1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by maglar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 42 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0520181452 (1) (resized).jpg
    Super DUty (resized).JPG
    Trailer (1) (resized).JPG
    SANY2841 (resized).JPG
    SANY1924 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    38120510-5DF8-48D1-9E4A-2E5FD1D1C23D (resized).jpeg
    20180120_122734 (resized).jpg
    20180120_173526 (resized).jpg
    30261154_10156227746228529_6998126799074885632_n (resized).jpg
    29683429_10156220646228529_1975700598430892032_n (resized).jpg
    6930B18A-F75A-4545-BDE0-451CCFCD8A2B (resized).jpeg
    4CD58AF0-8802-4C9F-A251-166CFADE595D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0282 (resized).JPG
    IMG_201803132109430 (resized).JPG
    54db916c8d77134d68d3bab4_saturday-night-live-anniversary-ss07 (resized).png

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I'm looking at trading my suv in for a truck. With some changes in life and house projects, a pickup with be handy. I have a trailer but it is not covered.

The only thing holding me back from making the deal is making sure I can safely haul a pin in rain/snow. I wouldn't mind a topper, but they aren't easy to remove to then haul rock, or appliances.

zr2 topper (resized).jpg

I swear I remember seeing a tonneau cover where the middle ~2'x2' could stretch to cover a load, but I cannot find that now.

There is the soft top topper -
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-use-to-protect-your-pins-in-transport#post-4108898
    soft topper (resized).jpg

Bedder Cover
    http://www.beddercovers.com/
    It is like saran wrap / tarp'ing your truck bed. Seems like an ok option and not too expensive, however the game should still be wrapped up.
    overview (resized).jpg

Truck bed tarp/cap
    Not sure if these are water proof or will scratch/rub paint
    cargo cap (resized).jpg

Tonneau - but then have to wrap the heck out of the game and cover with tarp. Maybe some blocks to keep the game an inch or two off the bed floor.
    zr2 tonneau (resized).jpg

What are your recommendations / options for hauling a game safely and keeping the truck useful?

#2 1 year ago

http://hoisterdirect.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=925&language=en&currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsIGThdfk2QIVAsZkCh2hOg8xEAQYBiABEgLCHvD_BwE I put a topper on about a year ago and now do t have to worry about weather yay! I’m in the same boat and will likely go with something like this. I need to be able to take it off myself.

#3 1 year ago

Not sure I can help you with the bed cover part, but would be interested in seeing what you find. Just saw the Colorado’s and got to say I just bought one a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it!! Already hauled my first couple pins lol!!

AE6B1391-AA9A-4EEA-8F89-C977F0D16A90 (resized).jpeg

#4 1 year ago

Following. I need a solution too. Preferably something removable by one person without a hoist.

#5 1 year ago

The least inconvenient method will be tarp the pin. A headache rack mounted retractable tarp is probably the easiest if you want to carry it all the time. How often you haul a pin and how often it rains or snows makes a difference.
    Climate control is important for backglasses. You want to avoid extreme temps and rapid changes.

#6 1 year ago

Covers are overrated! I take the expedition when the weather is really bad!!

20180302_161531 (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago

Cover just wont work..

20170820_155319 (resized).jpg

20170820_155309 (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago

If it's a short trip I'll use my pickup. In the past, I rented a minivan on the long runs. Have since acquired a 16' enclosed trailer. A bit big but can't wait to try it one day.
    Btw, that red Colorado looks nice!

#9 1 year ago

My pick up was my only source at one time to haul pins. I made a lot of 6-8 hour each way trips for machines with a few close calls with weather every time. There’s a handle of options but none really seem to do it as well as a cap. I know because I tried many of them.

Finally picked up a cap which I swore I’d never do. Honestly, it’s been the best thing I’ve ever done and we have still fit anything and everything we’ve ever needed to haul. You can get them used for way less than 50% off. I lucked out and found one for my truck even in my color for a few hundred and it was like new and perfect. A cheap new cap can run $1200+ if you shop around. I got mine for $400-500 and it had optional lighting, extra tall option, and tie down bars. It was a $2500 cap.

