You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
P6180030 (resized).JPG
0610172310 (resized).jpg
0610172243 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Are the connector pins for the driver board still available?

Yes.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=77

However, not for the interconnect harness between the mpu and driver board. Only bigdaddy has those bifrucated pins for that harness.

http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/electronics/e_connectors-156.htm

Quoted from Lovef2k:

The fuse will blow after the game has been on for 15 to minutes,

Which fuse is actually blowing?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

So can I use the Bifurcated pins in the black edge connector? The originals are not Bifurcated.

No, regular edge connector pins for everything except the harness between the driver board and mpu. Only that harness uses bifurcated pins. Sorry for the confusion.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

IIRC F11 for the main pf lower left pop. Not as often but the fuse for the cellar pf pop bumper also blows. F-8. According to John's Jukes site, he said to check the connectors pin 9 and 18 A1J6 and they do look discolored, they supply 5 volts to the PBDB's but I'm thinking it might be a power problem and not logic. I have been working on this game occasionally for about a year. Back then, I bought a repro pop bumper driver from Pioneer. The fuse was still blowing with that board installed. It also has a weird issue causing the pop bumper to fire when the left flipper is activated. So back in with the original. I think I even swapped them around to test them.

Have you done a resistance test on the coil?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

F4 is the fuse for all the solenoids, including the pops. The pops are locking on when I start a game and blowing F4, when I unplug the pbdbs, the game plays fine and the fuse doesn't blow. Also, I had to stop working on it tonight due to unfortunate circumstances.... Anyone have a spare playfield glass for a haunted house?

Since it sounds like you have a different issue, you should probably start your own thread on it. The troubleshooting suggestions for Lovef2k's game will probably be different than the ones for yours.

As for replacement playfield glass, try finding a local glass shop that can cut new glass for you. It should be about $45 or so. You might have to shop around a bit to find that price, since some glass shops will outsource it, which will probably double or triple that price.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yes the main pf lower pop blows very consistently. F-11 under the pf. It's been a while but I think I did swap the PBDB around and the same fuse blew again. Then again, I also have F-8 blowing so I could have 2 bad boards.

Take a look at the pop bumper boards and see if they might need to be updated:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Updating_the_Pop_Bumper_Driver_Board

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I was also able to verify that the PBDB's are the non-modified versions.

I'd try modifying one and see what happens.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'm still confused about why the repro driver board activates the pop bumper when the left flipper is activated.

A diode issue, maybe?

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Also ordered new transistors Q1 from ebay

Careful about those can style transistors...there's fakes floating around.

There's info on pinwiki about replacing the can style with a TIP style.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Also has anyone ever needed to change the fuse clips out? Maybe they have tarnish build up of overheated plating?

Unless they were obviously broken or bent, I haven't needed to replace them. Gottlieb generally used better quality parts in their games.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I saw the TIP-102 thing on Pinwiki. I found these made by Motorola and US seller so I thought I was in the clear as far as fakes, any way to tell? They will delivered tomorrow.
ebay.com link

G-P-E knows how to spot fakes. I'm not familiar enough with the part markings to tell.

You don't know if that US seller bought them from a foreign seller and is just relisting them. Or, if the photo is a stock photo of a real one, and what you receive might not match the photo.

That's not to say that the seller is dishonest...it's just that whenever you have an obsolete part that's hard to find, there's going to be fake parts floating around to fill the demand.

They could very well be real NOS parts...who knows. The photo looks ok to me, but like I said, I'm not too familiar with being able to spot fakes.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

So I'm not sure if modifying the drivers will fix my issue.

I'd try it. The repro board has various extras on it (such as the LED indicators and test fire switch), and I'm not sure what impact (if any) those would have.

Although, I'm not even sure what problem(s) the updates are supposed to correct. I have not been able to lay eyes on the original service bulletin that detailed the update.

Either way, I always prefer working with original boards. You never know if a design issue of a repro board is the root cause, and you could end up chasing your tail for a while before you finally determine that.

If updating the board doesn't work, then you could probably eliminate the pop bumper driver boards as the cause of the issue and start looking elsewhere. I like to try to eliminate any known potential problems first, to help rule things out and cut down on the guesswork.

It could be a wire shorting with something else. Make sure to check for any pinched or damaged insulation, and check the movement of mechanisms to see if wiring gets pushed, or if a metal part makes contact with something it isn't supposed to, like a lamp socket.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I found the power distribution schematic online and printed it. I wanted to see what the 2 large caps in the cab do. I can only find C1 6800 MFD for the 12V circuit. The manual shows a 4800 MFD but I can't find it on this schematic.

the 4800uF cap is on the 38v circuit for solenoid voltage.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Where did you get that schematic?

From the HH manual.

HH and BH are a bit different than most of the other system 80 games. If you don't have the HH manual, it would be a good idea to get it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-blowing-pop-bumper-fuse-help?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.