pasted_image (resized).png
WizardModeScore (resized).png
POTC wizard mode bug - report (resized).jpg
A2DE954A-E952-4AF5-942A-423C6672D100 (resized).jpeg
DA55D4E0-96F9-4D8A-A77E-F20E7C1458FF (resized).jpeg
6E3F4F56-8C9A-48C8-B6D5-C6F5D5794201 (resized).jpeg
DA9B3FDF-1EB5-42C1-9C8F-43D613DE6ADA (resized).jpeg
F7C1CF5D-B93F-4E43-9D50-7F2C3339A27C (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I hate to create one of these threads but it's now been well over a year since JJP POTC began shipping and the game remains on .99 code. It's a bummer seeing Wonka, a game that started shipping just a couple months ago, well beyond 1.0 code while Pirates remains on .99.

At this time Pirates isn't insert mode complete as the Break the Curse super wizard mode isn't in the game. Back in April at MGC Eric mentioned that Keith's work on the wizard mode had been coming along nicely. That was 6 months ago. I know Keith mentioned back in July or August on a Wonka stream that the code is still coming but that they are busy with other things.

I understand there's new games to work on but why should we spend another $7.5k - $12.5k on a new JJP when Pirates doesn't have its code completed? I've considered buying a Wonka but just can't do it knowing that Pirates code isn't complete.

#WheresTheCode?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

If they have truly stopped producing these games for good (I don’t know that they have but it sounds possible), I can’t see them being motivated to add any new code to this game. Only inherent value would be keeping current buyers happy so that they will buy future JJP pins and just “doing the right thing”
Will be interesting to follow this.

Yeah. JJP has always delivered with code support for all their games so I'm hoping Pirates isn't left behind. I've purchased 4 JJP pins but won't purchase another until Pirates is completed.

Keith said back in July or August durint a Wonka stream that he promised the code is still coming. I'm not sure the state of the update at this time.

1 week later
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Okay - not trying to start a rumor. But I thought I read on Pinside sometime within the last two weeks that it was posted Keith had taken a break from JJP work due to health?
And that it's been a while since he's been out. I'm pretty sure Master Johnson has it on his itinerary to finish POTC code.

I remember reading that he was out a couple weeks back in April but has been back at JJP since then. Hope nothing new has happened and all is well with his health, Keith is amazing!

#12 4 years ago

Heres some good news regarding Pirates code Pinball Magazine included the following in their September recap newsletter that was sent out today.

20191005_065939 (resized).jpg20191005_065939 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

We’re a couple weeks past the 1-year mark for when POTC began to ship. Only two real code updates since shipping (I’m not counting .98 since it was released a day or two after .97 and only was done to fix one bug). Seems like JJP is leaving the POTC update deep on the sideline. Wonka seems to be getting frequent updates and I’m guessing they’ll be diving deeper into work on their next release soon if not already.
JJP focus on the customer is MIA again on POTC. I think it’s definitely reasonable to expect 1.0 within a year. So if not 1.0 in one year then when will it ever get done?

Yeah, it's disappointing. I won't be buying another JJP pin until Pirates code is completed. Can't see spending another $9500 when the game I last spent $9500 on doesn't have its code completed...

I do believe JJP will deliver on Pirates but how long is the question? Expo is this week so maybe we will hear some code news.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

At this point I'll be surprised if they're capable of getting the #JJPOTC 1.0 code done by year-end. I don't think they have the want or the will to do it, otherwise it would have been done by now (1 year from originally shipping). The money from #JJPOTC is in the bank and it's on to the next shiny object for them. Once again JJP is showing its great focus on the customer... not. The design of the game is unquestionably great. The company that built it has not been very good.

It will happen, JJP has never let us down with code support. JJP came through big time with Hobbit code. Not only did JJP expand upon the games code heavily they also went above and beyond with additional polish, light shows, tweaks, ways to qualify modes, etc. It just sucks having to wait such a long time for code to be completed while new titles are announced, shipped, and are receiving regular updates.

3 months later
#45 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

any updates from anyone at JJP on code?

Radio silence unfortunately. Hope we hear something soon as well.

Added over 4 years ago:

Update: I was wrong

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Well let's think positive then. Maybe the update will be epic like the last one on Hobbit!!!!

Oh yeah. Keith and team will deliver, they always have. JJP hasn't let any of their games hang out to dry with code. I'm sure their code works takes longer to complete considering how much polish and extra work they put into mode choreography and extra touches. They did a ton of that with the final few Hobbit updates and it's now one of the best rulesets in pinball.

Quoted from KingBW:

Woohoo! It's coming soon! Beta testing "some" of the new code has started ...

That's great to hear!

#79 4 years ago

The changes I've read about about sound very nice. I'm hoping we may see some fanfare added for when chapter modes are completed. It would be great if there's a Kevin McNally "Chapter Complete" callout and have it play along side a cool animation and or lighting effect.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

There is a new sound effect I've heard during chapter collects - it doesn't do it every time, maybe it's only as you're approaching completion? More plays needed.
As for chapter complete by McNally...it already does that?

That's cool, thanks. Yeah I'll have to listen closer for the complete callout if there is one.

#86 4 years ago

I didn't see it in the beta stream (only watched 10-20 minutes or so) but I'm hoping a proper numbered LE screen is coming to the game. The game number on a blank screen right now looks very unfinished.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

The game number is shown on the title screen now if you enter it in settings. Two things happened: we forgot initially to include the game number there, then the factory started entering it as a custom message, which was also not dressed up. Custom message now gets the cloud background, if you want it in title screen enter it in settings. I'd suggest deleting the custom message too.

Thanks Keith! That's great to hear.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from FlipMyBalls:

I just wanted to post here that I am truly jealous when it comes to this game. I wanted one since the reveal trailer and wasn't able to come up with the cash until these days. Really great game, I truly hope they are not done producing them as I would love to buy one NIB. The prices have gone crazy and its a shame because people should be paying that resale value to JJP which helps support the business.
I haven't been scouring the forums lately for info but can someone post a thread that has the actual reason these are no longer in production?
Congrats to all that have one you guys are lucky!
cheers!

After having to install multiple update fixes on my Hobbit which took hours and paying $800 for the WOZ light board update kit (plus the 10+ hours it will take to install it) I'm happy to have some equity in my Pirates! Personally I hope Pirates is never made again as it's nice to have a rather rare and collectible pin. I know that's selfish but after dealing with headaches on every other JJP pin I've bought it's nice to finally catch a break on one.

1 week later
#123 4 years ago

Played a few games this morning on .99 and noticed a "Chapter Complete" callout being played maybe 2/3 of the time. It is quiet though, would be nice to have it a bit louder. The icing on the cake would be to have some sort of additional fanfare (light effect and or animation) to go along with the chapter complete callout.

1 week later
#127 4 years ago

Another item that would be great to see added is a playfield light effect for when a chapter is completed. There needs to be some more fanfare added for completing chapter modes. Without the movie clips and actors voices JJP could use lighting and audio effects to add more fanfare. Have the lighting effect color change based on what movie the chapter is completed from. A quick 2-4 second light show that spreads across the playfield like a wave as the "Chapter Completed" callout is played would be amazing to see!

#129 4 years ago

Thanks!

Keith, if you read my suggestion I was thinking an audio effect like the one below right at 1:10 - 1:13 timed go along with the light show wave followed by the "Chapter Complete" callout would go a long way to add more fanfare for completing chapter modes The color of the light effect wave could then match the main color used by the 5 movies in the game.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I agree, that would be awesome.
There are tons of clips that they could use that have no actors in them.
Please please please get some Pirate attract music for this game...

Thanks. I hope JJP considers it.

Could always toss in a quick shaker effect in there too to go along with the wave light effect and sound!

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Speaking of shaker, wouldn’t it be cool if they could have the shaker really fire hard for a direct hit to the ship?
Mine hardly does anything if it even does. Not sure.

Yes! That should definitely be in there.

3 weeks later
#140 4 years ago

On Kanedas most recent podcast he mentioned that a huge update for Pirates is coming.

Kaneda is criticizing JJP for working on Pirates code with game production being done and says they should be working on Wonka code instead as it's in production. He should understand that Pirates code is not complete and that the owners that paid $8500 - $12,500 deserve to have the code completed and polished.

Stern did this with Ghostbusters code even though that game was done and I'm glad to see JJP following through with Pirates code as its actions like these that bring back customers. JJP properly completing Hobbit code (and then some, amazing code) helped sway me to buy Pirates.

Sounds like it will be a huge update! Can't wait

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What exactly are you expecting?
We know about character/balance changes that Keefer kindly laid out.
We know there will be a final wizard mode.
If you're expecting more than that, I think you're going to be disappointed. As many have already said, the existing code is far from unpolished.

With more assets being mentioned I take that as more video clips (without actors faces / audio) be added and additional mode choreography.

3 weeks later
#171 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

As a software developer, deploying a large/risky fix to an installed base of machines during this pandemic would be the last thing on my mind.
Keeping the systems working would be the top priority, which means leaving them alone for now.

Thankfully this isn't a situation like releasing a new feature enhancement for a large critical infrastructure that could cause more harm than good. The systems are pinball machines.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Doesn't matter. Do you want to generate 1000 angry support calls while you're in an unprecedented quarantine lockdown? I wouldn't.

Yeah good point. I wonder if there's even 100 support calls regarding a new code update that is often well tested (JJP has beta testers). Even if there's a 1000 calls they don't have to be answered as this isn't code for say a hospital application used by 100's of doctors and nurses. Most issues seem to be reported by beta testers, on the JJP Google Group, or on here. I'm sure JJP is still working on game code but maybe they won't release anything for any of their games until after this is all over like you said.

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I think it's impossible to know what the circumstances are for JJP and how they're set up to finalize & deploy code and it's not really fair to guess at it either. Stern has released updates for 3 of their machines in the past week and a half so it's fair to say it's not impossible to accomplish but there's really no sense in speculating on JJP's ability to release code updates without knowing exactly what their circumstances are during all this. And I don't know & I don't really want to know 'cause it's not really any of my business.
I've been on the side of thinking they bumped the POTC update down the priority list for way too long, but for me that feeling is on pause right now along with everything else in the world. I just want this whole thing to blow over as quickly as possible so we can try to get back to normal. Then I'll go back to thinking they need to get cracking on getting that POTC update out

Good points, they will get it to it when they get to it. Like you said lots going on right now, especially for JJP with the move and with getting closer to announcing a new pin.

Quoted from LTG:

Yes. The definitely go up.
I'd say about 99 % of them because they didn't follow instructions in their haste to get the update in the game.
Even if they've done it before. As you walk them through, there is usually a step or two they forgot, or try do it delta install when it should have been a full install and they kill the game.
So by the time they call you their frustration level is way up there, often mad. And don't want to listen to try and get things rolling.
When the software comes out and the games can update themselves. I for one. Will be a happy camper.
LTG : )

Yeah that wouldn't be fun to have to address right now with everything going on. Thanks as always for the feedback Lloyd!

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Looks like I inadvertently started something here. To clarify - I didn't mean that I wished for JJP to rush out an untested update due to the circumstances, I was just hoping that the update happens to be ready for release soon. That's all.

I think it's reasonable to hope at his point considering the update was discussed a year ago at MGC 2019. JJP has since finished code for Wonka and is now coding another new title so that alone makes asking about an update more than reasonable. JJP will deliver for Pirates owners, they took a while to finish code for the Hobbit but went way over the top with some massive and game changing code updates for the game. When a Pirates update is released I'm sure the wait will be well worth it.

11 months later
#250 3 years ago

Pirates owners seeing the 10th+ GNR code update post on Facebook...lol. The wait is a bit ridiculous at this point. JJP has released and completed code for two games since Pirates. With that being said a part of me wishes I still had the game
tenor (2).giftenor (2).gif

1 month later
#268 2 years ago

It's now been over 2 years since the last Pirates code update was released. I no longer own the game but owners deserve to have the code completed. What is JJP waiting for? They have since released Wonka and GNR, both of which have pretty much completed code. It's just not a good look that Pirates code isn't complete while 2 games have since been released with more completed code.

Maybe JJP is planning to release new code along side a new run of the games. Who knows.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

2 months later
#291 2 years ago

Even GNR is still missing modes and a lot of polish from what I've read... All recent code updates for their flagship game have been smaller bug fix type updates.

Meanwhile it's been 2+ years since the last Pirates code update...Hopefully this isn't a trend at JJP.

6 months later
#488 2 years ago

This update was being discussed 2 years ago and is now rivaling Ghostbusters for the longest code update wait lol.

#504 2 years ago

I used to think JJP would run more Pirates LE's at $15k but maybe not. If Stern distributors can sell 200 Elvira 40th editions at $25k I bet JJP could sell 200 games of some crazy ultimate edition of Pirates at $25k. That's $5,000,000 in sales right there, probably $2,000,000 - $2,500,000 in profit. Why not do it?

3 months later
#521 1 year ago

This is Ghostbusters code update wait 2.0, probably worse at this point. JJP is about to release their 7th game and a game they released 3 titles and nearly 5 years ago still doesn’t have its code completed.

JJP used to crank out the code updates but they have come to a crawl overall over the past few years. It doesn’t matter how much Pirates are going for, that shouldn’t impact if a game does or doesn’t receive another code update. What this type of behavior does is tells customers “Code for your game may or not be completed” and “Code for your game may or may not be polished”.

Meanwhile Stern has done a complete 180 with code updates and has been cranking them out for years. If someone told me 5 years that Stern would be offering better code support then JJP in 2022 I would have laughed.

#526 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

JJP should've accepted my offer to work for them, you'd have stella code updates all the time. It really isn't that hard to code a pinball machine once you figure out all the code mumbo jumbo.

There's a big difference though between coding a mode to shoot a ramp over and over again with a couple callouts versus ones that works the playfield in interesting ways, tells a story through, have moments, and have unique animations (and or video clips_ + light shows + callouts, etc all timed to shots. The coders that pull that off are very talented.

2 months later
#544 1 year ago

After Pat Lawlor in a Toy Story 4 video said something along the lines of a wizard mode where only a few people ever reach it is a waste of time and effort on JJP's part I don't have high hopes that code will be completed for Pirates. I completely disagree with Pat on that topic and think you can have both an approachable ruleset yet also have far reaching goals to keep players (and owners of the game) coming back for years to come. I respect Pat's viewpoint but that's also one of the reasons why I'm not buying Toy Story 4 (lack of depth, and most of all lack of mechanical toys for the price).

It's awesome to have that far reaching super wizard mode in a game as it provides something to always go after. I've mentioned this on here before but a cousin of mine has owned a LOTR since launch, has over 6k plays on it, and was blown away when he reached Valnor a couple years back. Those types of modes are awesome to have in games, provide a hook for years to come, and also help games maintain and or go up in value.

3 months later
#582 1 year ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Hey JJP, where's the code?

JJP seems to have stopped releasing code updates. Besides a few small updates for their latest game Toy Story 4 there hasn't been an update for any other game in over a year, over 2 years for Pirates. There's beta code updates but I'm not sure what the point of those are when they remain in beta for months and months at a time...

Ridiculous.

2 months later
#628 1 year ago

Pirates (resized).jpgPirates (resized).jpg

8 months later
#655 5 months ago

JJP: Do not try to update your Pirates. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.
Pirates owner: What truth?
JJP: There is no code update.
Pirates owner: There is no code update?
JJP: Then you'll see that it is not the game that updates, it is only yourself.

83hngy (resized).jpg83hngy (resized).jpg

1 week later
#658 5 months ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Lloyd ain't @ JJP.

No more Lloyd, no more David Thiel, no more Butch Peel

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hate-to-say-it-but-wheresthecode-jjp-potc?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.