pasted_image (resized).png
WizardModeScore (resized).png
POTC wizard mode bug - report (resized).jpg
A2DE954A-E952-4AF5-942A-423C6672D100 (resized).jpeg
DA55D4E0-96F9-4D8A-A77E-F20E7C1458FF (resized).jpeg
6E3F4F56-8C9A-48C8-B6D5-C6F5D5794201 (resized).jpeg
DA9B3FDF-1EB5-42C1-9C8F-43D613DE6ADA (resized).jpeg
F7C1CF5D-B93F-4E43-9D50-7F2C3339A27C (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

We’re a couple weeks past the 1-year mark for when POTC began to ship. Only two real code updates since shipping (I’m not counting .98 since it was released a day or two after .97 and only was done to fix one bug). Seems like JJP is leaving the POTC update deep on the sideline. Wonka seems to be getting frequent updates and I’m guessing they’ll be diving deeper into work on their next release soon if not already.
JJP focus on the customer is MIA again on POTC. I think it’s definitely reasonable to expect 1.0 within a year. So if not 1.0 in one year then when will it ever get done?

Well Wonka is selling, so it’s not -that- shocking. Obviously the code was started, Keith posted that rule set a while back with the character changes. Hopefully they don’t let us down.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Has production really stopped on POTC? Will they ever resume it? Or have they moved on for good? How many did they make? It didn't seem like they were in production very long.

1) yes
2) it is not clear to anyone, even JJP
3) see #2
4) we don’t know, estimates are under 1000
No, not in production long. Incredibly sad, given most agree this is one of the best games ever made, if not at least the best in the last few years

2 months later
#28 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Weren't they beta testing the blue tooth stuff ?
LTG : )

If I recall correctly, DI and Wonka got first dibs on those updates, followed by (presumably) POTC then Hobbit and WOZ

1 month later
#42 4 years ago

Hoping it's soon thread bump

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Well let's think positive then. Maybe the update will be epic like the last one on Hobbit!!!!

That would definitely be awesome... more music would be helpful too IMO. Maybe eventually we can start modifying the game assets like in the past. I'd love to add more callouts and MUSIC. And a final wizard mode (plus the already-mentioned character tweaks) wouldn't be a bad thing.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Woohoo! It's coming soon! Beta testing "some" of the new code has started ...

Whoa! Where did you see this? The google group and email chain appears to have gone dead

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

The wizard modes work that way, but you might as well give up hope of the chapters ever working that way.

Makes sense - the modes are scenes which involve Specific characters from each movie.. so they by necessity -already- work that way. What a kick ass game!

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I heard that sound effect when I completed a few chapters (or near completion) also. I'll have to pay more attention to that.
We get a "man overboard" call out that might not have been there before, or is more often now.
Completing star map shots show a pop up graphic of how many more are needed to light an extra ball. I don't remember that before, but don't look up that often.

Awesome! Man overboard is played now but not often- I think it’s when a ball quickly rolls off the Pearl?

Definitely “chapter complete” is played now, but it’s always obscured by the fanfare, and the way he says it is kind of low-energy

#92 4 years ago

The game number is shown on the title screen now if you enter it in settings. Two things happened: we forgot initially to include the game number there, then the factory started entering it as a custom message, which was also not dressed up. Custom message now gets the cloud background, if you want it in title screen enter it in settings. I'd suggest deleting the custom message too.

Keith, I can't tell you how psyched I am about this. I somehow fell off the beta test list after testing lots of Hobbit and DI code, but I am really ready to try out these new features! Glad you're "back"

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

There ... that's better! [quoted image]

Hahaha good idea

#96 4 years ago

Hey BTW has anyone ever tried hooking up a USB keyboard in order to enter a custom message? I never have the patience to sit there with just the buttons

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

We were told that for the wifi security SSID password, it would not work. Guessing that is the same for the custom message. It's coded different for the coin door buttons.

Darn - definitely would speed things up. I’m gonna try anyway lol. I’m sure the wifi supplicant file can be updated as usual, but you have to boot to root which I don’t think I’ve tried on POTC yet

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from FlipMyBalls:

I just wanted to post here that I am truly jealous when it comes to this game. I wanted one since the reveal trailer and wasn't able to come up with the cash until these days. Really great game, I truly hope they are not done producing them as I would love to buy one NIB. The prices have gone crazy and its a shame because people should be paying that resale value to JJP which helps support the business.
I haven't been scouring the forums lately for info but can someone post a thread that has the actual reason these are no longer in production?
Congrats to all that have one you guys are lucky!
cheers!

They cost way too much to
Build, people stupidly cancelled their Preorders because of the change in the spinning disk, and JJP chose to back off of production as a result. Now spinning it back up will be costly and drive the game up into 10 or 11K (or more!) cost.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from FlipMyBalls:

not selfish at all I think its human. Everyone that wants one hopes its made again so they get it for a reasonable price and everyone that owns one hopes that their golden goose holds its value! nothing wrong with that. Like any collectable in any hobby.
I think like someone said though in the main JJP thread it does come to the point that if they keep going up in price and the demand is there they will undoubtedly pay to put them back on the line at a profitable price. Just seems like they are leaving money on the table.

Lots of people think they’re leaving money on the table - but since the game is no longer on the line, and the license is about up, and Disney will waver on whether they want Johnny Depp on their Brand anymore, it’s by no means a slam dunk.

It costs money to spin up those parts again- more than just the materials cost of manufacturing them. and POTC wasn’t priced well enough to absorb all the actual manufacturing cost (including all the mech redesigns I imagine).. it’s not a slam dunk. I’d guess They would have to have several hundred guaranteed sales at $13K for things to make sense. I don’t know how well the WOZ YBR Did but it doesn’t strike me that there are as many super rich POTC fans out there

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

This is my first ever post on pinside and I just want to says Thanks Keith and all of JJP not just for POTC but for all of your machines. I only own one machine - JJP POTC LE and that game is what brought me back into pinball. Growing up I had 8 ball deluxe and when it broke we got Taxi. I hadn’t played in almost 20 years until a friend talked about POTC and this cool company JJP. Thanks for reinventing pinball for me and others.
Super excited for the new code. One, hopefully simple ask, can you make it so you can review your game once it’s over or at least your last “play screen.” If I finish a game I don’t always know how many chapters I played or even wizard modes or wizard scores unless I hit the high score. I also don’t know even during a game on the screen if I played a certain wizard mode or my score for it. Anyway if your listening JJP thanks again!

Really good idea. I always like looking at my other stats at the end of a Houdini or Oktoberfest game

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I had a great game on it last night using Norrington. The whole time I was playing, I just kept thinking to myself....damn this game is awesome. It has everything...incredible sound, shots, code...

New beta code or .99?

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm on original code.

Not sure what you mean. I think the original shipped code was .96 - Is thst what you’re on? Man you gotta update!

#120 4 years ago

oook.. time to release something guys.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Code is clearly bin beta with more to come. What more do you want?

A release, obviously. I’m not on the beta list anymore since they restarted the list with the WiFi updates

3 weeks later
#138 4 years ago
Quoted from Franking1302:

No news here? No release date?
Best regarts
Frank

Best thing we know still is just that they are testing beta code

2 weeks later
#148 4 years ago

I do think it's impressive that they are continuing to work on this game. I also have a Houdini which is far from feeling "finished" (it technically includes all modes but is still Unpolished in some highly noticeable areas), and it's been a full year now - but some day there should be a code update for that.

Hopefully we won't be waiting that long for Pirates. It's taken on this almost mythical status because of how packed it is, and how few are out there.

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

Well you're really lucky then. I get balls stuck on the ledge beside the pearl VUK on the left, I've had them stuck on the edge on the other side (which I can usually get off by tilting), and have had them stuck in other odd places on the playfield. I get balls frequently stuck during multiballs in the holes (sometimes MAP, sometimes Pearl) and only multiballs. I fully admit I'm an intermediate in fixing these things (and I do know the basics). All tests work...everything fires fine during single balls. I've had issue after issue. Every 5 games I have to take the glass off for *some* reason. Perhaps if I studied the schematics for a year or two I could "dial in" the game enough to have it run problem free.
And I don't think my request for ball chase, you know, the option that's actually in the menu, to work, is out of line. It would solve a lot of issues. My kids could at least play it until I get home from work. I don't think I should have to be an operator and know how to fix 7000 problems to own a game, but apparently that's the case with this one. I've owned multiple games (admittedly only from the "modern" era), and this is by faaaaaar the most problematic by a country mile.
If I didn't love it so much, it would have been gone a while ago.

