Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 494 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Linolium
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

380982855_3452129891769097_5404152547665820139_n (resized).jpg
    39448E4E-2E9E-4542-AF3C-921D32DE6556 (resized).jpeg
    EE139DCE-55D2-441C-BA4C-6F78E0C6EE8D (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    64BD174F-BFE0-418A-962B-304A596571E3 (resized).jpeg
    2AC6A941-90A5-4233-A3D7-37F278299785 (resized).jpeg
    C49AAFB0-319F-48CC-ACEA-7621A96FF8AC (resized).jpeg
    F39689E6-0967-4DC4-81E5-0EB5CE2F5358 (resized).jpeg
    8F65B9BC-1C8F-46A9-A343-5E71FBFF2602 (resized).jpeg
    E9CCD227-4E56-4CDD-ACEA-C56DBD4F1B0B (resized).jpeg
    5565EA4B-312E-4E78-AB4C-0793F761FA03 (resized).jpeg
    3 (resized).JPG
    2 (resized).JPG
    1 (resized).JPG
    81BFF7D1-7551-4FD5-A121-37CF88D3A4BF (resized).jpeg
    Pintastic (resized).png

There are 494 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
    #1 10 years ago

Hi everyone. It's been a little while since a real update from me, but I think I'm ready to start chatting about this project.

I posted a month ago that I've started researching and prototyping a new pinball 2000 playfield kit. That thread can be found here http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-new-pin2k-kits

The pin's theme is an unlicensed ghost horror theme. I haven't fully defined all the rules or the final story yet, but the information below is currently what I'm thinking about. There are many things that must be done before this kit can be produced. Obviously it needs to be built and programmed, but more importantly there are patents that need to be licensed as well as various other business related tasks that need to be handled. Don't expect this to be ready for preorder/sale/whatever until at least 2015.

That being said, onto the design!

STORY INTRO:
    -----------------
    You are a sailor lost at sea. Mist has risen around you. You see a ship and head towards it for help. As you get closer, you hear beautiful singing. The singing relaxes you and you slowly drift asleep, as you fall asleep you notice the ship's name: The Grand Douleur. You wake up on the ship's deck; Empty. Dark. Creaking. You feel as though the ship itself is alive. An apparition appears in front of you beckoning you to follow it deeper into the ship...

CAST:
    -----------------
    You, the player - A sailor lost at sea who found himself aboard this ghost ship. You're actively trying to find a way off the ship before you become the newest member of its permanent crew.

Trapped ghosts - Lost sailors and families who fell victim to the ship. They're often willing to help.

Mischievous ghosts - Playful spirits who mean no harm. They just want to prank you.

Fiendish ghosts - ghosts who want your spirit to become a trapped

Sea spirit sisters - 2 of them. Protectors of the ship, they have a soft spot for lost souls, but a hatred for mankind. These spirits often present themselves as either: alluring mermaids; beautiful women; or young villainous twin sisters.

The Grand Douleur - Feeding off the ghostly energy constantly surrounding it, the ship has gained a slight consciousness. It is very old and has seen many things. While it is saddened that it's decks are used to trap unknowing sailors, it also understands that it gains more consciousness with more ghosts that wander its halls. It will not actively try to harm living beings, but it will seize the moment if presented with an opportunity.

Current Layout
    ------------------
    PLEASE NOTE: This layout is still in the prototype/design phase. There will be features removed and/or added by the time the final version is complete!

As of right now, holographic overlay things exist on the upper table and normal pinball mechanical things will exist on the lower table.

3-10-2013_HauntedCruise.jpg3-10-2013_HauntedCruise.jpg

Let me know what you think!
    -Linolium

#2 10 years ago

This looks awesome! Great job! Will definitely be following this thread!

#3 10 years ago

I like the storyline and theme.

My first thought >> will you even be able to see the upper pf area/flipper since the projected image will block it?

Are there any pops (looks like I can see them in the window to the lower pf)? It there a VUK for access to the upper pf also? what is the window in the lower pf to?

I like the looks of this layout! Feels very BK2K

Do you have a cut-a-way to see the entire lower pf?

#4 10 years ago

Awesome man.

P2K are very dark up the back of the playfields so watch the lighting up there

Look forward to progress.

#5 10 years ago

My first thought >> will you even be able to see the upper pf area/flipper since the projected image will block it?

The flipper is just below the projected image. Very easy to trap the ball and aim.

Is there a VUK for access to the upper pf also?

Only the ramp goes up to the upper playfield, and that right ramp is not difficult to shoot.

what is the window in the lower pf to?

