around..

It's not noticeably visible.. But it does affect the ball at times.. More concerned about the wood/paint edges

#588 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright I need a manual, I have a switch matrix problem going on could someone take a picture of the switch matrix chart so I can figure this out.

The HH manual doesn't show a normal matrix in block format like others. It basically lists each part on the PF and what switch it is for, and then the schematics. What particular issues are you having and I can see if I can consolidate some of it.

1 month later
#594 5 years ago

If anyone needs a new PF window there's someone selling repros on ebay.

ebay.com link: itm

#598 5 years ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

Huge scammer, i wouldn’t recommend purchasing anything from this goof

Really? Is it the same as this?

http://www.starship-fantasy.com/plastics/HAUNTED-HOUSE-Playfield-Window-Kit

They are in stock now (they were out).

The guys feedback is all good.

2 weeks later
#602 5 years ago

Congrats. Also, check if the big capacitors in the bottom are orange and/or light blue. If so they should be changed out.

1 week later
#609 5 years ago

770,000 to 000,000 is normal until you get higher than 770,000. When you say 'nothing else' do you mean if you have credits and hit start nothing happens?

If you have a coil burnt/stuck it may not do anything until you remove it/replace it.

#614 5 years ago

There are 3 relays way at the back right of the main playfield. They control the game basically. If these got bumped or stuck the game won't do anything. Do you get a big 'thunk' when you turn it on? Do any of the solenoids/switches work? Do the basement lights go on and off every 10-15 seconds? (They should under normal attraction mode). There is also music that will go every 20-30 seconds or so...but that might be a setting.

#616 5 years ago
Quoted from Bam_Man:

No thunk, no solenoids/switches, no basement lights no music. I'll check relays

Just throwing out things, but since you recently had them out, recheck your cables on the boards, and make sure you didn't accidentally pop the roms out.

1 week later
#622 5 years ago

I just had a lamp go out under one of the inserts under the small attic playfield. Is there an easy way to get to them or do you have to remove and lift off that upper attic playfield to get to them? I've never had to remove that yet. Is there anything to watch out for or any tricks to make it easier and safer to remove?

You do but it is easy.

On the front left and right sides of the metal frame you will see a divots in the metal, and there is a screw on each side. This holds the upper pf in place. You just have to loosen those (not take them all the way out). To get to the right one you will need to prop the main pf up a bit so it clears the cabinet.

You also have to unscrew the bottom of the metal ramp that is attached to the main pf. Then it should just swivel up. Note that there are some short cables attaching it in the back of it - so you won't be able to completely lift it all the way up unless you disconnect those. In the back of the pf there are slots where the whole piece slides into as well.

#627 5 years ago

The basement lights are not 5v or 12v they are 24v I think (i can look them up to validate, for some reason 23v comes to mind but that can't be right). It is possible someone put 47's in and they blew them.

4 weeks later
#644 5 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

My problem has been fixed.

And what did you do???

1 month later
#652 5 years ago

Does it happen when nothing is happening, or when other things are going off?

7 months later
#744 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

The photo of the front of the game does look a little weird. Just the angle of the pic.
But nope. 27” on the front, and I actually kicked it up to 31” on the back to increase the pitch. Here’s a better shot. Same height as the other pins.[quoted image]

It actually should have 31" on the back so that is correct, but even doing that you have to extend them quite a bit to get some pitch.

1 month later
#788 4 years ago

Anyone have any idea where to get the relays in this beast? My Q relay keeps 'sticking' after time. Getting tired taking it apart to pull it out and demagnetize it.

#789 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Wow. These are some REALLY BEAUTIFUL pieces of work. If mine were in worse shape, I'd be going this route.

Yea same with me. Mine isn't in horrible shape, and this looks so nice...

#791 4 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

check with pbresource already?

I guess I can. Not usually my go to since there's a minimum.

#796 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

What the heck is this???

Something someone is probably going to get into trouble for.

2 months later
#815 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/88320
This is HORRIBLY dirty but the playfield actually looks amazing. No wear on the scoop. No wear on the secret passage. Barely any wear around the window. No kicker playfield wear. Basement looks good. If I were closer, I'd pick this up without a doubt.

The unbroken secret passage plastic almost sells it.

1 week later
#821 4 years ago

I personally think the robotic voice is out of place on this game. I assume you can disable that...but I'm not sure what other changes there are to the programming of the game.

Has the wrong length legs on the back.

I can't tell if the player 1 display has an issue or if that's something with the new programming.

It amazes me this game is being priced so high in general. This one isn't in bad condition, but mine is in better condition than this and I would never have imagined it would be worth $3k. I think 2500 is pushing it even for a pristine one. Guess it depends on how bad you want one. The condition is pretty standard for these.

#826 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Thanks for this info, is the game supposed to have longer legs in the back? I see the front casters were removed completely I guess to try and get the game to pitch correctly

Yea 27 inch in front and 31 inch in the back. Otherwise it is hard to get any pitch. Easy to find, and no more than normal legs.

2 weeks later
#859 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Any ideas why the cellar, attic and main level inserts appear to be backwards on all haunted houses I see except mine? Every playfield picture I pull up has them switched wrong. I went to look at my game and they are in the correct orientation. Cellar goes to cellar, attic to attic and so on. Was there a run of these games where they messed up? Or are they all wrong and someone switched my inserts or decals?

What? Pictures? Maybe you have an early version? But pictures would help...