Welcome to pinball! No, you shouldn't have to know how to fix 7000 issues to own a game, but you will need to address some - although I absolutely get where your frustration comes from. We've all been there!. This is also one of the most complex games out there. Sorry to hear you're having these issues - sounds like you may have just gotten a lemon. I'd double check your game is level too - I usually find mine somehow walk around and are suddenly out of level.

2 weeks later
#183 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I agree with #LTG on this one. We have a perfectly Beyond playable game at this point with code better then 90% of the games out. This would be a perfect time for You. For JJP, they are (were) in the middle of breaking down the company for a relocation across the country, all employees home more then likely without test gear, a Pandemic!, and more then likely focused on creating content/product that will generate revenue when this global shut down lifts in hopes to stay in business. So no, not a perfect time or priority for JJP in my opinion.
If your a Proof kind of guy.... check out the Houdini page. Josh made it very clear the New beta code Wasn’t done or fully tested. Many pleads later and he said fine here you go and now it will be endless “my game is having issues” posts. Dammed if you do as they say.

Those posts have already started. Nobody’s being petty about it, but yeah... Josh doesn’t technically get paid for working on Houdini either, so we should be thankful there’s an update at all. I would love a POTC update too, but its certainly understandable

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think it's reasonable to hope at his point considering the update was discussed a year ago at MGC 2019. JJP has since finished code for Wonka and is now coding another new title so that alone makes asking about an update more than reasonable. JJP will deliver for Pirates owners, they took a while to finish code for the Hobbit but went way over the top with some massive and game changing code updates for the game. When a Pirates update is released I'm sure the wait will be well worth it.

It's a good reminder about that Hobbit update - that was a MAJOR update that totally changed the game -

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Seems kind of odd, but I have an easier time hitting wiz modes using Norrington than I do Tia.

Easier to use Tia if you’re going for a specific one I guess

#195 4 years ago

Took my PinWoofer out of a STTNG I recently sold, and finally got around to installing to POTC, had to 3D print the molex connector for the power plug because I ran out of 2 position connectors.

Came out OUTSTANDING. Holy crap this game needed BASS!!

2 months later
#208 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Been awhile on this thread.
Any word from some knowledgeable insiders on possible code?

Just beta test like 6 months ago.

1 month later
#209 3 years ago

Bumping this thread to whine about no new code. My Elvira has been updated literally TWICE as often and about the same number sold. WTF

1 month later
#211 3 years ago

C'mon Keith! WE believe in ya!

3 weeks later
#218 3 years ago

And again... DI is getting an update shortly it appears... hopefully POTC isn't far behind...

3 weeks later
#224 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Based on this thread, my Williams IJ is likely to get a code update before my
Jjpotc!! I kid, I kid...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-williams-and-bally-software-upgrades/

100% guarantee you are right

1 month later
#227 3 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

It's coming !

Hopeful post, or do you know something ?

3 weeks later
#236 3 years ago

Now it's been 9 months since Keith gave his big interview. they are SITTING on a beta, which should just be released. Plus the Bluetooth/wifi updates. Maybe some of the beta testers can share the code?

1 month later
#247 3 years ago

Now that GNR has had more updates than POTC at this point, I think it's reasonable to think they should finish the game. GNR has had 14 updates since release.

#249 3 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

All the new games get a bunch of updates as the release continues. I have a feeling it will come soon since they are rolling out the WiFi update for wonka. At least I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I know it, I definitely hope you're right!!

1 week later
#251 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Pirates owners seeing the 10th+ GNR code update post on Facebook...lol.
[quoted image]

don't get me started! Anybody know the best way to get in touch with the company? At least they should respond.

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

And each one introduced new bugs.

Just like the POTC code which hasn’t been updated In almost 2 years, and is not finished.

2 months later
#287 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:I don’t play well enough to even notice the wizard mode is missing

I'd sure love it if they would just fix the ball search.

