Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pimp77
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2446 (resized).PNG
    #1 7 years ago

Did you ever play a pinball machine you hated, because you didn't like code? Mine was Metallica. Huge fan of the band, but when i first played the machine I didn't like it. It played it and thought it was to slow for a metal band and after playing a fast paced AC/DC I didn't think the game would ever get any better. For the first time giving the game another chance with the new code , I fell in love it. The code blew my mind. I love stacking muiltiballs while jamming out to one of my favorite bands. When the game first came out , I tried and tried to get into it, but I couldn't . I played it a few months ago on location and it started feeling amazing like i wanted it be the first time. I just recently bought the road case premium and I know i enjoy the hell out of it. It seems faster and it blows the pro out of the water. I enjoyed my Kiss LE, but had to let it go, because the code is terrible and i kept trying to enjoy it, but Stern doesn't seem to care. Now I'm a true believer a code breaks or makes a game. On the other hand I bought a Tron LE months in advance, because i love the theme and got lucky, because they kept working on the code for years later. Now I feel like I need to wait before I purchase new games. I'm still waiting on my Ghostbusters premium and Rob Zombie pre-order. I really enjoy the Ghostbusters pro, but still in the dark with Rob Zombie.

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobOOZE:

Did you ever play a pinball machine you hated, because you didn't like code? Mine was Metallica.

Code couldn't save this one for me. If I had to hear Seek and Destroy stuck in a loop one more time, I might have actually destroyed it.

#3 7 years ago

That's funny. It does loop the songs.

#4 7 years ago

TWD. Played a Pro on release and cancelled my LE pre order because it was so bad. 1 year later ordered a premium with the current code and it's now one of my favourite games.

#5 7 years ago

How about every Stern in the last 5 years?

#6 7 years ago

I was really excited for AC/DC, but when it was revealed I wasn't digging it - and then didn't think much of it when I played it...but when that big code update hit that added/changed a ton of stuff, it completely changed my opinion of it - I fell in love and ordered a Premium!

I also ordered a BDK in 2010 when the long awaited code update hit, as I felt like it made the game much more fun and complete.

#7 7 years ago

How does Met premium blow Met pro out of the water? They're about even in my opinion if not pro has the edge.

#8 7 years ago

TWD and Hobbit for me. Some of my favorite pins now

#9 7 years ago

TWD for sure

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

How does Met premium blow Met pro out of the water? They're about even in my opinion if not pro has the edge.

Color changing light show, color changing inserts, snake jaw, rising cross, hammer and coffin lock. This info has been available for what, 4 years now?

Pro has zero edge. Prem/LE has more stuff and it's all awesome.

#11 7 years ago

Prem has spinners for Met too

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Color changing light show, color changing inserts, snake jaw, rising cross, hammer and coffin lock. This info has been available for what, 4 years now?

Doesn't blow the pro away.

IMG_2446 (resized).PNGIMG_2446 (resized).PNG

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Doesn't blow the pro away.

It's a substantially cooler game. Pro is solid, but why not go all the way with one of Borg and Lyman's best!? Pro only has an edge if you don't like super cool shit!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

TWD. Played a Pro on release and cancelled my LE pre order because it was so bad. 1 year later ordered a premium with the current code and it's now one of my favourite games.

I agree. TWD. I thought it was crap... And then Lyman did his thing. He took a brutal game I hated and turned it into a brutal game that rocks.

#15 7 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned X-Men yet.

#16 7 years ago

My vote is for WOZ. Didn't care for it early on and it really took some time but the code made this a pretty cool game.

#17 7 years ago

TWD is the epitome of this thread's title.

#18 7 years ago

I agree with TWD. First time I played it I was yawning, then it just kept getting better and better. When it first came out the code was awful. Was it the worst ever for an initial release?

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Agreed. This is hands down the biggest 180 flip I've ever experienced. From total turd to seriously almost my favorite pin.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I was really excited for AC/DC, but when it was revealed I wasn't digging it - and then didn't think much of it when I played it...but when that big code update hit that added/changed a ton of stuff, it completely changed my opinion of it - I fell in love and ordered a Premium!
    I also ordered a BDK in 2010 when the long awaited code update hit, as I felt like it made the game much more fun and complete.

