pasted_image (resized).png
WizardModeScore (resized).png
POTC wizard mode bug - report (resized).jpg
A2DE954A-E952-4AF5-942A-423C6672D100 (resized).jpeg
DA55D4E0-96F9-4D8A-A77E-F20E7C1458FF (resized).jpeg
6E3F4F56-8C9A-48C8-B6D5-C6F5D5794201 (resized).jpeg
DA9B3FDF-1EB5-42C1-9C8F-43D613DE6ADA (resized).jpeg
F7C1CF5D-B93F-4E43-9D50-7F2C3339A27C (resized).png
There are 670 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

My Pirates LE is on location and rarely has an issue.
I've had a few balls stuck under the sling.
Changed out the bouncy rubbers and nothing since.
Did have one coil wire come off so far and thats it.
People love it on location.

Well you're really lucky then. I get balls stuck on the ledge beside the pearl VUK on the left, I've had them stuck on the edge on the other side (which I can usually get off by tilting), and have had them stuck in other odd places on the playfield. I get balls frequently stuck during multiballs in the holes (sometimes MAP, sometimes Pearl) and only multiballs. I fully admit I'm an intermediate in fixing these things (and I do know the basics). All tests work...everything fires fine during single balls. I've had issue after issue. Every 5 games I have to take the glass off for *some* reason. Perhaps if I studied the schematics for a year or two I could "dial in" the game enough to have it run problem free.

And I don't think my request for ball chase, you know, the option that's actually in the menu, to work, is out of line. It would solve a lot of issues. My kids could at least play it until I get home from work. I don't think I should have to be an operator and know how to fix 7000 problems to own a game, but apparently that's the case with this one. I've owned multiple games (admittedly only from the "modern" era), and this is by faaaaaar the most problematic by a country mile.

If I didn't love it so much, it would have been gone a while ago.

#152 4 years ago

I really believe game deserve 1.x code!? Best JJP by far.. why is it taking so long for them?

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

Well you're really lucky then. I get balls stuck on the ledge beside the pearl VUK on the left, I've had them stuck on the edge on the other side (which I can usually get off by tilting), and have had them stuck in other odd places on the playfield. I get balls frequently stuck during multiballs in the holes (sometimes MAP, sometimes Pearl) and only multiballs. I fully admit I'm an intermediate in fixing these things (and I do know the basics). All tests work...everything fires fine during single balls. I've had issue after issue. Every 5 games I have to take the glass off for *some* reason. Perhaps if I studied the schematics for a year or two I could "dial in" the game enough to have it run problem free.
And I don't think my request for ball chase, you know, the option that's actually in the menu, to work, is out of line. It would solve a lot of issues. My kids could at least play it until I get home from work. I don't think I should have to be an operator and know how to fix 7000 problems to own a game, but apparently that's the case with this one. I've owned multiple games (admittedly only from the "modern" era), and this is by faaaaaar the most problematic by a country mile.

Welcome to pinball! No, you shouldn't have to know how to fix 7000 issues to own a game, but you will need to address some - although I absolutely get where your frustration comes from. We've all been there!. This is also one of the most complex games out there. Sorry to hear you're having these issues - sounds like you may have just gotten a lemon. I'd double check your game is level too - I usually find mine somehow walk around and are suddenly out of level.

#154 4 years ago

Jack, give us in hard times a light. We in germany must stay at home. A new software is good to stay home and make a smile in my face.
Stay everybody healthy !!!!

Best regarts

Frank

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

I agree with Rdoyle1978. Check levels and pitch. Something seems off. what you have sounds like Geometry issues that we all should be experiencing I would think.

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

Bummer you're having those issues. My machine did take a fair amount of tweaking to get it dialed in and running smooth. For the stuck balls on the ledges have you tried cabinet bumper dots? I used to get stuck balls on the ledge by the end of the shooter lane wire form but I put a dot at the spot so a ball can't settle there any more. Here's a link to what I'm referring to:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-8-in-Clear-Adhesive-Bumper-Pads-16-Pack-822891/306229466

Hope you can get things smoothed out.

#157 4 years ago

Playfield pitch and being perfectly level side-to-side are imperative on POTC, otherwise there are numerous ball traps. And yes, a code update is way past due.