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Having one last question:
Ball popper sending the ball back from the cellar to the main playfield is suceeding with a 50% rate.
Any trick to improve that? Already changed the sleeve.

Are you sure it is aligned properly? Other than that, changing to a stronger coil is usually the trick.

2 weeks later
#876 4 years ago

Son of a...I got bamboozled.

I purchased a set probably 15 years ago as a backup but I never actually looked at them that closely. Dug them out to compare, and mine are 7 digit, and HH is definitely 6 digit alphanumeric. For some reason I thought they also came with the green screens. I paid a pretty penny for them too. Shhiiiit.

Anyway yes those look legit from what I can see. Just a typo(or doesn't know they are 6 digit). Guessing they are 4 from the backbox, missing the one that was on the playfield, and the other odd one for credits/balls.

1 week later
#899 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Rolled the dice and purchased these, 4 very nice green filters and 4 working 7 digit displays
One was a little dim, hit it with 6.3 volts for 4 minutes and its daisy fresh again.[quoted image]

So these are not HH displays, but they have the filters?

#902 4 years ago

Now that I think back, doesn't the change to multiball include a change the score to 7 digit based on the board that is used?

3 months later
#993 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Adding on to the leg height discussion, are Black Hole and Haunted House supposed to be this game height? I would assume the answer is no due to the legs, but I just imagined that all the games from the same series would be designed to look nice in a lineup...
Or rather my aesthetic OCD is really taking hold.

Odd as it may seem, BH uses 27" on all 4. HH uses the 31" in the back.

4 months later
#1033 3 years ago

Still on the look out for a Q relay if someone comes across a source. I've tried all the places I can find without any luck. (including PBR).

2 months later
#1041 3 years ago

When you power up your Haunted House do you normally just have silence or do you hear the sound board play a short sound? Just trying to confirm one way or the other.

No sound on the original boards.

#1044 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Does that change if you're using an aftermarket board?

I don't know and I didn't know what he had. I powered mine up which has an original board and there was no sound until the attract music plays which isn't for awhile.

#1047 3 years ago

That's the thing too..mine used to clunk and I swear it used to play a sound, which is why i had to double check. I did the ground mods a few years ago, but I have no idea if that changed anything.

#1052 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

HH that I've been working on for someone started doing some absolutely insane shit.

When a game starts, it will just advance through balls and say game over without shooting a ball out at all. Seems odd because I was under the impression that if you house ball without a switch it would just keep kicking the ball out... Anybody have thoughts on what to point to?

Only one thing that it could possibly be that makes sense. It's haunted.

Did you remove the ball and fiddle with the trough switch?

6 months later
#1105 2 years ago

Before I start tearing into this can anyone confirm for me.

Mine has started to intermittently not play sounds (targets etc), or even keeps playing the same sound like a target is stuck.

The targets themselves do register.

I assume there are 2 levels of the switch, one for target, one for sound?

Is this correct that I need to adjust the switch leafs...or do I need to be looking somewhere else?

1 month later
#1135 2 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Hey guys, glad to join the club! First Gottlieb ever and of course I go with the most complicated. So highly likely I'll have "obvious" questions in the near future. That being said my game is a solid player but I still need to give it a good clean, replace some lamps and rubbers, and also determine if a few quirks I've encountered are "normal".
First issue I've noticed, I suspect is just a switch adjustment, but the number 2 kick back target seems to kick back immediately and doesn't seem to register solid like target 1 does. There's not a special gameplay rule to make the target light is there?
Also, I think I hit the extra ball shot and the game knocked maybe 3 times, played some different fanfare and kicked the ball out. Is that normal? I didn't get an extra ball so I'm wondering if it's a gameplay setting + a dead bulb, or just normal behavior if the shot is unlit.
Other than that I've been having troubles with my plunger shooting the ball all the way up. Clearly I need this rubber replaced but it also has me wondering what steepness are most of you all using?
I got a pretty good game with player 4 - not too shabby for less than 10 plays in my ownership.
[quoted image]

For the numbered targets, you do indeed need to hit them in order. They should light up when it is their turn. I don't remember if you get any score if you hit them when not lit.

For steepness, this game should have longer legs on the back than the front (I believe 27" on front, 31" on back). I believe i have my feet turned all the way in.

6 months later
#1183 2 years ago
Quoted from HelloGuy:

I purchased a HH recently. The lower playfield solenoid power does not turn on(no flippers, pop, or upkick, GI lights on power up but not when the ball drops
down). Im wondering which driver runs the U and T relays so i cant test them and check connections, I have a manual but cant find it. they dont seem to be activating when i press any of the triggers on the rails to the lower playfield. Gaps look right, but im gonna have to dig up a reference pic from this thread as the manual seems to be missing many details. new power supply, but all boards "look" good. bought it in this condition, the previous owner said it worked before he moved it, but I'm afraid he was lying(suprise).

These relays are notorious for sticking/getting magnetized. You might try just wiggling and/or taking apart and cleaning if you haven't.

5 months later
#1254 1 year ago

How are these printed? I bought a replacement years ago, but the way it was printed was not how the originals were and it already scratched up.

1 year later
#1379 44 days ago

Shouldn't be dark at all, it's pretty bright down there with the old bulbs. Are you sure it is coming on? Or the bulbs aren't blown?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-club-the-beautiful-beast-all-welcome?tu=Zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.