Hey Rare, I seriously hope GB will end up the same story too. Here's hoping.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Why? It was a steaming pile of shit upon release and is now a polished turd.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Aw c'mon man. It's not that bad.
    I'm seriously having a LOT of fun with it, and in the end, that's all I have to go on.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

To be honest I have *nothing* against Met premium. I think it's great. However by extension that does not mean Met pro is not also great. The post above said Premium blows the pro out of the water which it *clearly* does not. It's in the same ballpark much like Tron LE / pro. They're both about the same.

You can say the hammer ball lock is great but my friend got one and spent an eternity trying to get it to work, had to fix/repair the subway endlessly and he bought it new. I'm pretty sure he'd rather have had the pro. I bet the spinners, cross and lights are nice but can be lived without. Pro has better captive ball and the snake honestly I don't feel myself missing the variant snake.

Substantially they are identical twins with maybe one slightly better but also substantially more money.

While I've had and appreciate premium and LE pins for their better somewhat features they also cost more.

For the cost of a STLE and GBLE with modsb(both great) I can have GB, ST, and Met pro with more mods. With the premium it's probably 3:4 ratio meaning every three premium pins you can get an extra pro.

Also since I've played very little of Met premium I don't really miss the spinners etc..

It's not like there is a giant upper PF missing it's the same game. It's like a great car vs the same car with more options.

Finally I think the pro flows great, no ball lock no snake whatnot it's just pure simple great fun.

#24 7 years ago

For me it was Avengers LE. When I first got it I had to make tons of adjustments and the code was not polished. Now that it is dialed in and code is refined it has really become a fun game.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I will take my X-MEN over your Family Guy any day of the week. X-MEN has been a fantastic game throughout the code updates-different strokes for different folks. No pinball machine deserves to be called a turd. X-MEN is the full package with third flipper, spinning magnetic disk, pop-up Nightcrawlers, Magneto and Wolverine magnets, moving ice ramp, and a great layout that flows well. The mini-playfield on Family Guy is really pretty comical and I think it is lame.

#25 7 years ago

XM did get substantially better but IMO suffers from what I call 'good enough' meaning people accept it as done. If this was not Stern and they did not also have Tron, IM, Met, TWD, GB, ACDC, SM, ST in their portfolio they probably have finished or improved the code.

XM came out a bit before Woz during that time XM had a few code updates while Woz had many. XM got substantially better but when it was utter shit it's not hard to get substantially better.

I'm not pointing fingers it is what it is, Stern doesn't go the extra mile unless it's Lyman. They're the 'good enough' company. Good enough and they do make great games but they don't give much thought if the code is great, just so long as it keeps score and has mildly ok rules and such they know some people will keep the pin for a while and move on. Maybe the don't want to make every game keepers if every game was fantastic it's harder to get rid of and that'd lessen demand for the next 'number 1' pin.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm enjoying it more than anything in my collection at the moment. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a substantially cooler game. Pro is solid, but why not go all the way with one of Borg and Lyman's best!? Pro only has an edge if you don't like super cool shit!

I just don't like super unreliable shit. Last night on a friends Premium I lit coffin lock 3, drilled the goofy metal cube, the hammer failed to capture my ball, drained, game over. I will stick with the pro + total light package + spinners. Other stuff is just bling, not pinball.

One other thing I can't stand is that the hammer obstructs the view of the ball when anticipating a drop catch with the left flipper.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I just don't like super unreliable shit. Last night on a friends Premium I lit coffin lock 3, drilled the goofy metal cube, the hammer failed to capture my ball, drained, game over. I will stick with the pro.

Pro is the way to go

Hammer is big & clunky, Coffin lock is un-reliable, and it kills flow

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

For me it was Avengers LE. When I first got it I had to make tons of adjustments and the code was not polished. Now that it is dialed in and code is refined it has really become a fun game.

good to hear. I got a huo hulk I'm picking up at york. Been waiting for to pick this bad boy up for over a month now.time has been moving like this.....tick..........................toc.................tick.......................tock.......................tic......................toc.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Pro is the way to go
    Hammer is big, clunky, Coffin lock is un-reliable, and it kills flow

There is a whole page of quotes about simplicity and how there is beauty in simplicity sometime adding on a mechanism for the sake of adding a mechanism does not make a better pin. Example BG ramp on TWD or moving ramp on XMLE
    image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I will take my X-MEN over your Family Guy any day of the week. X-MEN has been a fantastic game throughout the code updates-different strokes for different folks. No pinball machine deserves to be called a turd. X-MEN is the full package with third flipper, spinning magnetic disk, pop-up Nightcrawlers, Magneto and Wolverine magnets, moving ice ramp, and a great layout that flows well. The mini-playfield on Family Guy is really pretty comical and I think it is lame.

