2D44A099-A330-4031-A82F-313138613350 (resized).jpeg
F78436B5-010D-4098-AA79-9DA49692E95E (resized).jpeg
25ED4B57-8CAA-448C-B200-FBC600048466 (resized).jpeg
4AD69A75-3665-4588-B0A3-86415AAE590B (resized).jpeg
9AB6E0D5-5359-45FC-A7DB-80AA24D65F97 (resized).jpeg
B58217CC-4764-471F-8657-FA98CF7A3E8E (resized).jpeg
EBAC3154-AF2B-490B-8588-49DE2297994D (resized).jpeg
C0BD6704-3E31-4F45-B0E3-ED5D6459B896 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,415 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 29.
#1151 2 years ago

Anyone have an image of this area of the relay bank?

I see a wire near my relay bank that has popped off
Does anyone have a clear pic of that spot on the relay to indicate where that wire goes??

It's "White wire - Purple/Gray stripe"

a22bddfb31ba1dc98b79ea0b2de9609f01c1d288 (resized).jpga22bddfb31ba1dc98b79ea0b2de9609f01c1d288 (resized).jpgf53984261f4e001c51561c826e74f8cc0822cb65 (resized).jpgf53984261f4e001c51561c826e74f8cc0822cb65 (resized).jpg
#1152 2 years ago

Joined the club yesterday. Wow what a a beast. Looks like I’ve got some light reading to do.

#1153 2 years ago

Making great progress on my playfield swaps
Main PF is done. 2 more to go!
IMG_3955 (resized).JPGIMG_3955 (resized).JPG

IMG_3922 (resized).jpgIMG_3922 (resized).jpgIMG_3918 (resized).jpgIMG_3918 (resized).jpgIMG_3915 (resized).jpgIMG_3915 (resized).jpgIMG_3900 (resized).jpgIMG_3900 (resized).jpgIMG_3883 (resized).jpgIMG_3883 (resized).jpg
#1154 2 years ago

Yeah, I've got way too many projects to tackle a play field swap on this one yet. You're looking to make good clean work of it though!

#1155 2 years ago

So I have the opportunity to buy a HH which would be amazing
Cab is fan freaking tastic I mean it’s real nice
Plays 100%
Barely any window wear
I’ve noticed there are a couple wear spots by the flippers on the lower level
The other playfields look great
Also,noticed the secret passage plastic is not there
Price is around 2k
Aould these couple issues stop me from buying
I’m really picky and would want to repair the issues seems like the plastic is not attainable
Thanks

#1156 2 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Plays 100%
Barely any window wear
Price is around 2k
I’m really picky and would want to repair the issues seems like the plastic is not attainable
Thanks

Check the back glass for bubbling, check MPU for battery damage.

As far as I know, replacing the secret plastic means buying a full set, so factor that into cost. I would make an offer a bit lower citing the pf wear and plastic. Plan on doing some bullet proofing after… re-pinning connectors, doing ground mods, replacing some caps at minimum.

#1157 2 years ago

Plays 100%
Barely any window wear
Price is around 2k
Thanks

The Secret Passage plastic is available from "Ministry of Pinball" in the Netherlands (got mine from there recently). Takes about 3 weeks to get it.

Plays 100%
Barely any window wear
Price is around 2k
Thanks

The Secret Passage plastic is available from "Ministry of Pinball" in the Netherlands (got mine a few weeks ago), takes about 3-4 weeks to arrive.
Also, Marco Pinball has a clear plastic guard that goes under it to keep it from breaking. Haven't had an issue with it since.

#1158 2 years ago
Quoted from pin-ball1958:

The Secret Passage plastic is available from "Ministry of Pinball" in the Netherlands (got mine from there recently). Takes about 3 weeks to get it.

The Secret Passage plastic is available from "Ministry of Pinball" in the Netherlands (got mine a few weeks ago), takes about 3-4 weeks to arrive.
Also, Marco Pinball has a clear plastic guard that goes under it to keep it from breaking. Haven't had an issue with it since.

Thank you!
Picked up couple hours ago will post pics later when I get the thing home

#1159 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Check the back glass for bubbling, check MPU for battery damage.
As far as I know, replacing the secret plastic means buying a full set, so factor that into cost. I would make an offer a bit lower citing the pf wear and plastic. Plan on doing some bullet proofing after… re-pinning connectors, doing ground mods, replacing some caps at minimum.

Thank you sir
Turns out some of my issues with what I saw was reflection off the glass and I was mistaken

#1160 2 years ago

I’ve noticed on my game that the lower lights do not come on in attract mode
The switching effect does not take place
Anyone ever seen this and have any advice to point me in the right direction would be great

#1161 2 years ago

For everyone talking about the plastics on HH being unavailable...PinballCenter here in Germany has the entire set and sell pieces individually. I can attest to the quality, I replaced all of my plastics when I rebuilt my HH a year ago and the plastic set is fantastic.