#290 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

And I'd sure love it if JJP had anything positive to say about updating the code for this game. Instead all we get is a crap comment like "an update won't be released until the wizard mode is done", which when combined with this...

... tells a lot about how little they seem to care about delivering a POTC update to their customers.

sigh... I wish I could disagree, but even Keith seems kinda over it. If they keep having issues with new games (I don't know specifically what, just heard GNR is having some bumps in the road), their priority will be there. Still; the Hobbit update gives me some hope. We KNOW THE CODE EXISTS!! I have no idea what it would take to integrate it, but it's there!

1 month later
#299 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I think at this point it's probably safe to say that JJP has increasingly serious issues that are likely going to impact it's future viability meaning I wouldn't be surprised if the beta we know is out there never actually gets released. There's absolutely zero excuse for it now with updates to games like WoZ...
Jeff

time to start working on cracking that encryption again. Might be the only way anyting ever gets updated. So unbelievably too bad.

#302 2 years ago

Looking for the beta code; very much appreciated.

#306 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I thought it was just that online competition stuff

No, there are rule changes, character changes and a couple other items. (did Keith fix the ball search?!?!) Keith Johnson posted an image of a lot of the changes incorporated almost TWO years ago

#314 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I wonder how many people are running the beta code. I have not seen one post from someone acknowledging they have it.

There’s a bunch, there was a whole beta group. I won’t name names but they posted results in the main thread.

#317 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Just wondering out loud if a unique POTC final wizard mode outline/design even exists at JJP at this point. I have absolutely zero knowledge or anything to base this on, but I can't help but start to wonder if there's a chance that maybe they grabbed some of the ideas/gimmicks they had planned for the POTC wizard mode and used them in GnR and/or Wonka code instead?
Again, nothing at all to base this on but common sense tells me that by now (really a couple years ago) there should have been a final wizard mode at least scoped out with ideas on what gimmicks/ideas they wanted to use in it. In that time GnR has now come out with its code developed. So to get that done could they have felt the need to use some of their POTC wizard mode ideas on GnR, because getting that game done has clearly been their priority? And now after GnR they'll likely be on to their next game development leaving POTC even further in the dust.
I'd be very surprised if the two-year wait for a POTC update has anything to do with asset/licensing clearance. That just wouldn't make sense. It really all seems to boil down to them prioritizing first Wonka and then GnR over any POTC update, which just makes me wonder if they might have used the outlines of any ideas they had for a POTC final mode in any modes in those games instead. Again, nothing to base this on except looking big picture at what's gone on so far, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's the case since their focus and priority seems to be on getting everything else done before POTC.

I have no idea whether or not that occurred, but I can tell you I wouldn’t care one way or another as long as Pirates code actually got finished.

#319 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep I feel the same. But if it has happened then my thinking is would that mean the POTC final mode isn't even on the drawing board yet (unless JJP was content with using the same mode ideas in both GnR and POTC)? Again, just pure speculation and wondering out loud. And I'm hoping I'm wrong but I still have a feeling a POTC update isn't in the near future.

I hope you’re wrong!!

4 weeks later
#323 2 years ago

In the Telegram beta thread, it was stated again that ALL games would receive an update - and POTC was mentioned earlier in the thread specifically (not by JJP) so I think there’s still a chance. I don’t know if that Telegram thing is an official company channel or what, but it was encouraging

#331 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

I just posed the question.

The last comment he had was that "the POTC update which includes the wizard mode will be the last one" and I assume that means an update which includes the wifi stuff. I know he and the others killed themselves on that game, it still makes me mad how the online coven burned the preorders down through the "discgate" nonsense, which killed production

#338 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Best way to describe is complete randomness. Multi directional, multi speed, spinning lights, random fun. As far as mechs go JJP (Eric) should be applauded for even the effort to create something like this. The screen works no doubt but the complexity they attempted was pure genius in my view.
[quoted image]

It definitely LOOKS much cooler. Having played it a bunch of times, I didn’t find it added very much additional benefit, and I could never read it fast enough to figure out what I got - I know there’s a couple of folks on Pinside who have prototype games, and about half say it’s amazing and half say it adds nothing.