You're criticizing a game you clearly haven't played much or understand. You're comparing a Borg/Waison game to a Lawlor/Johnson. Have you even played Stewie Multiball? Trying to play both fields at the same time and alternate jackpots between them is brilliant and fun.

#32 7 years ago

SM. It was terrible unfinished code upon release. It also shipped with posts in the lowest positions and you could play unfinished code all day! I hated it. A year and a half later the code was solid and raising the posts all the way helped tremendously. It is now a top 3 game for me.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I just don't like super unreliable shit. Last night on a friends Premium I lit coffin lock 3, drilled the goofy metal cube, the hammer failed to capture my ball, drained, game over. I will stick with the pro + total light package + spinners. Other stuff is just bling, not pinball.
    One other thing I can't stand is that the hammer obstructs the view of the ball when anticipating a drop catch with the left flipper.

Setting 91 now (was 89). Change it and all your problems go away.

For me the game was Met. Didn't like it at all when it first came out. Not sure which code update it was but when CIU was added is when I started liking the game and is when I bought mine.

#34 7 years ago

I might be the only person on earth that loved TWD from the beginning. Haha

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I might be the only person on earth that loved TWD from the beginning. Haha

You are not by any means. It's just that some pinsiders love making up narratives to account for their historical actions.

#36 7 years ago

Thanks for everyone's input. First of all I need to play TWD again. I bought the TWD LE NIB when it first came out and thought it was ok. I did one code update to it and it still was alright , not much changed. Also , I had to keep adjusting the zombie head toy switches. One week it would play fine and then the next none of zombie switches seemed to be reading. The game started driving me crazy. The code wasn't good and I had to keep fixing it. I ended up selling it to get the Kiss LE. I liked the Kiss game, but the code got worst on the update. Now I sold it to get the Ghostbusters premium. I love playing the Ghostbusters pro, so I hope the premium is awesome when I get it.
    Now on Metallica I played the old original code on the pro and played the new code on pro that got me back into the game. When my distributor just happened to have a premium in stock while I'm waiting and waiting for my Ghostbusters. I jump on it. In my opinion the premium blows the pro out of the water, because I love the hammer lock ball, snake mouth, and the amazing light show. I don't think I'll ever play the pro again.
    "Simpler is better" is a quote that I agree on with the AC/DC game. I always enjoyed the pro over LE/premium, because I don't like the lower playfield. I think it slows the game up and isn't that much fun to play. I really enjoy the Tron, Walking Dead, Metallica, and Kiss LE/ premium over the pro. I always in enjoy game with a real locking mechanism. I hate playing a game by hitting something over and over and it just says the ball is locked. locked into what?....nothing.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You're wrong. Not often, but in this case....yeah. It's no more a "polished turd" than Transformers, or GoT. The shots are challenging (even more so if you leave Wolverine in his original place), and it has a good risk/reward mechanic, PLUS Danger Room is one of the most fun mini/full wizard modes I've ever played.

The sounds are a steaming pile for the most part. I think we can all agree on that, but the actual code and rules? Come on. It's not even REMOTELY awful....unlike WWE (which is crippled by the layout as well), or IJ4. It's challenging and deep, and forces the player to use the entire playfield, not just hammer the same shot over and over, and deliberately rewards you for delaying the start of Magneto until you have more X-Men collected.

*Edit* I do agree that Family Guy is the better game, ruleswise. I used to HATE that mini-playfield until I started playing games that limited the time up there. With that one change it goes from being painfully wood-chopping to a challenge.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The sounds are a steaming pile for the most part. I think we can all agree on that, but the actual code and rules? Come on. It's not even REMOTELY awful....unlike WWE (which is crippled by the layout as well), or IJ4. It's challenging and deep, and forces the player to use the entire playfield, not just hammer the same shot over and over, and deliberately rewards you for delaying the start of Magneto until you have more X-Men collected.