#10 1 year ago

How often are you going to haul rocks or appliances in your truck? You said you have a trailer so I'd put the big bulky stuff in there. I've got a topper on my truck that I take off once a year when we go to Oshkosh and need to haul bikes, generators, gas cans, etc....
    The rest of the year the topper stays on and it's great. Getting the topper off is no big deal, 4 clamps, one plug and then with the help of my kids or the friendly neighbors and a beer or two, it's done in 15 minutes...
    I had a tonneau cover for a couple of years, looked cool, but if you hauled anything higher than the sides of the box, you had to roll it up and everything was exposed to the elements again. That and the Velcro seals on the sides started to wear out and the top would get loose, flapping in the wind. Totally lame! No regrets with the topper, you can hold a lot of stuff in there when going on vacations, trips to the see the family over Christmas, etc...
    I've got trailers to haul the rocks, messy items, furniture and the like. If weather is an issue that might effect what I'm hauling, well then, I wait it out if wrapping won't do or haul the item at a later time....

#11 1 year ago

If we are going on a longer trip and we're only planning on hauling one pin, I'll take the wife's Honda Odyssey. Better gas mileage and the floor of the van is closer to the ground than the truck bed!

#12 1 year ago

I have a SoftTopper on my 2015 Colorado ext cab. (before that, on a 2007 Tacoma)

Biggest issue Ive had is space between the wheel wells is too narrow for 2 modern pins side-by-side.
    (Single pin moving piece of cake.)

I can fit 2 older with heads removed fine (one head in back seat).
    Or one newer, one older, if I flip older on its side... Then they fit between wheel wells.

Obviously, with the soft topper folded back, you can stand modern pins on their back, and fit much more. But your exposed to elements.

Full sized pickup truck may have more space between the wells. Measure truck before buying.

#13 1 year ago

I love having the pickup. I've done long trips. 13 hours round trip once and even an overnight with the pin outside the hotel in my truck. I just asked the hotel about their security prior to arriving. Plus the tailgate locks. Check the weather, use tarps, whatever it takes. ......and it's great for other shit too!

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Cover just wont work..

The Garfield / Heathcliff hybrid seems happy to see you.

#15 1 year ago

I gave Kaneda podcast a shot to listen to it. He said that you are flat out crazy hauling a new pinball machine in a pickup truck. That was the last episode I listened to him as he talked about his Dodge SRT Demon.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from krazy53:

Not sure I can help you with the bed cover part, but would be interested in seeing what you find. Just saw the Colorado’s and got to say I just bought one a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it!! Already hauled my first couple pins lol!!

Which one!? What length bed?
    Do you think the pin would fit with the bed extender to hold it in?

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

http://hoisterdirect.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=925&language=en&currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsIGThdfk2QIVAsZkCh2hOg8xEAQYBiABEgLCHvD_BwE I put a topper on about a year ago and now do t have to worry about weather yay! I’m in the same boat and will likely go with something like this. I need to be able to take it off myself.

I have a wrangler now and yes, if you have the garage and room for a hoist system. they are amazing! So nice to be able to install yourself.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Cover just wont work..

What exactly is that?

#19 1 year ago

When I was younger I wouldn't own anything but a pick-up now you couldn't pay me to trade my van for a pick up regardless of what you offered me. After I bought my first van I thought "what the hell was I thinking when I didn't buy one of these before".

Last week I bought my 7th or 8th van and I have had one non stop for at least 25 years. I just bought a 3/4 ton Chevy 2500 series 2017 leftover with 4 miles on it. It has the trailer towing package (including brake controller) and the 6.0 V-8 engine but is otherwise just a big empty box and price was under $26k new. I can fit 4 fold down head machines in the back with no problem and don't ever think twice about weather I am moving machines in because it just doesn't matter with a van. But better yet I don't have to unload when I get home. Heck I have had machines in the van for a month with no issues.

So you guys that need to look cool in your pick up trucks more power to you but I am married and don't really care what statement I make when I am driving down the highway. All I care about at this point in my life is doing things the smart way. I could never understand people with pick up trucks thinking they made any sense at all. You drive down the road in something that has little to no protected cargo room and pay twice what they are worth for the honor of owning one?

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Cover just wont work..

Looks like a kiddie ride.

I bet that thing looked awesome going down the road!!

Edit: correction, Kitty ride
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

If it's a short trip I'll use my pickup. In the past, I rented a minivan on the long runs. Have since acquired a 16' enclosed trailer. A bit big but can't wait to try it one day.
    Btw, that red Colorado looks nice!

Mmm yeah. The zr2 colorado is nice looking, trying to find a white one

Renting a uhual small enclosed isn't a horrible option either, just you know if it is a rush pickup and can't plan.
    My other worst case, is swap cars with my wife who has a ford escape.

Quoted from dmacy:

My pick up was my only source at one time to haul pins. I made a lot of 6-8 hour each way trips for machines with a few close calls with weather every time. There’s a handle of options but none really seem to do it as well as a cap. I know because I tried many of them.
    Finally picked up a cap which I swore I’d never do. Honestly, it’s been the best thing I’ve ever done and we have still fit anything and everything we’ve ever needed to haul. You can get them used for way less than 50% off. I lucked out and found one for my truck even in my color for a few hundred and it was like new and perfect. A cheap new cap can run $1200+ if you shop around. I got mine for $400-500 and it had optional lighting, extra tall option, and tie down bars. It was a $2500 cap.

Man it seems any bed cover is expensive! Topper though, big bucks, ya. Congrats on the sweet pickup! Always awesome when you find one that matches color too!

Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

How often are you going to haul rocks or appliances in your truck? You said you have a trailer so I'd put the big bulky stuff in there. I've got a topper on my truck that I take off once a year when we go to Oshkosh and need to haul bikes, generators, gas cans, etc....
    The rest of the year the topper stays on and it's great. Getting the topper off is no big deal, 4 clamps, one plug and then with the help of my kids or the friendly neighbors and a beer or two, it's done in 15 minutes...
    I had a tonneau cover for a couple of years, looked cool, but if you hauled anything higher than the sides of the box, you had to roll it up and everything was exposed to the elements again. That and the Velcro seals on the sides started to wear out and the top would get loose, flapping in the wind. Totally lame! No regrets with the topper, you can hold a lot of stuff in there when going on vacations, trips to the see the family over Christmas, etc...
    I've got trailers to haul the rocks, messy items, furniture and the like. If weather is an issue that might effect what I'm hauling, well then, I wait it out if wrapping won't do or haul the item at a later time....

Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

If we are going on a longer trip and we're only planning on hauling one pin, I'll take the wife's Honda Odyssey. Better gas mileage and the floor of the van is closer to the ground than the truck bed!

hahah, Yeah, well my house is in need of many renovations, appliances are mostly done. Honestly, not a lot, and yes you are right, the trailer will be the one to take all the big nasty summer jobs. But furniture, plywood and sheet rock may be too big for topper? My trailer is currently burred in a snow pile :/ I could get it out if need be of course.

I can always borrow my wife's escape to grab, but then less passengers. It would be nice to have a full cab of people/family and a pin in the back

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

So you guys that need to look cool in your pick up trucks more power to you but I am married and don't really care what statement I make when I am driving down the highway. All I care about at this point in my life is doing things the smart way. I could never understand people with pick up trucks thinking they made any sense at all. You drive down the road in something that has little to no protected cargo room and pay twice what they are worth for the honor of owning one?

Go pickup 2 scoops of gravel with no trailer, then come back and tell us how dumb we are. SMH

#23 1 year ago

It's nice to have the full size pickup. You can close the tailgate when hauling one pin without standing it on end. If the game is in nice shape or if I'm going a distance I put packing blankets and a tarp over it.

20170921_172228 (resized).jpg

20180113_145050 (resized).jpg

#24 1 year ago

When I was younger I wouldn't own anything but a pick-up now you couldn't pay me to trade my van for a pick up regardless of what you offered me. After I bought my first van I thought "what the hell was I thinking when I didn't buy one of these before".
    Last week I bought my 7th or 8th van and I have had one non stop for at least 25 years. I just bought a 3/4 ton Chevy 2500 series 2017 leftover with 4 miles on it. It has the trailer towing package (including brake controller) and the 6.0 V-8 engine but is otherwise just a big empty box and price was under $26k new. I can fit 4 fold down head machines in the back with no problem and don't ever think twice about weather I am moving machines in because it just doesn't matter with a van. But better yet I don't have to unload when I get home. Heck I have had machines in the van for a month with no issues.

