(Topic ID: 165661)

POLL: Has the recent playfield ghosting issues swayed you from purchasing?

By kpg

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Has the recent Stern playfield ghosting issues swayed you from purchasing a NIB pin?”

• Yes - I either cancelled or changed my mind to purchase NIB. I will not roll the dice and hope I get a non-defective game. 144 votes
      72%
    • No - I am sticking with my NIB order from Stern. I live on the edge, i'll take the gamble and worry about it later. 57 votes
      28%

(201 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).png
    russian-roulette.jpg
    IMG_2504_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).png
    IMG_3969_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3968_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3970_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3967_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3966_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3959_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3958_(resized).JPG

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

As the poll says- have you either cancelled or changed your mind about purchasing a NIB Stern pinball machine due to recent playfield quality issues with ghosted inserts?

Has Stern's lack of public acknowledgment factored into your decision, possibly due to loss of confidence in their products?

Disclaimer: I am a recipient of a GB LE machine with ghosted inserts that is worsening by the day, and Stern has yet to reply or acknowledge my complaint to either myself or my distributor after several days of letting them know.

#2 2 years ago

If I was on the fence for GB and another title. This issue would push me over to the other side

#3 2 years ago

I gave up on Stern a long time ago
    Quality control is lacking, it is not as if making playfields is a new thing, but there seems to be always an issue

#4 2 years ago

Yes and no. I'm still waiting on my GBLE which I'm not going to cancel but am also considering a SMVE which I may end up passing on due to ghosting at least in part.

#5 2 years ago

If the game play sucks then I'm out. Otherwise I'm staying. I've been though
    more than this with WOZ.

#6 2 years ago

No. But not because I live on the edge. I don't consider buying pinball machines particularly edgy behaviour. It's pretty soft really.

#7 2 years ago

Happy to take the "risk" but it's going back to my distributor if there's a problem.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Happy to take the "risk" but it's going back to my distributor if there's a problem.

And what makes you think your distributor will take it back? Here in Canada some have said the distributor will take it back at a 15% restocking fee!!!!

#9 2 years ago

Whatever problems Stern is having I wish they would just make a statement acknowledging some issues and that their taking steps to correct the problem. For the amount of money they expect people to spend it's the least they could do. Communication is a key to good customer service.

#10 2 years ago

Think the initial results show how people are swayed by stern trying to save a few dollars by using a cheaper process! Wake up Gary, people would gladly pay a few dollars more for a product that is consistent... And you would sell more product. I like GB but i wont take the risk on poor quality or code you decide is not worth spending a bit more time on.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from earetz:

people would gladly pay a few dollars more for a product that is consistent

I'm not willing to pay more. They've been jacking the price up for 6 years in a row. For what? Lighter pinballs that cost less to ship, less parts, less metal parts, less time to assemble one which mean less labor, less wiring...At one point your cash cow is out of milk. For me this GB incident is the thing that tipped the scale. Unless Stern is willing to warrant their playfields when incidents like this happen and communicate with their faithful buyers then I will not buy NIB Sterns.

#12 2 years ago

It's got me looking at the secondary market. Definitely not buying anything shipping from the factory until I'm 100% issues have been remedied.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

And what makes you think your distributor will take it back? Here in Canada some have said the distributor will take it back at a 15% restocking fee!!!!

Australian consumer law for one thing, but more importantly we have a good distributor.

A 15% re-stocking fee on faulty goods is illegal in Australia.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I'm not willing to pay more. They've been jacking the price up for 6 years in a row. For what? Lighter pinballs that cost less to ship, less parts, less metal parts, less time to assemble one which mean less labor, less wiring...At one point your cash cow is out of milk. For me this GB incident is the thing that tipped the vase. Unless Stern is willing to warrant their playfields when incidents like this happen and communicate with their faithful buyers then I will not buy NIB Sterns.

^Yes yes yes yes yes^ this also. Keep jackin up the price stern and I'll be out permanently. Take care of your loyal customers before you lose them, and in turn we won't lose you.

#15 2 years ago

I've got money sitting in the bank and could buy multiple pins right now. I wouldn't dare buy a NIB Stern until they address this issue. JJP on the other hand, is building amazing pins and the support is fantastic. Loving my Wozle and Smaug!!

#16 2 years ago

I'd love to know what is really going on with this issue. I'd love to see the costs of everything. How much they saved, how much labor it takes to assemble a playfield, the real bottom line on this. But I never will.

This has been an issue for at least 8 months that I've known about, which means it has most likely been going on a lot longer. And it is still ongoing. It impacts the largest cost item in a pinball machine if you include all the labor needed to populate a playfield. If they haven't solved it after this much time, I'd expect it to go on for a while.

