You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC01056.JPG
DSC01052.JPG
DSC01053.JPG

#1 9 years ago

So I had a flipper on the cellar playfield always sticking, so I replaced the solenoid. And now upon start up the F4 solenoid fuse blows on start up. I thought my soldering job was poor so I reinstalled the old solenoid, but it kept blowing the fuse.

Now with A9-P3 and A9-J3 disconnected, the game fires up fine. Which is leading me to believe that I did something wrong when replacing the solenoid. Also at the request of a fellow pinhead, he suggested moving up to a 10A fuse, but when I did, I got a burning smell. So back down to 8A.

Any ideas what I should look for?

#2 9 years ago

Only thing I got is to check all your connections, make sure the wires are in the right place, none are crossed, touching, or shorted. Check the EOS switch to make sure it is set proper, not sure on this game if it's open or closed at rest.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Any ideas what I should look for?

Start looking for a proper service tech. NEVER overfuse that was a very bad suggestion. Could very well have melted wires or made problem much worse. oh my

#4 9 years ago

+1 for CNKay, I missed that!

#5 9 years ago

Mine did that when i 1st got it and it was bad wireing and def never overfuse nothing good comes from that

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. Will try tackling it again tomorrow night.

#7 9 years ago

Was able to swap out the driver board with a newer Ni Wumpf one. So the fuse no longer blows, but the board locks out the system. Current LEDs are showing issues with E10, E3, E7, and E4. Since its the solenoid fuse that was blowing, I'm guessing these E lights are the solenoid locations.

Anyone have any idea which ones these are?

#8 9 years ago

I can not help but think something else happened while you were soldering. like a blob of solder dropped causing short or your iron's cord caught on something and moved it, bent it, etc.. strip of solder left lying or something simple.

So fuse issue started after coil change for flipper, and now even with old one put back you have issue.

Maybe post picture of your wiring someone with HH may be able to easily see an issue.

#9 9 years ago

Since you suspect that you did something wrong when installing that new flipper coil, look at any flipper coil that worked before and be sure the wires are connected correctly for the diode direction. If you have them set up as opposite of one you didn't touch, that could be the problem. Since I don't mess with boards that didn't come with the game originally, do you mean F (for fuse) or something else when using E? Usually if everything was working, when I see a blown F4 fuse, it's time to look at the bridge rectifier or for a shorted/backwards diode.

Steve

#10 9 years ago

The E is the location designated to components on the playfield. I haven't gone back to check yet. But I'll hopefully have pics of the solenoid wiring this week. Also bought another coil, just incase. Just out of curiosity, what will I be looking for on the rectifier?

1 week later
#11 9 years ago

Sorry for the delay here. But here are the pics of the coil that was replaced. I have since taken it out of circuit, and now I don't get any sound. And the same LED's are lit up on the driver board. LED's that are lit are: E10, E3, E7, E6 and E4. I did add the ground wire to the driver board, but there was no change.
DSC01053.JPGDSC01053.JPG
DSC01052.JPGDSC01052.JPG
DSC01056.JPGDSC01056.JPG

#12 9 years ago

Is it possible that there's a design flaw or incorrect part on your board? I noticed another thread that seems to have the same board and same LED's lit. Sure as heck can't be a Canadian issue.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-capture-solenoids-lock-on-at-power-up

Steve

4 weeks later
#13 9 years ago

Alright, put the old driver board back in, and I have the game coining up, but when the ball drops into the basement nothing happens, other than the vuk when the ball drains. New issue?

#14 9 years ago

Found several issues. All worked out, game is back up and running.

1 month later
#15 9 years ago

I am having a similar problem with my HH. Just started tonight.
Can you specify what issues you found.
Thanks,
Bruce

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
3,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gettysburg, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Johnston, IA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-blowing-solenoid-fuse-on-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.