Special effects

Do you have a cut-a-way to see the entire lower pf?

A very old one...

3-5-2013_HauntedCruise_-_Main_Only.jpg3-5-2013_HauntedCruise_-_Main_Only.jpg

#6 10 years ago

Well done so far.

#7 10 years ago

If you can pull this off, sign me up

#8 10 years ago

Very cool man, looks like my RFM is going to stick around for a while, I was on the bubble of letting it leave. But if new tables are coming out, its staying put.

#9 10 years ago

I better comment now so I can find this thread later, this looks very cool!

Let us know when we can sign up!

#10 10 years ago

Very impressive so far. Here's hoping a captive ball/and or spinners make it on that playfield!

#11 10 years ago

Looks great!

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I second this question. It looks like it is going to be challenging to see in that location. Heck, I can barely see the pops on RFM when they are in play; raising them would make the problem worse I would think. I am probably missing something though.

#13 10 years ago

Ghost ship meets luigis mansion, sounds interesting.

#14 10 years ago

I will be in on this one for sure!

#15 10 years ago

My first reaction was that this is awesome!

I did see Whysnow's comment and realize that that is a large concern; I wonder how useable the upper playfield will be.

Also, not trying to be overly critical, as I realize it's a work in progress, but I think that a ball coming down the right orbit is going to run right into the post for the slingshot.

#16 10 years ago

I am really curious to hear about the licensing issues. Its the main thing that held me back from seriously looking into creating my own P2K playfield.

#17 10 years ago

Great work so far sir! The theme is long overdue for pinball and the use of P2K for it is perfect. I look forward to following the progression of this. I'd love to have another kit to put into my RFM as I have been waiting for something like this to come about for years. Sign me up!

#18 10 years ago

awesome. i'm just waiting for the shoe to drop though

#19 10 years ago

Looks great. Nice unique layout. Hope it makes it to full production.

#20 10 years ago

Looks very cool. I agree on the licensing issue. In the thread about the nucore software being hacked and stolen, one of the owners of nucore said that they had to pay for a license because there is a patent on the display onto the glass. That could require payment here if the patent is still good.

#21 10 years ago

I'm in and I don't even own a 2K.

#22 10 years ago

Very cool!

In for one if it happens.

#23 10 years ago

I love the 2 playfield layout and the theme is brilliant for the Pin2k platform. There is a lot of potential for effects and incorperating them with the screen.

#24 10 years ago

Forgot to say put me in the Pre-order list when I posted earlier. Would love to see a new pin2000 game and the playfield looks like it will be fun.

#25 10 years ago

Looks cool, good luck!

#26 10 years ago

Very nice. Lots of potential, would love to see it made.

#27 10 years ago

Looks really good so far, definitely intrigued to see the progression.

#28 10 years ago

WOW! great potential here!! Looks amazing so far!

Subscribing to follow the progress!

Chris

#29 10 years ago

I really like that playfield design, and I've always felt P2K was the best pinball platform ever made.. it just never had enough games to show off its full potential.

#30 10 years ago

Wow, may have to find a cheap SWE1 to swap this into...which may take me to 2015 as it is!

#31 10 years ago

All .. as i've told the poster, PPS is supportive to figure out if/how we can get new P2K custom games like this to reality. PPS have most of the patents that are still active for P2K. What I have to look into is any code IP issues that may require wms, but assuming that is clear, then I think making new P2K kits could be done ... or at least we would be supportive to try to figure it out!

[email protected]

#32 10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm glad it's generally getting favorable reviews. I've spent a lot of time on this layout- years infact! I first sketched up this layout way back in 2010 http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=161549

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Ghost ship meets luigis mansion, sounds interesting.

I've been drawing a lot of inspiration for the overall atmosphere and tone of this game from Fatal Frame 2 (my favorite ghost game) and the first part of Disney's Haunted Mansion... So the mood of this table isn't going to be a silly jolly-ha-ha joke filled romp, but more of a legitimately spooky ghost story out to *slightly* scare or unsettle you in some instances.

Heheh... There's a couple game modes I thought up that will spook me a little bit when I play this game in the dark

If you are worried that this may not be family friendly, please don't worry! If your kid can make it through the Haunted Mansion with a smile, then they'll enjoy this game as well.

Quoted from Collin:

My first reaction was that this is awesome!
    I did see Whysnow's comment and realize that that is a large concern; I wonder how useable the upper playfield will be.

