image.jpg
whiny.jpg
play.jpg
Gary-and-Jack.jpg
New Canasta.jpg
new radio-433.jpg
old radio-643.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 644 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
#51 9 years ago

WOZ has pushed Stern to produce higher quality games, but the price has been pushed up as well. I love the fact that we have more companies producing more pinballs for all of us to enjoy. It is a great time for the pinball hobby.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Yes, it revolutionized pinball so well that people no longer want to buy Stern games and a cost cutting game from 2010 with poor DMD resolution would never sell in a post WoZ environment.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I'm looking forward to seeing Smog and what it does on The Hobbit.

Smog destroys everything, including our lungs.

#54 9 years ago

If it comes with a coin mech, then yes it is revolutionary.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

My Zaccaria Time Machine has a headphone jack and that was 31 years ago. Granted it's a 1/4" jack but it has one nonetheless.
Flippers were revolutionary. Maybe even EM to SS could be argued. Everything else is evolutionary.

I'd say that High Speed was also revolutionary in that it was the first one to tell a clear story and put you in the driver's seat. I know the theme speaks to me, I've always wanted to get away from the cops (and drive a red ferrari with a hot blonde in the passenger's).

#56 9 years ago

I wish Python Anghelo was still alive.

If he was, it would be amazing what he could do for JJP. Imagine a game like Pinball Circus but with even more features than it and uber-deep rules. That would truly be revolutionary.

#57 9 years ago

Anyone who thinks WOZ had anything to do with pinball getting more popular in the HOME is NUTS !

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

lolll
-mof

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Oh, O-D...what happened to the dog with the cigar avatar? I'm so depressed...

And I think the LCD is great - it's the first game that's interesting to watch when it's not your turn. The LCD isn't to see what's happening when you're playing - it's to see what was happening when you were playing when you're NOT playing.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh, O-D...what happened to the dog with the cigar Avatar? I'm so depressed...

There! Fixed it for you.

#61 9 years ago

We needed this thread like a hole in the head.

#62 9 years ago

They should have spent more time on the playfield making it fun. The 2 mini playfields are boring with no innovation. The overall gameplay is just average at best .

#63 9 years ago

Tell you one thing it wasn't 8k worth of revolution.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Tell you one thing it wasn't 8k worth of revolution.

Was it $6500 worth?

#65 9 years ago

AC/DC Premium/LE was the first to ship with color changing LEDs, not WOZ.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Yeah...I wonder where that idea came from? Hmmm...

#67 9 years ago

lol was woz even the 2nd game to ship with color changing LEDs?

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Smog destroys everything, including our lungs.

Listen to Rob. He's in SoCal!

#69 9 years ago

You guys kill me, to even compare the 3 color LED's on AC/DC with the complete RGB LED lights on WOZ is laughable!!

#70 9 years ago

^^^^^^^^^

Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah...I wonder where that idea came from? Hmmm...

I wonder? Ac/dc premium/Le came out around May/June of 2012 from what I recall.

Wasn't Woz announced like 5 years ago with the color changing RGB led's? Oh yeah, January of 2011. When does the Hobbit start shipping?

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

^^^^^^^^^

I wonder? Ac/dc premium/Le came out around May/June of 2012 from what I recall.
Wasn't Woz announced like 5 years ago with the color changing RGB led's? Oh yeah, January of 2011. When does the Hobbit start shipping?

AC/DC was early 2012. X-Men was summer of 2012.

#72 9 years ago

And announced and shipping are two very different things!

#73 9 years ago

heres revolutionary. set up a fan link to send designed playfield layouts in, let fans do your work(stern), give them credit somehow (discounts, awards, recognition) so no ones getting ripped off, pick and choose like movie scripts. this could save a lot money w/ using unlicensed themes. since you could have the art sent in by fans as well.

how cool would it be to come up with a play field design that steve/lyman puts their touch on?

heres some more freebies for stern/jjp since we just created a way to free up some costs.

1) online linkage - figure a way to set games to same-ish set up, then link the scores w/ online system. run tournaments like the app stuff does. giving away entries into real live tourneys

2)bluetooth technology - whenever i play w/ others in a tournament setting, I'm easily distracted by outside visuals, sounds, exc. plus its nice to have the sounds of the game coach you on shots needed when in a loud atmosphere.

3)always wanted to involve real smoke, or vapor into a pin for some reason. just think it would be sweet.

#74 9 years ago

WOZ changed everything, and pushed Stern to be a better company as well.

What I'd like to see now is some sort of out-of-left-field game, like Angry Birds or Minecraft, to really turn the pinball demographic on its head.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

WOZ changed everything, and pushed Stern to be a better company as well.

Gary-and-Jack.jpgGary-and-Jack.jpg

#76 9 years ago

Since JJP i am priced out of NIB.

Thanks!

#77 9 years ago

And announced and shipping are two very different things!

Exactly, announce Woz in Jan of 2011, try and upgrade quickly by Stern to meet the challenge, because as we all know, Stern can pump those pins out really fast, nice effort with Ac/dc, love it, the pro came out in March of 2012

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

You guys kill me, to even compare the 3 color LED's on AC/DC with the complete RGB LED lights on WOZ is laughable!!