I have no problem having a van for a 3rd or more vehicle. But my daily/winter car I want to have a fun one. Summer car is a couple so won't fit a pin. As long as I can haul a pin in my daily, I'm good.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

It's nice to have the full size pickup. You can close the tailgate when hauling one pin without standing it on end. If the game is in nice shape or if I'm going a distance I put packing blankets and a tarp over it.

So when hauling a game with no topper/potential weather. I'm thinking just use the packing wrap and do the game, then do you wrap the tarp around the game before loading or after the game is in the bed?

Do you put something under the game to hold it above the bed and any water?

#26 1 year ago

Gotta have fun! Cargo van won't me get where I want to go when camping.

image (resized).jpeg

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

So when hauling a game with no topper/potential weather. I'm thinking just use the packing wrap and do the game, then do you wrap the tarp around the game before loading or after the game is in the bed?
    Do you put something under the game to hold it above the bed and any water?

I set the game on an old TV box and slide it into the truck that way. Then I put the blankets and tarp on. The way its wrapped, it can handle a little weather but I wouldn't be comfortable going a distance in a down pour that way. I usually haul them based on the weather forecast.

#28 1 year ago

Since we're on the topic of trucks, I bought an F-150 in December and want to put in a bed liner. I want to get the spray-in rubber type liner and was wondering what brand to use. I've read good things about Line-X, does anybody have any experience with them or any other brand?

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Yes, if you can afford it, I would definitely be looking at a full size truck.
    You need something big to get through all that snow in Duluth and 4 wheel drive to be able to make it up the hill to the mall!

The ability to haul 2 or more pins at short notice is a nice option.

Trucks are kind of like tv's in that no one really complains if they got the model that was "Too Big"! (other than the spouse!)

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Looks like a kiddie ride.
    I bet that thing looked awesome going down the road!!
    Edit: correction, Kitty ride
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yup, its a kitty ride. I must have heard 20x, " dad, somebody is taking a picture" lol.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Yup, its a kitty ride. I must have heard 20x, " dad, somebody is taking a picture" lol.

Lmao. That's hilarious. Wasn't going to mention it, but I cant get over how in pic it looks like typical cat sticking its butt up at you. Lol.

I dont know if you like cats or not, but I bet the guys in the cat and pinball thread would het a kick out of your pics

#32 1 year ago

Double post

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Yes, if you can afford it, I would definitely be looking at a full size truck.
    You need something big to get through all that snow in Duluth and 4 wheel drive to be able to make it up the hill to the mall!
    The ability to haul 2 or more pins at short notice is a nice option.
    Trucks are kind of like tv's in that no one really complains if they got the model that was "Too Big"! (other than the spouse!)

Timing is key when buying. I'm not rich either. I bought my 2011 in January 2012. They took about 12k off of the msrp and gave me a bed liner, steps, and rail protectors.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Lmao. That's hilarious. Wasn't going to mention it, but I cant get over how in pic it looks like typical cat sticking its butt up at you. Lol.
    I dont know if you like cats or not, but I bet the guys in the cat and pinball thread would het a kick out of your pics

I've posted my actual cats there, not this picture....

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Timing is key when buying. I'm not rich either. I bought my 2011 in January 2012. They took about 12k off of the msrp and gave me a bed liner, steps, and rail protectors.

Lol, me as well! A person isn't getting rich when you're busy spending your own money! I shopped the whole state looking for my truck before finding the model, color and deal I wanted. Also bought just as the next years models were coming out in the summer of 2012.

Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

Since we're on the topic of trucks, I bought an F-150 in December and want to put in a bed liner. I want to get the spray-in rubber type liner and was wondering what brand to use. I've read good things about Line-X, does anybody have any experience with them or any other brand?

I looked at products like that but in the end decided the cost of having it put in and then the resale value when it was time to sell wasn't there. I ended up buying the black heavy duty rubber F150 mat from the dealership for like $130. Nice 'n grippy, keeps dings from happening to the floor, pull it out a few times a year to wash out the truck box, no problems... money well spent!

#36 1 year ago

I've hauled tons of games in my brother's pickup and it's always been great. Even when it rains hard, when you're moving, very little actually goes in or hits the bed just with the aerodynamics of the design. If you wrap a game when you know rain might be an issue in plastic ramp and then tarp over it, even in heavy rain, you'll get it back home safe and dry in an open bed truck that's moving.

