Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dayhuff
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-07-04-09-37-41 (resized).png
    preview.php.jpg
    #1 4 years ago

So I have a game in the market for trade and I received an offer that we both agree on. He is 5 hours away and we decide to meet halfway, but then he can not get a day off for almost 3 weeks. Now I have a few days open so I ask if he will be around if I plan a trip to him, after a few conversations he says yes, I will be here Saturday anytime. So I book a hotel and reach out to him to see if since I drove to whole amount, can he meet me at my hotel or near by. He tells me he cant get his game up from the basement by himself. Since I'm booked there and cant cancel, I say i guess i will drive the whole way and drag your game up the stairs also. Now the last 3 weeks i have had tremendous pain in my arm from a sprained neck, but against my wife's wishes, i really want this game and will bite the bullet!
    2 days before I leave, trying to get everything situated he sends me a message asking if he can call. He informs me that he received a better offer for the game, but doesn't wanna be a d*** and back out of our deal. I tell him it's ultimately up to you to make the decision, he says he will decide and call me back today to let me know what he will do.
    Just like I thought, did not hear from him again. So now I'm driving up to Chicago for 2 days, and no new pins are coming home.
    This is the first bad experience I have had on pinside, but at least I didnt lose a bunch of cash or pin.

#2 4 years ago

Please let us know a name of who not to deal with. Pretty shitty of him to do that, It sounded flaky from the start.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

Please let us know a name of who not to deal with. Pretty shitty of him to do that, It sounded flaky from the start.

Absolutely share the name so that no one else runs into this situation with him.
    -Mike

#4 4 years ago

You were crazy for making that trip in the first place since you already knew the guy is an unreliable asshole.

#5 4 years ago

Name and shame,bro

#6 4 years ago
    preview.php.jpgpreview.php.jpg
    #7 4 years ago

This is the flaky part.

Quoted from finnflash:

but then he can not get a day off for almost 3 weeks. Now I have a few days open so I ask if he will be around if I plan a trip to him, after a few conversations he says yes, I will be here Saturday anytime.

#8 4 years ago

He has a very expensive Gilligan's for sale.(no that was not the game I was getting)

I should have waited, I know, but when he said what day he was available I jumped at it.

#9 4 years ago

When you saw the GI for 10.5K that should have told you to use extreme caution going in. Hopefully you got a refund for hotel room so no money was lost.

#10 4 years ago

Why a hotel room if its a 5 hr drive?

#11 4 years ago

LOL. The Gilligan's Island for 10G. That right there was enough to let you know that the guy is nuts. That must be why it hasn't sold yet... he doesn't have the time to meet with all the buyers knocking down his door. Update... I retract my statement about the price of the Gilligan's. I didn't realize it came with a professionally framed flyer.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I thought I would bring my son to 6 flags since I was going that far.

#13 4 years ago

Take him anyway and have a good time.

#14 4 years ago

Backing out of a deal to sell to someone else is a dick move.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from finnflash:

I thought I would bring my son to 6 flags since I was going that far.

Awesome

#16 4 years ago

New Pinside member with an outrageously priced game for sale is always a red flag. And yeah, backing out like that is a total "dick move".

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

Take him anyway and have a good time.

Yeah, leaving in the morning.
    I tried setting up another trade, and I had GAP give me some great offers, just not exactly what I wanted.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Sometimes the wife and I will make a short weekend getaway out of a pin acquisition like this.

If it's just me, hell no, that's a round trip drive.

#19 4 years ago

I think that I may have got my Metallica from the same guy. My experience with him was very good.
    Yours obviously sucks. Sorry to hear that.

#20 4 years ago

I think it would have been fine, if he decided to trade

#21 4 years ago

I (kinda) had a similar situation happen - had a classic car for sale very reasonably, lotsa people asking about it. Guy paypals me $1000 to hold it (without me asking). He lived about 500 miles away. I was getting cold feet because I loved the car - called him, decided to honor the deal anyways. He was gonna keep the car for his sons graduation in 5 years, blah blah blah. I told him "when the day comes to sell it, you call me first".

9 months later I get a call, "Hey, I'm selling the car if you're interested". For 3 times the price I sold it to him for.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from finnflash:

He has a very expensive Gilligan's for sale.(no that was not the game I was getting)

What's with the riddles?

Quoted from finnflash:

2 days before I leave, trying to get everything situated he sends me a message asking if he can call. He informs me that he received a better offer for the game, but doesn't wanna be a d*** and back out of our deal. I tell him it's ultimately up to you to make the decision, he says he will decide and call me back today to let me know what he will do.
    Just like I thought, did not hear from him again.

Did you contact him again and explain the effort and expense you had to go through and give him a chance to settle in some way? Perhaps he should split the extra profit he made on the game with you!

There's no reason not to name him unless you're waiting on him to do something more to settle with you in some way, or there's more to the story.

Don't forget to use the feedback function under his profile: that's what it's there for.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from finnflash:

I think it would have been fine, if he decided to trade

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

9 months later I get a call, "Hey, I'm selling the car if you're interested". For 3 times the price I sold it to him for.

Jeez, and I thought pinflation was bad.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

What's with the riddles?

Did you contact him again and explain the effort and expense you had to go through and give him a chance to settle in some way? Perhaps he should split the extra profit he made on the game with you!
    There's no reason not to name him unless you're waiting on him to do something more to settle with you in some way, or there's more to the story.
    Don't forget to use the feedback function under his profile: that's what it's there for.

Because, like I said it was his decision. He did call me to tell me he was thinking of doing the other deal. I just was hoping he did the right thing and let me know his decision. He just didnt respond after that.