#17 2 years ago

We have a GBpro on route. I was seriously considering GBpro or GBprem as my very first NIB Stern for myself/at home. After all the insert issues (and these will end up as cracks and topcoat chiping in time) I have decided I am now waiting for expo to spend some time on Dominos, Aliens, JJP#3, or another tried and true classic instead.

#18 2 years ago

LE arrived yesterday (So that's a "no" in the poll ).

Drop targets flush. All connections solid. Extra steel plate near the captive ball. Slimer is 100% functioning. Spellcheck was ON when they did the playfield. As far as the inserts go, "you don't talk about a no hitter, during a no hitter." (Crossing fingers)

Yeah I've seen some crazy airballs here and there. Scoleri Bros working just fine though.

The most important thing about this pin is it's tough as balls. Flipper gap is a sinking feeling. You know you have NO chance of saving it with a save of a flipper tip. It's meant to play as fast as Spider-Man, but requires the ball control of Creature. Very difficult for sure. Pinball Universe kit will go on soon to prevent the occasional outlane jumps.

My advice is to keep plenty of beer next to you to drown your sorrows.

IMG_3958_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3959_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3966_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3967_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3970_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3968_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3969_(resized).JPG

#19 2 years ago

Absolutely. I've cancelled my GB premium order over the playfield issues as well Stern continuing to raise prices while DMDs remain in new games, code updates take forever to come out and features are stripped out. No more.

Until Stern gets their act together and starts offering value and quality at all levels with their products I'll only be buying JJP games NIB.

If Stern wants to charge insane prices for NIB games they better deliver amazing quality at the same time.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Absolutely. I've cancelled my GB premium order over the playfield issues as well Stern continuing to raise prices while DMDs remain in new games, code updates take forever to come out and features are stripped out. No more.
    Until Stern gets their act together and starts offering value and quality at all levels with their products I'll only be buying JJP games NIB.
    If Stern wants to charge insane prices for NIB games they better deliver amazing quality at the same time.

What features are stripped out on premiums?

#21 2 years ago

I think the used pin market is going to heat up until Stern gets these problems solved.

#22 2 years ago

I canceled delivery of my LE. I will only be purchasing older HUO machines moving forward.

I just don't have the time to deal with garbage like this, especially at 8K.

#23 2 years ago

Nice to see Stern take some corrective action on the captive ball bending wire issue. It looks like the last LE's made might be getting some extra love from Stern.

image_(resized).png

#24 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Please follow up at 3 month, and 6 months with updates.

#25 2 years ago

The poll results are pretty staggering.

Stern, do what's right- make a statement about this and give customers confidence in your products. You are busy promoting a $6400 EM beer themed machine, and ignoring the customers who have already spent their hard earned money on defective machines. Speak up - it's clearly affecting sales of your machines.

It will only get worse the longer you remain silent.

#26 2 years ago

My GB LE will be delivered tomorrow. Fingers crossed I won't have the ghosting issues that the early machines seem to be suffering from. If I didn't have an LE on order I would have certainly seriously considering canceling and waiting to see how this all shakes out. Hard to pass on an LE though and I have faith Stern will make things right, they've taken care of me in the past.

#27 2 years ago

I cancelled my order and immediately picked up a friends order for a Hobbit over this issue. I don't every want to spend that kind of money and end up with a machine with a known problem. I don't care what the percentage of machines with a problem is....I am not Stern's guinea pig. And I love my Hobbit, so it worked out pretty good.

#28 2 years ago

Cancelled my premium

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

I cancelled my order and immediately picked up a friends order for a Hobbit over this issue. I don't every want to spend that kind of money and end up with a machine with a known problem. I don't care what the percentage of machines with a problem is....I am not Stern's guinea pig. And I love my Hobbit, so it worked out pretty good.

You made the right choice. My Hobbit LE is 2x better built then my GB LE, and feels every bit of what an $8K+ pinball machine should be. It doesn't even have ghosted inserts- can you believe it?

#30 2 years ago

Have an LE on order since day 1, and I think I'm 50/50 on cancelling. I'm completely ok with incomplete code, patience pays off and I can wait plenty. The ghosting is really, really causing me to reconsider spending that kind of cash on a NIB instead of waiting to buy a HUO premium without issues.

Gonna mull it over, no vote yet.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrmark0673:

Gonna mull it over, no vote yet.

...so you have been swayed from purchasing a nib, you just aren't sure how it's going to play out yet or effect your actions.

#32 2 years ago

Update! (I'll copy/paste this in the other threads to make sure everyone reads it)
    My bitching and whining - as some may say - may be working to some degree.
    I was contacted today by someone high up in the Stern ladder- I'll keep their name quiet for now, let's just say it's someone you want calling you directly and addressing.