#37 1 year ago

Here is a picture of me hauling an nice IM back from last year's Allentown show. It rained on the way home but the game stayed dry. My tips:

1. "Bedrug" works much better than those hard plastic liners because stuff doesn't slide around.
    2. Wrap the game in moving blankets then plastic cling wrap before you put it in the truck. Tarps flap around too much for my tastes in less you put plastic wrap over them or really strap them down.
    3. Put the game on a couple pieces of wood so that if water gets in the bed the game won't be sitting in it.
    4. Strap the game down.

IMG_9278 (resized).jpg

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I've posted my actual cats there, not this picture....

Thought I remembered you on thay thread, but couldn't remember....still, be funny on there

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I gave Kaneda podcast a shot to listen to it. He said that you are flat out crazy hauling a new pinball machine in a pickup truck.

Eventually people will clue in that he doesn't know anything about the hobby.. he just talks alot.

#40 1 year ago

In a perfect world I'd have a Sprinter van with a lift gate. No worries about weather. Don't have to worry about where to park a trailer at a show or at home, etc... But the world ain't perfect.

-Steve

#41 1 year ago

Really?? You can’t be serious. You generalize all pickup truck owners as not doing things the “smart way”?? Haha wow. When you owned your pickup truck maybe you just never figured out how to put it in 4wd?? Or maybe you just had a 2wd truck? Either way I’d love to see your van do some off roading in 2wd and not get miserably stuck in some mud, snow, or sand. Sure lots of people have “bro trucks” that never see off road ever but I think the majority of people that need trucks also need 4wd with the convenience of an open payload design. Wayyy more uses for a pickup truck than hauling pinball machines. You need to get out more it sounds haha.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Really?? You can’t be serious. You generalize all pickup truck owners as not doing things the “smart way”?? Haha wow. When you owned your pickup truck maybe you just never figured out how to put it in 4wd?? Or maybe you just had a 2wd truck? Either way I’d love to see your van do some off roading in 2wd and not get miserably stuck in some mud, snow, or sand. Sure lots of people have “bro trucks” that never see off road ever but I think the majority of people that need trucks also need 4wd with the convenience of an open payload design. Wayyy more uses for a pickup truck than hauling pinball machines. You need to get out more it sounds haha.

Here is a pic of my Tacoma out doing some pickup truck stuff in a non smart way lol

BE1A95D2-2B36-4DD0-81A2-E186E1EF9F00 (resized).jpeg

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Can't agree more about the tonneau cover. Had them for years but limited and not the best for the pinball hobby. I never had the need to take my topper/cap off yet but two of us have installed it easily so it wouldn't be a big deal. It's nice to use it for pinball hauling and the other dozens of things we all do regularly. I haven't had to tow many cars or horses in the past few years but it's done it well. As expected, the mileage isn't as good as a mini van/van, but for the 4-5k miles I put on a year it's not an issue. As a man asked me at the fuel while watching me put in 93 octane (Truck has had a tune on it since I bought it new) and asked, "how much mileage?". I said I didn't buy a truck to care....!

IMG_5875 (resized).JPG

IMG_7439 (resized).JPG

#44 1 year ago

When I had my pickup I had an F-250 4x4 with more invested in customization then I paid for the truck new. I was "young & dumb" and had a lot of fun with it back in the day. But it was far from a practical vehicle to haul a pinball machine in. Fast forward 10 or 12 years and I bought my first van and realized that was the way to go and have never looked back. If you want a "toy" to "show off" and have some fun with a pickup is a great vehicle if you don't mind getting "hosed" paying what they cost these days. But if you want the best work vehicle for your money a 2500 or 3500 Chevy Van wins hands down. You can still tow about 8000 pounds & I have had 5000 pounds in my last one with no issues. In fact one trip I made I had over 5000 pounds in the van and was towing an exclosed trailer with over 10000 pounds in it and the Chevy handled it all with no issues.

The things that make van better than a pickup with a cap (which is actually just a dumb way to get something close to a van):

1st) Lower deck height (for much easier loading). For me to load a pin is no issue doing it alone. Just handtruck to pin to about 2' from back bumper - take handtruck from under pin - lean pin into back of the truck & slide it right it. Try doing that with any pickup!

2nd) I can haul 4 fold down head pins or 6 removable head pins (with a little creative stacking) in out of the weather.

3rd) I can open a side door and reach in and grab anything I need without having to climb into the back of a pickup with a cap on it

4th) If on a road trip I can climb in the back and go to sleep without ever having to get out of the vehicle and better yet I can warm it up or cool it down back there so I can sleep in pretty much any weather with no issues.

5th) And likely the best thing about buying new vans I can buy one for about 40% less than a new pickup and it has just as much load & towing capacity with the same engine & trans as the pickup for way less money.

Pickup truck lovers will never understand all of this but that is OK in my book because the more popular pickup trucks stay and the less popular vans are the longer I can keep buying them cheap. Like the salesman was saying the other day "vans are loss leaders" and no one makes any money on them. "The reason a company keep making and selling them is to be sure their customers don't go somewhere else to buy a van and then start buying all there vehicles at that dealer".

Next time you see a NEW 3/4 ton pickup for under $26,000 let me know! And when I pass you in my van with my stuff staying dry in the rain or snow I'll keep laughing at you.

As far as the off-roading end of things -- a street legal pickup is about worthless anyway. If you what to have some serious fun off-roading why not build a truck for that and tow it with your new van to where you want to do your off-roading. Doing it that way you can be driving a practical vehicle and keep your tools & gear locked up while having fun off-roading. And you could likely build a hell of an off-roading truck with the $20,000 spread between the cost of a new pickup and a new van!

Agree or disagree - I really don't care. This coming week I'll be making a 5000 mile round trip to pick up another 11 machines & load of parts I bought. I'll be traveling in my new van with my enclosed trailer not worrying about where I am sleeping or the weather. Once loaded I have no choice but a motel but the trip out I'll save enough for fuel by sleeping in the van.

#45 1 year ago

When I had my pickup I had an F-250 4x4 with more invested in customization then I paid for the truck new. I was "young & dumb" and had a lot of fun with it back in the day. But it was far from a practical vehicle to haul a pinball machine in. Fast forward 10 or 12 years and I bought my first van and realized that was the way to go and have never looked back. If you want a "toy" to "show off" and have some fun with a pickup is a great vehicle if you don't mind getting "hosed" paying what they cost these days. But if you want the best work vehicle for your money a 2500 or 3500 Chevy Van wins hands down. You can still tow about 8000 pounds & I have had 5000 pounds in my last one with no issues. In fact one trip I made I had over 5000 pounds in the van and was towing an exclosed trailer with over 10000 pounds in it and the Chevy handled it all with no issues.
    The things that make van better than a pickup with a cap (which is actually just a dumb way to get something close to a van):
    1st) Lower deck height (for much easier loading). For me to load a pin is no issue doing it alone. Just handtruck to pin to about 2' from back bumper - take handtruck from under pin - lean pin into back of the truck & slide it right it. Try doing that with any pickup!
    2nd) I can haul 4 fold down head pins or 6 removable head pins (with a little creative stacking) in out of the weather.
    3rd) I can open a side door and reach in and grab anything I need without having to climb into the back of a pickup with a cap on it
    4th) If on a road trip I can climb in the back and go to sleep without ever having to get out of the vehicle and better yet I can warm it up or cool it down back there so I can sleep in pretty much any weather with no issues.
    5th) And likely the best thing about buying new vans I can buy one for about 40% less than a new pickup and it has just as much load & towing capacity with the same engine & trans as the pickup for way less money.
    Pickup truck lovers will never understand all of this but that is OK in my book because the more popular pickup trucks stay and the less popular vans are the longer I can keep buying them cheap. Like the salesman was saying the other day "vans are loss leaders" and no one makes any money on them. "The reason a company keep making and selling them is to be sure their customers don't go somewhere else to buy a van and then start buying all there vehicles at that dealer".
    Next time you see a NEW 3/4 ton pickup for under $26,000 let me know! And when I pass you in my van with my stuff staying dry in the rain or snow I'll keep laughing at you.
    As far as the off-roading end of things -- a street legal pickup is about worthless anyway. If you what to have some serious fun off-roading why not build a truck for that and tow it with your new van to where you want to do your off-roading. Doing it that way you can be driving a practical vehicle and keep your tools & gear locked up while having fun off-roading. And you could likely build a hell of an off-roading truck with the $20,000 spread between the cost of a new pickup and a new van!
    Agree or disagree - I really don't care. This coming week I'll be making a 5000 mile round trip to pick up another 11 machines & load of parts I bought. I'll be traveling in my new van with my enclosed trailer not worrying about where I am sleeping or the weather. Once loaded I have no choice but a motel but the trip out I'll save enough for fuel by sleeping in the van.