#26 4 years ago

Some honor their word while others don't.
    It's always been that way and things
    will continue that way.
    Just the way it is.

#27 4 years ago

3===D Move

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from finnflash:

So I have a game in the market for trade and I received an offer that we both agree on. He is 5 hours away and we decide to meet halfway, but then he can not get a day off for almost 3 weeks. Now I have a few days open so I ask if he will be around if I plan a trip to him, after a few conversations he says yes, I will be here Saturday anytime. So I book a hotel and reach out to him to see if since I drove to whole amount, can he meet me at my hotel or near by. He tells me he cant get his game up from the basement by himself. Since I'm booked there and cant cancel, I say i guess i will drive the whole way and drag your game up the stairs also. Now the last 3 weeks i have had tremendous pain in my arm from a sprained neck, but against my wife's wishes, i really want this game and will bite the bullet!
    Just like I thought, did not hear from him again. So now I'm driving up to Chicago for 2 days, and no new pins are coming home.
    This is the first bad experience I have had on pinside, but at least I didnt lose a bunch of cash or pin.

What is the pin you were trying to get?

#29 4 years ago

btw, that was a super shitty move of him. You should definitely leave feedback for him and name him.

Screenshot_2019-07-04-09-37-41 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-07-04-09-37-41 (resized).png
    #30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

What is the pin you were trying to get?

I was trading my TSPP for Alice Copper.

#31 4 years ago

Not good, but as I read your post it reads like he gave you the option to still accept the deal and you replied it’s up to him? Is that correct?

Maybe you should just call his bluff and say you want it and see what transpires, but at this point it just may be/leave a bad taste in your mouth about the whole deal. Hope it works out for you however you decide. Safe travels.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Not good, but as I read your post it reads like he gave you the option to still accept the deal and you replied it’s up to him? Is that correct?
    Maybe you should just call his bluff and say you want it and see what transpires, but at this point it just may be/leave a bad taste in your mouth about the whole deal. Hope it works out for you however you decide. Safe travels.

Yeah, I guess your right. I could have been a bit more assertive and that might have made him do the right thing.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from finnflash:

Because, like I said it was his decision. He did call me to tell me he was thinking of doing the other deal. I just was hoping he did the right thing and let me know his decision. He just didnt respond after that.

I don't get it. If you were being so magnanimous to him, why are you posting here about it? It implies it would have been more accurate for you to tell him you had a deal and you expect him to keep it.

#34 4 years ago

I just needed to vent, been having bad stuff happen a lot lately.
    Mainly not getting back with me to tell me he was going with the other deal was the final issue.

#35 4 years ago

Man, talk about bending over backwards. It’s amazing the lengths we’ll go to get the game we want. Hope you and your son have a good time at 6 Flags. Might want to look into the speed pass, I’m not fond of standing in lines.

#36 4 years ago

Tell him to go fuck himself

#37 4 years ago

Haven't had it quite as bad as you. Recently, I had a guy back out of a deal after I sent him a deposit. Fortunately, it was the next or two day and he refunded my deposit. I had already started making arrangements to make the 8 to 10 hour drive to get it (4.5 hrs or so each way), so I wasn't out anything. Just disappointed as I was looking forward to getting the game. I suspect he got a better offer, but he said his son wanted to keep the game. Such is life.

Hope you are able to make lemonade out of the lemons and have a good trip!

#38 4 years ago

Glad he has been outed

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from VGC1612:

LOL

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from VGC1612:

Exactly!! That's the way you vent!

#41 4 years ago

to bad we couldn't get a deal put together for my ACNC. Half the drive, and im not a dick and back out of deals. Good luck in your search

#42 4 years ago

FYI, Great America's newest coaster opens TODAY! Lines will be very long for it, so prepare for that if you want to go on it.

Maxx Force. 0-78 in under two seconds. Solid.

#43 4 years ago

Curious how much better the other deal was.

It's interesting to see how much monetary value people put on their integrity. I once had someone back out a deal for a train table for my kids for an extra $10.

It's only pinball, but a deal is your word and your integrity. I couldn't imagine selling that out for a few hundred bucks.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

to bad we couldn't get a deal put together for my ACNC. Half the drive, and im not a dick and back out of deals. Good luck in your search

Yeah, you guys had the same upgrades. He just wanted a lot less cash on my end, which was good because I dont have a lot. Lol

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from finnflash:

He informs me that he received a better offer for the game

The proper response to this is "GFY, deal is off". The reason for that response is that no matter what happens, it won't be a good deal for you. Someone is getting squeezed, and it is time to make sure it isn't you. As the buyer, those words are never followed by "but it is yours because I agreed to that".

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

10 hours roundtrip driving can be rough for some people.

#47 4 years ago

What a dick move. You should tell him that you expect him to reimburse you 1/2 the hotel cost. And don't forget to tell us his name.
    No shaming. Just so that everyone can put him on their do not do business with list.

#48 4 years ago

This is a variation of the “my wife won’t let me sell / buy” after you’ve already made a deal. I have logged hours in the car and hotel $$ and had this happen -on the way-. Total dick move. Especially if there’s a long drive involved. The dude should cover your hotel -at least-.

#49 4 years ago

Another name to my "Never do business with" list. What an asshole move.

#50 4 years ago

I've had this happen time and time again. One time I didn't find out that he sold it until I pulled in the driveway, knocked on the door and his wife said he sold the game already and left the house rather quickly. So the wife call's him and she tells her that he sold it to the other guy because he was only ten minutes from this guys house, while I was racing 2 1/2 hours to get there..., which he knew that before I ever left my house. Needless to say I wasn't very happy and drove home empty handed, we'll other then the gas I had to buy to get there and back....UGH!!

John

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-this-happened-to-you-1?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.