• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220718_203652 (resized).jpg
20220718_202833 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hello, first post! I recently picked up Haunted House, my first machine. It was my favorite pinball machine at the skating rink growing up. We had Roller Disco at home which is the next one I want to get.

Luckily the machine came without the battery pack. It looks like it had leaked in the past but the damage seems to be minimal and does not affect the game in anyway I can tell. I am leaning towards a CR2032 battery holder and the blocking diode approach but was wanting to solicit options and recommendations for battery replacements.

I have referenced the pinwiki page for System 80: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Relocating_the_battery_from_the_MPU_board

Is there anyway to connect a rechargeable battery pack to the MPU or is the only rechargeable option the super-cap? If i use the coin cell holder to I need to drill any holes in the board or will it fit with the holes currently in the board?

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

It looks like it had leaked in the past but the damage seems to be minimal and does not affect the game in anyway I can tell.

Was it cleaned up properly? If not, it will need to be, otherwise the corrosion will continue to spread over time.

Quoted from stvns78:

Is there anyway to connect a rechargeable battery pack to the MPU

Not that I'm aware of.

Quoted from stvns78:

If i use the coin cell holder to I need to drill any holes in the board or will it fit with the holes currently in the board?

It should use existing through holes.

You also have the option for NVRAM.

https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php

Scroll down on that page for instructions.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Hello, first post! I recently picked up Haunted House, my first machine. It was my favorite pinball machine at the skating rink growing up. We had Roller Disco at home which is the next one I want to get.
Luckily the machine came without the battery pack. It looks like it had leaked in the past but the damage seems to be minimal and does not affect the game in anyway I can tell. I am leaning towards a CR2032 battery holder and the blocking diode approach but was wanting to solicit options and recommendations for battery replacements.
I have referenced the pinwiki page for System 80: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Relocating_the_battery_from_the_MPU_board
Is there anyway to connect a rechargeable battery pack to the MPU or is the only rechargeable option the super-cap? If i use the coin cell holder to I need to drill any holes in the board or will it fit with the holes currently in the board?
Thanks!

For System 80 pins I always use memory capacitors instead of new batteries or NVRAM. A $5 fix that is good forever.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Was it cleaned up properly? If not, it will need to be, otherwise the corrosion will continue to spread over time.

Not that I'm aware of.

It should use existing through holes.
You also have the option for NVRAM.
https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php
Scroll down on that page for instructions.

I had planned on using the vinegar, baking soda approach to cleaning it unless there is a better way. Rinse with water then rinse with Iso Alcohol?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

For System 80 pins I always use memory capacitors instead of new batteries or NVRAM. A $5 fix that is good forever.

Will any 5.5v 1F super cap work or is there one you recommend for the System 80 boards?
Thanks!

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

I had planned on using the vinegar, baking soda approach to cleaning it unless there is a better way. Rinse with water then rinse with Iso Alcohol?

Zep toilet bowl cleaner is more acidic and does a better job neutralizing the alkaline. There are a few threads on the subject. Caution: Use gloves, and don't use it in a metal sink unless it's heavily diluted, or it may permanently stain it.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Zep toilet bowl cleaner is more acidic and does a better job neutralizing the alkaline. There are a few threads on the subject. Caution: Use gloves, and don't use it in a metal sink unless it's heavily diluted, or it may permanently stain it.

Searched up and read some of the threads on the subject. Sounds like you just apply that stuff directly, wait 5 minutes, then scrub with a brass bristle brush, rinse and let dry? Repeat if necessary? Does not remove trace overcoats and or harm anything else? The gel kind works the same?
Thanks!

#8 1 year ago

First, cut off any affected parts, expose any affected masked traces, then apply.

Quoted from stvns78:

Does not remove trace overcoats and or harm anything else? The gel kind works the same?

I haven't needed to use it in a while, but it may affect the silkscreened labels.

Quoted from stvns78:

brass bristle brush

I just use a toothbrush.

Once the alkaline is cleaned up, sand down the copper a bit for a clean surface. Once you're done replacing the parts, seal exposed traces with clear nail polish.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Will any 5.5v 1F super cap work or is there one you recommend for the System 80 boards?
Thanks!

Any will work. I've tried many different types / brands and they have all worked for me. The trick is to find them cheap and in stock. My HH can sit for 6 months (or more) without losing settings (the game is at my vacation house). After 10 mins of play the cap is charged up and ready for another 6-month run.

https://www.amazon.com/Capacitor-20mm7mm-Coin-C-Electric-Memory/dp/B084RH5T71/ref=sr_1_3

#10 1 year ago

Went out and bought Zep and did two cleanings on the MPU. First pass just a tad bit of bubbles, second pass none. Scrubbed, rinsed with water, then rinsed with isopropyl, dried with the air compressor. Best part of all it still works

Ordered a 1F 5.5v super cap on Amazon.

Thanks for the help!

20220718_202833 (resized).jpg20220718_202833 (resized).jpg20220718_203652 (resized).jpg20220718_203652 (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

Went out and bought Zep and did two cleanings on the MPU. First pass just a tad bit of bubbles, second pass none. Scrubbed, rinsed with water, then rinsed with isopropyl, dried with the air compressor. Best part of all it still works
Ordered a 1F 5.5v super cap on Amazon.
Thanks for the help!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Might wanna lay a new edge finger using copper tape on that one second to the right. Looks like its half torn in the photo

#12 1 year ago

After it is all done you should conformal coat the traces that were exposed copper from sanding.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from slghokie:

After it is all done you should conformal coat the traces that were exposed copper from sanding.

I have purchased a green overcoat pen I plan on going over the traces before soldering on the super cap. Thanks!

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Might wanna lay a new edge finger using copper tape on that one second to the right. Looks like its half torn in the photo

If you are referring to the 2nd to the right on the backside, that pin has been reflowed in the past by parties unknown. Has good continuity. Thanks!

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from stvns78:

If you are referring to the 2nd to the right on the backside, that pin has been reflowed in the past by parties unknown. Has good continuity. Thanks!

It looks like the finger doesnt reach the edge of the board, and if thats the case it wont make as good continuity with the pin in the housing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-battery-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.