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/?p=1

#1162 2 years ago

I’ve noticed on my game that the lower lights do not come on in attract mode
The switching effect does not take place
Anyone ever seen this and have any advice to point me in the right direction would be great

Do you mean that your relay doesn't click back and forth during attract? Have you checked the relay bank to make sure a wire there hasn't come soldered, or maybe one of the relay contacts is misadjusted?

#1163 2 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

For everyone talking about the plastics on HH being unavailable...PinballCenter here in Germany has the entire set and sell pieces individually. I can attest to the quality, I replaced all of my plastics when I rebuilt my HH a year ago and the plastic set is fantastic.
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/?p=1

These guys don’t ship to the US and most of the items are low quality. I’m not sure where the HH plastics they do have came from but they are out of reach for folks in the states.

#1164 2 years ago

I found an extra sound board from black hole, can I use it in my haunted house with no sound?

I’ve heard they are different boards but they look very similar if not the same.

#1165 2 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I found an extra sound board from black hole, can I use it in my haunted house with no sound?
I’ve heard they are different boards but they look very similar if not the same.

Haunted House and Black Hole use the same B-20887-3 Sound Board AFAIK. The big difference between the two games is that Black Hole used the SC-01-A speech chip at location U14, and HH did not have speech by default so the chip isn't used. I also have both games and I've used my BH soundboard in my HH as I was restoring it. Worked well in both machines.

#1166 2 years ago

Haunted House and Black Hole use the same B-20887-3 Sound Board AFAIK. The big difference between the two games is that Black Hole used the SC-01-A speech chip at location U14, and HH did not have speech by default so the chip isn't used. I also have both games and I've used my BH soundboard in my HH as I was restoring it. Worked well in both machines.

Just what I wanted to know, thank you!

#1167 2 years ago

Or if you get the Haunted House speech ROMs from flip projects that game can talk too. They sell it as a single chip but I’d rather split that image so you don’t need to mod the board to use.

As long as the sound board has the SC-01A then it really just needs swapping out the ROMs on the sound card and the one ROM on the MPU

Quoted from knockerlover:

Just what I wanted to know, thank you!

#1168 2 years ago

Has anyone done the vertical upkicker pop-bumper mod? Trying to diagnose why my VUK switches are registering but solenoids not firing...

For the basement VUK, I've tapped a test ground to the coil (which fires) and it blows the 8amp slo-blo F4 fuse.
This has been a frustrating issue so any help is always appreciated.

Original post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vuk-mod-issues-haunted-house-gottlieb-1982#post-6556092

2 weeks later
#1169 2 years ago

I really want to do a playfield swap
My playfields are not bad
My wife loves it general wear as is and my brother says “you’ll be upside down on the game” lol
I don’t care about being upside down
I only paid 2k for the game and it’s all complete
Is swapping a new playfield out of a already decent HH devalue the game?

#1170 2 years ago

My wife loves it general wear as is and my brother says “you’ll be upside down on the game” lol

Not at all but a HH playfield swap is no small task. Ever done a swap before? I would not recomend this as a first time swap.

#1171 2 years ago

If the playfield wear isn't too widespread, maybe you can just touch up the worn areas. I did a similar job on my HH, fixing some wear in several spots on the main and lower playfield and it came out beautiful. See the video on my YouTube channel below. A complete PF swap is a huge undertaking.

#1172 2 years ago

If your playfields aren’t too bad just try some touch up first. With the glass on you may no longer notice. Since you obviously love the game (and it is an awesome game) you could always pickup a spare playfield set while they are available and just set it aside for if you ever really need it. Or pickup a Haunted House with trashed playfields, do the swap on that, and once you have a perfect one sell the old one. Plus there is so much stuff under the playfields that it would really help having a complete one sitting there as a reference.

I have a project Firepower I picked up that came with a brand new playfield. Person I bought it from lost interest partway through the swap. I already have a Firepower and will put them side by side when I work to complete repopulating the new playfield for the new one. That will make it easier.

#1173 2 years ago

yeah - you and I are in the same boat. I plan on picking up a set of boards, but that swap won't be happening for a very long time I suspect >.> too many other projects to wrap up first.

#1174 2 years ago

Was in same spot, decided to buy the game at $2k and grab a set of Mirco playfields - not worried about under water. I like the game and want a really nice version
I would recommend tackling a simple Bally late 70s title first if you've never done a swap. Harlem, Bobby Orr, Eviel K, etc.
Also recommend you suspend some time on the HEP thread. Tons of great tips there
If you can afford the new PFs - go for it, the artwork and backglass are beautiful on this game!