He said that they are very much aware of the playfield issues, and are working with everyone responsible for playfields to determine what caused the issue, what to do to resolve it, and what they will be doing for customers who currently are affected by the ghosting problem. This person assured me customers with this problem will be taken care of, when they come up with the 'plan of attack' on how and when they will be able to handle it. Rest assured, he gave me the confidence that Stern is going to make this right. He went as far as saying he has 3 meetings scheduled for today alone to discuss this issue.

For now, I think we should probably kick back a little bit and let this play out for the next week or two. If buying a pin right now, know that it doesn't sound like they have figured out the issue so you may still receive a game that is affected. Luckily, it doesn't seem like leaving us high and dry is in the cards with something this big.

Just wanted to let you guys know!

#33 2 years ago

Good news

#34 2 years ago

Glad to hear something really wish they had resolved the issue on current playfields though

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Update! (I'll copy/paste this in the other threads to make sure everyone reads it)
    My bitching and whining - as some may say - may be working to some degree.
    I was contacted today by someone high up in the Stern ladder- I'll keep their name quiet for now, let's just say it's someone you want calling you directly and addressing.
    He said that they are very much aware of the playfield issues, and are working with everyone responsible for playfields to determine what caused the issue, what to do to resolve it, and what they will be doing for customers who currently are affected by the ghosting problem. This person assured me customers with this problem will be taken care of, when they come up with the 'plan of attack' on how and when they will be able to handle it. Rest assured, he gave me the confidence that Stern is going to make this right. He went as far as saying he has 3 meetings scheduled for today alone to discuss this issue.
    For now, I think we should probably kick back a little bit and let this play out for the next week or two. If buying a pin right now, know that it doesn't sound like they have figured out the issue so you may still receive a game that is affected. Luckily, it doesn't seem like leaving us high and dry is in the cards with something this big.
    Just wanted to let you guys know!

Sounds good, but I am glad I canceled.

#36 2 years ago

Nah, the ghosting hasn't swayed me from buying NIB anymore. But the lack of titles that interest me sure has.

#37 2 years ago

I was saving money for Aerosmith, but I'll be waiting for a few months to make sure there aren't issues with the first wave of games coming off the line.

#38 2 years ago

All Stern has to do is swap out all the bad playfields and then announce Star Wars and all will be forgotten.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from JonH123:

All Stern has to do is swap out all the bad playfields and then announce Star Wars and all will be forgotten.

Hell they don't even have to swap out the PFs.

Hasn't swayed me, if the next title looks well I'll buy.

#40 2 years ago

Poll choices do not cover all contingencies.

No, the recent issues HAVE (not has) not swayed me, I wasn't buying anyway!

But it does sound like critical mass has been reached, to where they are finally addressing the issue. About time! Things should be "all cleared up" before the Monty Python pin happens!

#41 2 years ago

Bumping this again to get more votes, the numbers are very interesting and Stern has to be feeling some pressure at this point to publicly respond..

#42 2 years ago

Canceled two pros, after waiting sonce march. Still have one premium coming for a client.

#43 2 years ago

Haven't cancelled my premium....but waiting to see what they will do. If they can't fix it, then I'm out. GB is a great game, but should have a perfect playfield. I already have a Hobbit coming and definitely in on JJP #3. I'm agree with Playernumber4 and Panzerfreak!

I will only Buy JJP games from this point forward.

#44 2 years ago

I honestly cannot believe ANYONE would be buying a NIB Stern at this point. Completely blows my mind.

#45 2 years ago

I backed out because of the delays earlier. Now, the severe playfield issues and more...... Secondary market from here on out.

#46 2 years ago

I was going to buy a NIB TWD Premium, picked up a HUO TWD LE instead. The ghosting issue had me re-thinking the NIB and caused me to search used ads.....Very happy with the LE find. Now considering a NIB Metallica Premium, but again the ghosting issue had me re-thinking.....Now considering a Hobbit instead......

#47 2 years ago

I'm holding out on my Premium. I have not even been asked for the balance due yet, but I won't be paying the rest until I start seeing Premiums shipped without issues. If I have to wait for the second run, that's fine, I wan't all issues resolved before paying.

#48 2 years ago

I have a very early run GB. I might have missed the issue. But, I will not be buying a NIB Stern at least until the issue is fixed and likely long after that. I'm looking forward to the next Spooky machine (Dominos Bro stream on the 20th and if any news from the next game happens at Expo), JJP #3, and the Alien reveal and will see if any of them catches my fancy. I don't HAVE to get anything, but I know where I WON'T be getting anything for a while.

#49 2 years ago

Recently cancelled my GB Premium order.

#50 2 years ago

No, just wish it would get here.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 27.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 149.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 89.00
    $ 6.95
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 87.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 11.95
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside