(Topic ID: 51517)

Hauling pins: Smallest/most fuel efficient car possible

By Collin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fit.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    photo.JPG
    2012-12-09_21-52-29_235.jpg
    image.jpg
    $T2eC16JHJF0E9nmFQh!vBQGdCuURN!~~60_35.jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Hey all,

Now that I've no longer got the ability to borrow pin-moving vehicles from a family member, I need to figure out plan B. I suppose I could spend $100 to rent a minivan each time I want to pick up a game, but would sorta prefer to sell off my Protege5 and get something big enough to haul a normal DMD game with the head folded down. I want to avoid detaching backboxes when I can.

I've wondered if a Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, or Scion XB will haul a pin. Anyone know about any of those? What's the smallest and/or most fuel-efficient car you can think of that a pin can be hauled in?

Thanks,

Collin

#2 10 years ago

Chevy HHR-Never tried but with the seats folded down it would fit.32MPG

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Hey all,

I've wondered if a Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, or Scion XB will haul a pin. Anyone know about any of those?
    Collin

I would think a pin would fold those like a pop can.

#4 10 years ago

XB's will, both generations. Not sure if a soul or cube has enough distance behind the front seats to fit one... might be close.

The Honda Fit is always at the top of the list for fuel efficient pin hauling.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Do the seats fold flat into the floor?

*edit* never mind. I see it's a similar setup to my Mazda Protege5, just larger. That's actually a brilliant suggestion!

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from playpin35:

I would think a pin would fold those like a pop can.

A pin only weighs as much as a couple friends (or one corpulent friend.)

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from jasonpaulbauer:

XB's will, both generations. Not sure if a soul or cube has enough distance behind the front seats to fit one... might be close.

Yeah, I initially thought a Soul would be good, but it seems like they're smaller than I thought..... Hopefully someone has one and knows for sure.

Will a Fit actually take a normal-size pin with the backbox on? That would be amazing!

#8 10 years ago

I used to haul them in a PT Cruiser.

#9 10 years ago

My new Ford Escape is a good pin hauler with unusually good leg room (I am 6'6") and pretty good gas mileage.

#10 10 years ago

A Kia Soul does fit a pin... but you'll have to remove the head. I wouldn't choose one as a pin hauler, for that reason alone. A shame too, because otherwise it's a pretty nice vehicle, especially for the money.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

*edit* never mind. I see it's a similar setup to my Mazda Protege5, just larger. That's actually a brilliant suggestion!

Although I have a full-size truck I haul a ton of stuff in the HHR.And just for you I did some measuring.Lengthwise your fine 60-64inches depending on front seat location.Height it would be close 30 inches in the gate.It looks like a pin folded would be 28-29.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from flashburn:

A Kia Soul does fit a pin... but you'll have to remove the head. I wouldn't choose one as a pin hauler, for that reason alone. A shame too, because otherwise it's a pretty nice vehicle, especially for the money.

Okay. I could do that in the Protege5, so no sense in looking into a Soul any further. Thanks for clarifying that for me!

Quoted from Slugmeister:

Although I have a full-size truck I haul a ton of stuff in the HHR.And just for you I did some measuring.Lengthwise your fine 60-64inches depending on front seat location.Height it would be close 30 inches in the gate.It looks like a pin folded would be 28-29.

Awesome! I came up with about the same.

#13 10 years ago

Regarding the Fit - I found this on a Honda Fit forum:
    " It's 56" from the inside tailgate hatch to the top edge of the folded rear seatback-- more if you move the front seats forward."

Actually perfect for pin hauling! And it seems like it's a nice, flat area too. I'll need to look at one of those or an HHR, it looks like.