Detailed write up of my Harlem swap/restore here FWIW
Will also be writing up my HH swap as well soon

https://thepinballloft.com/

3 weeks later
#1175 2 years ago

Has anyone matched the green display cover color to a theatre gel filter number? I need it for Mars God of War, and maybe Haunted House.

I don't have any supply stores for that kind of stuff nearby to check them out, so I'm not sure what a good match would be. Looking at Rosco or Lee brand filters.

#1176 2 years ago
Quoted from vipe155:

Has anyone matched the green display cover color to a theatre gel filter number? I need it for Mars God of War, and maybe Haunted House.
I don't have any supply stores for that kind of stuff nearby to check them out, so I'm not sure what a good match would be. Looking at Rosco or Lee brand filters.

You can get green covers on Ebay. ebay.com link: itm
You can get blue covers on Ebay. ebay.com link: itm

#1177 2 years ago
Quoted from pin-ball1958:

You can get green covers on Ebay. ebay.com link: itm
You can get blue covers on Ebay. ebay.com link: itm

I do know about those. If they were adhesive backed I would be more interested, but they are just plain filter material precut (and not necessarily straight, going by the pictures). I would rather buy a large 2 ft. roll for less and cut them to what I need.

1 week later
#1178 2 years ago

A word of warning about HH and lifting the playfield up to stand vertical. i have always done this to fix various issues under the playfield and the last time i did it the wiring harness must have got caught behind the transformer in the back bottom of the cabinet and bent one of the tabs against the transformer housing. well this caused the main fuse by the on/off switch under the cabinet to keep blowing. took quite some time to find it as the tab that was bent on the transformer was in teh back of the transfomer so you could only see it by removing the the transformer.

Also, found some insulation rubbed off the wires on the wire bundle around where the bundle rubs against the back edge of the main playfield and also the bottom playfield.

#1179 2 years ago

Something else i have noticed, the screws holding the switch stacks for the flippers back themselves out. i found 3 missing and others loose. i will be checking them periodically depending on the amount of game play.

#1180 2 years ago

try adding a bit of blue loctite, or a mini lock washer.

Quoted from mikeman1:

Something else i have noticed, the screws holding the switch stacks for the flippers back themselves out. i found 3 missing and others loose. i will be checking them periodically depending on the amount of game play.

1 month later
#1181 2 years ago

Just did the VUK upgrade today to a pop-bumper board. What a difference! Same power all the time and no more switch. Definitely worth the time.

IMG_20220203_185843 (resized).jpgIMG_20220203_185843 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1182 2 years ago

I purchased a HH recently. The lower playfield solenoid power does not turn on(no flippers, pop, or upkick, GI lights on power up but not when the ball drops
down). Im wondering which driver runs the U and T relays so i cant test them and check connections, I have a manual but cant find it. they dont seem to be activating when i press any of the triggers on the rails to the lower playfield. Gaps look right, but im gonna have to dig up a reference pic from this thread as the manual seems to be missing many details. new power supply, but all boards "look" good. bought it in this condition, the previous owner said it worked before he moved it, but I'm afraid he was lying(suprise).

#1183 2 years ago
Quoted from HelloGuy:

I purchased a HH recently. The lower playfield solenoid power does not turn on(no flippers, pop, or upkick, GI lights on power up but not when the ball drops
down). Im wondering which driver runs the U and T relays so i cant test them and check connections, I have a manual but cant find it. they dont seem to be activating when i press any of the triggers on the rails to the lower playfield. Gaps look right, but im gonna have to dig up a reference pic from this thread as the manual seems to be missing many details. new power supply, but all boards "look" good. bought it in this condition, the previous owner said it worked before he moved it, but I'm afraid he was lying(suprise).

These relays are notorious for sticking/getting magnetized. You might try just wiggling and/or taking apart and cleaning if you haven't.

2 weeks later
#1184 2 years ago

Solved my lower playfield problem that u relay was not activating because pin number 14 on connector A3J3 needed to get repinned. It is now, game is working beautifully, those old schematics are hard to read!!

#1185 2 years ago
Quoted from HelloGuy:

Solved my lower playfield problem that u relay was not activating because pin number 14 on connector A3J3 needed to get repinned. It is now, game is working beautifully, those old schematics are hard to read!!

Congrats! It is so gratifying to solve problems on these old machines. I actually really love the schematics on the Gottliebs. For some reason their manuals seem laid out very well and make troubleshooting a pretty straightforward process. My HH keeps me on my toes too. Always something to fix.