I don’t really know, but I’m sure JJP learned a harsh lesson about retracting very cool features.. I guess?

Anyway, it’s still an awful shame one of the GOATs is basically swept under the rug.

#344 2 years ago

I wonder if anyone ever made a working mod for that disc? Seems like the spinner encoder from games like Tron would work, although I don't know how the hell you'd get it to interact with the game at this point. I am super glad we got the treasure chest mod. THAT is a must-have.

1 month later
#359 2 years ago

That’s the first time they’ve actually mentioned POTC by name in what seems like years!

#364 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Lol, yeah I think the characters in Harry Potter were more likely to say Voldemort than anyone from JJP has been to say "Pirates" lately.
Hope it's happening. Soon to be 3 years since initial delivery of the game, so it's long past being overdue for them to finish their job.

Can’t improve on a perfect truth

#366 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Yes correct new final potc code has been confirmed , but due to wonka/GNR is there selling point at the moment all there time is now going in to that. From the info I was given from jjp this end of this month or half next month the code will be released.

we will believe it when we see it. Hope you are correct!

#368 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It's great to hear some official word on this after all this time. Another month or three wait is ok by me. Whatever it takes. I'm just hoping they knock it out of the park.

Dont get your hopes up too high - there are a LOT of changes which really should be made to balance the game. Many of them were in beta for the last year and a half - Scorbit will be the main thing (maybe they were motivated by Stern Insider?) but as far as the final wizard mode? I’m not expecting it

#370 2 years ago

So I may have asked this already, but can Scorbit be used for free? I get that the app is a free download. BFD. Am I required to have an active subscription as well?

I have a huge TV I'd like to use for switching between things like the high score board, videos, Audio visualize, etc. Adding scorbit to the mix would be great - but for right now as it's mostly for eye candy until I have more people over, I need a low barrier to entry, even if it's for reduced features.

#372 2 years ago

It is free in all JJP games

The game integrates for free, I know - but do I still need to subscribe as a user and pay the $4.99?

#374 2 years ago

Love it! Thanks for the confirmation

#377 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

I doubt they'd include movie scenes - the folks testing the beta software would have said something about that by now, and I don't think JJP is about to pay Disney for more IP.
Might be just me, but I like it the way it is without movie clips... not bothered about Captain Jack popping up to comment on my (many) outlane drains
As for version numbers, my bet's on 2.0, like they did with Wonka.

Supposedly it's VERY VERY soon; Hobbit is coming as well. Really psyched. They seem to have like 4 guys on these games so hopefully that's helping make things consistent

1 week later
#387 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:

I've faced up to the fact that I'm highly unlikely to get to the final wizard mode - how about doing what Stern did on Ghostbusters and allow the final wizard mode to be activated in settings (i.e. wizard mode begins as soon as start is pressed), just so that us mortals could have a go! Would save me from having to take the glass off!

There still is no actual final wizard mode in the game. Hopefully when they do the scorbit release, which is supposedly this week? Anybody know anything ?

#389 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I'm hoping for an option to qualify the mini-wizard modes with fewer than 5 chapter played in the same movie path. Maybe 3 chapters would be better? The mini-wizard modes are the best single ball modes in the game and I would like to see them be easier to get to without using Tia Dhalma. Kind of like the crank-it-up modes in Metallica. Completing all 5 in one game would still be extremely challenging.
Looking forward to seeing what's added. Even getting the enhancements from the beta release would be nice at this point.

hear hear

#391 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Scorbit guy (Jay) says that we will really like the update that's coming.

I'm sure! Can't wait

#397 2 years ago
Quoted from Eagle14:

Don't worry mate. It's being announced with another run of games tomorrow.

If that’s true that’s great! We can finally get parts and potentially further updates

#399 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Maybe I missed it but did anyone at the fireside chat ask Jack about POTC code updates? It just seems so odd that they ignore this game!

No, they really didn't cover any new ground - it was kind of just like "celebrity pinball interview hour", but someone posted above that there's a new run expected(!?). Not sure if that's true, but it WOULD help justify some more time on code updates.

#401 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

There is NO new POTC run! Factory is setup until end of 2022 for normal body only.
For now GNR and Wonka and there after the new game
And the new game will also be a normal body so they won’t change the line for POTC .
Parts supply for POTC most is there in stock just call JJP and order

That's a good point - one thing they (Pat, specifically) VERY clearly stated last night was that they are not going to be doing wide bodies any time soon, because they cost more to manufacture and build, but have to be sold for roughly the same MSRP as a standard body, and that makes no sense as a business decision. Too bad, but totally understand.

Parts are in stock for POTC? That has not been my experience recently.

#405 2 years ago

Last day of the week…

#408 2 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

This is not true. YES widebodies cost more. NO, they don't have to be sold for the same price.
Hell, standard body games are barely being sold for 'the same MSRP' nowadays. I don't care about overseas container costs.
Pat's stance on widebodies is a real shame. I think he fears the design-freedom widebodies offer.

You are right - but what he was saying is that they *must* be priced around the same MSRP because you are potentially competing with another game which is a standard and may have a smaller BOM, and they want to sell as many as possible. It still sucks, I agree

#421 2 years ago

That’s the name of the final wizard mode. We don’t have access to it yet on beta

This

#425 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

It would also be good to see scoring changed on the wizard modes. I think scoring on them is too low for how difficult they are to get to and to play. Right now I think the best risk/reward decision is to time the wizard modes out and continue with the regular game play.

They are affected by how well you do in the modes you started, so if you've successfully completed them ALL, your score is supposed to be maxed out. But I totally agree, they are WAY too hard, and also agree it's really depressing when you actually complete one how nothing at all happens. I'm not expecting a "Melt the witch" or "Defeat Smaug" level of awesomeness, but SOMETHING should happen...

#429 2 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Too low???
[quoted image]

Good lord! which movie is that mode tied to? And how did you hit that score

#432 2 years ago
Quoted from Stef95:

Je dirais qu il a cumulé les super jackpot avec un super X fois 6 puis cumulé avec un shot X fois 6 et assuré les tir derrière ça.. Juste un rêve pour moi..

Logique.
Pour moi aussi!

#437 2 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

If everybody emails this comment to beta at jerseyjackpinball they may do something with it.
Although on Telegram JJP said major feature changes are unlikely at this point.
My request was somewhat along the same lines; more chapter context/video but this indeed applies just as well to the multiballs!

Not sure this is a "major feature change" though. I recall Keith saying he didn't want to do another release until they had coded the final multiball - which, no way of telling how far along that is. I'm much more in favor of small updates; they are so much more manageable and far less is affected if a bug accidentally gets introduced.

#440 2 years ago

I requested this on the beta group as well as making the character attributes more visible during selection. They said this was being worked on. Hopefully that applies to both requests.

I hope so too. I thought they were specifically referring to the flippers not firing, but it would REALLY be great to enhance the text a bit on the screen. Hell, I'll volunteer to write it!

#442 2 years ago

I actually meant text enhancement. The flippers kind of need to fire if you plunge without selecting.
I could put a setting in but it's really really rude to casuals. Not going to spend a whole lot of time to make it "smart" at this point.

Frickin NICE! Happy to help!

#444 2 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Honestly, more info re the character attributes is so much more useful than stopping the flippers firing, and I completely understand this logic. I guess we don't always remember that most people have little to no idea what they're doing when they step up to a machine.
A setting would be a nice addition for home use games, but I can see why it wouldn't be a priority. I'm just happy that code is being worked on again, really enjoyed the few games I've managed to play on the beta!

Totally agree. Though I wouldn't quite classify this as monumental as the Hobbit update (that was just ... legendary.. I absolutely adore that game), but it is still really really good. I'm feeling like I'm stepping up to it for the first time again, which is just phenomenal

#454 2 years ago

No they don’t.
They want people to interact and give feedback so simply sharing the code doesn’t help make the game better. We need people to sign up and interact with the development team. I for one think it’s pretty damn cool that they are encouraging and implementing our feedback.

Word. I don’t have as much time as I’d like to play right now, and suggest things or do bug diving, but I really like it that the team gives these little insights into their process and how the games are developed; the thinking behind certain choices.