#14 10 years ago

3 cyl. honda

$T2eC16JHJF0E9nmFQh!vBQGdCuURN!~~60_35.jpg$T2eC16JHJF0E9nmFQh!vBQGdCuURN!~~60_35.jpg

#15 10 years ago

I have an old VW diesel truck, regularly gets 48 mpg. It's an ugly little thing. It's getting a rebuilt head and new head gasket. I wish they would make them again, I'd buy one in a flash.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

" It's 56" from the inside tailgate hatch to the top edge of the folded rear seatback-- more if you move the front seats forward."
    Actually perfect for pin hauling! And it seems like it's a nice, flat area too. I'll need to look at one of those or an HHR, it looks like.

Pretty sure there is a thread floating around with pics of a pin fitting in a FIT with ease. A local buddy recently got a FIT and said he did all of the measurements before buying and it works.

Has to be the most efficient and cost effective pinhauler.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Will a Fit actually take a normal-size pin with the backbox on? That would be amazing!

Everything I've seen here and RGP says yes.

#18 10 years ago

Although it doesn't matter to me I would like to see a pin fit in a "Fit"And MPG on those for the size isn't impressive at all.2 cents.

#19 10 years ago

Another to look at is the Mazda cx5. With manual trans its rated at 35mph highway as well...

#20 10 years ago

A guy came to my house to pick up a Judge Dredd in a Honda Fit. I said, Dude, no way. It's a superpin. That Fit just swallowed the JD whole. So once that was done I fully respected that little car.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I still own a 1981 honda civic wagon that works well for hauling!!!! Cheaper than the fit LOL. A 1,000 car! Runs strong ac blows cold still

Later,
    Rob

#22 10 years ago

toyota rav 4, I use my dads for hauling pins and it's got the same engine and is as efficient as my corolla

#23 10 years ago

I've borrowed a friend's Honda Fit to haul pins multiple times and it works great. Works nicely when you can move the passenger seat all the way forward and angle the pin so it goes from the back left to the front right for additional space. In other words, no need to move the driver's seat forward -- I had it most of the way back, exactly where I wanted it. Obviously, it's a different story if you have a passenger, and that's the only real drawback.

My friend's Fit is a 2012 model. I've heard that this latest design has a taller opening than the first generation ones.

#24 10 years ago

Honda fit yes they fit , VW jetta ( wagon ,diesel), We once got 2 EM pins in a new Ford focus hatchback .

#25 10 years ago

Another to look at is the Mazda cx5. With manual trans its rated at 35mph highway as well...

I got a cx5 in October.I've averaged 31mpg overall with the automatic. On a trip from Chicago to milwaukee i got 39mpg.most of my driving is not on the highway

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I've wondered if a Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, or Scion XB will haul a pin.

I saw a Scion XB at our ATL pin swap. I'm pretty sure it brought a pin with it.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

A guy came to my house to pick up a Judge Dredd in a Honda Fit. I said, Dude, no way. It's a superpin. That Fit just swallowed the JD whole. So once that was done I fully respected that little car.

My TZ got delievered in one of those. When I saw the car pull up I thought... huh? But yes there was a widebody in the back of it.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

My new Ford Escape is a good pin hauler with unusually good leg room (I am 6'6") and pretty good gas mileage.

I'll second this. It fits one pin perfectly without detaching the head. Mine is a V6 and it still gets pretty good gas mileage.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Nope, won't work. The backbox won't clear the top of the lift gate opening. You can only get a pin in about 3/4 of the way, the backbox wedges against the gate opening, then you have to tie down the lift gate. How do I know? I did it once, never again.

#30 10 years ago

Honda Fit, perfect.

Kia Soul, opening isn't big enough.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#31 10 years ago

92 Toyota corolla wagon 33-35 mpg! 302k just had a new timing belt put on it and driving it to Alaska tomorrow ... And genie fits in with room for tools and other pin stuff..

image.jpgimage.jpg

#32 10 years ago

Subaru outback wagon?

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

What's the smallest and/or most fuel-efficient car you can think of that a pin can be hauled in?
    Thanks,
    Collin

I've actually fit a Demo Man into a Chevy Volt and hauled it from Chicago back to Detroit. Mind you, I had to take the head off and put it in the passenger seat / resting on the center armrest (and had to remove the gun handles too)....but it can be done.

2012-12-09_21-52-29_235.jpg2012-12-09_21-52-29_235.jpg

Mileage winner!

Later,
    EV

#34 10 years ago

I used to have a 2007 Subaru Outback and for sure no on that. The new model I know nothing about.

#35 10 years ago

'05 Scion xB can haul a pin no problem. Here's Dr. Who in the back of mine, view from the front seat.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#36 10 years ago

Our Chrysler Town & Country does really good. 27-30mpg & very comfy & I think I could get two in it sided by side. Never tried, but I think 2 will fit. Anyone know for sure?

#37 10 years ago

Stevevt, since you told me used a Fit to move a pin, I can't help but visulaize a pin inside a Fit every time I see one. It gotta be the most compact car you can get one in.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Glad to hear that's the case with the new Escape. I use my wife's 2009 Escape and can fit a pin in while still having the small seat upright so my 8 year old can go with me on pin purchase trips. She is going to get a new Escape or Explorer next year (have another child now). Can you still put the small back seat upright with a pin in?

#39 10 years ago

i will second the scion xb - i have an 05 with 402,000 miles and it has hauled 100's of pins - they fit right in - you can also get a nib game in - you just have to move the front seat up a little - but all others slide right in perfectly.

thanks ed

#40 10 years ago

Full size Chevy pickup with V8 and 4WD?

Might be the worst mileage anyway

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from treibj:

I'll second this. It fits one pin perfectly without detaching the head. Mine is a V6 and it still gets pretty good gas mileage.

I will third it, my escape works great, you can get a hybrid as well.

#42 10 years ago

+1 on the Fit. Mine got 36mpg hauling Family Guy from Olympia to Seattle. Awesome car. image-3.jpgimage-3.jpg

#43 10 years ago

I haul my games in my 2012 VW sportwagen. 6 speed diesel. 45-50 MPG. Perfect car. Ive got 70,000 miles on it already.

#44 10 years ago

Rav4 is great for hauling a pin. If you are willing to take the head off, it will fit in a Scion xA as well.

Rav4 with a trailer hitch is a great choice for me. Always able to haul one, and for $30 at uhaul, you can pull a trailer that could haul probably 10 - 15.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

What's the smallest and/or most fuel-efficient car you can think of that a pin can be hauled in?

Just bought my second Honda Fit less than a week ago. I'd be surprised if there's a smaller car that can hold a pin with the head on. Not to mention, I'm 6'5" and comfortably drive with my seat all the way back while hauling a pin. Just slide the pin to the right and move the passenger seat forward.

Caveat: games with piano hinges like Strange Science are too tall, as the head folds directly onto the high part of the cabinet. You can take the head off the hinges, disconnect some cables, slide it further down, and strap it in more of a WPC/Stern position. Also, extra long cabinets like Panthera ride on the lip of the cargo area. You can strap the hatchback down within a few inches of closing, so it's not too bad. And of course, NIB games aren't a possibility in the Fit.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Can you still put the small back seat upright with a pin in?

I haven't tried, so I am not sure. The three or four times I've hauled pins I was alone and so didn't think about testing this option.

#47 10 years ago

anyone move a pin in a FORD FLEX??

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Quoted from Collin:

Yeah, the seats do fold down into the floor, and they get great mileage, but the opening height of the back hatch kind of makes it a bad pin hauler. I've hauled several different brands of pins in mine but I always have to remove the head to get them in. Yes, you can do the trick of just taking the hinge bolts loose and sliding the head down a little way to make it it fit, but I just take them all the way off to get them up my nasty staircase anyway.

Anyway, it's a great car with tons of room, even plenty of height, but hopefully on future models they make the hatch opening itself a little taller....

#49 10 years ago

Will fit in Honda cry

#50 10 years ago

Honda CRV

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hauling-pins-smallestmost-fuel-efficient-car-possible/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.