You make some great points seriously. Thanks for replying. I agree with you about all of it except the off roading aspect. I think a lot of people don’t want to deal with two vehicles and maintaining two vehicles. Storing two vehicles is also a problem sometimes. A pickup truck is a kind of “do it all” vehicle and that’s what attracts people to them IMO. If a van works for you that’s awesome. But a truck works for lots of people also and it is far from stupid. Just my opinion.

#46 1 year ago

To put my question into context.

I have a 16' Wrangler rubicon HR w/ manual trans. I also have a summer only SS that is track prepped but driving it to the track and back kind of sucks, because if you break something....good luck getting home. I've had an SUV for a while and it made hauling games easy and nice, but you lose the back seat passengers. Now with the house projects, the ability to tow my car, I am thinking a truck wouldn't be so bad. I had looked at raptors before the Jeep, but I was sooooo stuck on a manual trans. Now after owning the jeep (I don't rock crawl), it is a rough ride, manual is fine but gets annoying if you tow/reverse or go in a busy city. I love having the top off and manual, but a cool car vs utility may have to take a back seat for a few years. Also my wife cannot drive stick, so I can't swap cars with her now, however with a truck (auto) I can. incase of pinball pick up in the rain

Looking at a colorado ZR2 duramax diesel. The cargo length of the bed is 61.70" and i think a pin is under 60. So it should just barely fit length wise.

#47 1 year ago

You make some great points seriously. Thanks for replying. I agree with you about all of it except the off roading aspect. I think a lot of people don’t want to deal with two vehicles and maintaining two vehicles. Storing two vehicles is also a problem sometimes. A pickup truck is a kind of “do it all” vehicle and that’s what attracts people to them IMO. If a van works for you that’s awesome. But a truck works for lots of people also and it is far from stupid. Just my opinion.

My van is my daily driver and is basically a smaller footprint that a full size pickup so the only real down side to a full size van is parking garages & not looking cool. I don't live in town so parking garages are rarely an issue and I am old & married so I don't feel the need to "look cool". Like I keep telling pickup people (especially the ones with caps on their trucks) - "keep doing it the hard way if you want but I can get a new van ever 3 or 4 years and still be spending less then you are buying a new pickup truck every 7 or 8 years".

I know I'll never talk anyone into buying a van and I really don't care. I just like being the one doing things the "smart way" and that is good enough for me. In a perfect world I would love to own a van and an economy car but with 2 enclosed cargo trailers, a camper, and my wives mini van in the driveway I just don't have room for an economy vehicle. And yes - I did talk my wife into the mini van instead of a "normal car" because to gives me a cheaper way for picking up less than 8 machines. When I am picking up a "smaller load" of machines I just use her mini van and my 6x12 trailer. When picking up a bigger load of stuff I grab the big trailer & my full size van.

#48 1 year ago

I have had my Tacoma for over a year and in that glorious year I haven’t moved a single game in it, go figure.

#49 1 year ago

Excellent points too-many-pins. I agree the van is the best route if you're moving pins as much as you or have things you're moving (people, pets, or otherwise). Sounds like everyone has a unique situation. It's just my wife and I and a van isn't really necessary. For us, we can't do enough of the things we need to like a pick up and cap will provide: hauling dirty crap we don't want to mess up an interior with(hauling horse related mostly these days), hauling a car, moving horses, picking up family junk to have fixed, etc. I have a small diesel wagon to do the small jobs (pinball which I'm doing little these days)/commute with. She has a small compact car.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

To put my question into context.

Looking at a colorado ZR2 duramax diesel. The cargo length of the bed is 61.70" and i think a pin is under 60. So it should just barely fit length wise.

Not sure what your future family plans are, but if you going to have more kids, pets, going on trips, I'd strongly suggest you check out all the full size pickup models out there. For the eye opening prices new vehicles command these days there doesn't seem to be as big a split in the prices from small/medium to full-size. Usually for not much more in price you can basically get a vehicle that is 50% larger in size. Plus you have more room in the box as well, no issues with something that 'barely fits'....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 10.95
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside