(Topic ID: 57324)

Has the Pinball industry spiraled out of control ?

By stretch2

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Anth
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from stretch2:

Clearly the Pinball industry is spiraling out of control.New Pinball machines are priced out of reach for most people with families and expenses or maxed out credit cards.Hot titles are being flipped for outrageous prices. And used pinball machines are also going for all time high prices.What will the ceiling be when trading pins may be the only answer ?

People with families and high expenses should maybe not have nib pinball machines. It's people's priorities that are out of control.

My two cents

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I guess what I don't understand is how less than 5 years ago Stern was making LE type games (BDK, POTC, SM, WOF, etc) for less than $3995 and made good money at it but now it's totally out of the question. The numbers don't add up to me to say that Stern can't sell games close to that, crap most pro's aren't that different than the LE's, the BOM cost can't be that much different (although the hype is much different). A lot of gouging going on.

I'm sure they can sell cheaper but why would they? Just because you think they charge too much? The price is driven by demand, not the cost on the BOM, or your opinion.

The profit of the business is driven by that BOM cost, labor cost, overhead, etc... vs the demand, so when you can charge 7k for a machine that a few years ago could barely sell for 4k that means that stern is actually finally making good money again. Keep in mind they were basically shutting the doors a few years ago when they were selling 4k machines and making "good" money as you put it.

People still seem to think stern owes them nib machines or something, as though stern is in this as a favour to us.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-the-pinball-industry-spiraled-out-of-control?tu=purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.