2 weeks later
#1186 2 years ago

Hello! Sorry for the bonehead question, but where do I unlock the head to remove the backglass and access the fuses? I've only ever had Sterns or B/W so this machine is like being on another planet. I'm really loving this game! Thanks.

#1187 2 years ago
Quoted from Batedogg:

Hello! Sorry for the bonehead question, but where do I unlock the head to remove the backglass and access the fuses? I've only ever had Sterns or B/W so this machine is like being on another planet. I'm really loving this game! Thanks.

What fuses are you looking for? Many are in the cabinet.

#1188 2 years ago

There are no fuses in the backbox. All fuses are on the fuse panels or the playfields IIRC.

Either way, the lock on HH is on the upper left part of the head. It might be missing. Then you're in for a fun time.

Read your manual. It's online

#1189 2 years ago

Thanks for the help and for your patience, I've got a lot to learn!

#1190 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

There are no fuses in the backbox. All fuses are on the fuse panels or the playfields IIRC.
Either way, the lock on HH is on the upper left part of the head. It might be missing. Then you're in for a fun time.
Read your manual. It's online

The manual is on-line? Steve isn’t going to like that.

#1191 1 year ago

I got everything done that I needed to do to get the machine running 100 percent thanks to the knowledgeable folks on this thread and their posts through the years. Thanks so much! What a great game. Issue was a fuse that tested fine until I removed it from the machine. Once replaced it is running great!

#1192 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The manual is on-line? Steve isn’t going to like that.

There are a few GTB manuals that have somehow slipped through the C&D cracks, not exactly sure how, but nothing a little googling for a manual with some typos can't find ya.

4 weeks later
#1193 1 year ago

My friend just bought a HH from a guy in NY who didn't disclose it had a melted coil sleeve in the upper Playfield pop bumper. We ordered a new pop bumper board and coil. I'm not sure if the previous owner wired it wrong/reversed the diode band, or what... Would someone be kind enough to take a picture of the upper Playfield pop bumper coil wiring?

Thanks

IMG_20220514_144838038 (resized).jpgIMG_20220514_144838038 (resized).jpgIMG_20220514_144845159 (resized).jpgIMG_20220514_144845159 (resized).jpg
#1194 1 year ago

The manual pg 39 shows the band on the diode should be toward the orange/blue/blue (366) wire. The other side's wire should be yellow/slate/slate color. It looks correct from your photo. If the coil sleeve was melted it could have just been a misadjusted pop bumper switch causing a locked-on coil, or perhaps the pop bumper board could have been the issue. The latter can easily checked by moving a pop bumper board from another location.

#1195 1 year ago

The manual pg 39 shows the band on the diode should be toward the orange/blue/blue (366) wire. The other side's wire should be yellow/slate/slate color. It looks correct from your photo. If the coil sleeve was melted it could have just been a misadjusted pop bumper switch causing a locked-on coil, or perhaps the pop bumper board could have been the issue. The latter can easily checked by moving a pop bumper board from another location.

Thank you!

#1196 1 year ago

Just got my very own HH. Worked perfectly when I got it from the seller. Disconnected it and got it home. Everything worked briefly. In the middle of my first game the ball got stuck in the middle VUK on the left and the score went blank. Numerous resets and I can’t get the scores to show at all. The game doesn’t even boot up. GI turns on but no scores show at all. Any ideas where to start looking?

#1197 1 year ago
Quoted from MydknyteStyrm:

Just got my very own HH. Worked perfectly when I got it from the seller. Disconnected it and got it home. Everything worked briefly. In the middle of my first game the ball got stuck in the middle VUK on the left and the score went blank. Numerous resets and I can’t get the scores to show at all. The game doesn’t even boot up. GI turns on but no scores show at all. Any ideas where to start looking?

I’d start by checking fuses and reseating connectors in the backbox.

#1198 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

I’d start by checking fuses and reseating connectors in the backbox.

Fuses are good specifically F3. DMM shows 60v at the A4-J1 connectors on all the displays. Backboard lights and flashers are running. GI is on but not the attract mode. It’s almost like the rom isn’t starting.

#1199 1 year ago

Has the power supply been rebuilt? They are pretty solid after a rebuild but the original parts will often fail. Make sure you check all the fuses. That game has them mounted on the underside of the playfield also. System 80s are a very different breed of pin. After you verify you have all of your power outputs, the problem is usually bad pins in the connectors or an open slam switch (the one on the door).

#1200 1 year ago
Quoted from MydknyteStyrm:

Start at the beginning...verify good voltages on the power supply. Check the interconnect cable between the MPU & Driver board. Verify you have sufficient grounds at both boards. I'd bet it's one of these issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,415 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-club-the-beautiful-beast-all-welcome/page/24?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.