Plus nobody on there is an asshole which helps

#456 2 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Not everyone wants to have to sign up to Telegram, or Scorbit, or Twitter, or FB etc. just to get their hands on the code.

Then wait until it is a final release

#458 2 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

The person who has the machine (not me) simply does not want to sign up to Telegram.
This is a person who has designed and built his own machine and is in regular contact with people from 2 other companies discussing their games and often asked for his thoughts, just thought that it would have been a nice surprise if I could have turned up this evening with the code downloaded on to a memory stick ready to go.
I agree that Pinside is not the answer for reporting issues. Bug reports could be sent direct to an email (same as Stern).

Telegram is only required for the beta code. If you have a bug to report, you can submit it on the JJP website. They have a contact form and a place you can specifically request support

3 weeks later
#460 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

So... Did this just disappear and isn't going to be released? I mean how long do you have to beta test code before you put it out?
Jeff

It’s been out for more than a year now, it sounds like there may be a few more updates even yet. Plus no final wizard mode yet.

2 weeks later
#463 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Seriously JJP... HOW LONG DO YOU NEED TO BETA TEST THIS CODE??? I mean come on... What's the freaking hold up here? There's absolutely zero excuse for this BS.
Jeff

Jeff, why don't you join the beta group on Telegram? It involves downloading the app and sending one email, which will take you about 9 seconds. The link to the beta is in the channel.

#469 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Lol, oh I'm sure they'd have a loooooong list of excuses for this BS. But the bottom line remains the same as it's been for over 2-1/2 years now though. Their crappy statements of "no update until the final wizard mode" for a game that JJP stated would be feature complete at shipping (over 3 years ago!!!!) has said all we need to know about how they view this game and how much they care about the customers who bought it.
I hope they all get coal in their stockings, along with a speaker that has eternal battery life and which can't be removed from their houses and only plays the sound of nails on chalkboard at about 120db

I admit it, I LOL'd

#471 2 years ago
Quoted from Wicked-Flip:

Stern is better at getting around to it at some point but not calling them out for the same problems is pretty forgiving. They ship unfinished games, too. I've had more than a few that were pretty wonky when you dug into them.
Just as a side note to this, I think this all stems from the blending of two worlds. In the past manufacturers just had to make a shiny object that would eat a quarter or two from a passer by. The code wasnt very polished and didn't need to be. Operators didn't care about code. The only concern was (and kinda still is) is this shiny thing eating quarters or not. So nobody complained.
Now there is this new world of pinball. Home consumers. They expect a complete game. They expect it to be rules deep and have hundreds of hours of content. Rightfully so. They just spent a lot of money on a high end toy.
The manufacturers are still straddling the fence of these two worlds and haven't really stepped up with regard to code and content. Or not remotely stepped it up enough, anyway. Hence the complaints.
I won't tell them how to run a business but I would suggest that fewer titles and MUCH more software support for a MUCH longer period of time of those titles would probably make the pinheads happy.
It's inexcusable that this machine doesn't have its wizard modes. Thats the final word. Inexcusable

There are some exceptions to this - the EHOH game shipped some damn fine code... eventually. It is still missing a few modes which were ... let's say "implied", but it is finished, with an actual wizard mode and everything. And of course no it did not ship with very impressive code. Stern also shipped Munsters with pretty finished code. Has it even seen an update? It's basically Monster Bash deep, but it's technically done. Coding these more advanced games is WAY more difficult than it would seem at first - I suspect Stern made a lot of effort early on to create a framework which makes the games easier to code, but I have no way to confirm this. Shipping the games with incomplete code is a factor of the expense - they are shipping getting just enough done to justify releasing the games as playable, and are adding more depth as more units are sold. This does also mean that there will eventually be a game which never gets completed...

When Lyman left, the ship basically sailed on getting those last couple of things. With POTC, it's clear that the fiasco with presales getting cancelled had a years-long impact on the game. It's still amazingly fun, but it is a bummer we'll likely never see anything final. I know WOZ still gets occasional updates - but it also sells a LOT of units.

Anyway just my opinion and speculation.

#477 2 years ago

OTOH they did just release an update for Munsters which I never thought would happen in a million years

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hate-to-say-it-but-wheresthecode-jjp-potc?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.