Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by nasco62
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

So I completely stripped BF yesterday, waxed it and replaced all lights with LED's.

After I completed the reassemble of the playfield parts I noticed I have lost 2 nuts and have 3 extra screws in my parts cup??

I looked over everything and can’t find where I missed a screw or where the nuts went?

The game plays fine with no tech issues. But I can’t stop thinking about the extra screws and lost nuts.

#2 12 years ago

That happens to me everytime I've stripped down a playfield. Just happened again on this past Saturday. It's like the extra parts fairy drops by.

#3 12 years ago

This is why I have yet to take apart a machine. I am too chicken.

#4 12 years ago

Happens when working on cars too.

#5 12 years ago

Just save them in a little baggie in case you figure out where they go.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Yea that's about all you can do if you did a thorough look over and can't see where they go. If there is an area where I think I could forget something when I take it apart I take plenty of before pictures which helps a lot.

#7 12 years ago

This is one manifestation of quantum uncertainty on the macro scale - one that scientists have failed to adequately study. You see, there is not a fixed number of screws/nuts/etc in a pinball machine. The possible values for the number of screws/nuts/etc in a given PF/assembly/etc can only be represented as a probability distribution. In fact, (in a manifestation of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle), you cannot measure the number of parts in a given example of a pinball machine (or subassembly) without taking it apart and counting them. And when you put the machine back together, you similarly cannot know exactly how many screws/nuts/etc will be required until you try to put it back together - though in all cases the number of screws/nuts/etc will be close to what was specified in the design.

All this assumes that any example of a PF or other subassembly is working - if not, of course, all bets are off w/regard to how many parts are in it.

Yes, I am a bit bored at work.

#8 12 years ago

Left over parts is the sign of a good mechanic (or pinball tech).

#9 12 years ago

Sometimes you will end up with extras because there are parts in the bottom of the cabinet.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

That's very practical, Steve. Well done!

#11 12 years ago

With every section is take apart, I put a little note in my ziplok baggy about how many screws were involved.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from DrAzzy:

This is one manifestation of quantum uncertainty on the macro scale - one that scientists have failed to adequately study. You see, there is not a fixed number of screws/nuts/etc in a pinball machine. The possible values for the number of screws/nuts/etc in a given PF/assembly/etc can only be represented as a probability distribution. In fact, (in a manifestation of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle), you cannot measure the number of parts in a given example of a pinball machine (or subassembly) without taking it apart and counting them. And when you put the machine back together, you similarly cannot know exactly how many screws/nuts/etc will be required until you try to put it back together - though in all cases the number of screws/nuts/etc will be close to what was specified in the design.

So what you're really saying is that my machine is both alive and dead at the same time or at any moment a cat is going to appear in my coin door?

#13 12 years ago

Lol DrAzzy.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Left over parts is the sign of a good mechanic (or pinball tech).

So it is better to get them to work with fewer parts? Nice!

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Sometimes you will end up with extras because there are parts in the bottom of the cabinet.

Yes, among other things. Last game I took apart had a rusty razor blade, a few screws and washers, a rusted screwdriver tip, and two quarters!

#16 12 years ago

The funny part is, the game works just fine without those parts doesn't it!

#17 12 years ago

There is always the possibility it was assembled wrong and you did it right this time and thus had parts left over.

LTG

#18 12 years ago

I usually wind up needing more screws and such along the way. Not sure how but I just go with it. If it works without it, it didnt need it in the first place.

#19 12 years ago

I've avoided this problem by putting everything in ziplock bags while I'm tearing a game down. Of course it never hurts to have extra hardware on hand.

#20 12 years ago

Haha i hate when that happens.

#21 12 years ago

I call them factory spares!!! Most things are over engineered anyway.

Its a bit of a worry if you are doing and engine rebuilt and their are bits left over.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-this-every-happened-to-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.