A few people have voiced this concern. One thing to realize about RFM and EP1 is the screen is meant to represent fairly solid objects: Aliens, Space Ships, Spinners, Video Screens, etc... The really nice thing about ghosts is that they are generally thought of as translucent. This means I can add more lighting on the screen covered sections then normal and not destroy the ghostly apparitions/mists/orbs effects. Pin2K's GI lighting is also amazingly programmable! I can change the lighting of the upper table (or individual GI lamps on the upper table) based on mode or ball position. There are lots of possibilities available to ensure the shots, flipper, and ball are visible and fun to play. But, if needed, I will absolutely tweak the physical locations of things.

Quoted from Collin:

Also, not trying to be overly critical, as I realize it's a work in progress, but I think that a ball coming down the right orbit is going to run right into the post for the slingshot.

It does hit the post, bounces around, then usually ends up safely going down the flipper's inlane. I will be tweaking this section quite a bit. My ultimate goal is to have soft plunged or weak right orbit shots to roll directly into the inlane (as a power inlane). A controlled right power inlane will then allow for a roll over or bounce over to the left flipper. Once on the left flipper, the ball will be set up for a shot back up the right orbit to the pops or up the ramp to the secondary playfield. That's a little bit of a ramble, but I think you get the idea.

Hope this clears some things up!
    -Lin

#33 10 years ago

Very impressive!!!

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I'm in and I don't even own a 2K.

I will help you set it up future!

#35 10 years ago

This is FANTASTIC!! I can't wait to watch the progress of this.

#36 10 years ago

This would make me want one.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from boo32:

Looks very cool. I agree on the licensing issue. In the thread about the nucore software being hacked and stolen, one of the owners of nucore said that they had to pay for a license because there is a patent on the display onto the glass. That could require payment here if the patent is still good.

This makes no sense. If he is not messing with the OS, and just updating the game code with original code, and he is using a brand new original playfield, then there can be no license issue. He is not going to be selling or making the cabinet/display system.

A person that wants to play his game, still needs to purchase a licensed cabinet/display system. There is no infringement on that patent.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from daley:

This makes no sense. If he is not messing with the OS, and just updating the game code with original code, and he is using a brand new original playfield, then there can be no license issue. He is not going to be selling or making the cabinet/display system.

Usage of that technology would actually infringe. The patent covers the holographic technique. I cannot freely create a game using any form of that particular holographic technology without gaining appropriate usage rights. Other licenses would need to be acquired as well.

Lets not derail this thread into a legal debate. It's my job to secure whatever needs to be secured for this project to become a reality. Just go with the knowledge that, in the end, things will all be taken care of when production/preorders begin.

#39 10 years ago

Looks awesome to me, great work, hope its a huge success for pinball.

#40 10 years ago

I'm curious to learn how you have tested the geometry of the projection on the upper playfield. Rather than a fan layout with shots mostly registering near the bottom of the projection, it seems that many of the shots will occur much higher on the image with most or all of the ball's path behind the projection. Making the ball visibly interact with the projected targets would seem to be a challenge.

#41 10 years ago

Ahh, good question! The other pin2k games did present the screen as more of a wall-of-image. Remember though, just because an image may be flat does not mean the final perceived illusion will be flat Position, rotation, scale, and lighting are invaluable tools.
    More about that at a later date...

#42 10 years ago

This is just bitchin, Lin! I love the progress so far. Are you using Solidworks to do your layouts? Things are looking great. I can't wait to see what comes next

#43 10 years ago

I support Linolium and his endeavor.
    2015 is a long way away; but I would consider a kit if reasonable. Maybe even a kickstarter.

#44 10 years ago

Looks amazing! My only feedback would be the upper playfield will block a lot of action, maybe consider increasing the size of the window.

#45 10 years ago

I'm going to ask the question that nobody has asked yet. How are you going to do the game software/hardware? I assume you're going to replace the Tin Box? I would think you would have to. Just asking. Also, I am SO on the list for one!

#46 10 years ago

In the near future I would love to see some cabinet art and translite

#47 10 years ago

Wow! Best of luck to you and your team.

#48 10 years ago

I love it! I'm glad to hear that there are people with a lot more free time than me to pursue things like this.

Jaz

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

I'm going to ask the question that nobody has asked yet. How are you going to do the game software/hardware? I assume you're going to replace the Tin Box? I would think you would have to. Just asking. Also, I am SO on the list for one!

Hopefully it's a brand new box. Computer technology has advanced leaps and bounds since 1999 and today's computers could *really* put on an amazing graphic display.

#50 10 years ago

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm going to use Unity3D as the game's engine. This will require a new cpu box that has modern processing and video capabilities. This setup has already been tested and will work fine.

There are 494 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-cruise-new-pinball2000-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.