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Welcome to pinball! No, you shouldn't have to know how to fix 7000 issues to own a game, but you will need to address some - although I absolutely get where your frustration comes from. We've all been there!. This is also one of the most complex games out there. Sorry to hear you're having these issues - sounds like you may have just gotten a lemon. I'd double check your game is level too - I usually find mine somehow walk around and are suddenly out of level.

Hey, thanks for the tip. Sorry was a bit snippy.... I love this game and it's a bit frustrating. And yes - was level - one of the first things I checked. Also, some of the things I fixed were

auto shooter was shooting into the plastic (slightly crooked)
mystery VUK was almost all the time shooting straight into the hole, sometimes over flippers
chest wasn't locking balls
chest was releasing balls when it shouldn't
balls were shooting up over rail (that was easy just had to raise the rail)
and I put pieces of plastic on the edges were balls would decide to sit... they would seem to find new spots though lol

And that was in the first few weeks. Someone messaged me last night though and said they were experiencing the same sort of issues, and don't make it *level*, make it a bit steeper (if I could take it). So I made it one tick more than factory recommendations....and wow. Not only does it play better but so far so good. No issues!! It was something I thought of doing earlier and then just slipped my mind. I am crossing my fingers I finally have a working game... and yes haha thanks for the welcome...I've owned though Metallica, Spider-Man, GOT, LOTR, Freefall, Pinbot (the latter 2 as a youngster) and a few others....none of these gave me even close to as many issues (probably all combined not as many).

I hope that I can finally play this without taking the glass off every few games, but have had about 10+ so far (easily more than I EVER had before) and so far so good. It is a bit steeper but meh whatever, it's a trade off I'll gladly make. I don't mind that it's a bit faster either.

Even got a new GC! (11,7) Yay!

My original point though is still valid in my opinion though...Ball Chase really should work. I understand tweaks to the rules, and shipping incomplete code to rush things out... but menu options should really work IMO. Why even put it in if it doesn't work???? Just frustrating.

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

My original point though is still valid in my opinion though...Ball Chase really should work. I understand tweaks to the rules, and shipping incomplete code to rush things out... but menu options should really work IMO. Why even put it in if it doesn't work???? Just frustrating.

What makes you think it doesn't? I've received chase balls when I've got a stuck one, it just takes a while. It tries hard to shake it loose first.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What makes you think it doesn't? I've received chase balls when I've got a stuck one, it just takes a while. It tries hard to shake it loose first.

How long?!?!? It says 4 ball searches. Mine, 100% does not work, not after 4. I've waited like 10 searches in the past.

I admit, I don't wait an infinite amount of time but when I first got it I waited 4 searches multiple times, and it never once worked. My friend who has an LE as well said he had never had it work and he bought it NIB when it came out. I just assumed didn't work for anyone. I'm surprised to hear you say it works for you. Curious. I'm going to let it ball search now and see. I'll tell you if it does. 100% it's not after 4, I can guarantee that. Not on my machine at any rate.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Just did an experiment. Had it on a 2 player game... pulled a ball out of the game... did about 6-7 ball searches. Then just stopped. Stopped doing ball searches. Never added a ball. Sat there for 3-4 minutes, then went to player 2.

Reset it, did it with 1 player. Did the same thing...multiple ball searches (I stopped counting at 6). The ball searches seemed to stop. It never gave me a ball. Maybe at some point it does, I don't know. If your machine somehow gives you balls, hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Mine doesn't. lol

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Side note, what pitch do you keep your game leveled at Derek?

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Side note, what pitch do you keep your game leveled at Derek?

I use the level on the game with the top of the bubble on the 2nd line from the bottom per JJP recommendation.

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I use the level on the game with the top of the bubble on the 2nd line from the bottom per JJP recommendation.

I just switched mine to a c-hair over the 3rd and man, it's working so much better. I've played 20+ games without issue, and was having CONSTANT issues at the recommended 2 level. Weird eh.

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

I just switched mine to a c-hair over the 3rd and man, it's working so much better. I've played 20+ games without issue, and was having CONSTANT issues at the recommended 2 level. Weird eh.

I have mine on the third line as well and it plays perfect. No issues at all.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

Glad that worked out. Mine is slightly above half way between the 2 and 3. None of the issues you reported

2 weeks later
#167 4 years ago

Really hoping that the update drops soon - be nice to have for lock down!