OK, I'll give you that...it's better than WWE and IJ4. *handshake*

(But I'd rather just not play any of them lol)

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

SM. It was terrible unfinished code upon release. It also shipped with posts in the lowest positions and you could play unfinished code all day! I hated it. A year and a half later the code was solid and raising the posts all the way helped tremendously. It is now a top 3 game for me.

I don't recall it being terrible...and SM's level of "unfinished" was different than what we see today as unfinished. If I recall, the big Spidey updates added some missing Sandman animation, the Daily Bugle transitions, some more shaker choreography & FX, some cooler light shows...did it add any significant gameplay changes, or was it all just frosting? I mean, I definitely remember how amazing the "frosting" made the game feel...really tied it together - but I feel like it always had solid bones...the overall concept never really changed.

#40 7 years ago

Anyone notice a theme here?

Lyman coded pins are mentioned far more than any other. AC/DC, TWD, and MET are all great examples of pins that improved tremendously after Lyman had the time to get the code up to his standard.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

How does the current GB issue feel to you compared to how X-Men felt early on? I was lucky enough to avoid the early shit storm on X-Men, but fully lived the Metallica wait for finished code, and KISS, and now going through that period where I'm figuring out just how annoying the GB mode ladder is. In short, was X-Men so bad early that it tainted it forever, as opposed to GB, that with a bit of tweaking can flip to awesome?

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Anyone notice a theme here?
    Lyman coded pins are mentioned far more than any other. AC/DC, TWD, and MET are all great examples of pins that improved tremendously after Lyman had the time to get the code up to his standard.

I think Lyman thinks of code like a good screenwriter. Writes it backwards from rewarding payoff, and completes all the necessary build-up to get there. Other coders seem to be thinking from the beginning and then stack things on.

#43 7 years ago

I dont think Ive gone from Hate to Love, but WOZ stands out with the last update as polished with mass appeal.

I feel that if WOZ or even Xmen was released with the code it has now at the end, they would garnish a great
    deal more praise.

Its also a bit more of attitude....Like is there any game one has hated.
    From many posts on many threads, on many games, it seems a lot of people have true hatred towards a game.....I mean posts to no end of hate, even tantrums in person!

Hating a Pinball? for me, not possible....Not my taste, sure.....even with good code, and a great reputation.

What I would LOVE to see is more user controlled code! More Robust settings, Full PinBrowser support on music and sound. Change the rules....Change the points.....I know, tournament players would likely hate this!

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

How does the current GB issue feel to you compared to how X-Men felt early on? I was lucky enough to avoid the early shit storm on X-Men, but fully lived the Metallica wait for finished code, and KISS, and now going through that period where I'm figuring out just how annoying the GB mode ladder is. In short, was X-Men so bad early that it tainted it forever, as opposed to GB, that with a bit of tweaking can flip to awesome?

Oh man I think they're just two totally different games with different design and code philosophies. Too hard to compare...I may not like GB's code, but it's subjective - X-Men was just an objective clusterfuck for a while. While it's improved by leaps and bounds, I still don't think it all gels in the way other games with lots of content do, and I hate the toys and audio. While I have my GB complaints, I dig the toys and audio...and I think code tweaks can bring it together. I don't think it'll be as good the best Sterns due to the physical design, but if it can just be more "fun" by ditching the repetition factor (no game should require the player to do the same mode 3 or 4 times in a row), it will be a very cool game!

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't recall it being terrible...and SM's level of "unfinished" was different than what we see today as unfinished. If I recall, the big Spidey updates added some missing Sandman animation, the Daily Bugle transitions, some more shaker choreography & FX, some cooler light shows...did it add any significant gameplay changes, or was it all just frosting? I mean, I definitely remember how amazing the "frosting" made the game feel...really tied it together - but I feel like it always had solid bones...the overall concept never really changed.

Battle Royale and Superhero were absent as well as a lot of sounds, effects, animations, etc...I remember it being very boring.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hated-it-thenbut-love-it-now-with-the-new-code?hl=sshughes75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.