Actually the ACDC GI are three color and unlike WoZ it can be played in the dark. The inserts are 1,000,000 colors...

#79 9 years ago

WOZ might not be the first machine to introduce some of the innovations listed above, but it is a great attempt to set a new overall standard for design and innovation. For that it should be praised.

Unquestionably, it has taken the quality of production to a new level.

#80 9 years ago

Competition is a good thing for the entire industry.

#81 9 years ago

I think we are down to like 4 die hard fans that still think WOZ is the shit .

IMVE Revolutionized unrecognizable images on the LED screen!

#82 9 years ago

Tell me you didn't see the contents of this thread before you opened it.

#83 9 years ago

Pinball 2000 will forever be the most revolutionary pinball machine ever created...............

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I think we are down to like 4 die hard fans that still think WOZ is the shit .
IMVE Revolutionized unrecognizable images on the LED screen!

I think the "dirty dozen" has been cut down to about a half dozen now…..

Woz is "the shit", you'll figure it out one day, actually, I know you already know it!

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Pinball 2000 will forever be the most revolutionary pinball machine ever created...............

I hate to say it, but at least for now, you are right.

#86 9 years ago

I thought it was Humpty Dumpty.

#87 9 years ago

I think it is the shit, I just don't give enough of shit to try and convince people of it. Anyone that comes and plays mine is amazed and gravitates towards it and actually ask about coming back over to play it. I don't have the biggest line up but no one talks about my other games like they do of WOZ.

As for the RGB led comparison, give me a break. If anyone thinks what Stern has done with RGB LEDs compares in any way to how JJP uses them in WOZ is just a f'ing lunatic.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I think it is the shit, I just don't give enough of shit to try and convince people of it.

You just did a pretty good job of doing it !

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I think it is the shit, I just don't give enough of shit to try and convince people of it. Anyone that comes and plays mine is amazed and gravitates towards it and actually ask about coming back over to play it. I don't have the biggest line up but no one talks about my other games like they do of WOZ.
As for the RGB led comparison, give me a break. If anyone thinks what Stern has done with RGB LEDs compares in any way to how JJP uses them in WOZ is just a f'ing lunatic.

I guess I'm a "f'ing lunatic" then, because the color changing LEDs in STLE are very comparable to WoZ in my opinion.

#90 9 years ago

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! It's Taylor vs. McCune! Oh, man...this is gonna be awesome. Going to get some popcorn - don't post again till I get back ...

And RobT! Even better!!!

#91 9 years ago

Okay. I'm back! Aaaaaaand...GO!!!

#92 9 years ago

Actually, I haven't seen anything revolutionary in pinball since Pinball 2000.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

You just did a pretty good job of doing it !

#94 9 years ago

Maybe we should start a thread with a poll to see who wins the argument?

The poll question would read as follows:

" Do you think that if anyone thinks what Stern has done with RGB LEDs compares in any way to how JJP uses them in WOZ, they are just a f'ing lunatic"?

Options would be "yes", "no", and "I don't give a sh*t".

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Do you think that if anyone thinks what Stern has done with RGB LEDs compares in any way to how JJP uses them in WOZ, they are just a f'ing lunatic"?

Oh, they not only compare, Sterns RGB actually work on location which is a total landslide victory !

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I guess I'm a "f'ing lunatic" then, because the color changing LEDs in STLE are very comparable to WoZ in my opinion.

You are.

Have you played WOZ with any of the new code? The way the inserts direct the player as they change? How you can have several modes stacked and still keep track of what to shoot because of the LEDs? How about fireball frenzy and the way the LEDs flicker to simulate fire?

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Maybe we should start a thread with a poll to see who wins the argument?
The poll question would read as follows:
" Do you think that if anyone thinks what Stern has done with RGB LEDs compares in any way to how JJP uses them in WOZ, they are just a f'ing lunatic"?
Options would be "yes", "no", and "I don't give a sh*t".

Sounds like time well spent. :p

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Oh, they not only compare, Sterns RGB actually work on location which is a total landslide victory !

I'm not defending JJPs inability to produce a working game. That's a whole different topic.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I thought it was Humpty Dumpty.

Sure was, first with flippers- that's Flippers not Slippers – sorry, Couldn’t help myself

#100 9 years ago

I don't think pinball can be revolutionized. I think you can make it cooler. I think you can modernize it...but to me a revolution would cause tons of people outside our hardcore group to give a shit. A revolution would mean that people would be going to arcades again to specifically play pinball. So much so that operators would have to buy multiples of the revolutionary game to keep up with demand. That's just not going to happen, and it just goes back to the fact that the arcade itself as WE grew up with it is an obsolete concept. No one has to go to an arcade to play games. Most go now to win prizes. Unless pinball turns into a redemption machine - it's going to continue to be what it is. A cool game that some people passionately love, and others casually enjoy when one happens to be around.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
There are 644 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-woz-revolutionized-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.