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Really hoping that the update drops soon - be nice to have for lock down

I hope too, come on Jack...

#169 4 years ago

As a software developer, deploying a large/risky fix to an installed base of machines during this pandemic would be the last thing on my mind.

Keeping the systems working would be the top priority, which means leaving them alone for now.

#170 4 years ago

this is a very bad time and of course health and the system are the most important, but what is wrong to look forward to new software? a little light in the dark time,
stay healthy

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

As a software developer, deploying a large/risky fix to an installed base of machines during this pandemic would be the last thing on my mind.
Keeping the systems working would be the top priority, which means leaving them alone for now.

Thankfully this isn't a situation like releasing a new feature enhancement for a large critical infrastructure that could cause more harm than good. The systems are pinball machines.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thankfully this isn't a situation like releasing a new feature enhancement for a large critical infrastructure that could cause more harm than good. The systems are pinball machines.

Doesn't matter. Do you want to generate 1000 angry support calls while you're in an unprecedented quarantine lockdown? I wouldn't.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Doesn't matter. Do you want to generate 1000 angry support calls while you're in an unprecedented quarantine lockdown? I wouldn't.

Yeah good point. I wonder if there's even 100 support calls regarding a new code update that is often well tested (JJP has beta testers). Even if there's a 1000 calls they don't have to be answered as this isn't code for say a hospital application used by 100's of doctors and nurses. Most issues seem to be reported by beta testers, on the JJP Google Group, or on here. I'm sure JJP is still working on game code but maybe they won't release anything for any of their games until after this is all over like you said.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah good point. I wonder if there's even 100 support calls regarding a new code update that is often well tested (JJP has beta testers). Even if there's a 1000 calls they don't have to be answered as this isn't code for say a hospital application used by 100's of doctors and nurses. Most issues seem to be reported by beta testers, on the JJP Google Group, or on here. I'm sure JJP is still working on game code but maybe they won't release anything for any of their games until after this is all over like you said.

I think it's impossible to know what the circumstances are for JJP and how they're set up to finalize & deploy code and it's not really fair to guess at it either. Stern has released updates for 3 of their machines in the past week and a half so it's fair to say it's not impossible to accomplish but there's really no sense in speculating on JJP's ability to release code updates without knowing exactly what their circumstances are during all this. And I don't know & I don't really want to know 'cause it's not really any of my business.

I've been on the side of thinking they bumped the POTC update down the priority list for way too long, but for me that feeling is on pause right now along with everything else in the world. I just want this whole thing to blow over as quickly as possible so we can try to get back to normal. Then I'll go back to thinking they need to get cracking on getting that POTC update out

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah good point. I wonder if there's even 100 support calls regarding a new code update that is often well tested

Yes. The definitely go up.

I'd say about 99 % of them because they didn't follow instructions in their haste to get the update in the game.

Even if they've done it before. As you walk them through, there is usually a step or two they forgot, or try do it delta install when it should have been a full install and they kill the game.

So by the time they call you their frustration level is way up there, often mad. And don't want to listen to try and get things rolling.

When the software comes out and the games can update themselves. I for one. Will be a happy camper.

LTG : )

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I think it's impossible to know what the circumstances are for JJP and how they're set up to finalize & deploy code and it's not really fair to guess at it either. Stern has released updates for 3 of their machines in the past week and a half so it's fair to say it's not impossible to accomplish but there's really no sense in speculating on JJP's ability to release code updates without knowing exactly what their circumstances are during all this. And I don't know & I don't really want to know 'cause it's not really any of my business.
I've been on the side of thinking they bumped the POTC update down the priority list for way too long, but for me that feeling is on pause right now along with everything else in the world. I just want this whole thing to blow over as quickly as possible so we can try to get back to normal. Then I'll go back to thinking they need to get cracking on getting that POTC update out

Good points, they will get it to it when they get to it. Like you said lots going on right now, especially for JJP with the move and with getting closer to announcing a new pin.

Quoted from LTG:

Yes. The definitely go up.
I'd say about 99 % of them because they didn't follow instructions in their haste to get the update in the game.
Even if they've done it before. As you walk them through, there is usually a step or two they forgot, or try do it delta install when it should have been a full install and they kill the game.
So by the time they call you their frustration level is way up there, often mad. And don't want to listen to try and get things rolling.
When the software comes out and the games can update themselves. I for one. Will be a happy camper.

Yeah that wouldn't be fun to have to address right now with everything going on. Thanks as always for the feedback Lloyd!

#177 4 years ago

Issuing the software update now is actually the PERFECT time, given they have properly tested it.

Think about it; sales are down, if not non-existent; no other updates are being issued. No new machines are being built.

All resources could be focused on supporting the POTC update.

If they can’t handle a few calls now, they will never be able to.

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

stern updated iron man and Danesi updated tna. Tag it with download at your own risk. It’s not like jjp answers their phone for support calls anyway.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Issuing the software update now is actually the PERFECT time, given they have properly tested it.

How do you know this ? There is no way of knowing how it was tested or if any issues were found.

If they can’t handle a few calls now, they will never be able to.

Every update generates more than a few. And I've been able to for almost seven years.

Quoted from estrader:

It’s not like jjp answers their phone for support calls anyway.

I do. Only I don't have access to the ticket desk and I can't send parts.

#180 4 years ago

It’s just a pinball code update...we can always reinstall the old version if there is a real problem. I think they've issued over 50 versions of WOZ code. Personally I’d prefer it if they’d issue several smaller POTC updates, and it would be smart to build some goodwill ahead of releasing their new game. POTC owners seem like the #1 buyer base for a new, non-family oriented theme like GNR.

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

How do you know this ? There is no way of knowing how it was tested or if any issues were found.

Every update generates more than a few. And I've been able to for almost seven years.

Have you known jjp to release a code update of this magnitude (going from below 1.0 to above) without any testing???

Even if there were “more than a few” calls, their reps have little else to focus on right now so they certainly have plenty of time to answer calls on how to properly install the update or walk a customer thru how to go back to the previous version if need-be.

Again, it’s the PERFECT time to release the update (assuming it were already tested).

#182 4 years ago

Have you known jjp to release a code update of this magnitude (going from below 1.0 to above) without any testing???
Even if there were “more than a few” calls, their reps have little else to focus on right now so they certainly have plenty of time to answer calls on how to properly install the update or walk a customer thru how to go back to the previous version if need-be.
Again, it’s the PERFECT time to release the update (assuming it were already tested).

I agree with #LTG on this one. We have a perfectly Beyond playable game at this point with code better then 90% of the games out. This would be a perfect time for You. For JJP, they are (were) in the middle of breaking down the company for a relocation across the country, all employees home more then likely without test gear, a Pandemic!, and more then likely focused on creating content/product that will generate revenue when this global shut down lifts in hopes to stay in business. So no, not a perfect time or priority for JJP in my opinion.

If your a Proof kind of guy.... check out the Houdini page. Josh made it very clear the New beta code Wasn’t done or fully tested. Many pleads later and he said fine here you go and now it will be endless “my game is having issues” posts. Dammed if you do as they say.

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I agree with #LTG on this one. We have a perfectly Beyond playable game at this point with code better then 90% of the games out. This would be a perfect time for You. For JJP, they are (were) in the middle of breaking down the company for a relocation across the country, all employees home more then likely without test gear, a Pandemic!, and more then likely focused on creating content/product that will generate revenue when this global shut down lifts in hopes to stay in business. So no, not a perfect time or priority for JJP in my opinion.
If your a Proof kind of guy.... check out the Houdini page. Josh made it very clear the New beta code Wasn’t done or fully tested. Many pleads later and he said fine here you go and now it will be endless “my game is having issues” posts. Dammed if you do as they say.

Those posts have already started. Nobody’s being petty about it, but yeah... Josh doesn’t technically get paid for working on Houdini either, so we should be thankful there’s an update at all. I would love a POTC update too, but its certainly understandable

#184 4 years ago

Even if there were “more than a few” calls, their reps have little else to focus on right now

Yeah. Why worry about food. When I can reopen my business. If my business will rebound after an extended shut down.

The other techs have families to worry about too.

Again, it’s the PERFECT time to release the update

No it's not.

(assuming it were already tested).

If it was. It would have already been released.

#185 4 years ago

The entire concept of this thread irks me.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yeah. Why worry about food. When I can reopen my business. If my business will rebound after an extended shut down.
The other techs have families to worry about too.

No it's not.

If it was. It would have already been released.

Poor logic. Your reasoning assumes JJP is mistake-proof.

If code were done & tested, this IS the PERFECT time to release it.

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Really hoping that the update drops soon - be nice to have for lock down!

Looks like I inadvertently started something here. To clarify - I didn't mean that I wished for JJP to rush out an untested update due to the circumstances, I was just hoping that the update happens to be ready for release soon. That's all.

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Looks like I inadvertently started something here. To clarify - I didn't mean that I wished for JJP to rush out an untested update due to the circumstances, I was just hoping that the update happens to be ready for release soon. That's all.

That’s how I understood it as well. Not sure why others may have gotten a different impression....

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I think it's reasonable to hope at his point considering the update was discussed a year ago at MGC 2019. JJP has since finished code for Wonka and is now coding another new title so that alone makes asking about an update more than reasonable. JJP will deliver for Pirates owners, they took a while to finish code for the Hobbit but went way over the top with some massive and game changing code updates for the game. When a Pirates update is released I'm sure the wait will be well worth it.

#190 4 years ago

It would be fun if we could have some bypass to get into the wizard modes more easily. I keep using Tia Dalma to stack the chapters. Or I could just keep practicing...

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think it's reasonable to hope at his point considering the update was discussed a year ago at MGC 2019. JJP has since finished code for Wonka and is now coding another new title so that alone makes asking about an update more than reasonable. JJP will deliver for Pirates owners, they took a while to finish code for the Hobbit but went way over the top with some massive and game changing code updates for the game. When a Pirates update is released I'm sure the wait will be well worth it.

It's a good reminder about that Hobbit update - that was a MAJOR update that totally changed the game -

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

It would be fun if we could have some bypass to get into the wizard modes more easily. I keep using Tia Dalma to stack the chapters. Or I could just keep practicing...

Seems kind of odd, but I have an easier time hitting wiz modes using Norrington than I do Tia.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP has since finished code for Wonka and is now coding another new

And working on WiFi for updating all JJP pins and bluetooth too.

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Seems kind of odd, but I have an easier time hitting wiz modes using Norrington than I do Tia.

Easier to use Tia if you’re going for a specific one I guess

#195 4 years ago

Took my PinWoofer out of a STTNG I recently sold, and finally got around to installing to POTC, had to 3D print the molex connector for the power plug because I ran out of 2 position connectors.

Came out OUTSTANDING. Holy crap this game needed BASS!!

#196 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Took my PinWoofer out of a STTNG I recently sold, and finally got around to installing to POTC, had to 3D print the molex connector for the power plug because I ran out of 2 position connectors.
Came out OUTSTANDING. Holy crap this game needed BASS!!

I love mine in potc! If anyone is looking for sound improvement, look no further than PinWoofer. Very reasonable prices imo

#197 4 years ago

Major update to JP2 just released...clearly it is not only possible but a PERFECT time to release new code right now—if it’s ready.

#198 4 years ago

I use tia when I am trying to do wizard modes as well. If I am up for a short game I can focus on one or two movies and bang out a couple wizard modes quick.

I am getting the sympathetic disclaimer out of the way that I completely understand how this pandemic is affecting everyone (I have an issue with a different game that is under warranty and I made it clear when I contacted them it was not for help now but I wanted my issue noted because when this ends I will want help and I wanted to document when the issue began) I have no issues with when the code update happens and not only do I believe it will happen but I think like everything else about this game it will be fantastic. I love the game. However what has bothered me a little is that at some point they could release a known bug fix for some of the issues the game has without unveiling the big final polish. That would show some sensitivity to the owners who bought your product. You need time to nail a final code update. Take the time. But fix some of the small easy things that would show appreciation to the people who bought your product.

Nothing is more annoying than to have a great game, finish all the wizard modes and then all you are doing is playing for score. At least make it like DI or most every other game I have ever owned where it starts over and you can still activate modes!

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

They did massive code changes for the Hobbit due to large amounts of stock existing for a couple of years.

Unless there's a small batch rerelease, there's no sensible reason for them to overhaul POTC the way they did Hobbit. I'm expecting nuanced mode and character balances, and a final wizard mode.

1 month later
#200 3 years ago

bump

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 670 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hate-to-say-it-but-wheresthecode-jjp-potc/page/4?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.